Big picture

nash72

Reaction score
titan3131":1b6hbqw3 said:
- With Malik getting a double team and still pushing the pocket we will be getting MANY MORE SACKS on 3rd down. And less almost there sacks.

But please continue posting your crazy takes - I need a good laugh.

Crazy takes? Your already giving McDowell double teams when he might be the next Aaron Curry. Talking about a good laugh, at least let the kid play a down first.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
nash72":33qxcknz said:
titan3131":33qxcknz said:
- With Malik getting a double team and still pushing the pocket we will be getting MANY MORE SACKS on 3rd down. And less almost there sacks.

Crazy takes? Your already giving McDowell double teams when he might be the next Aaron Curry. Talking about a good laugh, at least let the kid play a down first.

And any lineman that you wanted to draft could be the next Joekel. Since that is the case it was better to draft the DL because we already had Joekel on the team.

nash72

Reaction score
TransGenderHawkFan":zjag03w5 said:
nash72":zjag03w5 said:
titan3131":zjag03w5 said:

And any lineman that you wanted to draft could be the next Joekel. Since that is the case it was better to draft the DL because we already had Joekel on the team.

Or they could have been the next Walter Jones, but we will have missed out because we didnt even try.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
nash72":1llnwaii said:
Or they could have been the next Walter Jones, but we will have missed out because we didnt even try.

This is just patently stupid.

You don't just take a guy in full on DJ Humphries fashion to 'try' to get something you don't think is there. One can quibble about how we arrive at who we think is good. But I'd defy you to list players we 'missed out on' by passing on them with our top picks.

I can't see any blatant misses.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
nash72":pfcu38ip said:

This was by far the worst O-line draft in 15 year, with a record low number of first round O-lineman drafted (3).

Jones is a once in a decade lineman, to say we might have missed on another Jones is about as far of a stretch as you could possibly make. Especially in this year's draft...........we should be commending our FO for NOT trying to reach on a lineman.

Pocic is actually one of the only lineman I've gotten excited about that we've drafted in I don't even know how long.

nash72

Reaction score
I dont understand all the love for Pocic. We need help on the left side and he isnt going to be playing there.

nash72

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":29xsbv68 said:
nash72":29xsbv68 said:

You don't just take a guy in full on DJ Humphries fashion to 'try' to get something you don't think is there. One can quibble about how we arrive at who we think is good. But I'd defy you to list players we 'missed out on' by passing on them with our top picks.

Ramczyk, Lamp, and Robinson will all be better than Fant and Jokel. I'll never understand the Jokel signing. When he's not hurt and actually plays, he's awful and rated one of the worst at his position. This is our upgrade?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
nash72":1r63c1oh said:
I dont understand all the love for Pocic. We need help on the left side and he isnt going to be playing there.

You'll love him next year when we don't give Britt a big long term extension.

If there's one thing we've learned about Pet and John when it comes to borderline good offensive lineman............they're perfectly happy letting someone else overpay them come 2nd contract.

xgeoff

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2pbxcnrl said:
Big picture, and I know this isn't popular, the offensive line wasn't our biggest problem. Our two biggest weaknesses were the lack of a dominant power runner, and the lack of interior pressure.

C'mon man. Even Marshawn wasn't able to get yards when he faced teams that met him 3 yards deep in the backfield. Remember the Rams game his last season with us? I do. He was stuffed. Over and over again. Our problem in the run game wasn't that we were getting 1 or 2 yds per carry. It was that we were losing 2 or 3 yards per carry.

That's not the RB's fault.

And our defense, though I agree it lacked interior pressure at times, was still ranked in the top 5. And where would it have been if Earl hadn't been injured? It was ranked #1 when he got hurt.

There is a reason that so many people on this board are clamoring about the O-Line. You want to stop Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers? You put pressure on them. When they don't get adequate protection, they look average.

You don't protect Russ, you get Suh stepping on his ankle.

It's the OLine. It's the biggest problem bar none.

In 2015 the crazy good offensive numbers put up at the end of the season were due to the OLine gelling and giving Russ time. And how did we exit that season? The Panthers totally trashed our Line in the first quarter. We couldn't do anything. They got their act together in that game and we almost pulled it out, but that game should be made into a Poster sized infographic for anyone who doesn't think the OLine is the biggest issue we have.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
nash72":ro9l274c said:
Ramczyk, Lamp, and Robinson will all be better than Fant and Jokel. I'll never understand the Jokel signing. When he's not hurt and actually plays, he's awful and rated one of the worst at his position. This is our upgrade?

I think Lamp sure might. Although length is really an issue with him. He's an interior guy. But I agree I expect him to be significantly better than Pocic. Time will tell. I can tell you I would have rather taken Lamp/Wormley than McDowell/Pocic.

I am not high on Robinson in the least. I think Pocic could be better straight up. But I could be totally wrong.

Ramczyk I liked. But the medical on him is real. Hip labrum issues should provide a Percy Harvin sized scare in any Hawks fan. If you ball that with just one year as a starter and having quit football for years before deciding the real world was hard -- I don't have any problem letting some other team burn a first round pick on that. Medical, lack of body of work, advanced age and desire flags = no first round dude. If this were any other draft, he's a late 3rd round guy.

xgeoff

Reaction score
nash72":v66lgyej said:
Attyla the Hawk":v66lgyej said:
nash72":v66lgyej said:

I agree with you that the Joekel signing makes no sense to me, largely because of the guaranteed money. I'm all for signing him, but don't guarantee him that money!

