Poll: The Seahawks Are At a Pivotal Point in their History

Who Should Be the Head Coach next season?

• Total voters

Ozzy

Reaction score
I chose Pete.

This is not a blind endorsement. There are obvious issues that have cropped up in recent years.

I'd like to see a wholesale slate-wiping of staff. Waldron and Dickerson out, Hurtt out, Sanjay Lal out. Retain Larry Izzo, Karl Scott, Deshawn Shead, Neiko Thorpe, BT Jordan, Carl Smith.

On my shortlist for OC would be Kevin Patullo, Frank Reich, Dan Pitcher, Jerrod Johnson, Greg Roman, and Bobby Engram.
On my shortlist for DC would be Jesse Minter, Brandon Staley, Robert Saleh, and Joe Whitt Jr.

We've got a head start on the roster, and last time we cleaned house it was a catalyst for big improvements. We didn't have that head start in 2018, but if we had, it would've been dangerous considering how close they were to the NFCCG the next year in 2019.

Get a new staff together and be bold when it comes to securing a quarterback. Cousins, if he can be swayed, has this team competitive instantly for a few years. Draft route might be costlier in terms of overall expenditure (considering likely trade up), but cheaper on cap. I'm high on pairing Jayden Daniels with Kevin Patullo and getting sort Hurts-style magic going, but that's just my thought process.

I do not buy into the idea that no one wants these jobs one bit. Defensive coaches might give pause because it looks better on the resume to be DC under a HC with offensive background.
Zero chance you get a Reich or a Roman because they’re been in the league too long to have Pete tell them what they can and can’t do. You won’t get an experienced DC either. Zero big names are ever linked to Seattle because of the obvious.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Zero chance you get a Reich or a Roman because they’re been in the league too long to have Pete tell them what they can and can’t do. You won’t get an experienced DC either. Zero big names are ever linked to Seattle because of the obvious.
I disagree. Pete would've hired Donatell and given him essentially co-DC, and he's a longtime DC. Pete will absolutely hire an experienced guy if they have synergistic philosophy. Schottenheimer was a former NFL OC. Bevell, experienced OC.

In 2021, they interviewed Anthony Lynn, Doug Pederson, and Kirby Wilson for OC. Roman had Harbaugh telling him what to do in SF earlier this decade.

Sean Desai was a guy who had DC experience coming in, as well. I don't think they have as many rules as you lot think they do about who they try to hire. I specifically think they're going to look for dudes with experience this time around.

If Waldron/Hurtt are even fired. Both should be.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I disagree. Pete would've hired Donatell and given him essentially co-DC, and he's a longtime DC. Pete will absolutely hire an experienced guy if they have synergistic philosophy. Schottenheimer was a former NFL OC. Bevell, experienced OC.

In 2021, they interviewed Anthony Lynn, Doug Pederson, and Kirby Wilson for OC. Roman had Harbaugh telling him what to do in SF earlier this decade.

Sean Desai was a guy who had DC experience coming in, as well. I don't think they have as many rules as you lot think they do about who they try to hire. I specifically think they're going to look for dudes with experience this time around.

If Waldron/Hurtt are even fired. Both should be.
Until we see it I’ll agree to disagree. Pete has a reputation for being very hands on and he has a right to but I’ll be shocked if we see an established OC/DC while Pete is here, completely shocked. Desai was brought in to consult, vastly different than handing the someone the reigns.

Schott was established but wasn’t viewed as a high level candidate after some failures. Bevell had a stint with Minnesota but wasn’t someone with a lot of experience

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Guys, when we traded Russ that was us resetting.

We ended up in the playoffs and have a chance as well this year.

Pete has a chance to prove his ownership of the coaching position by bringing this team back to the playoffs.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I chose stick with Pete. So we're in 2011 rebuild mode this year rather than 2012. Pete is trying some new things within his overall philosophy but they're not working as well as he wanted. We are still dealing with some bad trades and free agent signings. Way too many players are underperforming their contracts. One of the few free agents who is living up to his contract, Uchenna Nwosu, had a season-ending injury. Geno regressed/got figured out by NFL DC's. We are two totally-crapped-the-bed-on-offense games away from being 8-3.

That said, we got EXPOSED by Baltimore, SF, and are at risk against Dallas, EXPOSED that our defense gets bullied by physical teams, and our offense has no identity and can't run the ball hard enough to burst through a wet paper bag.

We need a legit QB, and a couple more smashmouth players, "Thumpers" in Chuck-Knox-speak, in our Front 7 and our O-Line, to be competitive, smackdown for smackdown, with the bullies of the league.

