Poll: The Seahawks Are At a Pivotal Point in their History

Who Should Be the Head Coach next season?

• Total voters

Fade

Reaction score
Reaching to blame coordinators at this juncture is a bridge too far. Given what we've watched transpire over the past 8-10 years.

Who's the guy in charge of this mess?
Who has their fingerprints all over it?
It's probably that guy's fault. Just saying.

But this leaves us at a pivotal point in Seahawks history. With our fate in Judy's hands.

86njwn

How many years is it allowed to continue, also ? Because it's been screwed up for a long time. They just no longer have a Franchise QB to clean up Pete's mess anymore and mask the reoccurring issues. So many bad, dysfunctional teams carried by Pro-Bowl QB play as they stumbled into the playoffs. When other teams get that level of play from their QB. They make playoff runs. The Seahawks? Barely make the playoffs.

Geno did it for a half a season last year. Then came back to earth, they honestly only made it because for the first time in league history 7 teams got in, and the Rams & Cardinals took a dump at the same time. It was a fluke. But make no mistake, the issues and problems have been there for a long time. Regardless if you think it was a fluke or not. With only 1 common denominator.

Let's just say hypothetically it is the OC's fault. Well, Pete can't hire coordinators to save his life, either. So you're just swapping stooge for stooge. As you've seen over the years already. it won't fix it.

A healthy, well run franchise would recognize it's time to move on.

Keeping Pete at this juncture makes them the Bengals since the Super Bowl Loss. That window where they kept Marvin Lewis all those years. 16 years in fact. Made the playoffs a lot, didn't do anything when they got there. Just how Pete has been cruising for the last 10 years.

Then there's the division. McVay and Kyle in the same division. You cannot afford to fall so far behind on the coaching front. And they have done just that out of sentimentality. This is what sentimentality gets you, mediocrity at best.

Everyone currently is railing on the OC. I'm far more concerned with the DC. He is calling games worse than Waldron is on offense by far. #21 had his back to the sideline nearly the whole game. (Indicator of zone.) These players on defense are not being used properly at all. He is calling a Ken Norton style gameplan. Well because it's Pete's plan. When they should be a stacked front team, which brings pressure from everywhere, with confusing coverages (they only sprinkle this in). They are literally doing the opposite of how they are built on defense to play, and trending towards bottom 5 in the league. (Give it a few more weeks.) This thing is screwed anyway you want to dissect it. Offense, Defense, Penalties, Accountability (Lack there of), etc.

The Seahawks are in a desperate need of a new coaching staff ASAP. Top to bottom.

An Offensive HC, who can develop your very likely upcoming QB draft pick would be my plan A.

A Defensive HC, (Dan Quinn!) and trade/sign a veteran QB (Defensive coaches suck at developing QBs.) would be my plan B.

The ball is in your court, Judy.

Last edited:

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Fade, I created a lot a post, where Pete Carroll, stays HC cause Seattle has no choice and does not want to change…

I’m not saying i disagree with your opinions and takes but it will take alot to replace Carroll.

Especially, when they are NOT ready to sell the franchise…which will be soon…

DeSeahawk

Reaction score
Both your A and B are attractive to me. Love the offensive coach for developing a young qb, but I also like having a defensive monster coach and having an off coordinator that runs that side. I guess my choice would depend on the actual candidates.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Fade, I created a lot a post, where Pete Carroll, stays HC cause Seattle has no choice and does not want to change…

I’m not saying i disagree with your opinions and takes but it will take alot to replace Carroll.

Especially, when they are NOT ready to sell the franchise…which will be soon…

I understand.

But carrying on this charade could be very damaging in its own right. The players get a sniff that Pete is only here while they wait to sell, it's mail it in time.

Pete is also ruining his legacy. You see there are a lot of kids that have gone through school. They were little kids when the Seahawks won the Super Bowl, they don't really remember it. All they know Pete for his mediocre years.