Fant is really interesting to me. I'm holding off judgement. On the one hand, his athleticism is so compelling. And, frankly, I would think that Basketball would be a good training ground for an offensive linemen. Think about it, in Basketball on defense you are always positioning yourself in front of another player, preventing them from going where they want to go. You have to fight thru picks, you have to block out on rebounds. You have to have quick feet. You have to get your body in position and lever yourself against someone pushing you towards the basket.

My big problem with Fant is that he doesn't seem to be using those basketball skills. I think he's trying too much to play football. Use your feet to get in front of the DLinemen and box him out. He should never be beaten around the edge, but it happens far too much.

But last year was his first in the league. He's got the size, athletic ability and physicality. If he gets his head right, I think he can be very good.

On Robinson, i don't like the kid's tape. I don't think he'll be good. Lamp and Ramczyk will do well, I believe.

Pocic is an interesting proposition. I liked Lamp's tape much much more, but that doesn't mean that Pocic won't be good. And I think the kid can play any position along the line. We'll just have to play wait and see. Heck it took 3 years for Britt to play well IMO.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
xgeoff":1ptr3lz6 said:
My big problem with Fant is that he doesn't seem to be using those basketball skills. I think he's trying too much to play football. Use your feet to get in front of the DLinemen and box him out. He should never be beaten around the edge, but it happens far too much.

But last year was his first in the league. He's got the size, athletic ability and physicality. If he gets his head right, I think he can be very good..

You answered your own concern with Fant. All the tools, not enough football time to properly develop.

Thus the Joeckel signing, it'll give Fant another full year to develop into hopefully a complete tackle and solid backup in 2017, then starter next year.

nash72

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1chqrscm said:
Wow, so Pocic hasn't played a down in the NFL and he's already a bust Nash? :mrgreen:

How in the world did you come up with this idea out of what I posted? I said we need help on the left side of the line and Pocic wont be playing over there. He'll play on the right side if anywhere.

nash72

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":xzatjuay said:
nash72":xzatjuay said:

If there's one thing we've learned about Pet and John when it comes to borderline good offensive lineman............they're perfectly happy letting someone else overpay them come 2nd contract.

And this is why we are in the predicament that we're in. Let somebody else have the good lineman and we'll continue to get our QB and RB's killed all the while wondering why it happened. Its a downright stupid philosophy.

If Pocic was only drafted to take Britts place next season then its a worse pick than I thought it was.

nash72

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1svrfi71 said:
If this were any other draft, he's a late 3rd round guy.

If this was any other draft Pocic would have been a 5th or 6th round pick.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
nash72":1wh9hwby said:
Sgt. Largent":1wh9hwby said:
nash72":1wh9hwby said:

And this is why we are in the predicament that we're in. Let somebody else have the good lineman and we'll continue to get our QB and RB's killed all the while wondering why it happened. Its a downright stupid philosophy.

If Pocic was only drafted to take Britts place next season then its a worse pick than I thought it was.

Would you have given guys like Carpenter and Sweezy big 2nd contracts? How bout Unger who just got hurt again and is expected to miss maybe part of the regular season?

Sweezy never even played a down last year, and got a 20M contract, Carpenter's making 8M a year to stink in NY.

So we can debate on our drafting skills and overall philosophy about the O-line issues..........but if your'e arguing that we should have overpaid our mediocre lineman to stay? Then you're flat out wrong, no way in hell those guys were worth what they got paid, and Britt will be no different.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2f87d13l said:
nash72":2f87d13l said:
Sgt. Largent":2f87d13l said:
nash72":2f87d13l said:

Would you have given guys like Carpenter and Sweezy big 2nd contracts? How bout Unger who just got hurt again and is expected to miss maybe part of the regular season?

Sweezy never even played a down last year, and got a 20M contract, Carpenter's making 8M a year to stink in NY.

So we can debate on our drafting skills and overall philosophy about the O-line issues..........but if your'e arguing that we should have overpaid our mediocre lineman to stay? Then you're flat out wrong, no way in hell those guys were worth what they got paid, and Britt will be no different.

And doing so would have meant a worse Defense.

Complaining about the "philosophy" being stupid is complaining about a super bowl, since that's how it was won.

nash72

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":21c9isxx said:
nash72":21c9isxx said:
Sgt. Largent":21c9isxx said:
nash72":21c9isxx said:

We're paying Jokel the same as what Carpenter is making, so yeah I believe Carpenter would be an upgrade to what we have now. 20M for Sweezy? No. Just No. Nobody knew Unger was going to get hurt so thats a moot point. We got really lucky Britt turned out to be a decent center.

I dont know man. I dont have the answers, but our FO sure doesnt either. Its a shame having a line this horrid with the nucleus of talent we have right now. Just wish we were better off at left tackle.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
nash72":m7s8dt0s said:
We're paying Jokel the same as what Carpenter is making, so yeah I believe Carpenter would be an upgrade to what we have now. 20M for Sweezy? No. Just No. Nobody knew Unger was going to get hurt so thats a moot point. We got really lucky Britt turned out to be a decent center.

I dont know man. I dont have the answers, but our FO sure doesnt either. Its a shame having a line this horrid with the nucleus of talent we have right now. Just wish we were better off at left tackle.

This whole thing started with your criticism of drafting Pocic, and I think he's going to not only be a solid addition to the line, but push for a starting job this year...........AS WELL AS being insurance for center if we don't resign Britt.

And I've been critical of our FO with how they've handled the O-line for 3-4 years now.

If our defense isn't going to be the lights out 2012-2013 version warranting all those fat contracts we handed out like Tic Tacs? Then it's time to rethink the overall team philosophy and start moving cap money over to the offensive side of the ball.......most critically the O-line.