Brandon Browner took 'millions and ran with it'

mikeak

Reaction score
KillerB":3ogvjllj said:
mikeak":3ogvjllj said:
Browner will have made about 58% of his total career earnings from the one year in New Orleans....

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... -earnings/

That's an interesting tidbit. Years spent scratching in the CFL, then making minimum...and in the worst year of football of his life he doubled his lifetime earnings. :D

Yes - you can easily argue that Seattle got his best years for the least amount of money. I did "ignore" his income while in Canada so maybe it would be 57.9% of his earnings from New Orleans :D

He will make four times as much in 2016 from New Orleans than from Seattle while playing in Seattle......... LOL

drdiags

Reaction score
Also thought Browner got setup by our local media who got him to open up last year about his feelings regarding the Seahawks at Richard's softball game. How the heck do you even ask that question? Dude had just signed with the Saints and you ask him about wanting to return to the Seahawks.

And reporters wonder why Athletes sometimes don't want to talk to them. They just want to start some stuff so they can say they got the big scoop. Browner seemed to have learned, as he sidestepped that softball about Superbowl XLIX and the Butler play.

razor150

Reaction score
It was an extremely stupid thing for Browner to say, you really shouldn't feed the trolls. Saints fans have a right to be angry with him, he made a good chunk of change, and he played like the worst corner in football. He has an excuse, he was injured since the first pre-season, but that isn't exactly common knowledge.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Laloosh":1hgn36kj said:
El Caliente":1hgn36kj said:
onanygivensunday":1hgn36kj said:
What I find somewhat hilarious is the mindset on the Saints board that if Browner succeeds in Seattle it's because our defensive backs are allowed to hold on every play and no other team in the league gets such preferential treatment from the refs.

Such crybabies over there.

A good bit of that theory has to do with this article

Seattle's Defense Relies On a Brazen Tactic: Rampant Interference

On Saturday, the New Orleans Saints take their flashy passing offense up to dreaded Seattle. We wish them the best of luck with that.

The Seattle Seahawks—the favorites to make the Super Bowl out of the NFC—employ an exasperating defensive game plan: They blitz rarely and drop an army of defenders into pass coverage. And those defenders mug, obstruct and foul opposing receivers on practically every play.

Quietly, the Seahawks have achieved a 13-3 record and home-field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs by exploiting a loophole: NFL referees are reluctant to throw endless flags for pass interference and defensive holding, even if defenses deserve them.

"They look at it and say, 'We may get called for one but not 10,'" said Mike Pereira, a former NFL vice president of officiating who is now a Fox analyst.

League insiders say this divisional-round matchup between the Seahawks and Saints, the NFC's top passing offense, may be Seattle's rule-bending masterpiece.

"They just seem to not care about the rules," said New York Giants wide receiver Louis Murphy, whose team was routed 23-0 by Seattle this season.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014240 ... 0005285822

The funny thing about all this crap is that in 2014 and 2015 Seattle's defensive holding and pass interference numbers dropped significantly compared to the rest of the league after the emphasis was added on DH and OPI.

Everybody whined and when they got what they wanted, it hurt them instead of the team that knew how to play in the secondary.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/passing-pen ... ?year=2013
http://www.nflpenalties.com/passing-pen ... ?year=2014
http://www.nflpenalties.com/passing-pen ... ?year=2015

Clearly Seattle relies on holding and interfering :179422:

Pretty amazing isn't it?

Bagdas Bob once the head of officiating and always shown a bias against Seattle, doesn't even know the rules of Whats allowed.

The league was warned and still couldn't figure out how to play to the edge.

The results were staggering with Seattle's secondary being the least penalized for exactly what it had been accused of. You would have thought we completely changed our playing style but we didn't and everyone knows it. Yet rather than it becoming a topic it really just went away.

Really pretty funny how ignorant some really are. Mike Pierra should have been exposed through the results but noone seemed to care.

Good enough for me. The rumors were obviously debunked for anyone that isn't just to blind to see.

NINEster

Reaction score
What I particularly enjoy about this is that Browner's return (and if he plays well, which he will) proves what some of us already knew....

That the Seahawk CB success is mostly scheme reliant, with the exception of Sherman due to having Thomas and Chancellor back there. The front 7 does play a role too, but that safety tandem is special.

