Biggest mistakes in the PC & JS Era

Maxman186

Reaction score
TAB420":2olmapf7 said:
McGruff":2olmapf7 said:
Charlie Whitehurst and it isn't even close.

The only thing that mitigates that at all is the fact that CBJ is still a highly paid backup in the NFL. Why? I don't know.

You can't go wrong with picking Jesus.

Attachments

• ClipboardJesus.jpg
    ClipboardJesus.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,083

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Respectfully...

How in the hell do you blame them for trades they did not make? It takes TWO teams to make a trade, not one. It make no sense.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1g7c0l08 said:
Respectfully...

How in the hell do you blame them for trades they did not make? It takes TWO teams to make a trade, not one. It make no sense.
true!

Throwdown

Reaction score
Scottemojo":20zivi28 said:
Respectfully...

I mean they were close on the Marshall thing, Marshall went last minute to the Dolphins in that sign and trade. I don't see how you fault them for that.

The good thing about these mistakes is they didn't set the franchise back in any way.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
yeash28":185bzcue said:
lendale white?
wasn't he a free agent that got dropped before preseason? I don't get how that was anything more than your kicking the tire transaction

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1i64lqy5 said:
Most here will agree, we have one of, if not the best head coach and GM tandems in the NFL. They have made somewhere around 1K personnel transactions in the last 4 years and have proven to be an elite pairing. Of all the draft picks, trades, Free Agent signings, cuts, and non-resigns what do you think are some of the biggest blunders this front office has made.

Here's a few that come to mind for me

Traded for Charlie Whitehurst (swapped 2nd rd and gave up a 3rd)
Drafted James Carpenter in the 1st round
Signed Sidney Rice to a 5 yr $41 mil contract
Drafted John Moffit in the 3rd
Not trading for Vincent Jackson or Brandon Marshall when we had he chance

I know we have made tons of great moves but everybody makes mistakes and I'm curious what everyone thinks are our biggest mistakes

Easy. Chain of events.

Trading away a 1st and 3rd/2nd to Miami could have kept us away from drafting Carpenter and we never pay Sydney Rice. And we have Brandon Marshall instead.

So off that list we save ourselves from 3/5th of those bad transactions. Can't believe people don't know this lol.

That said I still give our front office an A+.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
1. Percy Harvin trade/contract

2. Sidney Rice

(I've never liked a single viking wr ever, so im not surprised at their failures)

3. Whitehurst. I can't remember a 3rd string QB ever commanding so much in draft picks and salary, so the fact that a completely bizarre trade went badly just reinforces how bad the move was.

4. Carp. His own coach was shocked he was drafted so high. Carpenter didn't even feel like he was a 1st rounder. He showed up totally out of shape because apparently he doesn't know that you can exercise without a coach telling you to. Injuries have only caused things to get worse.

Pete and John get credit when their unorthodox moves work out, but they also deserve criticism when it fails. I guess that's what we have to deal with, but it doesn't excuse them.

I definitely know which moves I hate the most (please just stop signing vikings, there is a common theme with them and it begins with B and rhymes with "dust") but their good and great moves FAR OUTWEIGH their bad moves. What they have been able to do on defense is amazing and if they can fix the offensive side we will be a force to be reckoned with for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time

Go hawks!

-The Glove-

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":2yj6bsqu said:
1. Percy Harvin trade/contract

2. Sidney Rice

(I've never liked a single viking wr ever, so im not surprised at their failures)

3. Whitehurst. I can't remember a 3rd string QB ever commanding so much in draft picks and salary, so the fact that a completely bizarre trade went badly just reinforces how bad the move was.

4. Carp. His own coach was shocked he was drafted so high. Carpenter didn't even feel like he was a 1st rounder. He showed up totally out of shape because apparently he doesn't know that you can exercise without a coach telling you to. Injuries have only caused things to get worse.

Pete and John get credit when their unorthodox moves work out, but they also deserve criticism when it fails. I guess that's what we have to deal with, but it doesn't excuse them.

I definitely know which moves I hate the most (please just stop signing vikings, there is a common theme with them and it begins with B and rhymes with "dust") but their good and great moves FAR OUTWEIGH their bad moves. What they have been able to do on defense is amazing and if they can fix the offensive side we will be a force to be reckoned with for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time

Go hawks!