Our DC, while doing better than I honestly expected, is either still learning or is overmatched. Our OC, just isn't getting it done. Our HC, is all about BS coach-speak and his optimism now feels like lack of accountability, lack of passion, lack of caring deeply about winning, rather than positivity.

All that said, I still feel like sticking with Pete is our best shot for the next couple years. A little more talent infusion, and a brighter mind for at least one coordinator, and ya never know.

I also would love to welcome Dan Quinn back as HC, if Pete does decide to leave.

olyfan63

Reaction score
New blood. We've seen Pete, know Pete.

Pete was good, hell, he was great. But the tires are bald and need to be replaced with ones with some new treads.
Once upon a time, the new tires were Tom Flores, Dennis Erickson, and Jim Mora Jr. Be careful what you wish for.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Once upon a time, the new tires were Tom Flores, Dennis Erickson, and Jim Mora Jr. Be careful what you wish for.
I really hate that logic. It's like a form of fearmongering.

"We had bad coaches in the past, therefore, we should stick with what we know."

Ignore the mediocrity, ignore that the team hasn't had a playoff win in like 7 years, ignore that the team constantly under performs. Pete won us a SB, we typically average 10 wins a year (with no playoff wins but who cares, we win at least 10 games) and there is absolutely nothing exciting about this team and is painfully *average*.

You know what? Pete was something new at one point, in fact he was a retread, and he turned out great for a good long while. However after 13 years Pete hit his ceiling and it's starting to cave in. I'd rather he just walk way into the sunset, the cheers behind him and is given a heroes farewell, rather than a terrible kicking and screaming situation where he is continued to be loathed more and more.

nanomoz

Reaction score
It is past time. Pete has won one playoff game in seven years, against a 236-year-old, career-backup QB.

And since the Hawks were last in the NFC championship game in 2014, 10 other teams have gone. In that time, the only other teams that havent are the Bears, Lions, Giants, Cowboys, and Deadskins. Four of these teams have been a mess, top-down, for a while.

The Eagles and Packers have done it under two different coaching regimes.

Most importantly, there is a clear disconnect between the well executed vision in the front office and the product on the field.

I want to compete for super bowls, not try to trick myself into excitement about a team that stumbles into the playoffs, exhibiting the same issues for a decade.

Maybe they get it wrong a few times. Cool. We had to endure Mora to land Pete.
I just havent had cause for excitement in years.

The hiring of Hurtt as DC kind of proved to me much of what Fade posits. Hurtt wasnt getting sniffed by anyone for a promotion. And what, exactly, was Desai brought here here to do?

With Pete, you get Pete. Full stop. And it really worked for a while. He is a Seahawks legend.

But it is time.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It is past time. Pete has won one playoff game in seven years, against a 236-year-old, career-backup QB.

And since the Hawks were last in the NFC championship game in 2014, 10 other teams have gone. In that time, the only other teams that havent are the Bears, Lions, Giants, Cowboys, and Deadskins. Four of these teams have been a mess, top-down, for a while.

The Eagles and Packers have done it under two different coaching regimes.

Most importantly, there is a clear disconnect between the well executed vision in the front office and the product on the field.

I want to compete for super bowls, not try to trick myself into excitement about a team that stumbles into the playoffs, exhibiting the same issues for a decade.

Maybe they get it wrong a few times. Cool. We had to endure Mora to land Pete.
I just havent had cause for excitement in years.

The hiring of Hurtt as DC kind of proved to me much of what Fade posits. Hurtt wasnt getting sniffed by anyone for a promotion. And what, exactly, was Desai brought here here to do?

With Pete, you get Pete. Full stop. And it really worked for a while. He is a Seahawks legend.

But it is time.
Well, to be fair, Hurtt did have a probable offer from the Miami Hurricanes to go DC from them. I'm not defending the hire, but he did have prospects that necessitated a promotion if he was to be retained.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I chose Pete.

This is not a blind endorsement. There are obvious issues that have cropped up in recent years.

I'd like to see a wholesale slate-wiping of staff. Waldron and Dickerson out, Hurtt out, Sanjay Lal out. Retain Larry Izzo, Karl Scott, Deshawn Shead, Neiko Thorpe, BT Jordan, Carl Smith.

On my shortlist for OC would be Kevin Patullo, Frank Reich, Dan Pitcher, Jerrod Johnson, Greg Roman, and Bobby Engram.
On my shortlist for DC would be Jesse Minter, Brandon Staley, Robert Saleh, Ejiro Evero, and Joe Whitt Jr.

We've got a head start on the roster, and last time we cleaned house it was a catalyst for big improvements. We didn't have that head start in 2018, but if we had, it would've been dangerous considering how close they were to the NFCCG the next year in 2019.

