Brandon Marshall doesn't fit the description.

toffee

Reaction score
bigskydoc":152i4lmz said:
WmHBonney":152i4lmz said:
Marshall will take JG's place in the red zone.
Happy to have him here.

And he won't disappear between the 20's like Graham did.

Marshall will give 100%, Graham at best gave 75%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pmedic920

Reaction score
toffee":2ve2gg71 said:
bigskydoc":2ve2gg71 said:
WmHBonney":2ve2gg71 said:
Happy to have him here.

I wouldn’t argue that at times it seemed this way.

In fairness this is a statement that I don’t believe you can prove.

Can you, if so please do?

toffee

Reaction score
pmedic920":3y1ls504 said:
toffee":3y1ls504 said:
bigskydoc":3y1ls504 said:
WmHBonney":3y1ls504 said:
Happy to have him here.

I wouldn’t argue that at times it seemed this way.

In fairness this is a statement that I don’t believe you can prove.

Can you, if so please do?

No I can't, you got me fair and square. BUT, since you asked pmedic920, I just made the following up:

1. Blocking
Let's say 25% of a receiving TE's duty was blocking. Jimmy never make any effort to block; Even for a receiving TE, blocking is in his job description, he gave half ass effort at best. So 50% of 25%, our Jimmy took 12.5% off.

2. Receiving
OK as a receiving TE, 75% of his job duty was receiving. Jimmy statistically drop more balls outside of red zone or when TD is not in the picture. Let's speculate that 50% of throws to Jimmy were outside of red zone and his focus/effort was 30% off on those plays, So Jimmy took 75% x 50% x 30% = 11.25% off on pass plays.

Haha under toffee's voodoo math, Jimmy took 12.5%+11.25%= 23.75% effort off, he made 76.25% effort on all plays. I said 75%, that was being unkind. Don't take my math to any court of law, but kind of matched some 12s' eyeball evaluation, didn't it?

Jimmy's a big dude that played small at times, a 270 lbs TE that block with less poweress than some 180 lbs RBs, a 6'8" TE played ...... when a hard hitting LB or SS was insight. I gave him 75% effort, just my subjective evaluation.

chawx

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":23vvbf9a said:
His history is everything works great for 2 years...then he blows it up. He's a good dude and Im hoping it works. Always been one of my favorite players. We probably only would need him for one or two years anyways....then he will retire.

Watch that if you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkqLq1Akmf0

I love this "A Football Life". I liked Brandon Marshall before: being able to talk about his mental health issues, being a stud on the field, I liked his swagger, all that... but I didn't follow him all that close. Watching that film, now I LOVE Brandon Marshall. Man, I wish him all the good things on and off the field. This kid works hard! And he gives a lot of himself and his money. Dude is a real world hero. Major props to him. Love having him on MY team.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Not saying he hasn’t changed because I think he has, but I’d put zero stock in this. He has always been well spoken and gave great interviews, even when he was a head case.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
canucklehead":2mx8bs1o said:
bigskydoc":2mx8bs1o said:

Couldn't agree more.
As if that's Jimmy's fault? Blame our former offensive coordinator, boys...

Oh, wait, I forgot - Jimmy never caught anything between the 20s in New Orleans.

:roll:

adeltaY

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1vfvmava said:
canucklehead":1vfvmava said:
bigskydoc":1vfvmava said:

Couldn't agree more.

Oh, wait, I forgot - Jimmy never caught anything between the 20s in New Orleans.

Or in 2016 in Seattle ... Lol

olyfan63

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2ohh4ib8 said:
His history is everything works great for 2 years...then he blows it up. He's a good dude and Im hoping it works. Always been one of my favorite players. We probably only would need him for one or two years anyways....then he will retire.
Watch that if you are interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkqLq1Akmf0

This time you have it nailed, though I think you're being overly optimistic on the two year part.
For sure he will have a good first year with us.
I seem to recall in the past we disagreed, in a polarized way, on some unrelated things, (don't 100% recall and 100% don't care) but on this, I'll trust your data collection that you looked at Marshall's stats, history, etc., and noticed the two-year pattern. If you have a quick breakdown of Marshall's two-year pattern, please share it here; I think it would be an interesting read.

