Brandon Marshall signing

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawker84":17hebxou said:
I dont mind the signing, really doesn't matter if the offensive line issues aren't any better this season and Russ will be running for his life again.

If Marshall can give Wilson somewhere to go with the ball, he won't have to run as much.

sc85sis

Reaction score
hawknation2018":17s6vvaz said:
[youtube]mUOxEh3UAjk[/youtube]
Hard to gauge much from that but I still like seeing it.

Total side note, Nate Carroll looks so much like his dad.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1usvoq37 said:
kidhawk":1usvoq37 said:
Seymour":1usvoq37 said:
kidhawk":1usvoq37 said:
These are the reasons we were able to sign him to such a friendly deal. Yes there is a possibility his career may be (or should be) over, but the contract makes it easily worth the risk to see what he's got. If he comes in here and can perform, then we keep him around on a really cheap deal. If he fails from the start, then we walk away pretty much unscathed. It's a win/win deal.

There is a level headed reply. Pretty much what I've been saying. I'm only disputing mostly the "he is our red zone answer crowd" mostly with recent facts that some here dislike or blow off with their personal bias. Yes, I think he can contribute and was cheap for a reason, and YES I think we are better off in the long run if Darboh puts him on the bench.

I wouldn't complain at all if Darboh shows so much that keeping Marshall becomes unnecessary due to Darboh's talent. I would also be happy if Marshall gets a second wind and shows that he's still got his red zone skills and can be a solid contributor to us this year. Either of these scenarios would benefit us tremendously.

On the flip side, if we have to keep Marshall because Darboh just isn't that good, or if we cut Marshall because he's washed up and Darboh doesn't meet expectations, we could have some red zone issues this season, and that would make for a difficult season ahead.

For now, I'll hold out for the positive scenarios and be happy with either. I'll keep the negative scenarios in the back of my mind, but hopefully they never come to fruition.

Exactly why I am speaking out on this! That highlighted scenario could easily happen IMO. A good run game can go a long ways to help that though, and they've done more to make that happen then make up for the 16 passing TD's they let walk. (I'm giving Solari the benefit of the doubt that he helps the running game)

The best part about the signing though, is it adds to the positive options while leaving the negative option the same. If we hadn't signed Marshall, we'd only have Darboh. Right now, we have Darboh and we have Marshall and for only a 90k signing bonus, it's well worth it to see what he can bring. Even if he just teaches Darboh a thing or two in camp, it's my opinion that the possibilities far outweigh the risks involved.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1bf1vgqy said:
kidhawk":1bf1vgqy said:
On the flip side, if we have to keep Marshall because Darboh just isn't that good, or if we cut Marshall because he's washed up and Darboh doesn't meet expectations, we could have some red zone issues this season, and that would make for a difficult season ahead.

For now, I'll hold out for the positive scenarios and be happy with either. I'll keep the negative scenarios in the back of my mind, but hopefully they never come to fruition.

Exactly why I am speaking out on this! That highlighted scenario could easily happen IMO. A good run game can go a long ways to help that though, and they've done more to make that happen then make up for the 16 passing TD's they let walk. (I'm giving Solari the benefit of the doubt that he helps the running game)
Hang on - I am really trying to follow the logic here.

If Darboh isn't any good then adding Marshall is potentially a bad thing because Marshall could also turn out to be not any good.

Is that a correct summation?

But if Darboh isn't any good and we passed on Marshall, then wouldn't we be equally screwed? And if Darboh isn't any good but Marshall IS good, that would be a big win, wouldn't it? And if Darboh IS good and Marshall IS good then that's pretty much red zone solved, isn't it?

Let's say for example that Darboh is 50/50. That's a 50% failure rate.

Let's say Marshall is also 50/50. Please keep that in mind - in no way am I saying he is 100% success, just 50/50. That means in the 50% Darboh failure, we have a Plan B that is 50% effective, mitigating that 50% failure to a 25% failure.

So with only Darboh there is 50% chance we have 1 red zone target, and 50% chance we have no red zone target.

With Darboh + Marshall there is 25% chance we have 2 red zone targets, 50% chance we have 1 red zone target, and only 25% chance we have no red zone targets.