Lol you're nothing but consistent

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I would so love to bring up the thread when we got Whitehurst and I got reamed for criticizing that move.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1txj31aj said:
Most here will agree, we have one of, if not the best head coach and GM tandems in the NFL. They have made somewhere around 1K personnel transactions in the last 4 years and have proven to be an elite pairing. Of all the draft picks, trades, Free Agent signings, cuts, and non-resigns what do you think are some of the biggest blunders this front office has made.

Here's a few that come to mind for me

Traded for Charlie Whitehurst (swapped 2nd rd and gave up a 3rd)
Drafted James Carpenter in the 1st round
Signed Sidney Rice to a 5 yr $41 mil contract
Drafted John Moffit in the 3rd
Not trading for Vincent Jackson or Brandon Marshall when we had he chance

I know we have made tons of great moves but everybody makes mistakes and I'm curious what everyone thinks are our biggest mistakes

I can't agree with Carpenter or Moffitt... Offensive Line was a huge need at the time and Cable had his floor. It wasn't his fault that the year they needed talent also happened to be the year where other than the first three lineman chosen: Tyron Smith, Mike Pouncey, and Nate Solder... no other lineman in that draft made any impact. It also didn't help that unfortunate injuries ended both their rookie seasons as they were starting to pick up the system.

Rice was an okay contract, its not like its really hurting us now or got in the way of things, and they were definately paying him to endorse the Seahawks which helped the team become a destination. Yeah, it just sucked with the injuries but you can't control that.

How do you know the Seahawks didn't try to trade for them... if I remember correctly they inquired about both players.

themunn

Reaction score
I still find it difficult to criticise PC/JS for the Whitehurst trade, the guy has all the physical tools, it's hard to get a good reading on a guy without having him in the system first though.
And I never felt we overpaid either. QBs are never cheap, and we gave up a 2011 third round pick for a trade in 2010 - a pick that ended up being 89th because we made the playoffs. Oh, and although we traded seconds, we picked up Golden Tate with that 2nd in the end.

Jury is still out on the Harvin trade, but you could also say that about Bruce Irvin and Christine Michael too. I have faith that all 3 will work out for the best in the end.

I would say rather than "biggest mistake" is that I still don't have great faith in the FO's ability to draft WRs, Tate is the only success story and he took two years to finally get there. Durham and Harper never worked out. Additionally we have traded for/picked up high priced WRs Rice and Harvin, and one proved to be injury prone, the other has only played 3 games for us so far. Fortunately we have mitigated that somewhat with an ability to pick up undrafted receivers like Baldwin, Kearse and Lockette, so it's not the biggest issue in the world.

BASF

Reaction score
You guys talk about Durham like he is no longer in the league. He had a decent season for a third receiver in Detroit. Most receivers take a couple of seasons to become impact players. Harper is currently in Green Bay, so it's not like he is out of the league yet.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Correct. The only reason our wr picks look suspect is becsuse we keep hitting homers in the udfa market.
You can hold their feet to the fire for mitakes but if your being fair they would still have the coolest feet in the bussiness compared to the hits and misses of the rest of the league.

yeash28

Reaction score
-The Glove-":2lqnektp said:
yeash28":2lqnektp said:
lendale white?
wasn't he a free agent that got dropped before preseason? I don't get how that was anything more than your kicking the tire transaction

gave up a 4h and 6th during the draft for him and vickerson, so not quite a free agent... plus cut him 2 months later

seabowl

Reaction score
1-The Bruce Irvin pick. I still do not see him ever being an impact player.
2-we will see on this one but letting Tate sign elsewhere. Guy is just entering his prime and it will be hard to find a better punt returner than him. He filled in 2 positions.
3-Again early on this one but trading to draft Jesse Williams. I know he was injured but even watching tape on him he looks like he will not hold up at this level. Looks like an egg on stilts.

Atradees

Reaction score
Didn't like Irvin so high, better guys available.
We were reaching for need.
Last year's draft? Weird.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
As for Marshall, I wonder if he would have been unhappy here. He seems to like playing most with Cutler and he would have been in a run first offense here with (at the time) an aging Matt Hasselbeck and then T-Jack throwing the ball to him. His numbers would have gone way down and it's possible he may have not been a team player during that stretch.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Whitehurst
Flynn
Carpenter in the first round
Irvin in the first round, good player just not at a first round pick
Turbin at KR

Cutting Sean McGrath last year when Miller was out. Seemed to be pretty good at Kansas and looked good in pre season.

Harvin could be one if he can't stay healthy (I think he'll have at least one injury free season though)

Jury is out on the 2013 draft class until the guys start playing.