Pete would do himself a big favor if he just retired. However, I know guys like Pete. They just don't know when to quit. You have to take the keys from Grandpa. He has no problem crashing the car again and again.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Both your A and B are attractive to me. Love the offensive coach for developing a young qb, but I also like having a defensive monster coach and having an off coordinator that runs that side. I guess my choice would depend on the actual candidates.

They both sound more appetizing by the day, don't they? Juxtaposed with the staying the same, stuck in Pete's Purgatory.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Fade, I hear what your preaching, but its in despair. We all have two more years of Pete no matter what. He is here until his contract is up so buckle in. Jody just wants the next couple of years to go by and then she'll sell and then the new blood will come in whoever that may be.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Fade, I hear what your preaching, but its in despair. We all have two more years of Pete no matter what. He is here until his contract is up so buckle in. Jody just wants the next couple of years to go by and then she'll sell and then the new blood will come in whoever that may be.

Whelp, in the meantime. I'll just have some fun, post some memes, and laugh at the jokers that are on board with this continuing, along with Judy.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I chose Pete.

This is not a blind endorsement. There are obvious issues that have cropped up in recent years.

I'd like to see a wholesale slate-wiping of staff. Waldron and Dickerson out, Hurtt out, Sanjay Lal out. Retain Larry Izzo, Karl Scott, Deshawn Shead, Neiko Thorpe, BT Jordan, Carl Smith.

On my shortlist for OC would be Kevin Patullo, Frank Reich, Dan Pitcher, Jerrod Johnson, Greg Roman, and Bobby Engram.
On my shortlist for DC would be Jesse Minter, Brandon Staley, Robert Saleh, Ejiro Evero, and Joe Whitt Jr.

We've got a head start on the roster, and last time we cleaned house it was a catalyst for big improvements. We didn't have that head start in 2018, but if we had, it would've been dangerous considering how close they were to the NFCCG the next year in 2019.

Get a new staff together and be bold when it comes to securing a quarterback. Cousins, if he can be swayed, has this team competitive instantly for a few years. Draft route might be costlier in terms of overall expenditure (considering likely trade up), but cheaper on cap. I'm high on pairing Jayden Daniels with Kevin Patullo and getting sort Hurts-style magic going, but that's just my thought process.

I do not buy into the idea that no one wants these jobs one bit. Defensive coaches might give pause because it looks better on the resume to be DC under a HC with offensive background.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
To add, as to background:

I don't particularly care which side of the ball they come from. I don't want to limit the field that way. Hire a guy who has a solid philosophy and strong sense of identity. Hire the best leader.

DeSeahawk

Reaction score
They both sound more appetizing by the day, don't they? Juxtaposed with the staying the same, stuck in Pete's Purgatory.
Yeah man. Especially since this isn't a new thing. The team has been stuck for years now. It's gotten really old

WarHawks

Reaction score
I was pretty sure nothing would change until Pete's contract was up in two years, but assuming they keep playing this abysmally bad, I don't see how they would not be forced to make major changes. Fans will start booing en masse and putting paper bags over their heads soon. They can't operate like that for two more years. Pete has to go. It's time. It's way past time.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
I chose Pete.

This is not a blind endorsement. There are obvious issues that have cropped up in recent years.

I'd like to see a wholesale slate-wiping of staff. Waldron and Dickerson out, Hurtt out, Sanjay Lal out. Retain Larry Izzo, Karl Scott, Deshawn Shead, Neiko Thorpe, BT Jordan, Carl Smith.

On my shortlist for OC would be Kevin Patullo, Frank Reich, Dan Pitcher, Jerrod Johnson, Greg Roman, and Bobby Engram.
On my shortlist for DC would be Jesse Minter and Joe Whitt Jr.

We've got a head start on the roster, and last time we cleaned house it was a catalyst for big improvements. We didn't have that head start in 2018, but if we had, it would've been dangerous considering how close they were to the NFCCG the next year in 2019.

Get a new staff together and be bold when it comes to securing a quarterback. Cousins, if he can be swayed, has this team competitive instantly for a few years. Draft route might be costlier in terms of overall expenditure (considering likely trade up), but cheaper on cap. I'm high on pairing Jayden Daniels with Kevin Patullo and getting sort Hurts-style magic going, but that's just my thought process.

