Bevell just fired a shot across my bow!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
bigskydoc":u6h2c5wp said:
Pretty sure Siouxiehawk is Bevell's wife

- bsd
Well, there's the whole Siouxhawk calling him by the pet name "Bev" so you might well be right cuz that is indeed what a wife would do.

Seafan

Reaction score
chris98251":2dybzjv9 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2dybzjv9 said:
chris98251":2dybzjv9 said:
Something changed, either Pete let him call the plays he wanted, Russell has more input in the game plan, they are using the whole playbook and not just the safe plays, or Pete told him to start protecting Wilson.

Wilson has been asking for a faster pace for two years, he is now getting that, he is also audibleing more and we are now using hot routes and the middle of the field and spreading the offense out, were even using shifts and some motion. Things that were not being done before.

I find it hard to believe all this was done in one week, they must have been practicing this stuff well before hand but not using it.

Pass protection.

Isn't it obvious? The offensive explosion is perfectly aligned with the O-line figuring it out.

hawknation2015":2dybzjv9 said:
Bevell reminds me A LOT of a previous Carroll play caller: Lane Kiffin. He has always been an arrogant SOB, even when things were not going his way. It's that lack of humility that bothers me more than anything else.

Further evidence that people have somehow allowed themselves to make this personal. As if Darrell Bevell is "arrogant". What total rubbish.

Again I don't believe that playing for what 8 weeks plus pre season and camp the offensive line was having problems, then in one week they all figure it out at the same time and sync up with no other changes other then Lewis at Center.

I'm calling Rubbish on that, they changed things that helped the line, faster plays with routes and releases, spread guys out so that the defense can't simply crash our line, give Wilson options to audible and have hot reads to call. The combination made it much easier for Wilson to make his calls, Lewis making line calls, and freedom to change things, using the middle of the field as well, adding shifts and motion. That's not just the O Line "GETTING IT"

Agreed.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
LymonHawk":1z4n6cps said:
bigskydoc":1z4n6cps said:
Pretty sure Siouxiehawk is Bevell's wife

- bsd

Jealous?

10vike0801.jpg

Take it or leave it.

-bsd

RiverDog

Reaction score
chris98251":o6iwni58 said:
Something changed, either Pete let him call the plays he wanted, Russell has more input in the game plan, they are using the whole playbook and not just the safe plays, or Pete told him to start protecting Wilson.

Wilson has been asking for a faster pace for two years, he is now getting that, he is also audibleing more and we are now using hot routes and the middle of the field and spreading the offense out, were even using shifts and some motion. Things that were not being done before.

I find it hard to believe all this was done in one week, they must have been practicing this stuff well before hand but not using it.

I'm not letting Russell off the hook that easily. In the previous 9 games, he has obviously not gone to wide open receivers at the 5-10 yard range and intentionally waited for a deeper route to come open. He may not be responsible for the play that was called, but certainly once the ball is snapped, the decision as to which receiver to go to is his responsibility.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The Seahawks' period of adjustment wasn't "several weeks". It was literally two. Their system was entirely different when they came back from the bye.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kearly":34240tg7 said:
That is damn funny. Love it.

It's also further proof that stuff people say on the internet and on radio eventually makes it's way into the ears of coaches. In this case, I believe some of the smarter criticisms may very well have contributed to the positive changes.

Not sure about the criticisms affecting it vs the sack rate, but I love the nonchalant way he mentioned it, LOL!

My conspiracy theory begins with Pete who, from the beginning. was so determined to stick with run, run, PA that he gave TC the henchman, collateral title of 'run game coordinator' in addition to assistant HC and OL coach. Pete, IMHO, was the biggest obstacle they had to overcome. How can Bevell not have his thinking constrained when Pete mandates his run-game henchman be integral to the game planning. I'm guessing that eventually not even TC could deny the OL issues, so he and Bev got together and came up with a plan they presented to Pete. "Look, the RB's will get just as many snaps, but we need to go more up tempo to help/fix many of our issues" My guess that Bevell didn't exactly feel shackled, but how could he not read into all of the emphasis placed on running and not try to stick to it for a piece?

Add in the fact that we couldn't lean on the D anymore, and you get the perfect storm that makes Pete budge.

chris98251

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2kdd9hau said:
kearly":2kdd9hau said:
That is damn funny. Love it.

It's also further proof that stuff people say on the internet and on radio eventually makes it's way into the ears of coaches. In this case, I believe some of the smarter criticisms may very well have contributed to the positive changes.

Not sure about the criticisms affecting it vs the sack rate, but I love the nonchalant way he mentioned it, LOL!

