Biggest mistakes in the PC & JS Era

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Carpenter/Irvin for me. Both horrid value for the pick.

I won't hold 4th round wrs against them. Especially since we have hit on so many other late rounders. Can't all be winners when drafting in quantitiy late.

I understand the need for the rice/whitehurst/Flynn deals. Don't think any of them were a huge mistake and I am surprised to see so many people hating on Rice. It was an important signing for our team at the time. That was the cost to bring a player of his caliber in to a team that was horrible before. It got the ball rolling and had no real impact on building the rest of the roster. Flynn was the worst to be sure, but we cut bait and actually gained picks from it. Didn't impact resigning our good young players or keep us from being competitive.

Throwdown

Reaction score
yeash28":khnl27pe said:
-The Glove-":khnl27pe said:
yeash28":khnl27pe said:
lendale white?
wasn't he a free agent that got dropped before preseason? I don't get how that was anything more than your kicking the tire transaction

gave up a 4h and 6th during the draft for him and vickerson, so not quite a free agent... plus cut him 2 months later

I thought we got him for free just by moving back a few picks?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":14fw7sdt said:
Carpenter/Irvin for me. Both horrid value for the pick.

I won't hold 4th round wrs against them. Especially since we have hit on so many other late rounders. Can't all be winners when drafting in quantitiy late.

I understand the need for the rice/whitehurst/Flynn deals. Don't think any of them were a huge mistake and I am surprised to see so many people hating on Rice. It was an important signing for our team at the time. That was the cost to bring a player of his caliber in to a team that was horrible before. It got the ball rolling and had no real impact on building the rest of the roster. Flynn was the worst to be sure, but we cut bait and actually gained picks from it. Didn't impact resigning our good young players or keep us from being competitive.
I keep trying to read your post but for some reason your avatar is causing me to lose focus............

Seriously, you've covered it pretty much for me. Irvin still has a chance to be worthy of his slot in the draft but his time is getting short. As for Carp, I just don't see it, ever.
I'll add Turbin at KR for too long as others have on this thread and releasing Rob Sims as well.

yeash28

Reaction score
Throwdown":ifq7gsqi said:
yeash28":ifq7gsqi said:
-The Glove-":ifq7gsqi said:
yeash28":ifq7gsqi said:
lendale white?
wasn't he a free agent that got dropped before preseason? I don't get how that was anything more than your kicking the tire transaction

gave up a 4h and 6th during the draft for him and vickerson, so not quite a free agent... plus cut him 2 months later

I thought we got him for free just by moving back a few picks?

yep, turns out i dont know what i'm talking about... traded back two picks. seemed a bigger deal to me when it happened. my bad

chris98251

Reaction score
Carp may be a slow developer, getting a full off season to get in real game shape may really show what we have, you can't control injury situations. Moffit talent no heart player. Mid round misses I don't call real mistakes, they have something and lack something, if they were all that they would have been first rounders,you try to see if the lacking department can be coached up, if not you let them go. We have hit far more then missed in this area.

Whitehurst and Flynn, we were looking for a leader and future guy to lead the team, both brought the competition up for Hass and then TJack and Wilson.

As far as mistakes over all, players not here we drafted are across the league making contributions, they are not here because someone was better, Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse as examples, you can't say that we whiffed and won because of players that stepped up over a drafted player. Heart is a difficult measurable as well as Lasik :)

Sims is the biggest error I think we have made. Proven player, not expensive, young at the time. That was a personnal decision I am sure having to do with Gibbs as stated, not a performance one.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Wenhawk":xmfu9ict said:
I don't want people to think I'm all about doom and gloom. Just thought it was an interesting topic. I really liked the Rice signing at the time and even think he was a decent player for us. Only issue wad he was injured a lot and his salary didn't meet his production., which if we had traded for Jackson or Marshall we might not have signed Rice or had to trade for Harvin.
Only snag in the idea of going for Marshall, is I don't think neither Carroll nor Schneider believed his head was on straight enough to buy into Pete's Philosophies.
I think that Flynn proved to have that same disease, as Owens and a few others that were brought in to compete.
I believe Flynn was just unwilling to even try to wrap his head around the concept of having a dynamo Rookie QB come in and take his dream job away, so I think in retrospect, it was a mistake to sign him for that big of a deal.

chris98251

Reaction score
In retrospec yes, but if Wilson was grabbed by another team we would all be happy at least for a short time unless we grabbed Foles maybe instead. I can't even remember if Foles was still available at that time though.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I hate being a fan some times and how it entitles most that they think they know everything and how we think we can do such a better job in hindsight. And I'm as guilty of it as anyone.

But what gets under my skin and absolutely pisses me off is the continuation of trashing on our players DESPITE winning a Superbowl.

You say Carpenter wasn't the worth the 25th pick but then pick a Lineman who was, because you'll find out at least Carpenter is still on his original team and has a chance to be a starter.

Tell me how easy it is to come back from multiple knee injuries and 2 years of rehab when you're 6'5, 330 pounds... where is the appreciation for the man that he was able to stay healthy and gain much needed experience? Not here.

Where you see one man's failure, I see his potential, I believe Carpenter could have been a dominant G had he not gone through injuries, and I still see it... he has to put in the work but he has talent to dominant if he can be consistent.

You say Bruce Irvin wasn't worth the 15th pick but frankly the only pass-rusher who was is probably Chandler Jones. But I doubt Jones has LEO potential like Irvin has LEO potential.

I guess leading your class in sacks and being one of the league leaders in pressure per snap despite being a raw pass-rusher who wasn't coached up in the college game is not good enough.