I do not buy into the idea that no one wants these jobs one bit. Defensive coaches might give pause because it looks better on the resume to be DC under a HC with offensive background.
First of all, good morning.

Second of all, is this a joke?

(Not the keeping Pete part. But formulating actual coaches that fit what Pete wants to do and know his west coast system, and 3 deep zone defense.)

Your OC list makes no sense. Greg Roman is nothing like Frank Reich schematically. They are polar opposites.
It seems you have no style of play in mind, and no understanding of offensive systems, just throwing out names. It reads like a spaghetti thrown at the wall list.

I don't know if you have ever coached. I have (Not football.)

But quality coaches like their systems and their way of doing things.

Defensive coaches that are not in Pete's realm of things are off the list automatically. Philosophical differences.

Then the guy's that have pelts on the wall, and want to run things their way are also off the list because they can easily go to other situations where they have control. Your Fangio's of the world, etc.

It's not an accident that the last 3 DCs have been "Yes" men, Pete stooges. Even going back to Gus Bradley. He was a Monty Kiffin disciple the same as Pete. Quinn just happened to be on staff when Pete arrived and Bradley signed off on him. Essentially lucking into him. No legitimate DC would ever accept operating under Pete's thumb. With Pete all you get are cronies. This is what you are left with. As Pete clearly wants to run his soft 3 deep zone come hell or high water.

This team drafted for change, only to fall back into the same old dinosaur scheme. It's been horrific to watch if you know football. The scouts have to be tearing their hair out, at this juncture.

The final, but not likely category would be desperate failures. Guys out of the league, and just desperate to get back in. (Willing to compromise their system for Pete. That was Schotty, as it was his only IN to being an OC again.)

Speaking of which, Offense is a whole 'nother can of worms. As Pete insists on being apart of that as well.

Quality OCs are going to go with offensive HCs, first. As it fast tracks them to HC jobs. And they relate better to the issues that arise inevitably during a football season and learn a helluva lot more in the process.

2nd, they will go with defensive HCs that are entirely hands off, and leave them alone.

3rd, the cronies and "Yes" men category. Which is what Pete will be picking from. As he insists his philosophy be implemented into whatever is being run.

For example, Pete is on the record for keeping 70% of the offensive playbook when Schotty arrived. And Schotty had to learn Seattle's playbook language (he had to learn West coast verbage), and Schotty could put in his 30% "add to that" as Pete put it.

After Waldron's first game with the Seahawks they looked like the Ram's, but by week 2, they already started falling back to the old ways. And Pete is on the record again stating, "Shane is real open to the things we do around here."

Pete is going to want a guy who knows west coast verbage, preferably from the Alex Gibbs/Shanahan tree, and be willing to do things his way. An up and coming coach with any value will avoid Pete like the plague.

Waldron was a huge get, believe it or not. But Waldron thought he was going to coach Russell Wilson, and be a HC in 2 years. I guarantee he regrets taking this job.

A vote for Pete is a vote for cronies. And if you're cool with that... well... best of luck to ya.

Cousins shredded his Achilles and is old. He will be looking to sign with a contender, not a rebuilding team. With a fully guaranteed contract at that and the Seahawks are capped out. If they keep Waldron and let him fully implement the system (The system Kirk has played in his entire career.) it could work. But this is all mediocre stuff. This is not a championship plan. Just more mediocrity. With Pete continuing to get hammered by Kyle and McVay.

morgulon1

Reaction score
It dawned on me recently just how much purgatory we've allowed as fans. A decade of underwhelming slightly above average football with promises of grandeur right around the corner.

I know in my heart there's talent in this team that a better coach could be successful with. Watching SF run the same routes over and over made me nauseous.

Pete is old and way past his prime . He has money . He can go back to cheating on his wife like he did at USC.