My conspiracy theory begins with Pete who, from the beginning. was so determined to stick with run, run, PA that he gave TC the henchman, collateral title of 'run game coordinator' in addition to assistant HC and OL coach. Pete, IMHO, was the biggest obstacle they had to overcome. How can Bevell not have his thinking constrained when Pete mandates his run-game henchman be integral to the game planning. I'm guessing that eventually not even TC could deny the OL issues, so he and Bev got together and came up with a plan they presented to Pete. "Look, the RB's will get just as many snaps, but we need to go more up tempo to help/fix many of our issues" My guess that Bevell didn't exactly feel shackled, but how could he not read into all of the emphasis placed on running and not try to stick to it for a piece?

Add in the fact that we couldn't lean on the D anymore, and you get the perfect storm that makes Pete budge.

Or Pete goes to Bevell and says we have a 20 million a year QB, he needs to stay healthy, he needs to be trusted to make the right call and his judgement is mostly sound, take the shackles off him and let him play.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
RiverDog":jkv803cs said:
chris98251":jkv803cs said:

I'm not letting Russell off the hook that easily. In the previous 9 games, he has obviously not gone to wide open receivers at the 5-10 yard range and intentionally waited for a deeper route to come open. He may not be responsible for the play that was called, but certainly once the ball is snapped, the decision as to which receiver to go to is his responsibility.

And if in the called play the intermediate routes were the last in his progression? Yeah, he's just supposed to disregard how the play is setup. Gotcha!

rideaducati

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":hcvxd3zc said:
RiverDog":hcvxd3zc said:
chris98251":hcvxd3zc said:

And if in the called play the intermediate routes were the last in his progression? Yeah, he's just supposed to disregard how the play is setup. Gotcha!

And if they weren't? I guess it would be a "gotcha" moment if you actually KNEW the progressions, but I highly doubt you do. By watching the plays over, it looks as though Russell would hit his drop point and then do nothing a LOT of times earlier in the season. Now he is hitting his drop and throwing the ball. I would bet on you being wrong because in the soundfx episodes and pressers, coaches were mentioning that Russell needed to get rid of the ball sooner and more recently, Russell is doing just that.

I don't see how the coaches could have thought to go to deeper routes earlier in the season with as porous as the offensive line was. Russell is getting rid of the ball a half second sooner on average than he was in the first half of the season and doesn't seem to be looking for "something better" on every play. I believe the improvement is mostly on Russell Wilson.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bad Bevell reared his ugly head today. Need to find the guy we had the last five weeks. Clearly was back to his default mode of empty sets, bubble screens, and outsmarting himself.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3hqjghts said:
Bad Bevell reared his ugly head today. Need to find the guy we had the last five weeks. Clearly was back to his default mode of empty sets, bubble screens, and outsmarting himself.

Isn't it funny that bad Bevell appeared again on the exact week the offensive line reverted back to being absolutely hopeless.

What a stunning coincidence...

Good quality blocking is everything to this team right now.

Seafan

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1eemjpyz said:
Sports Hernia":1eemjpyz said:

Isn't it funny that bad Bevell appeared again on the exact week the offensive line reverted back to being absolutely hopeless.

Not even close. The OL is mediocre. It's been that way all season. The difference is Bevell pulling his head out his arse and compensating by going to a spread offense and calling the quicker passes. Russell thrives in that. DB blew it early and often. They had some success in this game when they went back to what worked the previous five weeks.

I don't know how a coach thinks he's going to have success running consistently against that line or calling slow developing pass plays. Stupid game plan.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":19wcmsae said:
Sports Hernia":19wcmsae said:

Says the guy that has a history on these boards of not valuing o-linemen. Sorry Rob you can't have it both ways. O-line IS important, very important as we saw today. You're correct that "good quality blocking is everything to this team right now". I couldn't agree with you more.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":6cft5i4z said:
theENGLISHseahawk":6cft5i4z said:
Sports Hernia":6cft5i4z said:

Says the guy that has a history on these boards of not valuing o-linemen. Sorry Rob you can't have it both ways. O-line IS important, very important as we saw today. You're correct that "good quality blocking is everything to this team right now". I couldn't agree with you more.

Russell was holding the ball too long again too...when he had time. I'm sure a lot of that was because the receivers were ailing and may not have been getting open. The defense seemed to be playing the quick passes pretty well too. Live and learn. The Seahawks played like the game meant nothing and it showed. They'll get them next year.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
rideaducati":27i8tzmj said:
Russell was holding the ball too long again too...when he had time. I'm sure a lot of that was because the receivers were ailing and may not have been getting open. The defense seemed to be playing the quick passes pretty well too. Live and learn. The Seahawks played like the game meant nothing and it showed. They'll get them next year.
Sorry not on Russ "holding the ball too long" today. I saw several occasions when his first read wasn't open and he looked to his second. Within a half second their d-line was on him. Too many other occasions he never got to his 2nd read before being under pressure. The problems with the offense today rest nearly 100% on the o-line's inability to run block or pass block.