Status
Not open for further replies.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
HawkGA":3bifp03y said:
c_hawkbob":3bifp03y said:
HawkGA":3bifp03y said:
Is a whole lot different than:

"Get your filthy hands off me you bloody pig!" (it's a hypothetical, not quoting Boykin) while the officer is investigating an injury involved accident in which you were involved.

Nobody should get arrested for saying that. People are quick to throw out the freedom of speech thing and often in the wrong setting. But when dealing with government or government agents is EXACTLY the point of the first amendment. If a poor little cop gets his feelings hurt because somebody calls him a name and feels like he should arrest that person . . . well, that cop has no business being a cop.

And with that I shall depart lest I venture more into PWR territory.

So you're absolutely refusing to take into account the circumstances surrounding the argument or the fact that he was being arrested for a more serious charge and that the public intox was an add on brought about by his own stupidity?

ringless

Reaction score
"Boykin, now a backup quarterback for the Seattle Seahawks, was booked into the Lew Sterrett Jail just before 3 a.m. Monday for public intoxication and marijuana possession, according to authorities.
In video released by the sheriff's office he is seen swaying and repeatedly bowing his head before backing up and almost falling over. About an hour later, inside what Dallas police call the "Shakedown Desk," he was still appearing to struggle to maintain his balance."

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/F...n-Arrested-for-Drug-Possession-417181013.html

He is not the victim here. He is part of the problem. Driver or not. He is just as responsible for that choice he made to get in the car with someone else who was intoxicated, and allow them to drive. Forget that he's a football player, that doesn't matter at all. Let me ask you this, if it was your wife or child that ended up in the hospital. Would you be defending the passenger in this situation? Would you be saying he wasn't involved, didn't have a choice, or a role in the matter? (For those of you defending him)

HawkGA

Reaction score
My understanding (and perhaps it is wrong) is that those other circumstances were that he was drunk (sorry, but I'm not a fan of the drunk in public *crime* as most people leaving a bar qualify as drunk in public), he was the passenger in a car that got into a bad accident, and that he was in the vicinity of drugs. To me, that sounds like the worst kind of guilty by association. Is simply being around somebody who has a joint on them a crime? Is being the passenger in a vehicle that gets into an accident a crime? I would think the passenger is more likely to be the victim of the driver's bad decision. What if he'd been one of the people injured?

I'm not saying the team shouldn't cut him or do whatever (my guess is a league suspension which means they need a new backup QB for some games anyway so they might as well just have a new backup QB) they want. Totally their prerogative. I'm just saying from the sounds of it, he shouldn't have been arrested. (though I gotta say, apparently he was held a little longer as they cleared up some unpaid traffic tickets . . . . WTF dude? pay your tickets) You shouldn't be arrested for being a dick.

toffee

Reaction score
There are four obstacles on Boykin's way:

1. Court of law
He is on probation, and he is involved but not as driver. Will he get off?

2. Public opinions
Just read this thread, majority having negative view on his judgement and character.

3. NFL
The league doesn't need another problem fringe player. League can tolerate if you were star QB but not for a fringe player with history of problems.

4. Seahawks
If he is convict by the court of law or punished by NFL, then Hawks won't have to decide. Otherwise, it will be down to Pete.

See, Pete hasn't say anything since it happened. I speculate that Pete is waiting for 1 & 3. May be time to call Kaepernick's agent.

HawkGA

Reaction score
ringless":d3e7leqw said:
"Boykin, now a backup quarterback for the Seattle Seahawks, was booked into the Lew Sterrett Jail just before 3 a.m. Monday for public intoxication and marijuana possession, according to authorities.
In video released by the sheriff's office he is seen swaying and repeatedly bowing his head before backing up and almost falling over. About an hour later, inside what Dallas police call the "Shakedown Desk," he was still appearing to struggle to maintain his balance."

