Brian Schottenheimer

Ozzy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2kqks8re said:
Rex Ryan was just on Brock and Salk this morning to talk about Schottenheimer, he was Rex's OC in NY..............and the one thing that stuck out about what Rex said about him was he's "loyal."

So that makes perfect sense, Pete went from one yes man to another, an OC that won't question or challenge Pete on how to run his offense.

I'll give Brian a chance, cause I need to see how the offense looks before taking a dump on it. But my first impression of this hire is meh, a retread coordinator that Pete hired because he's a yes man that'll run things how Pete wants things run............and not someone with any innovation.

You pretty much nailed my thoughts. I wasn't excited initially, I'm still not all that excited but I'm hopeful the offense will have a little more stability, consistency, run better and along with a well coached offensive line we should see some improvement, maybe even drastically. I'm willing to give it a chance and I can see an avenue where that does take place.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":qz0nosad said:
Tusc2000":qz0nosad said:
Anajimmc":qz0nosad said:
Sox-n-Hawks":qz0nosad said:
I've said it in another thread and I'll say something similar here.

Pete Carroll was an abject failure as an NFL coach and lamented by many when he came back from the college level. Let's see what he can do with Schotty. Maybe he'll mesh well and buy into Pete's philosophies and take this team to the next level. He certainly has the talent on the field to make it happen. I'm curious to see who he picks up as an O-Line coach. I hear Les Miles is unemployed :2thumbs:
I grew up in So Cal, and have been a die hard Trojan fan my entire life. The 90's were not good to USC, talking heads were eulogizing the once great program that was the national football power USC. At the end of the Hackett era SC was looking for a coach that could bring Troy back to national prominence. Enter Pete Carroll, the hire was roundly hated, this coach was a failure, based on his past there was no way that there would be a future of anything but continued mediocracy. Good lord was everybody wrong, SC came back with a fury, and have been in the national conversation ever since. Thank goodness prescience is not a strong point of the average football fan, people can talk all the shit they want, but that's all it is. Based on my past experience, I choose to trust Pete.

The difference is that in 2001, Pete hired Norm Chow, one of the brightest minds in the college game to be his OC. Back then, all of the pieces were in place for the Trojans, he had Chow running the O and Pete was running the D. Pete had proven he was a brilliant DC, and he took on that role with USC. Brian S. has yet demonstrate any brilliance as an OC.

This is a huge roll-of-the-dice. If you're from USC, you know we used to call him Big Balls Pete because he would take some very large risks. Some worked out well, but others were very big whiffs. In this instance, Pete's job is on the line with Brian S, and I don't know that I'd bet my career on this hire.

There are ZERO rules to keep the Seahawks from hiring an offensive genius as a consultant to get Schotty to the next level either. Tony Dungy anyone? Already has ties to the PNW.
Pete also had Sarkiffen, so what? For everybody out there who is sure how this is going to turn out please give next weeks lottery numbers....Nevermind will have as much chance of being right as your football predictions.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
Tusc2000":7k7nepnz said:
TreeRon":7k7nepnz said:
"Pete hired Norm Chow, one of the brightest minds in the college game to be his OC. "
Wasn't Chow fired at U Hawaii after failing as HC?

Yes. The Peter Principle at work here. Chow was an excellent college OC, but performed poorly as an HC. Some guys are just better at being assistants than at running the whole show.
Yet he followed up his stint at USC with UCLA and failed miserably, maybe the system & personnel and competition have something to do with success.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":34fpbqe6 said:
Rex Ryan was just on Brock and Salk this morning to talk about Schottenheimer, he was Rex's OC in NY..............and the one thing that stuck out about what Rex said about him was he's "loyal."

So that makes perfect sense, Pete went from one yes man to another, an OC that won't question or challenge Pete on how to run his offense.

I'll give Brian a chance, cause I need to see how the offense looks before taking a dump on it. But my first impression of this hire is meh, a retread coordinator that Pete hired because he's a yes man that'll run things how Pete wants things run............and not someone with any innovation.

Yep. ;)

Puppet

Fade

Reaction score
Dungy??????? Offensive genius??????????????
Fimages2F96d132309f2874d32060dd5fb6534a492Ftenor
Dungy is a defensive coach, come on man.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
This hire does not make me excited. But if I find myself slipping away from keeping an open mind and giving it a shot I'll find footage of the first half of our games this year.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Fade":v220rbkx said:
Dungy??????? Offensive genius??????????????
Fimages2F96d132309f2874d32060dd5fb6534a492Ftenor
Dungy is a defensive coach, come on man.

I jest man. No different than picking up basketball players to play Tackle

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I’m holding out hope that he’s just going to be the QB coach and that an innovative OC candidate is still being pursued?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
austinslater25":2rbr3rhk said:
Sgt. Largent":2rbr3rhk said:

You pretty much nailed my thoughts. I wasn't excited initially, I'm still not all that excited but I'm hopeful the offense will have a little more stability, consistency, run better and along with a well coached offensive line we should see some improvement, maybe even drastically. I'm willing to give it a chance and I can see an avenue where that does take place.

If I'm trying to analyze this glass half full............Schottenheimer is coming from Georgia in 2015 where he did install a NASTY run game for Kirby Smart.

So if paired with the right line coach, I could see him making a positive impact on getting our run game back on track. Which was I imagine a big reason Pete likes him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2yeqy9jl said:
Mike Mularkey just became available.

Seems like a guy who's going to take a year off, or wait for a HC job. Not sure how he'd fit in here.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":lfu026fb said:
TheLegendOfBoom":lfu026fb said:
Mike Mularkey just became available.

Seems like a guy who's going to take a year off, or wait for a HC job. Not sure how he'd fit in here.

