Bills Waive/Injured WR Mike Williams

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":11u4biag said:
SomersetHawk":11u4biag said:
I saw he cleared waivers, I'd assume they'll release him shortly.

he was released with an injury designation, so after clearing waivers, they have to put him on IR. They have 5 days to negotiate an injury settlement before they can release him. I'm not clear if those 5 days count the weekend or if it's basically until next Tuesday, but either way, if they don't reach an injury settlement, he'll just sit on IR for the remainder of the season.

We'll see if he was serious about wanting to play for a contender this year or not. If he was, he'll take an injury settlement and try to sign elsewhere. If he wasn't, then he'll just sit on IR and collect his check.

Apologies, I worded that badly, realised he had to agree to be released per settlement, just assumed he would given the reports he wants to go to a contender.

I'm think both parties want rid of each other, I'd be surprised if he wasn't with a new team by the end of the season.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1th89869 said:
kidhawk":1th89869 said:
SomersetHawk":1th89869 said:

he was released with an injury designation, so after clearing waivers, they have to put him on IR. They have 5 days to negotiate an injury settlement before they can release him. I'm not clear if those 5 days count the weekend or if it's basically until next Tuesday, but either way, if they don't reach an injury settlement, he'll just sit on IR for the remainder of the season.

We'll see if he was serious about wanting to play for a contender this year or not. If he was, he'll take an injury settlement and try to sign elsewhere. If he wasn't, then he'll just sit on IR and collect his check.

Apologies, I worded that badly, realised he had to agree to be released per settlement, just assumed he would given the reports he wants to go to a contender.

I'm think both parties want rid of each other, I'd be surprised if he wasn't with a new team by the end of the season.

I'm sure even if he does want to walk away, he'll still have his people negotiate to try to squeeze every penny he can get first, because he's unlikely to get much money before this off season. Anyone who signs him will likely just sign him for the rest of the year and let him be a free agent in the off season due to the perceived risk levels. He'd also be walking away from a guaranteed $5 million owed by the bills if he negotiates a settlement offer. He'll definitely have to put his money where his mouth is if he wants to play for anyone else this year.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":2gxnnfte said:
wow, how do we not get all over this?

My guess is because we're a running team first and foremost and we just fixed a bunch of chemistry issues we had with the team. Not sure that now is a good time to inject a wildcard into the situation - especially with how the last 3 weeks have gone.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":1laoc0qq said:
SomersetHawk":1laoc0qq said:
kidhawk":1laoc0qq said:
SomersetHawk":1laoc0qq said:

I'm sure even if he does want to walk away, he'll still have his people negotiate to try to squeeze every penny he can get first, because he's unlikely to get much money before this off season. Anyone who signs him will likely just sign him for the rest of the year and let him be a free agent in the off season due to the perceived risk levels. He'd also be walking away from a guaranteed $5 million owed by the bills if he negotiates a settlement offer. He'll definitely have to put his money where his mouth is if he wants to play for anyone else this year.

It'll come down to what they're both willing to compromise. That $5million doesn't look so sweet if it comes at the expense of a wasted year when you're supposedly in your prime. Williams will want a decent chunk of it, but the Bills will probably be happy to get rid of him with any amount of savings.

Brahn

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2z4z3479 said:
Chukarhawk":2z4z3479 said:

My guess is because we're a running team first and foremost and we just fixed a bunch of chemistry issues we had with the team. Not sure that now is a good time to inject a wildcard into the situation - especially with how the last 3 weeks have gone.

Is he an upgrade over Walters?

Bring him in

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Reports are he'll be released shortly once healthy. I assumed next years money was guaranteed, apparently it turns out it's not.

Hope we go after him, here's a more positive report on Williams... http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/i ... _play.html

Seems a similar situation to Marshawn, might just be the case of a misunderstood guy playing in the wrong regime. Let's go and crap on the Bills again.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":13hefdxl said:
Reports are he'll be released shortly once healthy. I assumed next years money was guaranteed, apparently it turns out it's not.