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/F...n-Arrested-for-Drug-Possession-417181013.html

He is not the victim here. He is part of the problem. Driver or not. He is just as responsible for that choice he made to get in the car with someone else who was intoxicated, and allow them to drive. Forget that he's a football player, that doesn't matter at all. Let me ask you this, if it was your wife or child that ended up in the hospital. Would you be defending the passenger in this situation? Would you be saying he wasn't involved, didn't have a choice, or a role in the matter? (For those of you defending him)

The only reason it's a big deal is because he's a football player. If he were any other person, he wouldn't need any defending because nobody would be attacking him.

As to being just as responsible, seriously that is some stupid stuff we've been feeding people for decades now. The driver is responsible. End of story. One can look at this in a myriad of bad ways for Boykin but it's also not too hard, if we take our blinders off, to imagine a situation that isn't too dissimilar to see how Boykin could be getting screwed.

Now, honestly, I suspect he was probably drunk and high and not just drunk. But there being a joint in the car should not be enough to get him on possession (I could maybe see a case if it was his car, was it?). I can recall a time in my twenties when some friends of mine decided they wanted to smoke pot. We were at the beach and I left the house while they got it and smoked it. I didn't want to be anywhere around it. I'm also an incredibly risk averse person. I wouldn't expect everybody to make the same decisions I made. But I would be horrified to think that sharing a beach house with some friends who smoked pot could get me arrested for possession of marijuana.

Seymour

Reaction score
HawkGA":3k1fzlro said:
....But there being a joint in the car should not be enough to get him on possession ..... But I would be horrified to think that sharing a beach house with some friends who smoked pot could get me arrested for possession of marijuana.

Do you really have that much trouble remembering what has already been gone over?? They did not find a joint in the car!!! They found 6.9 grams of weed in a clothing bag in the back seat that was obviously tied to him as I already pointed out twice.

That scenario is nothing like what you are arguing here.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Arguing over preliminary facts, as y'all are, is about as asinine as it gets. You can be arrested on suspicion​ of just about anything, whether or not you are charged and convicted are two different things. There is a real possibility that all charges will be dropped. If the weed was in the backseat with clothes on it, then it is the driver that will be ultimately charged with the possession.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Seymour":vhbr0qln said:
HawkGA":vhbr0qln said:
....But there being a joint in the car should not be enough to get him on possession ..... But I would be horrified to think that sharing a beach house with some friends who smoked pot could get me arrested for possession of marijuana.

Do you really have that much trouble remembering what has already been gone over?? They did not find a joint in the car!!! They found 6.9 grams of weed in a clothing bag in the back seat that was obviously tied to him as I already pointed out twice.

What I had read was simply that "there were clothes on it" or something like that. I presumed that meant something like there was a sweatshirt thrown over it. Being in a duffel bag that was obviously his would be a different story.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
Seymour":3gk9hz6z said:
HawkGA":3gk9hz6z said:

And if you watch the linked video the newscaster specified that he had a marijuana blunt on him. (someone help me out here, we didn't smoke blunts back in the day; can a blunt be 6.9 grams?)

Again, public intox is merely an add on charge, not what he was arrested for.

Seymour

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":pu5zbdsh said:
Seymour":pu5zbdsh said:
HawkGA":pu5zbdsh said:

And if you watch the linked video the newscaster specified that he had a marijuana blunt on him. (someone help me out here, we didn't smoke blunts back in the day; can a blunt be 6.9 grams?)

Again, public intox is merely an add on charge, not what he was arrested for.

No. Blunt = joint = apx. 1 gram.

Jville

Reaction score
This off season is like the year of the quarterback ........... as if the position didn't get enough attention .............[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/846840169021943808[/tweet]

ivotuk

Reaction score
HawkGA":28bs2fj1 said:
Seymour":28bs2fj1 said:
HawkGA":28bs2fj1 said:
Was he in possession of it or was it just in the car (the car he wasn't driving)? Honest question . . . I've spent more time posting about it than I have reading about it. :D

I'm not arguing that it wasn't stupid. But this notion that you can't argue with a police officer or you go to jail? That's messed up. Last I checked, cops are people just like everybody else. Some are cool, some are asshats. As I said in my original post, jail should be for people we are afraid of, not people we are mad at.

