Big Reason For The Turnaround

kearly

Reaction score
The schedule is easier for sure, but the current version of the team is tops in the NFL in weighted DVOA, a stat that factors strength of opponent.

Pittsburgh is basically the AFC's version of Seattle, they have beaten Cincy and Denver in successive weeks and look like the best team in the AFC lately. A team that can beat Pittsburgh can beat anybody right now, and Seattle beat them.

Dizzlepdx

Reaction score
I honestly think the schedule has absolutely nothing to do with it. If you take this team, take them back and replay the exact teams we played early, we win every game, and blowout the bad teams we barely beat. Just the improvement in the offense alone, especially RW's growth over the course of this year is enough for me to feel this way. Danny Kelly's article below hits on some of the points which he covers better than I can. Now you can say that the easier schedule is what has allowed him to have more growth, but I really believe that is negligible. The offense is handling pressure completely different, RW's throws are on target and in rhythm, often into very tight coverage, and when pressure does force him to move, he's not nearly as panicky with his scrambling. Games are being called very differently, or they're giving RW freedom to make different changes. Before you choose to give credit to the schedule, remember when we beat Dallas by 1 point, on a day when Cassel threw for 97 yards and their top rusher was McFadden for 47 yards, and we had to kick a field goal with a minute left to get that win? Remember that team? It was dreadful to watch. If you STILL think schedule should be credited, fine. But it should be the last thing on your list.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/12/21/10636606/seahawks-replay-booth-russell-wilson-nfl-tyler-lockett

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2lhoxon9 said:
But there is no doubt we are playing better football in this 5 game span than anytime before this season.

Winning didn't just happen because the competition trended downward ....19 TD's - 0 picks thrown, Russell Wilson getting a few more seconds for the plays to develop, and his QBR had skyrocketed.
Your original Post infers that the Seahawks didn't improve, and that the reason for the victories is because the play of the competition dropped off...I just don't agree.
Thomas Rawls picking it up when it was obvious that Marshawn Lynch wasn't fully healthy.
The O-Line who SUCKED earlier in the Season, got MUCH better at picking up some skills and giving RW much better Pass Protection and more consistent push for the Run Game.
After losing some CLOSE games early on this Season, Pete Carroll probably realized the mistake of playing conservative too early in the second half, because that trend bit him and the Seahawks in the ass, appears to have decided that they needed to keep stepping on the gas, and putting games away.
He also knew that the players had been improving enough to pull it all off.
Russell Wilson won in a shootout ( 5 passing TD's) with Ben RoethlisBooger, so actually, it doesn't matter that the Steelers 'D' had been floundering at stopping the run.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":1zmj5p9n said:
[agree on some disagree on most. Flip the schedule and we are still struggling at the beginning, maybe not as much but still struggling. The question is if the schedule was flipped and we won say 2 more games then we did as it is, would they have felt the need to make the changes that has gotten the offense to were it is now? I say no. So we would have gone into what would now be the tougher part of our schedule with the same issues that were masked by a weaker schedule. AS to our "weaker schedule" I have to disagree there as well, Minny is 8th in scoring defense, injuries are part of the game, and they held Az to only 23 points, Pitt is 11th in scoring defense, the other 3 teams we scored way more than they had been giving up. So while I get your point, the reality is we have played very well even against good scoring defenses. Just as more of a point our next 2 teams are 121th and tied for 6th in scoring defense. SO we have played teams in the same area and played really well.
A first!No QB in this post. :th2thumbs: Anyway my thought is without Kam,a hurt Beast,weak Williams and a weak OL we still would have lost 2 or more.Things needed to change sooner to avoid 5 losses .

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3kt5pmh6 said:
I completely agree that we would have beaten some of the teams we lost to earlier in the season if we played them now. It also doesn't help that it looks like GB and Cincy were clearly playing their best football early in the season.

But as I lurk on these boards and seeing everyone crediting the turnaround to RW, the offense, no Cary, the offensive line, etc. There is no doubt that the schedule also has to be brought up.

As big of a difference as there is from Nowak to Lewis, there is as big a difference between playing @ GB and playing at home against Cleveland. Big difference between playing @ Cinci and playing @ Baltimore against a Flaco-less Ravens.

So yes lets give credit where credit is due.

Credit to the 49ers for sucking and becoming one of the worst teams in the league.

Credit to Cleveland for continuing to be one of the worst franchises in all of sports.

Credit Baltimore for being the most injured team in the league

Credit to Minnesota for timely injuries

And credit Pittsburgh for having a horrible secondary

can you discredit stuff more next time? JFC, pitt just beat the broncos.... those 3 guys that the vikings lost does not equal a 31 point ass beating...... we are playing fantastic football the last 5 weeks.... IMO we are 5-0 against any 5 teams in the league you choose.... not every team is beating the piss out of the last 5 teams we have....

BigMeach

Reaction score
Please burn this thread.

It's harshin my mellow.

RiverDog

Reaction score
kearly":1lr16s77 said:
The schedule is easier for sure, but the current version of the team is tops in the NFL in weighted DVOA, a stat that factors strength of opponent.

Pittsburgh is basically the AFC's version of Seattle, they have beaten Cincy and Denver in successive weeks and look like the best team in the AFC lately. A team that can beat Pittsburgh can beat anybody right now, and Seattle beat them.

Kansas City actually has the hotter hand, winning their last 8 in a row, which includes the Steelers. They could very well surpass the Broncos and win the AFC West.

But if we were in the AFC, I'd be more leery of facing the Steelers than I would be the Chiefs. The Steelers have the more dangerous offense. I'd much rather face Alex Smith than I would Worthlessburger.

djb28

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1kozu8bw said:
I agree that injuries are part of the game, but Minnesota was without their best Dline player, without there stud LB Barr and without both safeties. That would be similar to if we played without Bennett, Wagner and Earl. Injuries are still no excuse, but it is something to keep in mind. Even if Minny were healthy I still think we would have beaten them.

I don't care about stats because they get skewed by weak opponents etc. Pitt is not a good defense. Easily a bottom 5 secondary.

All I'm saying is that it's not some miraculous turn around from the horrible AZ game to this 5 game win streak. The schedule plays a big part. But there is no doubt we are playing better football in this 5 game span than anytime before this season.

I think Injuries are an excuse. How many teams have the luxury of having their back ups be as good as their starters? Probably no one. No team will be as good with key players out as they are healthy. But I agree with both sides of this discussion. I am just enjoying this weird but now -Very Cool season!