Brandon Marshall released

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Between Doug being back and Moore's success, this was a no brainer move.

I was hoping Marshall could find one more year left in his tank to be the big bodied WR we need, but even when he was given opportunities, he had some drops and couldn't get it done.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Curious what other roster move this is leading to.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3l0vzzlo said:
thought his veteran presence would be great.I And I felt like we should keep him for depth. So i don’t agree with this move but I understand

How can you make an assumption like that without knowing the inner workings of our team? Our front office, with a ton more knowledge than us, thought he wasn't as asset for us anymore.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Jville":y74296uq said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1057345715163271169[/tweet]

Twitter reactions can be comical .................... [tweet]https://twitter.com/3YearLetterman/status/1057345008938954752[/tweet] ........................ poor guy is still living in the last century.

It is clearly a parody account.

Seymour

Reaction score
ivotuk":ubu3tvbq said:
Seymour":ubu3tvbq said:
Scorpion05":ubu3tvbq said:
I thought his veteran presence would be great. And I felt like we should keep him for depth. So i don’t agree with this move but I understand

You don't think Baldwin's and Lockett's "veteran presence" is of any use to this team?

Not sure how you get "Baldwin and Lockett's veteran presence is of no use" out of "I thought Brandon's veteran presence would be great."

How does a positive ascribed to one player, become a negative for 2 other players? I see these kinds of posts all the time, and I don't see how they contribute to the conversation.

Because the veteran presence is already here and there is no specific need for JUST that (unless you believe it is lacking).

Seems clear enough to me at least.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkGA":q0fjam0f said:
Curious what other roster move this is leading to.

Well you have guys like Rasheem and McKissic close to coming back, so we're going to need to open up a roster spot in the next couple of weeks.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Is Rasheem not currently taking up a spot on the 53?

MrThortan

Reaction score
I liked Marshall but he did seem to drop important passes too often. Got to be reliable.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Seymour":qv2o0ttm said:
ivotuk":qv2o0ttm said:
Seymour":qv2o0ttm said:
Scorpion05":qv2o0ttm said:
I thought his veteran presence would be great. And I felt like we should keep him for depth. So i don’t agree with this move but I understand

You don't think Baldwin's and Lockett's "veteran presence" is of any use to this team?

Not sure how you get "Baldwin and Lockett's veteran presence is of no use" out of "I thought Brandon's veteran presence would be great."

How does a positive ascribed to one player, become a negative for 2 other players? I see these kinds of posts all the time, and I don't see how they contribute to the conversation.

Because the veteran presence is already here and there is no specific need for JUST that (unless you believe it is lacking).

You took a simple opinion and made it into something negative. Kind of unnecessary bud

Brandon Marshall at his peak was considered an Elite wide receiver, top 5 arguably. Terrell Owens like talent. My view of him was similar to that of Dwight Freeney, who we also ended up releasing.

If for example say, a veteran Quarterback with a lot of success in this league was the backup to Russ, I would consider it a major positive because although that QB no longer has the arm, he has the mind to offer insight. I viewed Marshall the same way, and it showed in training camp with Flowers crediting Marshall for teaching him a lot in how to defend a WR. Marshall's problem is he drops the ball too much.

I love Baldwin, Dickson, and Lockett. But taking my homer glasses off, none of them are Marshall at his peak. Especially for how cheap Marshall was, I saw value in him being a good mentor to our Wide Receivers. A guy who's gone through the mental struggles and can be a good leader in terms of keeping other guys straight. And he had a good relationship from a football knowledge standpoint with Russ.

That's all I was saying. Don't see how that can be even remotely controversial

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkGA":34y92q1v said:
Is Rasheem not currently taking up a spot on the 53?

Yes, but he's been inactive with the ankle injury.

McKissic's coming off the IR next week I think, so definitely would need a roster spot for him. Bottom line, Marshall's expendable if he's not going to dress and play every week.

Seymour

Reaction score
Scorpion05":27z1jcom said:
Seymour":27z1jcom said:
ivotuk":27z1jcom said:
Seymour":27z1jcom said:

You took a simple opinion and made it into something negative. Kind of unnecessary bud

Brandon Marshall at his peak was considered an Elite wide receiver, top 5 arguably. Terrell Owens like talent. My view of him was similar to that of Dwight Freeney, who we also ended up releasing.

If for example say, a veteran Quarterback with a lot of success in this league was the backup to Russ, I would consider it a major positive because although that QB no longer has the arm, he has the mind to offer insight. I viewed Marshall the same way, and it showed in training camp with Flowers crediting Marshall for teaching him a lot in how to defend a WR. Marshall's problem is he drops the ball too much.

I love Baldwin, Dickson, and Lockett. But taking my homer glasses off, none of them are Marshall at his peak. Especially for how cheap Marshall was, I saw value in him being a good mentor to our Wide Receivers. A guy who's gone through the mental struggles and can be a good leader in terms of keeping other guys straight. And he had a good relationship from a football knowledge standpoint with Russ.