I guess changing positions, despite being called one-trick pony, and told that he's not smart enough to play LBer but he did better than what anyone could have imagined. Sure it was a work in progress but he looked natural in a flurry of moments. And then you guys act like it means nothing because he didn't make impact plays. Any of you think for a player coming into his own like Irvin would have growing pains in out-performing a whole defensive system of play-makers. And its likely Quinn designed the defense for Irvin to be more of a role player than play-maker. Each person does their job, own their responsibilities that's how the #1 DEFENSE in the last two seasons, and one of the best DEFENSES in the NFL operates.

And what is Bruce Irvin's potential (im ) he still has all the potential to be a dominant LEO and playing LBer was a step of experience in the right direction. And if his future doesn't end up as a pass-rusher... his other potential is dominante coverage LBer that has the athleticism to nullify WR on LBer mismatch, athletic TEs, recieving RBs, with the ability to chase down athletic QBs while providing solid pass-rushing ability if called upon. How many LBers in the NFL has that potential? I'm not saying Irvin will achieve that success but that potential does exist.

I appreciate what this team has done, each and every player. If helping to win a Superbowl is a mistake then so be it... I'll believe in them and always looked at from the glass is half full perspective.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
The OP asks for "Biggest mistake in the PC & JS era". I would probably lean toward the Whitehurst trade or Carpenter Draft. But to offer a non-player alternative to the discussion, the hiring of Alex Gibbs and Jeremy Bates seemed like a fairly major error on the part of Pete Carroll. Both are very stubborn, and clashed often. Gibbs really seemed like he had one foot in retirement, and was never known as someone to compromise. Bates insisted on his offense, even though the team lacked any real vertical threat. In hind sight, it would seem that the clash was inevitable. Gibbs quitting a week before the regular season started, and then having to fire Bates after the end of the regular season could have been very costly in a rebuild program.

garrylt4

Reaction score
Drafting DE E. J. Wilson instead of Greg Hardy but hindsight is 20x20

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":2bwb72bf said:
The OP asks for "Biggest mistake in the PC & JS era". I would probably lean toward the Whitehurst trade or Carpenter Draft. But to offer a non-player alternative to the discussion, the hiring of Alex Gibbs and Jeremy Bates seemed like a fairly major error on the part of Pete Carroll. Both are very stubborn, and clashed often. Gibbs really seemed like he had one foot in retirement, and was never known as someone to compromise. Bates insisted on his offense, even though the team lacked any real vertical threat. In hind sight, it would seem that the clash was inevitable. Gibbs quitting a week before the regular season started, and then having to fire Bates after the end of the regular season could have been very costly in a rebuild program.

Good one. Glad Oakland fired Cable.

hawk45

Reaction score
Carpenter and Irvin by far. Carp is barely a starter as a first rounder. Irvin I would rather not start if it means less Malcolm Smith.

CBJ and Flynn were low-cost attempts to find a field general without sinking the franchise like Arizona did, and it worked. We didn't tie ourselves to their future, so we could jettison them and still build the SB champ team. Although yeah, do not see what they saw in CBJ.

But yeah, what a difference when we have to really search to find the mistakes, and when the mistakes are against a backdrop of plucking all-pros out of later round picks. JS is the best executive in the NFL and it isn't close. JS and PC are the best mind-meld tandem in the NFL, and historically great together IMO. Pete is Bill Walsh, Monte Kiffin - esque with the way he dropped a new system on the league that the league spent years catching up to and will emulate.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Heath Ledger took a few too many pillllllllz

Thats got to be the biggest mistake

That, or Harold Campings end times prediction.

FAIL

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Carp is definitely their biggest miss. Then Whitehurst. I give more of a pass on the latter because I value QB very highly and even though it was 2 picks - I respect the hell out of them for trying to make something out of nothing. But at the end of the day, the front office really whiffed on talent evaluation.

As for Matt Flynn, it is a wash because we traded him to Oakland - thus jettisoning his salary and got a pick to do so. If anything Matt Flynn showed the genius of the front office. Wait until the market cools and sign a great value contract for a QB. Take a legend in the third round. Start the legend. Cut ties quickly and get some value while not footing the bill.

Lastly, I don't get the Irvin hate. He got 8 sacks his first year and then changed positions his second year (which obviously takes time to learn) and played well. He certainly wasn't a liability or a bust for a 17th pick. He was raw when he started anyway. I am excited to see how he does this year. He can play LEO, WILL and SAM. He isn't even close to the Aaron Curry level of suckitude.

hawk45

Reaction score
Irvin isn't a liability but I like Malcolm vs the run more and don't feel he's such a huge liability vs the pass that there's clamoring for Irvin out there. And Malcolm was no 17th pick.

Still time for Pete to figure out how to make Irvin a monster somehow though.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
So much for being appreciative for players that not only helped shaped this team but put their bodies on the lines so fans like you could enjoy a freakin Championship.

Damn.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
All FOs will make mistakes. If I stick with really glaring errors, I'm hard pressed to find a really big one other than Whitehurst. Early draft picks like Carp and Irvin are looking iffy right now but it's not over yet. If they keep their good move to bad move ratio as good as its currently been the good times will last for quite a while

Anyone know what the Chargers turned the Whitehurst pick into?

seahawk 17

Reaction score
Carpenter draft choice. I will never forget the look on Saban's face and him asking out loud, "what?"

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
seahawk 17":3te5j04y said:
Carpenter draft choice. I will never forget the look on Saban's face and him asking out loud, "what?"

Kinda funny now though :p He knew right away, "bad pick". Now we know, too.

djb28

Reaction score
Breno was a nasty in your face mauler. Shouldn't have let him go.
Tate was just electric in every phase. Shouldn't have let him go.

I will wear black everyday in mourning like a sad Greek lady.