Boykin Update (Agrees to Reduced Charges per Agent)

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Bummer; for him to put himself in this position, and for the team to have to deal with this bullshit. Hopefully he'll pull his head out of his ass and realize the opportunity in front of him.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
ivotuk":9dbvzo03 said:
I read that players who have substance abuse problems in college, "matriculate" in to the substance abuse program in the NFL and can be in the NFL's program before they ever play a down in the NFL.

Boykin's troubles stem from substance abuse, so I'd say that he will be in warning status, not suspension or anything like that.

IIRC, Brandon Browner came in to the league in the program because of violations in college. Probably why teams weren't too "high" on keeping him around initially.
Ha ha. Does Boykins really have substance abuse issues? It just said he was thrown out of a bar.

Basis4day

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":1qq1318y said:
Bummer; for him to put himself in this position, and for the team to have to deal with this bullshit. Hopefully he'll pull his head out of his ass and realize the opportunity in front of him.

The team knew this when they signed him. It happened before his final bowl game.

crosfam

Reaction score
crosfam":ixqq1995 said:
If he hadn't gotten into trouble, he would have played in the Alamo Bowl, and been a 3rd-4th rd. draft choice. I think the loss of a million $ or so is enough "league punishment". Might warrant a "warning letter" from the league to avoid further trouble. If he gets in another bar-fight/disturbance type situation anytime soon I wouldn't be surprised if we cut him. It seems like this is just the formalization of the plea deal anyway, no new news. I bet he apologizes, gets probation and community service. Hopefully he stays out of bars, etc. in the future, nothing but trouble for somebody in his position.

He got probation and community service, and a fine. First strike. Next strike would probably be getting cut and/or suspended. Third strike and career will be over. I really hope we get a good back-up out of Boykin. This seems like the sort of issue many young kids go through before they grow up 100%, but maybe not on the eve of their biggest game/event of their life to date. I would not be surprised if we sign a vet cast-off and he ends up on the PS. #2 QB on a SB caliber team is mighty burden to bear.

RiverDog

Reaction score
DJrmb":jaggnra2 said:
As for Goodell, you never really do know with him. He seems to make completely different decisions depending on the day and his mood... It's a bit different of a situation but Goodell did suspend Terrelle Pryor 5 games his rookie year for the whole making money off his signature thing and I thought at the time he had made a statement that he would hold incoming college players responsible for their actions even if they happened in college, if he deemed they damaged the integrity or the reputation of the NFL. I haven't been able to locate that exact statement though so maybe I'm mixing up two different things...

Anyway I think the biggest fear in this case with Boykin is if the judge decides to make him spend a few months in jail. I hope Boykin has been making steps toward showing that he made a mistake and is not actually a "bad guy" and can present a better image to the judge.

The difference here is that Pryor had an opportunity to come out early and enter the draft, initially chose to come back for his senior year, then the NCAA suspended him, and then Pryor applied for the supplemental draft because his NCAA eligibility had been compromised. So essentially, Pryor ducked the NCAA's suspension by turning pro. Even though Goodell and the NFLPA were quick to deny it, the league obviously was suspending him for his activities before he was in the league.

With Boykin...and Frank Clark, I might add...their college teams were able to discipline them. Boykin was sent home and not allowed to play in his team's bowl game, and Frank Clark was kicked off his team. IMO because they "paid for their crimes", the league shouldn't go after them.

Under certain circumstances, I'm for the league disciplining players for their college activities like what happened to Pryor. My favorite example is Reggie Bush. The league should have come and gotten that $300K he was paid as an amateur and donated it to a scholarship fund. The NCAA is a de facto minor leagues of the NFL anyway, so I see nothing unethical in fining or suspending players that use the league as a sanctuary to avoid the justice of the college/organization that provided them with the opportunity to make millions.

Own The West

Reaction score
So...

Boykin: Suspension? or No suspension?
Pearls: Clutch? or No clutch?

Latest posts