To quote Band of Brothers, "Isn't Mularkey slang for B.S."

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Seymour":24sqf1mo said:
Except that is pretty much a cold slap in the face to the level of confidence you have in your new OC.

Pete doesn't want innovation on offense IMO. He has shown that by keeping Cable who was league worst in pass pro. Pete places so much emphasis on the running game, he is blinded to many other things going on. That is why I call BS a puppet, and he already knows Pete's moves. I've stated that several times, that was Pete's cheesy offense as much as Bevell's. Yes Bevell was poor as a play caller, but now our only hope is an oline that can allow the offense to at least function.

I'm willing to see how it plays out. But if I had to guess, it would be we will be back here a year from now having the same discussion about Pete's time has come.

Sadly I think your spot on Seymour. In my moments of celebration with the firing of Bevell, I didnt care who we brought in as it almost had to be an improvement. Now that i've had time to reflect on the new hiring, I dont feel the results are going to be much different next season.

mistaowen

Reaction score
We all know Pete really wants a strong running game, so in the grand scheme of things, he does make sense as an OC. He's remained committed to the running game everywhere he's been and as Sgt pointed out above, he helped install a really impressive running game at Georgia. I think the passing game will remain above average with Russell no matter what, the key to what Pete wants is a running game that can work. I just worry he's too much of a yes man and we will continue to see a passing offense that consists of long developing passing plays even if there's zero rhythm.

Saw a quote on twitter by Rex Ryan about how he wanted to run the ball 40+ times and while the team was down 20-3, he asked Brian why they were still running and he said 'because you said you wanted to run it 40 times'. That's where I kind of wish Pete went with a guy who will take command of the offense. We will see though, the optimist in me saw Andrew Luck put out his best season with a bum shoulder under him.

AgentDib

Reaction score
WalterFootball not only managed to grade the 2012 Seahawks draft as the worst draft of all time, but constantly assigns terrible grades. His three worst grades of 2016 went to the Patriots, Rams, and Falcons, who all look to have nailed those drafts with two years of hindsight. He even re-graded the Rams draft last off-season with one of his "special funny" F Kielbasa grades. At this point I'm not even sure if he is just really awful at his job or actively amazing at being wrong.

lobohawk":3e0o4qpj said:
No firm opinion on BS yet.
What?! He's been rumored to the Hawks for three days now.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":18z3ocbt said:
Seymour":18z3ocbt said:
Except that is pretty much a cold slap in the face to the level of confidence you have in your new OC.

Pete doesn't want innovation on offense IMO. He has shown that by keeping Cable who was league worst in pass pro. Pete places so much emphasis on the running game, he is blinded to many other things going on. That is why I call BS a puppet, and he already knows Pete's moves. I've stated that several times, that was Pete's cheesy offense as much as Bevell's. Yes Bevell was poor as a play caller, but now our only hope is an oline that can allow the offense to at least function.

I'm willing to see how it plays out. But if I had to guess, it would be we will be back here a year from now having the same discussion about Pete's time has come.

Sadly I think your spot on Seymour. In my moments of celebration with the firing of Bevell, I didnt care who we brought in as it almost had to be an improvement. Now that i've had time to reflect on the new hiring, I dont feel the results are going to be much different next season.

Which isn't horrible, because we went 9-7 with no run game and no kicker.

Although Schotty's history is as a zone guy (trying to find where I read that), if he can quickly install a strong run game, a lot of things are going to take care of themselves, like Sgt. said. I think that's the biggest thing for us to hang our hats on right now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1ipoj3tt said:
Although Schotty's history is as a zone guy (trying to find where I read that), if he can quickly install a strong run game, a lot of things are going to take care of themselves, like Sgt. said. I think that's the biggest thing for us to hang our hats on right now.

Right, a big factor in all this that we're really not talking about yet is chemistry between Pete, Brian and whoever the O-line coach will be.

So it's more than just looking at this in the vacuum of wanting some sexy innovative wunderkind, or O-Coordinator that might clash with Pete and not get the best out of Russell.

I think we found out this year that Russell throwing it 40 times a game getting hammered and running for his life might not be the best way to go. So maybe circling the wagons on the run game and getting Schottenheimer in here to help fix that might not be such a bad thing.

Again, NOT very excited about this hire right now. But if Brian can help fix the run game and get us back to pounding the rock successfully opening up Russell's awesome play action explosive plays game? I'm down for that.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":fo7an65n said:
MontanaHawk05":fo7an65n said:

Right, a big factor in all this that we're really not talking about yet is chemistry between Pete, Brian and whoever the O-line coach will be.

So it's more than just looking at this in the vacuum of wanting some sexy innovative wunderkind, or O-Coordinator that might clash with Pete and not get the best out of Russell.

I think we found out this year that Russell throwing it 40 times a game getting hammered and running for his life might not be the best way to go. So maybe circling the wagons on the run game and getting Schottenheimer in here to help fix that might not be such a bad thing.

Again, NOT very excited about this hire right now. But if Brian can help fix the run game and get us back to pounding the rock successfully opening up Russell's awesome play action explosive plays game? I'm down for that.
Hawks would still be playing with a league average O-Line.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Anajimmc":1a139x47 said:
Sgt. Largent":1a139x47 said:
MontanaHawk05":1a139x47 said:

I would settle for average over what we saw this season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Anajimmc":2iozetpo said:
Sgt. Largent":2iozetpo said:
MontanaHawk05":2iozetpo said:

Of course the line and RB situation still needs to be addressed. But at least now you don't have a stubborn line coach regressing his linemen under an antiquated ZBS in a league that now penalizes backdoor crackback blocks.

Latest posts