I quoted the news report above. 6.9 grams of weed found in bag on back seat with clothes in it. Obviously they had enough reason or evidence that bag belonged to him.

I think "obviously" is a bit of a stretch when police can arrest you for simply arguing with them.

You can't get arrested for arguing with police. You are the only one saying that. You really should get to know the law better.

chris98251

Reaction score
Really it depends on the situation, if his driver was the cause and he was involving himself in the arrest arguing is nothing, now interfering or obstruction of an officer that can get you popped quick, or if they feel threatened.

Throw in the weed and the amount and it could escalate quickly.

People forget once pulled over your by law suppose to cooperate, now you have rights granted and can refuse some things, but identification and not interfering in them doing their job is the law, the Cops have full discretion to interpret the situation and decide if you are or are not and levy charges if they feel it necessary.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Donn2390":2h9ndc4t said:
toffee":2h9ndc4t said:
There are four obstacles on Boykin's way:

1. Court of law
He is on probation, and he is involved but not as driver. Will he get off?

2. Public opinions
Just read this thread, majority having negative view on his judgement and character.

3. NFL
The league doesn't need another problem fringe player. League can tolerate if you were star QB but not for a fringe player with history of problems.

4. Seahawks
If he is convict by the court of law or punished by NFL, then Hawks won't have to decide. Otherwise, it will be down to Pete.

See, Pete hasn't say anything since it happened. I speculate that Pete is waiting for 1 & 3. May be time to call Kaepernick's agent.
[/b]..

Off-field things aside, Kaep should never be a Seahawk because he's just not very good on the field. If you can't beat out Gabbert, etc, you're not very useful even as a backup. Just my 2 cents.

pmedic920

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":kclgy9pq said:
pmedic920":kclgy9pq said:
King Dog":kclgy9pq said:
Out of the car long hair!

Beastie Boys reference

Beastie boys?

Lol :{)

Come on man, give credit where it's due.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Your_Mama_Don't_Dance

I did! You didn't scroll down far enough :)

Oops. Sorry PMedic. Damn kids :)

pmedic920":kclgy9pq said:

So K.
You were close, just off by a couple years.

What in hell are you two talking about? The quote is from a Beastie Boys song, not Kenny friggin Loggins.

High Plains Drifter

Beastie Boys

The cop knocked on my window and said "Boy, where's the fire?"
You got a mailbox on your bumper and a bald front tire"
"Outta the car longhair!" Your goose is cooked
Read me my rights, fingerprinted and booked

Ok.

Whatever you say.

Remember however, some of us are old enough to know better.

Cheers Bro.
:{)

pmedic920

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":20botq0w said:
Arguing over preliminary facts, as y'all are, is about as asinine as it gets. You can be arrested on suspicion​ of just about anything, whether or not you are charged and convicted are two different things. There is a real possibility that all charges will be dropped. If the weed was in the backseat with clothes on it, then it is the driver that will be ultimately charged with the possession.

This depends on circumstances.

I mentioned up thread, in Texas, if nobody claims the weed, or "fesses up", everybody in the vehicle can be charged and many times they are.
This is a law that probably varies from state to state and I have no idea how it usually plays out but it's a fact in Texas.

If the weed was his, he probably should pay one of the other occupants to "claim it".

Reality is, it just needs to play out. We all know how this crap works.
Folks with Bank don't suffer as much as those without.

Side note:
Not that it matters here but it's a curious thing, in Texas it's illegal to resist arrest, even an unlawful arrest.
You have to submit, then argue in court after the fact.
This is one of the things that's used against people. They get the extra charge and it's a chip in the DAs pile.

chris98251

Reaction score
pmedic920":13aqrx5z said:
seahawkfreak":13aqrx5z said:
King Dog":13aqrx5z said:
Out of the car long hair!

Beastie Boys reference

Beastie boys?

So K.