I agree with most of that except 1 thing. It is "remotely controversial" because he is taking a roster spot! I have news also. Marshall is no longer his "top 5 self" either. Keeping him here just takes up a spot that guys like Moore could have and emerge from. You absolutely do not keep guys just for veteran leadership unless it is seriously seriously lacking. You make them into a coach if you have to, but you do not make them 1 of 53.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Scorpion05":fbo35m02 said:

Here's my take on why it's "remotely controversial"

With some things like objective performance analysis it can be useful to question the coaches' decisions and wonder if they made the correct decision or not.

However, with something like mentorship or team chemistry in my opinion it comes off a little silly for fans to think they know enough information to make a judgement like this. We ultimately have no idea what kind of impact Marshall was having on the locker room or the rest of the team, so it's really just guessing.

For all we know Marshall could have been frustrated with his lack of receptions and was actually a negative impact on team chemistry.

Just my 2 cents in regards to this issue. In these cases I usually just realize we don't know much and just default to the coaches on this (especially such successful ones)

Scorpion05

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1rvxtvlw said:
Scorpion05":1rvxtvlw said:
thought his veteran presence would be great.I And I felt like we should keep him for depth. So i don’t agree with this move but I understand

How can you make an assumption like that without knowing the inner workings of our team? Our front office, with a ton more knowledge than us, thought he wasn't as asset for us anymore.

I wasn't making an "assumption," it was simply an opinion. I'm not losing sleep over it

I don't think I need to go through a whole list of NFL examples, but great teams have a variety of leaders. Players who offer more than just what shows up on film/the box score. Jeff Saturday himself stated something similar to this on NFL Live. Sometimes the reason a team underachieves or falters is something as simple as having that extra guy in the film room. That extra guy to offer advice in a young player's ear. Look at what Duane Brown has done for Ifedi. In fact, I think Dwight Freeney's continued presence would have helped our DL guys

We have a lot of young players, some still trying to find their way. The best headlines are the ones that never happen. And as far as I'm concerned we've had way too many headlines lately because we had the WRONG kind of veterans on this team in past years. Brandon seemed like the right kind, and if we have a WR injury (*knock on wood*), I saw more upside in keeping him at that price.

As for me knowing more than the front office, they are capable of making mistakes. Just like me, just like you, just like any organization. It's the same front office that thought it was a good idea to hire Blair Walsh. Anyway, again I don't see the big deal. I thought Marshall was cheap, smart, showed minor flashes, could step in if one of our WRs goes down (especially with Baldwin's knee), and could be an additional mentor who's seen more as a player than most on our team. Also doesn't help that Jaron Brown has been mostly ineffective. So as it stands we have a healthy Lockett, healthy Moore, moderately healthy Baldwin...andddd...what?

xray

Reaction score
The Hawks have big body guys that can catch the ball...Ed Dickson...for sure and Vannett is contributing more now. Marshall was just " riding the pine " anyway.

Jville

Reaction score
In addition to helping Seattle’s offense early in the season, the six-time Pro-Bowler also came to Seattle and used his experience to help younger players, in particular rookie cornerback Tre Flowers, with whom he regularly worked one-on-one during and after practice.

“There’s a lot of wisdom there,” Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said during training camp. “The love that is demonstrated by the older guys taking care of the younger guys is real obvious, and a real good sign… Through watching his play, you knew that he has a real wide range of stuff that he can call on. I didn’t know if he would verbalize it and articulate it real well. He does beautifully. He has a willingness, too. He’s real open, real easy guy to deal with in asking questions and stuff like that. So, he’s been great.”

Link >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.seahawks.com/news/seahawks-release-receiver-brandon-marshall[/urltargetblank]

scutterhawk

Reaction score
There's been a big change since Pre-Season; Our Run game has been kicking ass, & Russell is making the most of his passing attack, and with the passing game pared down somewhat, ANY drops by our Receivers is a big deal, especially when it happens more than once or twice by our supposed sure fire Vets.....Gotta take advantage of your opportunities especially when you're not getting a lot of targets BECAUSE of a really successful Running Attack.
Good luck Marshall, I really do hope that you get another shot at playing for a more pass happy Offense somewhere.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
He doesn't play ST and we have 4 really good players at the position. Would like to see him back at some point if we have an injury, but outside of all that, he brought something to the team while here. Can't be mad at the guy.

Now, McKissic is still a week away from even being able to practice with the team, according to Pete. This shouldn't have anything to do with him. While Prosise had taken some reps with WRs, tgus likely doesn't have a lot o do with him either.

Timing is interesting in that the trade deadline is...today?

Need to see what the corresponding move us.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
He did himself no favors while he was here with all the drops and playing time. Not sure who would want him.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Watch this be about Bruce coming back to give an umph to the pass rush. Not sure how that would work, but I doubt they feel safe with KJs knee....otherwise Kendricks would be a non topic as well.

Seafan

Reaction score
No surprise. They obviously were waiting for Dickson's return. Fant is getting play in the slot.

Marshall's hands are suspect and he doesn't contribute on STs. Time to get someone on the roster who can contribute. He gets his whole salary and now has a chance to catch on with another team who can use him.

The Hawks have a couple guys on the PS can they can bring up if an injury occurs. Brown doesn't have to split snaps with Brandon now so hopefully he gets a couple more targets and can show some stuff. He's a nice target but I don't think he and Russ are on the same page like Moore.