Get a new staff together and be bold when it comes to securing a quarterback. Cousins, if he can be swayed, has this team competitive instantly for a few years. Draft route might be costlier in terms of overall expenditure (considering likely trade up), but cheaper on cap. I'm high on pairing Jayden Daniels with Kevin Patullo and getting sort Hurts-style magic going, but that's just my thought process.

I do not buy into the idea that no one wants these jobs one bit. Defensive coaches might give pause because it looks better on the resume to be DC under a HC with offensive background.
Saleh would get this defense clicking

Reactions: Xxx

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Saleh would get this defense clicking
This is where he was molded, after all. Saleh is Carroll school. His first job after his Houston Texans days was in Seattle. 2011-2013 here as quality assistant. Gus Bradley poached him for LB coach in Jacksonville. Marrone cleaned house when he was hired and then Saleh got the 49ers job under Shanahan.

Not only is Saleh proven, but he's an instant chemistry fit. Unfortunately, he's also a pretty good coach and probably doesn't lose his job, unless Aaron wants an offensive HC or some stuff.

NJlargent

Reaction score
This is where he was molded, after all. Saleh is Carroll school. His first job after his Houston Texans days was in Seattle. 2011-2013 here as quality assistant. Gus Bradley poached him for LB coach in Jacksonville. Marrone cleaned house when he was hired and then Saleh got the 49ers job under Shanahan.

Not only is Saleh proven, but he's an instant chemistry fit. Unfortunately, he's also a pretty good coach and probably doesn't lose his job, unless Aaron wants an offensive HC or some stuff.
Saleh is not coming here. The Jets have a very good defense, better than ours. They have been a bit weaker in recent weeks, but I think that is a product of being deflated because the offense with Zach Wilson is abysmal. The Jets are legitimately a QB away from being legit and I think if Rodgers played this year they win that division and are a force. They beat Buffalo and the Eagles bear in mind.

Maybe I'm wrong admittedly. But Saleh is in a good place with a swarming defense when they play. He's not leaving NY with that spotlight to play under Carroll where every Coordinator seems to become irrelevant. The Jets also know they're a QB away. I am slightly tainted because the Jets are a local team and i watch them when bored but if we get a new OC it will be someone looking for a shot and not some proven name.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Saleh is not coming here. The Jets have a very good defense, better than ours. They have been a bit weaker in recent weeks, but I think that is a product of being deflated because the offense with Zach Wilson is abysmal. The Jets are legitimately a QB away from being legit and I think if Rodgers played this year they win that division and are a force. They beat Buffalo and the Eagles bear in mind.

Maybe I'm wrong admittedly. But Saleh is in a good place with a swarming defense when they play. He's not leaving NY with that spotlight to play under Carroll where every Coordinator seems to become irrelevant. The Jets also know they're a QB away. I am slightly tainted because the Jets are a local team and i watch them when bored but if we get a new OC it will be someone looking for a shot and not some proven name.
I'm not saying Saleh would leave New York, I just put him on the list to pursue should he be fired. There ARE some rumblings that his job isn't safe. Rodgers could very well want to have a head coach with an offensive background for his final hurrah, and Saleh is 15-30 in his tenure as the Jets coach. He could get canned if there's any trepidation whatsoever about him being the right fit to lead a postseason run with Aaron Rodgers when he returns.

Zach Wilson was an ugly failure, he hasn't sniffed a winning season, he's finished last in the division every year as HC, and again - he's 15-30. Questions abound. I think we'd have a chance at landing him if he were fired. He could do a rehab stint here where he's got a bit of familiarity, he's got a world of respect for Carroll. And then, we'd probably lose him again. Or promote him when Pete retires should Quinn be unavailable, or whatever.

I harbor no delusions, though. No way in hell he'd choose to come here to help as DC when he's already a HC, lol.

CactusJack

Reaction score
OP, you want the truth?

Pete is sticking around.

When the team is eventually sold, that's when change could occur. It would take a change in ownership. But Pete & John are tied together. Neither is on their way out.

Pete will not step down. While Jody doesn't have the balls to fire him.

You may not like it. But that's the reality of the situation.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score
This thread is about 2-3 weeks premature.

However, I did vote, and I voted for an offensive minded head coach, but that's just a preference. It depends on the specific candidates.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
OP, you want the truth?

Pete is sticking around.

When the team is eventually sold, that's when change could occur. It would take a change in ownership. But Pete & John are tied together. Neither is on their way out.

Pete will not step down. While Jody doesn't have the balls to fire him.

You may not like it. But that's the reality of the situation.
I know...

Regardless, I will still voice my displeasure. And point out all of the mistakes they are making along the way.