What in hell are you two talking about? The quote is from a Beastie Boys song, not Kenny friggin Loggins.

High Plains Drifter

Beastie Boys

Read me my rights, fingerprinted and booked

Ok.

Whatever you say.

Cheers Bro.
:{)

Your Mama Don't Dance
Jim Messina
Your mama don't dance and your daddy don't
Rock and roll
Rock and roll
But when evening comes around and it's time to
Hit the town
Where do you go, you gotta rock it
The old folks say that ya gotta end your date
By ten
But if you're out on a date don't you
Bring her home late 'cause it's a sin
You know there's no excuse
You know you're gonna lose you never win
I'll say it again
And it's all because your mama don't dance
And your daddy don't rock and roll
Rock and roll
When evenin' rolls around and it's time to
Hit the town
Where do you go, to rock it, rock it
(lead)
Everyone gather round let me tell you all
About it
You see I pulled into a drive-in and
I found a place to park
We hopped into the backseat where it's
Always nice and dark
I'm just about to move thinking to myself Mmm
Bret this is a breeze
Then there's a light in my eye and a guy says
Out of the car long hair
Oowee, you're coming with me
Said the local police
Rock and roll
Hit the town
Where do you go, play me a little C.C.
Rock and roll
Rock and roll
They just ain't cool and they ain't about to start
Your mama don't dance and you daddy don't rock
Your mama don't dance, no
She just don't dance, no
You mama don't dance
And you daddy don't rock and roll, oww no
Songwriters: JIM MESSINA, KENNETH CLARK LOGGINS
© Universal Music Publishing Group
For non-commercial use only.
Data from: LyricFind

Your Mama Don't Dance" is a hit 1972 song by the rock duo Loggins and Messina. Released on their self-titled album Loggins and Messina, it reached #4 on the Billboard pop chart and #19 on the Billboard Easy Listening Chart as a singl…

Oh and Kenny Loggins was raised in Everett Washington not far from a place we lived on Lowell Rd.
Drops Mic :)

King Dog

Reaction score

King Dog":3d87qaqn said:

pmedic920":3d87qaqn said:

So K.

High Plains Drifter

Beastie Boys

Read me my rights, fingerprinted and booked[/quote]

Ok.

Whatever you say.

Cheers Bro.
:{)[/quote]

Your Mama Don't Dance
Jim Messina
Rock and roll
Rock and roll
But when evening comes around and it's time to
Hit the town
Where do you go, you gotta rock it
The old folks say that ya gotta end your date
By ten
But if you're out on a date don't you
Bring her home late 'cause it's a sin
You know there's no excuse
You know you're gonna lose you never win
I'll say it again
Rock and roll
Hit the town
Where do you go, to rock it, rock it
(lead)
Everyone gather round let me tell you all
About it
You see I pulled into a drive-in and
I found a place to park
We hopped into the backseat where it's
Always nice and dark
I'm just about to move thinking to myself Mmm
Bret this is a breeze
Then there's a light in my eye and a guy says
Out of the car long hair
Oowee, you're coming with me
Said the local police
Rock and roll
Hit the town
Where do you go, play me a little C.C.
Rock and roll
Rock and roll
They just ain't cool and they ain't about to start
Your mama don't dance and you daddy don't rock
Your mama don't dance, no
She just don't dance, no
You mama don't dance
And you daddy don't rock and roll, oww no
Songwriters: JIM MESSINA, KENNETH CLARK LOGGINS
© Universal Music Publishing Group
For non-commercial use only.
Data from: LyricFind

Your Mama Don't Dance" is a hit 1972 song by the rock duo Loggins and Messina. Released on their self-titled album Loggins and Messina, it reached #4 on the Billboard pop chart and #19 on the Billboard Easy Listening Chart as a singl…

Oh and Kenny Loggins was raised in Everett Washington not far from a place we lived on Lowell Rd.
Drops Mic :)[/quote]

You guys can talk about Loggins and Messina all you want. Bestie Boys did it better 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.