Bobby Wagner Contract Speculation

kearly

Reaction score
cacksman":2xienc8q said:
I'm in the boat of hoping we can sign Wagner for around $8M/yr, but if it takes $10M to get it done, so be it. Didn't Maxwell just sign for around the same? The two aren't even in the same conversation in regards to impact on the defense.

I am one of Maxwell's biggest fans. And I completely agree.

BuZzB28

Reaction score
Yeah Bobby Wagner is a great defense. He is very good a tackle for top 1st to 3rd place. If we lost him then we will have problem a defense. We should sign him for 10 millions a years. Whatever he want. Pay the man!

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
BuZzB28":1id36jza said:
Yeah Bobby Wagner is a great defense. He is very good a tackle for top 1st to 3rd place. If we lost him then we will have problem a defense. We should sign him for 10 millions a years. Whatever he want. Pay the man!

Is that you JS?

the ditch

Reaction score
I'd be upset if we ended up with KJ over Bobby, I think we overpaid KJ for what he brings and I hope that KJ's contract doesn't mean that Wagner could be on his way out, just hope it doesn't come to bite us in the butt.

King Dog

Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but I was terrified before the draft that we were going to be rolling with Barrett Ruud that season :)

In hindsight, we ended up getting a 7th rounder I think for Ruud which is awesome. Anyone know who that pick ended up being or what we did with it?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
the ditch":2jdc57ua said:
I'd be upset if we ended up with KJ over Bobby, I think we overpaid KJ for what he brings and I hope that KJ's contract doesn't mean that Wagner could be on his way out, just hope it doesn't come to bite us in the butt.

Every cap scenario I've read comes to the conclusion that we have the cap space to extend both Russell and Bobby this off season.

No way Pete and John would have decided on KJ over Bobby if it was an either/or scenario.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
This is legitimate torture to some of you guys.

I think Wagner's ext will see him get 8m apy over 5 if you include this year. Probably, a 8-10m SB.

Kearly is likely spot on with his 4/38m.

I think Irvin signs for 5 for 35-38m. $7-8m apy. I think his numbers will be low/manageable his first few years. Then his age 30 season, when he's stouter, stronger, smarter, and likely slower they'll move him to LEO. And think he'll have all the tools, polish, and instincts to dominate the position more so than when he was a raw rookie. And he'll make $9-10 mil per on the last two years of his deal. Something like 4.5, 5.5, 7, 9, 10 cap hits.

What I think I'll love about Wagner is when he's toast as an elite MLB, he could become a solid stop-gap SLB.