Boldin in the slot

13thMan

Reaction score
MANUNITED23":1uyf5s98 said:
Boldin is over rated, there is no way in the universe he'll have a good game against Hawks.

He isn't getting shut out, either.... So what would you consider a good/bad game?

13thMan

Reaction score
MOCHawk":37j6foxs said:
I doubt that we will play Man/Press even 25% of the time in this game. Maybe some on 3rd down when we are sending 6 (which I hope is often.) Playing man to man and rushing 4 against Kaep is suicide.

This.... especially with all the DBs backs to the QB.....

MANUNITED23

Reaction score
13thMan":3antjjlo said:
MANUNITED23":3antjjlo said:
Boldin is over rated, there is no way in the universe he'll have a good game against Hawks.

He isn't getting shut out, either.... So what would you consider a good/bad game?

No TD's and less than 70 yards receiving.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Johnny":1tmxto78 said:
The last time Boldin played against the Hawks back in 2011', He only had 2 catches for 22 yards on 9 targets.. I know that was with Flacco at QB but still he didn't have to much of an impact as far as catches & yards go.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=311113026

With Baltimore, Boldin wasn't the number one option as he will be this week. Even with him as the first option this week, I think he'll get shut down again. Seattle isn't playing a backup safety and a backup corner as the Packers were.

13thMan

Reaction score
MANUNITED23":mk6tyb9h said:
13thMan":mk6tyb9h said:
MANUNITED23":mk6tyb9h said:

No TD's and less than 70 yards receiving.

Ok, I would agree.... So long as he doesn't pick those yards up on 3rd and short every time....

I think a good option for VD would be bracket coverage because they seem to really like that seam route and deep corners, etc... So limit Boldin to 70 hodgepodge yards and bracket VD all day.... make Kyle Williams carry the load....

mretrade

Reaction score
The 49ers are planning on unleashing Quinton Patton this weekend against the Seahawks. You heard it here first.

rideaducati

Reaction score
mretrade":2e6ba65s said:
The 49ers are planning on unleashing Quinton Patton this weekend against the Seahawks. You heard it here first.

Great! I hope he's the first read or we won't get to see him make any catches.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I seriously don't know why anyone is worried about Anquan Boldin. He's not super big with crazy long arms like Brandon Marshall or Megatron, he's not crazy fast like Mike Wallace, he doesn't run particularly crisp routes (he's okay, but he's not exactly Brandon Stokley out there). Sure he's a cagey old vet who knows a few tricks, but it's going to take more than old man tricks to beat the LoB+T3*. I think that cracker jack recieving corps gets shut down on Sunday and we force SF to beat us on the ground. conversely, I say Russell and our own high quality WR corps shreds SF's cracker jack secondary on our way to RW putting up 400 yards.

*Okay, is T3 part of the LoB, or is he like an add on or something. Love some clarification on that...

mretrade

Reaction score
Yeah because I am sure Wilson is going to have his first ever 400 yard game Sunday? *sarcasm*

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
CANHawk":1mq4sovf said:
I seriously don't know why anyone is worried about Anquan Boldin. He's not super big with crazy long arms like Brandon Marshall or Megatron, he's not crazy fast like Mike Wallace, he doesn't run particularly crisp routes (he's okay, but he's not exactly Brandon Stokley out there). Sure he's a cagey old vet who knows a few tricks, but it's going to take more than old man tricks to beat the LoB+T3*. I think that cracker jack recieving corps gets shut down on Sunday and we force SF to beat us on the ground. conversely, I say Russell and our own high quality WR corps shreds SF's cracker jack secondary on our way to RW putting up 400 yards.

*Okay, is T3 part of the LoB, or is he like an add on or something. Love some clarification on that...

If the Legion of Boom was the Justice League, WTIII would be the Flash. (Kam = Green Lantern, ETIII = Superman, Sherman = Batman, Browner = Wonder Woman?)

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
pehawk":29ygeupe said:
Can Browner by Cyborg?

Sure. I was trying to go with the more well-known corps. Except for the sex, they have decent similarities. Wonder Woman does kind of kick everyone's ass. Just like Browner.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
hawk45":1bjbiy0g said:
Smelly McUgly":1bjbiy0g said:
From another perspective, if there ever was a game where we have the matchups available to induce multiple coverage sacks like we did last year at home against Green Bay, this is also it.

How so? If you're talking about the times Boldin lines up outside then okay, yeah, Sherman/BB disappear him and their other scrubs won't do much.

But when Boldin is in the slot, inducing coverage sacks assumes WTIII can defend him. Maybe he can, maybe he can't.

I don't see how the matchups are in our favor against Boldin or VD. Where do the coverage sacks come from again?

The SF WR corps is terribly matched up with our guys. Our guys struggle with faster WRs. The only one the Niners are playing in that mold is Kyle Williams, who I think is a dire receiver, like Golden Tate except somehow even less efficient at route running and with titanium mittens for hands.

Boldin, Davis, Patton are all more physical receivers that play to our secondary's benefits. Our guys can cover them one on one.

I agree that you can't turn your back to Kaepernick and let him run wild, but I'm not seeing why, based on what we know now, the team can't go primarily man on the WRs and cover Davis with Kam and a LB, leaving the other two LBs to primarily focus on stopping the run/keeping contain/etc. Man would allow our four/five rushing sets to actually get home eventually because Boldin, while a great zone buster, is not going to run away from whoever is covering him, and neither is anyone else but Kyle Williams, maybe.

I could be wrong as I'm not the smartest about Xs and Os, but I just don't see how we play zone unless we are sending lots of blitzes and pressure from everywhere at the same time. Kaepernick and Boldin will otherwise pick the zone apart.

Personally, I expect Harbaugh to do something unexpected like send LMJ out there in two back sets as a flare out of the backfield and maybe even in the slot. He needs to get the shifty guys on this team more touches.

13thMan

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure if RW posts 400+ this weekend, that translates to a W......

As for Q, well...... he's going to get his grabs, but he won't drop another 200 yard performance, I'm pretty confident......

This game by all accounts will be won or lost in the trenches, bank on it......

CANHawk

Reaction score
mretrade":36e7nh6v said:
Yeah because I am sure Wilson is going to have his first ever 400 yard game Sunday? *sarcasm*

Did I use a sarcasm emoticon mutha trucka? I said FOUR HUNDERED YARDS ON YOUR CRACKER JACK OVER RATED DEFENSE.

FOUR HUNDERED YARDS

Seriously... Who's going to stop him?! Nnnnnamdi Usedtobeawesomeougha? I don't think so. Carlos Rogers going to stop him? nuh-uh. Tarrell "you guys smell burnt toast" Brown? Get that weak shit outta here... Oh you think you're going to SACK Russell! THAT'S your big plan! What, with that same defense that could only muster one piddly assed sack on Green Bay's Swiss Cheese o-line? Lolz. Kay brah. Cool story. Aldon Smith going to bring his GAT!? cuz the only way that wannabe thug catches RW is if he shoots him in the leg first.

Nope. 400 yards shall be done on Sunday. 400. book it.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I expect to see a lot of the stack and Bolden starting in the backfield ala Tate to give him space.

He plays the slot a lot due to his lack of speed. He is strong and has some decent moves but he would be wasted putting him against our corners. I don't view him as near the threat as Davis.

13thMan

Reaction score
Neither team is getting 400 on Sunday through the air..... book it.

Both are going to try to control the clock i.e. RUN THE BALL......

Not rocket science here folks...... lol