BREAKING NEWS: Percy Harvin Traded to Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
Rat":nwb9nemw said:
Snakeeyes007":nwb9nemw said:
Perhaps a 2nd rounder that could become a 1st if Percy meets certain benchmarks, but no mid-rounder. :34853_doh:
His new QB is Geno Smith, so I wouldn't hold my breath on any conditions being met.

Perhaps he'll be playing wildcat QB full-time for the rest of the season with the Jets! ;)

Skansi82

Reaction score
Maybe we'll shy away from trading for players and get back to our draft/develop players that fit the Seahawks' philosophy. My only concern is that continually clipping established players might lead to increased distrust for the front office among the players.

Feed the Hawk

Reaction score
ManBunts":3djm91fp said:
I've settled down and had a beer to rethink this:
-Percy's biggest value was in his threat. People had to guard against what he COULD do. He's lined up wide but might go in motion to a jet sweep or run a crossing route. His dynamacy was the most dangerous thing
BUT
-Percy, as a player, for what we dealt and paid, has been a bust. I loved that return in the SB. It was a dagger. They were on the ropes and it was a haymaker. But otherwise, his production has been horrible based on two seasons-ish of work. Too many injuries.
AND SO
-We have Richardson, who is allegedly a younger Harvin. Walters to handle kickoffs. And it just freed up a ton of cash for landing some lineman. Yes, we're eating some dead money, but there's still plenty left to spend.
THAT SAID
-You don't just eat those picks and that money for no reason. So we're looking at attitude or injury. I don't buy this "can't fit him into the offense crap". If we were going to lose THAT much, then you just stick him at returns and get some sort of profit there. He can be dangerous enough in that role. And I know JS/PC value morale, but I don't see them doing this just based on attitude as I've heard. It's too big a loss, makes no fiscal sense. Again, put him on returns.
THEREFORE
-I've convinced myself it's injury related. And so I'm okay with this. No more waiting, no more tying up money, let's focus on developing Richardson and Norwood, let's buy some damn protection for Russell.

2 seasons-ish of work? The man didn't even play a full 8 games.

You also can't trade an injured player.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
keatonisballin":1wc2smdl said:
So now we have Kearse, Baldwin and Lockette? Wow. Let's hope we get back to running it up the gut and deep shots. Get rid of the sweeps and bubbles.

...and Richardson and Norwood.

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1y3metwr said:
Why is one single person saying this is Schneider's worst deal? When they got Percy, Pete announced he has wanted this kid since high school.

Ding, ding, ding. Pete got hormonal, oh well.

I'm not sure why anyone's coming in telling us what we traded for him? We all know that. We all know the luxury of hindsight makes this a bad deal. I could care less. Unless it makes you sound smart (which it doesn't)?

They brought in PRich to be a Harvin double. Trading Percy today, doesn't mean we can go back in time or anything, so who cares about the picks.

Oh well..

Rat

Reaction score
Flynn wasn't a bad acquistion. We didn't trade for him, his contract was reasonable, and that QB competition appeared to have brought out the best in Russell Wilson.

mikeak

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":2rid6k55 said:
This thinking that they are doing it to free up cap space is ridiculous. They could have just cut him after the season and kept Harvin for this year if it was truly about cap space. They wouldn't have received a conditional pick in return, but the cap space would have been the same.

EDIT: Nevermind the info I saw on spotrac had already changed to Jets.

WOW THEY GAVE HIM $12Million signing bonus

Does anyone know what the seahawks signing bonus was?

Remember dead money this year for salary should have moved from the seahawks to Jets - only signing bonus portion for the rest of hte contract would be the cap hit. If we cut him next year the signing bonus for the remaining years would have hit next year

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I'm thinking the salary cap is big factor in this decision, but there is likely a little more to it. I'm not going to speculate that he was a cancer or that the coaches couldn't figure out how to use him...he may have just been a bad fit for our team and for what we want to do offensively.