Walter Thurmond, Byron Maxwell, Brandon Browner.....all underperformed after leaving the Seahawks.

Browner was pretty good in New England, but for whatever reason was released.

Face it....3rd-6th round, UFA.....scouting reports do not lie. Sherman seems to be the exception, like Antonio Brown....but you're not going to get blue chip guys every single time in those rounds.

Carroll's work very underrated. As a fan of the game, I love the guy. He even contributed in SF helping us to kick Cowboy ass in '95.

#1 defense that year.

Maulbert

Reaction score
NINEster":2qrggo8g said:
What I particularly enjoy about this is that Browner's return (and if he plays well, which he will) proves what some of us already knew....

That the Seahawk CB success is mostly scheme reliant, with the exception of Sherman due to having Thomas and Chancellor back there. The front 7 does play a role too, but that safety tandem is special.

Walter Thurmond, Byron Maxwell, Brandon Browner.....all underperformed after leaving the Seahawks.

Face it....3rd-6th round, UFA.....scouting reports do not lie. Sherman seems to be the exception, like Antonio Brown....but you're not going to get blue chip guys every single time in those rounds.

Carroll's work very underrated. As a fan of the game, I love the guy. He even contributed in SF helping us to kick Cowboy ass in '95.

#1 defense that year.

Honestly a little surprised you're giving Sherman credit. Most opposing fans still try to accuse him of being a product of the scheme.

chris98251

Reaction score
NINEster":3jgjyiop said:

#1 defense that year.

The Seahawks players not playing as well is not any different then many other players, GM's love to grab players that are hot, young hoping that lightning strikes twice. They don't know or the Coaches try to use them differently and the by fans and Mediots are failures, take a slower press corner and make him a zone guy is one example, or play deep and take away the physical attribute. Put a WR in a offense and have him play inside when he was a outside guy or a possession and ask him to be a primary. Lots of stuff like that. It's not just football see it a lot in Basket ball also, stars player disappear on another team.

NINEster

Reaction score
Maulbert":2de6wwgk said:
NINEster":2de6wwgk said:

#1 defense that year.

Honestly a little surprised you're giving Sherman credit. Most opposing fans still try to accuse him of being a product of the scheme.

I think he's still very good, but don't think he's #1 or at least undisputed #1 CB in the NFL.

That part I agree with other fans. I just don't see how that level of production comes out of anywhere but the first round, and top of the first round at that.

Deion Sanders, Joe Haden, Patrick Peterson, Rod Woodson, Ronnie Lott, Champ Bailey, all 10th pick or under....the first three top 5.

Darrell Green, 28th (final) pick of 1st round. Aqib Talib, 20th pick.

When you factor in having to DEFEND against other players, I think it puts a bigger premium on athletic abilities than even a wide receiver.

Now you have Josh Norman making waves as another 5th round CB, but already the accusations of him being a product of the Panthers have been said. I think he's better than the product of the system because no CB was ever coming out of those Fangio Niner defenses with a huge contract like that, and the Panthers never had as nasty a front 7 as 2011-2013 49ers.

We'll see what happens with Norman and Sherman over the long haul.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
NINEster":1sfrne70 said:

#1 defense that year.
At the same time it's not entirely about the scheme. The defensive philosophy in general is predicated on the synergy created when players trust one another to get the job done. They can fully commit to their assignment because they don't worry about the guy next to them messing up.

That trust wasn't working when Williams was playing corner and as a result he and Thomas would be guessing where each other would be covering instead of knowing.

While that does come back to scheme, it takes a player who can buy into the system and trust in his fellow players to do their jobs. Browner, Maxwell, And to a lesser extend Thurmond all worked within that framework, whereas Williams did not.

As an aside, the offensive production we had in the latter half of the year was largely about Wilson trusting his receivers to make a play instead of waiting for them to be wide open.

mikeak

Reaction score
NINEester

Did you just base 50% of your argument solely based on where someone was drafted???

That is just an incredible argument to make. Is it limited solely to this position then? Is it one way or are first rounders that don't perform just misunderstood football players?

Never seen anyone argue that a guy is not a top player just because of where he was drafted. I would say there is a reason I haven't seen that argument anywhere.....