Bobby Wagner

BamKam

Reaction score
Anyone else worried we won't be able to afford him when his contract is up? Easily one of the most underpaid on the team and he is slowly becoming less of one of our best kept secrets. One of the best overall LBs in the NFL.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Definitely. I don't think we let him go, though. He's one of the key players that you HAVE to find a way to keep. Even if you have to give up a player like Maxwell or Turbin. Yeah, it's real worrisome about his contract because he's going to get some HUGE offers on the open market.

But I think the Seahawks will get him locked up to an extension when they can. You can't let Wagner hit the open market. You can't even let his agent get into serious talks with other teams. You find a way to make it work and get him signed.

In my mind, Wagner is easily the most underrated part of our defense. He's absolutely KEY to our success. Seems like he's in on every play. And the way he was hitting Lacy? Oooof. Dude is a game-changer. IMHO, he's a top-5 MLB in this league and his play elevates Malcom Smith, Bruce Irvin, KJ Wright and the rest of the crew. We HAVE to find a way to keep him.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
He's a must resign, I would expect both Wagner and Wilson getting extensions this next offseason. YOu don't find rangy middle Lber's who can cover and Blitz, growing on tree's. He definitely a valuable piece to this defense. IMO, Wright and especially Smith are more expendable.

I'm calling it, Bobby will be a pro-bowler by seasons end. ( I think he been fantastic his first 2 years and judging from yesterday he's picked up where he left off, even just getting back from a leg injury)

marko358

Reaction score
BamKam":2cnx4jok said:
Anyone else worried we won't be able to afford him when his contract is up?

It's week one of the season after winning a Super Bowl. Enjoy the next 15 games + and stop worrying about what happens after this season.

OP
OP
B

BamKam

Reaction score
HansGruber":1ptz3xk5 said:
Definitely. I don't think we let him go, though. He's one of the key players that you HAVE to find a way to keep. Even if you have to give up a player like Maxwell or Turbin.

The problem with that it won't be Maxwell or Turbin (It wouldn't even be Maxwell AND Turbin). It would be like Percy or Bennett or Okung etc.

oasis

Reaction score
BamKam":2k1zt2iz said:
HansGruber":2k1zt2iz said:
Definitely. I don't think we let him go, though. He's one of the key players that you HAVE to find a way to keep. Even if you have to give up a player like Maxwell or Turbin.

The problem with that it won't be Maxwell or Turbin (It wouldn't even be Maxwell AND Turbin). It would be like Percy or Bennett or Okung etc.
Yeah, and for some it's not as much worrying as casual interest and conversation. I, for one, think that we would have to let Wagner go and put Coyle in there -- Avril would demand a hefty sum that I feel would take priority over LB.

HansGruber

Reaction score
BamKam":1qki4ufz said:
HansGruber":1qki4ufz said:

Okung yeah but not Bennett or Harvin. They're already signed and you have to find a way to make Wagners contract work with theirs.

Okung, though? You do that deal. Wagner doesn't have the flash of Lovonte David, Keuchley, and the like so he can be signed for second tier money, maybe 6-7/yr cap average on a longer deal. That frees you up to sign another guy like Maxwell plus a rookie tackle. You do that deal without blinking.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If you read any of the Twitter nerds that crunch the salary cap numbers, the consensus is that we'll have enough cap room to resign Wagner if we let both Wright and Smith walk.........maybe even cut Irvin and save that cash if Marsh keeps playing well at the SAM.

brettb3

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":27xgpxoz said:
If you read any of the Twitter nerds that crunch the salary cap numbers, the consensus is that we'll have enough cap room to resign Wagner if we let both Wright and Smith walk.........maybe even cut Irvin and save that cash if Marsh keeps playing well at the SAM.
Davis Hsu says we can get both Wright and Wagner done. It would take probably cutting Miller and one of Mebane or McDaniel.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
brettb3":3g2y91wi said:
Sgt. Largent":3g2y91wi said:
Davis Hsu says we can get both Wright and Wagner done. It would take probably cutting Miller and one of Mebane or McDaniel.

I like KJ, but I'd rather keep Mebane and Miller. Our interior D's depth is already less than what it was last year, I'd rather not make it worse..........and I cringe at the thought of not having Miller right now. Dude's a baller. Did you see the play where Willson got tossed backwards on a block like a rag doll?

kearly

Reaction score
There isn't really a LB on our team that seems indispensable to me. They are a collection of above average players that Pete has proven he can find frequently and at low cost. Playing behind a line with three DTs on it during running downs will make a lot of LBs look pretty good.