I'm really struggling to see how this is something to speak out on. The way I see the maths, we are mitigating a risk, which is a good thing, isn't it?

Fade

Reaction score
@ 90k it is essentially a tryout contract.

I upgrade this move from good to great. No downside whatsoever for a chance at getting a nice situational contributor, and perhaps spot starter.

The young guys will play better too, they won't be handed a roster spot by default.

chris98251

Reaction score
People are looking at his red zone production and fall off last year, I would like to know how many of you that are knocking him have tried to cut and jump with a messed up big toe and ankle. It limits you. Sometimes the mistake is playing with a injury rather then getting it taken care of. The nice thing is he has a chip, or as he said has been humbled and has something to prove now. I am not selling a guy with his talent short. 34 is still a productive age for a WR.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Looking jacked
Ofeb9audqpctrk8vgnom

Obviously, an extremely hard worker who seems determined to return to form this year.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Someone's pumped . . .

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DuaneBrown76/status/1001562059891400706[/tweet]

chris98251

Reaction score
You really get perspective seeing Baldwin next to Marshall, man is pretty big.

B0hdgipwlnyfqaneja9b

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":mm409mc7 said:
You really get perspective seeing Baldwin next to Marshall, man is pretty big.

B0hdgipwlnyfqaneja9b

Marshall is almost the same size as jimmy graham, and probably more willing to block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawkfan68

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2akgwm5i said:
Only guaranteed $90,000? That's a great signing.

I don’t believe that is accurate. He would be making less than the rookie minimum. Doubt any vet player would sign a contract like that. Here’s the vet min salaries for last year. This year those figures will probably go up.
http://www.spotrac.com/blog/nfl-minimum-salaries-for-2017/

Jville

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2o83kkoi said:
pittpnthrs":2o83kkoi said:

I don’t believe that is accurate. He would be making less than the rookie minimum. Doubt any vet player would sign a contract like that. Here’s the vet min salaries for last year. This year those figures will probably go up.

The $90k he is referring to was the signing bonus paid as posted earlier in the thread >>>> [urltargetblank]http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?p=2178128#p2178128[/urltargetblank]

Fade

Reaction score
hawkfan68":qvjl2pk5 said:
pittpnthrs":qvjl2pk5 said:

He has to make the 53 to get his salary. If he is cut before then he only gets his 90k signing bonus.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1002252357755949058[/tweet]

NINEster

Reaction score
Seymour":qkb6vas5 said:
Sgt. Largent":qkb6vas5 said:
Seymour":qkb6vas5 said:
Sgt. Largent":qkb6vas5 said:
Marshall's skill isn't in question, it's his health and attitude.............and IMO at this point in his career it's just his health.

Two major ankle/foot surgeries = might be tough to get back to full speed health and contribute. But if he can? Great signing, cause Marshall knows he has to perform if he wants to keep getting NFL paychecks.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/age-of-decline-wr

Jumping off of the Cliff (35-plus years old)
As we saw in the first graph at the top of the article, the productivity of wide receivers really takes a dive after 34, making it hard to get excited about the comeback attempts of Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, and Plaxico Burress. Since Moss is the only employed member of this elderly trio, he’s being taken the highest with an ADP of WR43. That’s pretty high for a receiver who has been given the dreaded “snap count” designation in a mediocre pass offense. Besides, he only has 10 catches since week five of 2010.

Off Topic, but this paragraph above is a very easy sell for why Rice was the GOAT to those that want to put Moss and others above him.....was still contributing way past 34 years of age. 1000 yard seasons with Rich Gannon past age 40...

The next 42 year old WR will be.......er, won't be one. :2thumbs:

Back on topic....the Marshall projections will be impossible to make.

His dominance in the Levi's Stadium opener still seared into memory.... :x

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jville":mvm52r77 said:
hawkfan68":mvm52r77 said:
pittpnthrs":mvm52r77 said:

The $90k he is referring to was the signing bonus paid as posted earlier in the thread >>>> [urltargetblank]http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?p=2178128#p2178128[/urltargetblank]

Ahh...thanks. I missed the earlier post. My apologies @pittpnthrs. Nice deal for the Hawks. Good job PC/JS