Take away Grandpa's keys before he kills someone.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
I was pretty sure nothing would change until Pete's contract was up in two years, but assuming they keep playing this abysmally bad, I don't see how they would not be forced to make major changes. Fans will start booing en masse and putting paper bags over their heads soon. They can't operate like that for two more years. Pete has to go. It's time. It's way past time.
I think the fanbase will be at a 99% agreeance by the time they play the Titans.

They are going to continue to get hammered until then.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
It dawned on me recently just how much purgatory we've allowed as fans. A decade of underwhelming slightly above average football with promises of grandeur right around the corner.

I know in my heart there's talent in this team that a better coach could be successful with. Watching SF run the same routes over and over made me nauseous.

Pete is old and way past his prime . He has money . He can go back to cheating on his wife like he did at USC.

Take away Grandpa's keys before he kills someone.
Yeah man. Better late than never, but it's been waaaay past time.

morgulon1

Reaction score
First of all, good morning.

Second of all, is this a joke?

(Not the keeping Pete part. But formulating actual coaches that fit what Pete wants to do and know his west coast system, and 3 deep zone defense.)

Your OC list makes no sense. Greg Roman is nothing like Frank Reich schematically. They are polar opposites.
It seems you have no style of play in mind, and no understanding of offensive systems, just throwing out names. It reads like a spaghetti thrown at the wall list.

I don't know if you have ever coached. I have (Not football.)

But quality coaches like their systems and their way of doing things.

Defensive coaches that are not in Pete's realm of things are off the list automatically. Philosophical differences.

Then the guy's that have pelts on the wall, and want to run things their way are also off the list because they can easily go to other situations where they have control. Your Fangio's of the world, etc.

It's not an accident that the last 3 DCs have been "Yes" men, Pete stooges. Even going back to Gus Bradley. He was a Monty Kiffin disciple the same as Pete. Quinn just happened to be on staff when Pete arrived and Bradley signed off on him. Essentially lucking into him. No legitimate DC would ever accept operating under Pete's thumb. With Pete all you get are cronies. This is what you are left with. As Pete clearly wants to run his soft 3 deep zone come hell or high water.

This team drafted for change, only to fall back into the same old dinosaur scheme. It's been horrific to watch if you know football. The scouts have to be tearing their hair out, at this juncture.

The final, but not likely category would be desperate failures. Guys out of the league, and just desperate to get back in. (Willing to compromise their system for Pete. That was Schotty, as it was his only IN to being an OC again.)

Speaking of which, Offense is a whole 'nother can of worms. As Pete insists on being apart of that as well.

Quality OCs are going to go with offensive HCs, first. As it fast tracks them to HC jobs. And they relate better to the issues that arise inevitably during a football season and learn a helluva lot more in the process.

2nd, they will go with defensive HCs that are entirely hands off, and leave them alone.

3rd, the cronies and "Yes" men category. Which is what Pete will be picking from. As he insists his philosophy be implemented into whatever is being run.

For example, Pete is on the record for keeping 70% of the offensive playbook when Schotty arrived. And Schotty had to learn Seattle's playbook language (he had to learn West coast verbage), and Schotty could put in his 30% "add to that" as Pete put it.

After Waldron's first game with the Seahawks they looked like the Ram's, but by week 2, they already started falling back to the old ways. And Pete is on the record again stating, "Shane is real open to the things we do around here."

Pete is going to want a guy who knows west coast verbage, preferably from the Alex Gibbs/Shanahan tree, and be willing to do things his way. An up and coming coach with any value will avoid Pete like the plague.

Waldron was a huge get, believe it or not. But Waldron thought he was going to coach Russell Wilson, and be a HC in 2 years. I guarantee he regrets taking this job.

A vote for Pete is a vote for cronies. And if you're cool with that... well... best of luck to ya.

Cousins shredded his Achilles and is old. He will be looking to sign with a contender, not a rebuilding team. With a fully guaranteed contract at that and the Seahawks are capped out. If they keep Waldron and let him fully implement the system (The system Kirk has played in his entire career.) it could work. But this is all mediocre stuff. This is not a championship plan. Just more mediocrity. With Pete continuing to get hammered by Kyle and McVay.
This is DaVinci code levels of ****** up.