Bevell's Fireable Offense(s)

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Actually, I'm just a fan who supports the team. Some of you should try it. It's a pretty fascinating organization with a passionate assortment of characters.

edogg23

Reaction score
The sad part is that if you point out the trolling it can be taken as a personal attack and next thing you know your banned for the week.

el capitan

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2fspecus said:
He's done his part to make the Hawks one of the best teams in the league the past 6 years and one poor showing at home doesn't diminish that.

Just curious dude, which one poor showing were you referring too?

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
HansGruber":37iraiou said:
Siouxhawk reminds me of Tim Ruskell. And so does Bevell. Coincidence?

Don't bother to respond Sioux. I've got you on ignore like everyone else on this forum.

Agreed. lesson learned. Just figured out how to add to ignore, didn't know it was possible, thanks!

DeSeahawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":2efhdwzt said:
Dude, even you have to admit our offense is inconsistent. In my personal opinion it isn't fun to watch. Not every game has to be like the Houston one, which was a blast to watch offensively, but damn watching our offense is just awful. Let's go through our games.

GB: Offense is completely dysfunctional. The line gets destroyed and Russ has NO chance to do anything. Defense gives up 17 to Rodgers @ Lambeau, 7 of which come off a turnover at the 6 yard line. This loss is on the offense.

vs. SF: Start off the game moving the ball and drops/poor throws kill us in the endzone. Offense stymied until the end of the game where Russ pulls off a miracle drive to get us the TD. Defense plays well, has some lapses against Hyde but holds Hoyer under 100 yards passing. Defense gets the W.

TEN: Offense looks unprepared, guys aren't in sync, Russ missing throws. Defense starts out strong and shuts down a strong Titans offense for most of the first half. Penalties kill us on both sides. Offense comes alive at the end of the half and during the second half. Defense shits the bed. Total team failure.

Colts: Offense does nothing during the first half. Defense gets a TD and gives up a couple TDs. Team starts to play complementary football in the second half. Defense gets another score and offense puts up tons of points in the 4th. Total team success, but not a consistent game from either side.

@LA: Offense has a single good drive in the second quarter and gets a TD. Gives the ball away twice. Scores a total of three points off FIVE turnovers. Defense forces five turnovers, but almost lets the Rams win. Nonetheless, the credit for this win has to go on the defense.

Giants: Offense moves the ball at will but can't score for the life of them in the first half. Turnover leads to a quick seven points, but the defense shuts the Giants down outside of that. Offense comes to life in the second half for some complementary football. Total team win, but again not consistent.

Houston: Defense gets destroyed but offers a little value back with five sacks and three picks, one for a TD. Offense is great the entire game except for some redzone woes. Offense gets the W.

Washington: Offense is a joke until the fourth quarter where they get us up with less than two min left. Defense was playing great outside of one drive where the Skins got a TD. They give up another TD drive in less than a minute. Total team failure.

Not a single game played consistently throughout by both sides of the ball, but you can see that the offense has been the root of our problems. Something needs to change. I like Attyla's "infuse with new talent/philosophies" idea. It's worked great for the Rams and Eagles.

That's one hell of a game by game summary. Well done.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hangumhi":3da53zxz said:
I have always been a Bevell hater and will never change my mind. He sucks. When is the last time you can recall seeing an effectively and timely screen called? We are alway under pressure and teams love to blitz us. Screens should be a staple of this offense

I'm pretty lukewarm on Bevell, but it's not crazy for him to not call screens when the offensive line can't execute them. You call a screen in those conditions and it fails, it's a four-yard loss.

We might start seeing more screens to the left now that Duane Brown has arrived, but probably not the right.

Oh, and by the way - bubble screens, which everyone hates, count as screens. :p

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
And we regularly throw to our backs out of the backfield.
As far as screens and what Montana just wrote, does the ZBS make that more difficult?

chris98251

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":kgpoip22 said:
And we regularly throw to our backs out of the backfield.
As far as screens and what Montana just wrote, does the ZBS make that more difficult?

Yes because they are on their bellys or engaged, screens work best when you fake the hand off or the back looks like he is blocking and rolls to the open space, after initial engagement lineman pull to have a guy take out whomever is close and lead the runner till they find a seam or get a corner or the FB leads. Why the bubble screens are miserable, they are out there and are basically trying to make first guy miss hoping to hit a spot to burst and go.

mrt144

Reaction score
RB targets (and this is a little loopy because of the circumstances where procise and mckissic line up wide.)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... a/2017.htm

2017 - 15% among 292 targets
2016 - 17% among 548 targets
2015 - 17% among 472 targets
2014 - 17% among 432 targets
2013 - 16% among 410 targets
2012 - 19% among 402 targets

I don't know if I'd call less than 20% 'regularly'

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2odmqb3l said:
hangumhi":2odmqb3l said:
I have always been a Bevell hater and will never change my mind. He sucks. When is the last time you can recall seeing an effectively and timely screen called? We are alway under pressure and teams love to blitz us. Screens should be a staple of this offense

I'm pretty lukewarm on Bevell, but it's not crazy for him to not call screens when the offensive line can't execute them. You call a screen in those conditions and it fails, it's a four-yard loss.

We might start seeing more screens to the left now that Duane Brown has arrived, but probably not the right.

Oh, and by the way - bubble screens, which everyone hates, count as screens. :p

Don't you need a RB who can catch screen passes in order to successfully call screen passes?

Prosise is the perfect back for screen passes..................but....................ummm...................yeah. So now we got Rawls back there fumbling and dropping most of what's thrown to him.

If he can ever get his poop together, you'll see more screen passes. But Pete and Bevell sure as hell aren't going to install more screens in the offensive scheme package without a back then can depend on to do it right.

adeltaY

Reaction score
The screen pass inability is a joke. If your offense can't execute them, your offense is deficient. No ifs, ands, or buts. Practice running them until you get them down. They really aren't that difficult. Guess what, as bad as Rawls has been at catching the ball, and he did drop a screen, he caught a successful one against the Giants. Lacy was great in the screen game in GB too, surprisingly. This is on the coaches. Make it happen.

Yes, we use bubble screens, to polarizing effect - they're either losses or 10 yard gains. What about tunnel screens? Play action screens? Fake jet sweep screens? Our offense needs some diversity.

cymatica

Reaction score
adeltaY":1dunfbmd said:
The screen pass inability is a joke. If your offense can't execute them, your offense is deficient. No ifs, ands, or buts. Practice running them until you get them down. They really aren't that difficult. Guess what, as bad as Rawls has been at catching the ball, and he did drop a screen, he caught a successful one against the Giants. Lacy was great in the screen game in GB too, surprisingly. This is on the coaches. Make it happen.

Yes, we use bubble screens, to polarizing effect - they're either losses or 10 yard gains. What about tunnel screens? Play action screens? Fake jet sweep screens? Our offense needs some diversity.

Yes and this is why I think our recievers are always plastered and our oline has a tough time. There is very little diversity in playcalling. Makes it easy for a defense to guess whats coming and the players are asked to do way more execution wise. The screen pass is one example. Defenses never have that to worry about in the back of their mind

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
We might not run the traditional screen like the Niners did with Gore, but we still utilize the back leaking out of the backfield and tight end screens with success. I know one screen we used with success was the play-action toss to the fullback. But since we don't have a fullback on the roster now, scratch that idea.

And I'd say we get about 4 yards a pop with the bubble, which is about what we are looking for since it's a) positive yardage and b) loosens up the run game.

Could very well be that Prosise or McKissick finds some room with such a play tonight.

Honest question would be does Russ carry out those screens well. Seems like he favors the outside more with his options.