First, let me say I have nothing but the utmost respect for Brandon Marshall. The "Courage Award"? that should have Brandon Marshall's name on it, IMO. Population stats suggests there are many NPDs and BPDs in the NFL. Exactly *one* that I'm aware of has had the courage to go public. Marshall.

Personally, I have observed in numerous people I know with BPD (or related Cluster B issues), that when they go to a "new social group", they typically put a lot,lot of energy into making things go well at first, and fitting in. They'll also typically paint their prior group as abusers and themselves as an innocent victim, to sucker the new group into coming to their aid and also to prevent any communication (comparing stories would typically reveal their many lies) between the new group and the old group. I don't see Marshall doing any of the latter behaviors here. As a counterexample, look at Kelvin Benjamin, ripping Cam Newton a new one in the media, upon going to a new team. I totally have no idea if Kelvin Benjamin has any Cluster B personality issues; I'll assume not. Simply pointing out that if Marshall was displaying behaviors like Benjamin's, we could be sure that the tiger hasn't changed his stripes.

With Marshall's athletic ability, experience, and smarts, like you, I expect him to have a great year. I would go with you on the two year part, except for doubts about how much Marshall has left in the tank at his age, accumulated injuries, etc.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Steve2222":903l84co said:
Not saying he hasn’t changed because I think he has, but I’d put zero stock in this. He has always been well spoken and gave great interviews, even when he was a head case.

Yup. That's a typical skill of many people with BPD (or NPD). They excel at winning others over to their point of view, and presenting themselves as the "good guy" because in their mind, they always are. Even if they have to rearrange facts, data, and sequences of events in their head to match their emotions. When they verbally share their version of events, it sounds absolutely factual, convincing, even compelling, because they talk themselves into believing their own (false) version of events. Percy Harvin had those skills.

That said, Marshall seems to show he is successfully working through those kinds of issues. I'm 100% giving him the benefit of the doubt on this one so far.

original poster

Reaction score
I was ecstatic when he signed with us and continue to be.

He's a leader, a damn good football player and someone that will give 100% all the time.

I'd bet good money he makes this team and has a fantastic year for us, we'll be hearing his name a lot.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
adeltaY":34u20x8c said:
RolandDeschain":34u20x8c said:
canucklehead":34u20x8c said:
bigskydoc":34u20x8c said:

Couldn't agree more.

Or in 2016 in Seattle ... Lol

Beat me to it. Huge between the 20s during that year.

toffee

Reaction score
I am hoping that Marshall got enough left to help us out for 2 seasons. Btw, is Marshall HOF bound?

mrt144

Reaction score
chris98251":2fu27rtx said:
He has got a lot of help for his disorder and learned to manage it and his life. He is not the same guy before his treatment program.

Bingo. Shows you how much people actually follow any advocacy by any player.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
In his prime, Brandon Marshall, was one of the best WRs in the league.

Off the field, it took guts to admit he has mental health issues and he's already doing TV work so I'd expect to see him in the booth when he hangs up his cleats.

That said, IMO, it comes down to keeping Marshall for one year, or keeping and developing a younger player.

Trust the process. No one knew much about Tedric Thompson or David Moore last year other then T2 played special teams and Moore was signed off the practice squad because other teams were looking to sign him. Now, T2 is penciled in as our starting FS and Moore has been making splash plays in OTAs, Mini champ, and TC.

So, do we risk losing a player the Hawks can develop and have club control for 3 years-low cost rookie contract for a one year rental player?

Jville

Reaction score
I really like the look of this practice photo ......
Bdmtpvfi3hqupdeg2fw3
............... making the catch Steve Largent style :2thumbs: