Bobby Wagner is the best defensive player in Hawk history.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
I’d actually rank Sherman above Thomas. Sherman in his prime was IMO the best corner to play in the modern NFL.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
K.J WRIGHT":3iwl3gk7 said:
Sherman wasn't here long enough.
Sherm played here for SEVEN seasons...in many players' cases, that's an entire career. The "wasn't here long enough" response is flat-out silly. I mean, Earl was here for what...nine? C'mon, man... Sherman was THE ELITE cornerback in the NFL during his time here, and it wasn't close.

That being said... Wagner is just about as good a MLB as has ever suited up. Tez, Easley, Sherm, Chancellor, Green... they're all in the discussion.

themunn

Reaction score
As far as MLBers go, who would you take over him from past 30 years?

Ray Lewis sure, although Bobby Wagner the person >>>>>>>>Ray Lewis the person

Mike Singletary maybe, drafted 31 years earlier.

Junior Seau? I say it's a toss up.

Nobody else I'd consider, Urlacher, Willis and Kuechly are up there but I'd take Wagner before any of them.

Fantastic player and congrats on yet another pro bowl nod.

For at least 3-4 years people been saying he's slowing down and nearing his last year here, yet here he goes leading the league in tackles. Can't see him hanging up the cleats any time soon

IndyHawk

Reaction score
gobosgumbo518":2pntgdga said:
I will take 1 Kenny Easley please.
Bingo..Lots in here never saw him play and he's in the HOF!

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
IndyHawk":2d7p77qy said:
gobosgumbo518":2d7p77qy said:

Easley also didn't have near as much cover in the depth around him at other positions. I love BWagz, and Kam, and Sherm, but they all had the advantage of lots of pretty hi class help. Not sure you could say the same in Easley's play time.

glang58

Reaction score
Same problem with Tez. Lots here too young to have seen him play. Guy was NFL Defensive POY on a team that went 2-12. Absolutely dominant monster. Love Wagner, Easley and Sherm, but Cortez Kennedy is #1.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hmm, good debate.

Hard to argue that Wagner's not the greatest Hawk defender ever when you factor in longevity of greatness, Pro Bowls and we assume putting on a gold jacket one day.

But at THIS very moment in time? I gotta go Tez.

NFL Defensive Player of the Year (1992)
3× First-team All-Pro (1992–1994)
2× Second-team All-Pro (1991, 1996)
8× Pro Bowl (1991–1996, 1998, 1999)
NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
Steve Largent Award (1996)
Seattle Seahawks Ring of Honor
Seattle Seahawks No. 96 retired

Bobby's got a SB ring, but hasn't won a defensive player of the year award, nor 3 first team All Pro's. Which IMO is a more relevant and legit award than Pro Bowl's, which are just a popularity contest.

But get back to me in another 3-4 years if Wagner continues to put up numbers and collect more Pro Bowls.

OP
OP
K

K.J WRIGHT

gobosgumbo518":pxh2tmgi said:

Damn! I forget about him..LOL. I would say a tie with Bobby.

OP
OP
K

K.J WRIGHT

themunn":1gm8enbn said:

Nobody else I'd consider, Urlacher, Willis and Kuechly are up there but I'd take Wagner before any of them.

For at least 3-4 years people been saying he's slowing down and nearing his last year here, yet here he goes leading the league in tackles. Can't see him hanging up the cleats any time soon

When Seau was in his prime, I've never seen a better MLB.

OP
OP
K

K.J WRIGHT

Appyhawk":qsn9qcjz said:
IndyHawk":qsn9qcjz said:
gobosgumbo518":qsn9qcjz said:

That would be accurate.

Easley also didn't have near as much cover in the depth around him at other positions. I love BWagz, and Kam, and Sherm, but they all had the advantage of lots of pretty hi class help. Not sure you could say the same in Easley's play time.

There's some truth to that.

iigakusei

Reaction score
themunn":1fr0i1e8 said:

He hasn't been great this year and is definitely slowing down. Unfortunately the best thing for the team next year is to say goodbye to Bobby and thank him for being one of the greatest Hawks ever.

iigakusei

Reaction score
K.J WRIGHT":1q9de38a said:
He does lead the league in tackles.
True - but especially with the Hawks defense I think that stat is misleading. One - our DL is pretty terrible and RB's are always getting to the 2nd level. Two - I dont know the exact stats, but the Hawks defense must be on the field for the most plays in the NFL by far, thus the opportunities for more tackles. Isnt Brooks in the Top 5 for tackles as well? I think Wagner is still an okay player, but you cant keep him next year at a $20 million cap hit if you want to improve the team. Move Brooks to MLB, say goodbye to Bobby and put that 20 Million into DT.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
K.J WRIGHT":1lfv9wlo said:
gobosgumbo518":1lfv9wlo said:

Damn! I forget about him..LOL. I would say a tie with Bobby.

Easley is my favorite Hawk player of all time, but he didn't play long enough IMO to be considered the greatest Hawk defender.

Still have his poster hanging in my garage.

6711874943395734df247127395fd65b

If we're talking about raw talent, athleticism, physicality and Lawrence Taylor-esque ferociousness and hitting? Yep, Easley is #1.

But greatest? Idk, I think that's where you have to bring in things like SB's, stats, etc. That's the only way you can separate great players.

Latest posts