If you want Wagner, it's probably going to cost the team Cliff Avril type money. I'd rather just re-up Avril.

Mick063

Reaction score
I personally believe that Wagner is a must keep. There are a string of players I would sacrifice to keep him.

I don't want to start an internet war so I won't list them. Regardless, I could count on one hand the number of middle linebackers that are better than Bobby Wagner. He is not a role player, a situational player, or a rotational player.

He is an every down player with elite speed for a mike, a solid tackler, and a real nose for the ball. He makes big plays and big stops every game. He is young and ascending. By stuffing the run, he puts the defense into pass defense situations to unleash the NASCAR front and LOB. He gets the defense off of the field. He would be one of the most coveted free agents on the market.

Look at how well received Browner and Tate are. Wagner would be a much bigger catch. Cowboy fans would think they died and went to heaven.

Tical21

Reaction score
I love Wagner, but there is less of a difference between a standout MLB and an average MLB than there is at almost all other positions. If we put an average guy in his place, I don't think we notice much dropoff. Didn't we play better against the run last season when he was out and KJ was in the middle? MLB just isn't important enough of a position to pay big money to when you have other really good players.

raisethe3

Reaction score
I agree that Wagner is a keeper. Definitely don't see the Hawks letting him go. I also see that Maxwell is a keeper too, even though the Hawks already have a deep position at CB (Simon & others), but with Maxwell already peaking. Might be wise to keep him. I don't think Maxwell will command a lot of money, it seems to me he really enjoys being in Seattle and getting the opportunity to start and play with the best defensive unit. And the fact that him being part of the core in the Legion of Boom, its like a family to him, knowing them so well inside out.

As for Wagner, its a different story. But I could see that he puts his heart out for this team. You can clearly see it in the huddle, the effort he goes to make a tackle, etc.

Damn, someone give me list of people who are going to be free agents after this season? Or next season. So jealous of our roster! *Not that I am complaining*

Hawks46

Reaction score
oasis":1wubpvms said:
BamKam":1wubpvms said:
HansGruber":1wubpvms said:

Yeah, and for some it's not as much worrying as casual interest and conversation. I, for one, think that we would have to let Wagner go and put Coyle in there -- Avril would demand a hefty sum that I feel would take priority over LB.

This. Harvin and Bennett are locked up and figured into future plans. I don't think we retain Okung unless he pulls out a miracle this year. I'm not sure Croyle is the answer, but we could slide Wright over and not lose much. Elite edge rushers are much harder to find than servicable MLB's. I love Wagner and think he is totally underrated, but I also think we are overrating the importance of MLB in our system.

If another team breaks out the money tree for Wagner, he's gone. We will offer him a mid level contract, and if he doesn't bite, he's likely gone. I'd rather have Avril, IMO.

Polk738

Reaction score
I would love to see Bobby Wagner stay and truly hope he does, but with as well as Brock Coyle has been playing I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being his replacement.

lsheldon

Reaction score
They were able to get Baldwin, Bennett, Sherman, Thomas & Hauschka resigned and Miller restructured this past off season with very little affect to our 2014 cap number. With the expected large jump in the cap number for the 2015 year, they should have no problem working deals for Wilson, Wagner, Smith, and likely a few other key players. In addition, dead money for 2014 is 8.8 Million, expected dead money for 2015 will come down to 284K. Okung will likely be on the bubble next year if he doesn't have a break out year. But I can't see Pete & John letting any guys go that have real value for this team and are key players for the near future. The way Marshawn is playing, I would hope he gets another 2-3 year deal done.

enamel

Reaction score
In 2013 Laurinitis got a deal that pays him $8.3 million a year. Willis' deal from 2012 pays him $10 per. There will be some inflation to factor, but the market won't view Wagner in the same class as either of these guys. We should be able to retain him without breaking the bank.

Cartire

Reaction score
Bobby still has another season on his rookie contract. There is no reason for us to extend him early. We could be in a better position to offer him a fair price during free agency in 2016. But like some have mentioned, the position is not impossible to fill, and the drop off wouldnt be dramatic.

Russell will get extended this offseason. Possibly Wright before free agency. I dont think he will be expensive.

Wagner is 2 years from now.

TwilightError

Reaction score
It's probably a decision between Wagner and Irvin. Right now I'm takng Wags but let's see when the time comes.

Latest posts