Blueprint out on goff & Rams ?

Jac

Reaction score
Palmegranite":iad9nlvg said:
Jac":iad9nlvg said:
.. for the stars to align for a Super Bowl appearance, you better win it because history suggests you won't be making it back the following year.

Of course the Patriots being the exception to the rule; 2018/2019.

Yeah, pretty much every football thread on any topic could start "Unless you're the Patriots, ..."

NINEster

Reaction score
Jac":1w4sqkqq said:
Palmegranite":1w4sqkqq said:
Jac":1w4sqkqq said:
.. for the stars to align for a Super Bowl appearance, you better win it because history suggests you won't be making it back the following year.

Of course the Patriots being the exception to the rule; 2018/2019.

Yeah, pretty much every football thread on any topic could start "Unless you're the Patriots, ..."

I remember after the Niners lost the SB there was a stat saying the last team to lose the SB and then win it the very next year was back in the early '70s. As far as merely making it you'd have to go back to the Bills of the early '90s.

The Patriots have just bucked that trend, but of course for the rest of the league that's an outlier and most likely the Rams will not play/win the Super Bowl next year based on this.

Knowing this in advance I was rooting for the Rams to get into the Super Bowl once they made it to the NFC Championship Game.

Generally speaking, making/winning the SB has been hard on teams the following season.

As for the Rams, I think they will be fine as a team but will take a step back while Goff struggles a bit to pick up the slack that their schematic dominance apparently no longer exists.

When the Seahawks and 49ers were at full tilt a few years ago, you could say that the style of offenses were generally best suited for championships. The QBs were not elite but good fits to complement a power run game and defense.

That the Broncos did it a few years back with even worse QB play suggests this formula might be most ideal, but of course very hard to build such a team these days.

mrt144

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":2xbuecsg said:
The Patriots are using a power run game and playaction on offense to try to hold the ball. Weird we saw that from Shotty yet here he is the worst OC ever.

I bet you are more familiar with a 'Drag' route than Schotty is.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
mrt144":a3qp4eam said:
WestcoastSteve":a3qp4eam said:
The Patriots are using a power run game and playaction on offense to try to hold the ball. Weird we saw that from Shotty yet here he is the worst OC ever.

I doubt that.

mrt144

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3lgetkk6 said:
mrt144":3lgetkk6 said:
WestcoastSteve":3lgetkk6 said:

I doubt that.

Oh right, I forgot to consider that Schotty might have that listed under a big "No" category on his laminated sheet.

mrt144

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":7zmsfgrv said:
Put pressure on Goff, he folds. No blueprint needed.

The devil is in the details though isn't it?

A. Do we have the players to do it?
B. Can we do it with the minimal personnel dedicated like 4 man rush?
C. Do we have a weak link that can be exploited while doing this and how do we compensate there if at all?
D. How much does it differ from our SOP already?

chris98251

Reaction score
mrt144":3qzhr5bj said:
SoulfishHawk":3qzhr5bj said:
Put pressure on Goff, he folds. No blueprint needed.

The devil is in the details though isn't it?

A. Do we have the players to do it?
B. Can we do it with the minimal personnel dedicated like 4 man rush?
C. Do we have a weak link that can be exploited while doing this and how do we compensate there if at all?
D. How much does it differ from our SOP already?

Lat year it was do we have the healthy players to do it.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
getnasty":2n596jya said:
Is the blueprint out on the Patriots too then.
It's been out since 2007: have a nasty pass rushing defensive line and rush four with the occasional blitz, man up and double team the slot guy, and put a corner on the running back split wide.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":ir4nngbb said:
getnasty":ir4nngbb said:
It's been out since 2007: have a nasty pass rushing defensive line and rush four with the occasional blitz, man up and double team the slot guy, and put a corner on the running back split wide.
That's a somewhat useless oversimplification, IMO. The Patriots scheme to their opponents better than any other team in the league by FAR, and that's the real secret to their success. The Giants, with their stellar D-line at the time, beat the Patriots in both of those Super Bowls by a COMBINED seven points...

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1xsr8duy said:
5_Golden_Rings":1xsr8duy said:
getnasty":1xsr8duy said:
That's a somewhat useless oversimplification, IMO. The Patriots scheme to their opponents better than any other team in the league by FAR, and that's the real secret to their success. The Giants, with their stellar D-line at the time, beat the Patriots in both of those Super Bowls by a COMBINED seven points...
This is where I tend to have a controversial opinion on this. I do NOT think it's their adaptable game planning that makes them so successful. I think it is their execution of the few things they do on offense. And if you watch them, it isn't nearly as much as you might think. Take during the touchdown drive where they essentially ran the same play three times in a row. Mike Martz' Rams did far more on offense than these Patriots, but what the Patriots do, they as a unit execute it so absurdly well that you can't really stop it.

That is not to say that Belicheat isn't adaptable. He is. But when Brady is under center, you really see the same thing every game. The curl-flat stuff, the stick concepts, the pivot routes, the TE seam, and the empty spread formations out of 12 and 21 personnel. That and a balanced run game, and you've got their offense. What separates them is that everyone is 100% on the same page. It is a lot like the Bill Walsh 49er years. It's a short rhythm passing game that frustrates defenses into over-committing and leaving deep plays open.

So, my controversial opinion is that it's execution that separates the Patriots, not variety.