I'm grateful for the plays he made as a Seahawk., especially in last year's post-season.

AgentDib

Reaction score
bigwrm":1ae0xf8r said:
Yep, time to start rooting for big production/playing time for percy and jets losses.
You said it, Hawks fans now want to see the Jets lose out while getting great numbers from Harvin.

The worst outcome of this for me would be if Harvin dominates on the Jets and wins games for them. That would have me seriously questioning Bevell's ability to use him and the FO's management of this situation.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
ManBunts":mjsl2iie said:
What are the odds that part of this was to make cap space for Wilson?
None at all. They could have shipped Percy for a conditional to any team any day of the week. If they wanted to clear cap for Wilson they could have done it at the end of the season. This is a reactionary move to something that has occurred.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
DavidSeven":bz92oi36 said:
NFSeahawks628":bz92oi36 said:
DavidSeven":bz92oi36 said:
Oh jeez. We're really going to play the "Percy Harvin is a locker-room cancer, FIRE BEVELL" card? Really?

No bro, were playing the, "Pete is dumbing down the offensive play calls for Bevell" card.

Well at least I am.

So, you really believe that one year after selling the farm on the "most dynamic player in football," Pete Carroll decided to sell Harvin for pennies to the dollar and took a colossal dead money hit so he could get back to running a simplistic run-and-play-action offense?

They've been shopping him for weeks. You think he made this decision after he lit up Green Bay or after he housed a 50-yard run in San Diego?

I think it's a combination of both scenarios, and please don't pretend like you knew he was on the trade market, you didn't.

Just because information is on twitter, that doesn't mean it's your information.

I'm a no BS type of guy DavidSeven I'm sure you know that, no hard feelings.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":aoq1zuzx said:
Hawknballs":aoq1zuzx said:
pehawk":aoq1zuzx said:
Good thing they drafted a dude who can, in a pinch, run in Percy's spot; Richardson.

I'm stoked!

you're stoked? that we threw away draft picks for nothing?

For nothing? Last I checked the Hawks got a Lombardi. And, I don't fret over isht in the rearview.

I'm also a positive dude, this gives chances to good young players.

Oh, and maybe now they can get Mike Williams.

I agree, I look at it like we got what we wanted out of him a super bowl is well worth the price. He has done nothing this year but take KR out of the endzone and not get to the 20 yard line and really one big play for a touchdown that should have never been.

IronSaint

Reaction score
Rat":1hq1vlkv said:
Yep, the Vikings got another one over on us.

This has to be easily the least impressive group of wideouts in the NFC now. Please stay healthy, Marshawn Lynch.

Haha, I don't know about that, man. I think we hold that title. :lol:

AbsolutNET":1hq1vlkv said:
DavidSeven":1hq1vlkv said:
If you guys believe that, I got some prime swamp land for you.

Can I build on it?

Yeah, but you'll need a boat and a lot of dirt. :th2thumbs:

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Stunned... Just wow....

Looking forward to Pete's explanation

Hawks46

Reaction score
Holy. Sh*t. Wow.

ESPN in Portland, Big Suk just said he had sources close to the locker room in Seattle, and he was saying that Harvin was a headache to deal with and a terrible fit in the WR room with the other receivers, and this has been going on since the begginning of the season. He also said that Lynch is a bit of a headache as well, and takes a lot of management and there just wasn't the energy/resources to manage both of these guys.

It makes sense from what we're seeing: Seattle and Wilson forcing the ball to Harvin on plays that just aren't there, just to get him the ball. Maybe trying to appease him. Also, Bevell publicly came out and said they weren't trying to appease people, which if it has to be mentioned specifically, means it usually is true.

We know the fastest way off of this team is having an attitude problem and not buying in. If you don't compete, or have an issue with big balls Pete, you're ass is off the team. We've seen it time and again. It had to be an attitude issue.

If you're going to punish a guy, I can't think of a better team to send him to than the Jets. Idzik was smart on this one; none of Harvin's contract is guaranteed after 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.