Hope we go after him, here's a more positive report on Williams... http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/i ... _play.html

Seems a similar situation to Marshawn, might just be the case of a misunderstood guy playing in the wrong regime. Let's go and crap on the Bills again.

Sounds more like the Bills are willing to eat the guaranteed portion of his contract. His base salary of 2015 is $5.2 million and it's fully guaranteed

2014 season:
Base salary: $1.2 million (fully guaranteed)
Workout bonus: $600,000
Cap charge: $1.8 million

2015 season:
Base salary: $5.2 million (fully guaranteed)
Roster bonus: $1 million (paid on third day of league year)
Cap charge: $6.8 million

2016 season:
Base salary: $5.6 million
Cap charge: $7.2 million

2017 season:
Base salary: $5.9 million
Cap charge: $7.5 million

2018 season:
Base salary: $4.15 million
Roster bonus: $4 million (paid on third day of league year)
Cap charge: $8.75 million

[urltargetblank]http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/8700/breaking-down-mike-williams-contract[/urltargetblank]

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Brahn":3gv5k81n said:
volsunghawk":3gv5k81n said:
Chukarhawk":3gv5k81n said:

Is he an upgrade over Walters?

Bring him in

Percy was an upgrade over Walters too.

Not sayin', just sayin'

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":34oc3sh3 said:
Sounds more like the Bills are willing to eat the guaranteed portion of his contract. His base salary of 2015 is $5.2 million and it's fully guaranteed

2014 season:
Base salary: $1.2 million (fully guaranteed)
Cap charge: $1.8 million

2015 season:
Base salary: $5.2 million (fully guaranteed)
Cap charge: $6.8 million

2016 season:
Base salary: $5.6 million
Cap charge: $7.2 million

2017 season:
Base salary: $5.9 million
Cap charge: $7.5 million

2018 season:
Base salary: $4.15 million
Roster bonus: $4 million (paid on third day of league year)
Cap charge: $8.75 million

[urltargetblank]http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/8700/breaking-down-mike-williams-contract[/urltargetblank]

I've heard that he's only guaranteed that if he's on the roster in 2015, whereas cutting him before then will cost them nothing.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2p1nwrio said:
I've heard that he's only guaranteed that if he's on the roster in 2015, whereas cutting him before then will cost them nothing.

The article says the Bills are on the hook for the base salary in 2015. Spottrac says the same thing in figuring the dead money on their site.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":1oygfaik said:
SomersetHawk":1oygfaik said:

The article says the Bills are on the hook for the base salary in 2015. Spottrac says the same thing in figuring the dead money on their site.

Spotrac says 2015 salary fully guaranteed on 3rd day of 2015. Over the cap says they can save $6.8m by cutting him before 1st June 2015. Would be interesting to get some clarification on this, but I guess we'll have it soon.

Other than their ESPN guy Rodak, I've seen his fully guaranteed money is $9.4m, which he's already earned. Though you would have thought they might have been able to trade him if it was that easy for a team to get rid before next season.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":uzhjjfiq said:
kidhawk":uzhjjfiq said:
SomersetHawk":uzhjjfiq said:

Spotrac says 2015 salary fully guaranteed on 3rd day of 2015. Over the cap says they can save $6.8m by cutting him before 1st June 2015. Would be interesting to get some clarification on this, but I guess we'll have it soon.

Other than their ESPN guy Rodak, I've seen his fully guaranteed money is $9.4m, which he's already earned. Though you would have thought they might have been able to trade him if it was that easy for a team to get rid before next season.

You're right, I misread the spotrac site. I followed across the 2014 line for dead money and not the 2015 line. They are truly only on the hook for this season's salary when they cut him, which is just a few hundred thousand at this point.

The ESPN article is where I'd originally got the information, then checked spotrac, and saw the $7 million figure. Now that I see it's for 2014 and 0 for 2015 it makes more sense.

This is what I get for relying too much on ESPN and not digging a little deeper.

Latest posts