Brian Schottenheimer

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2018":34b1wvq9 said:
So many negative assumptions . . . before he has even called a single play for the Seahawks. That's pathetic, IMO.

I've come around a little more today, Schottenheimer could go a long way in helping get the run game back on track.

He's also never had this talented of a QB to work with, so while this hire doesn't exactly excite me..............I am willing to give any new coach the benefit of the doubt.

Hey, I'm just happy I don't have to log on Monday mornings anymore and see 50 fire Bevell posts.

toffee

Reaction score
There may be hope that Schottenheimer may not become our next OC: In the last two days, Pete let it known that Ken Norton is coming back as DC, and Solaris coming as OL coach but not a word about Schottenheimer. May be push back by 12 is causing Pete to rethink?

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
toffee":1rdvdyvb said:
There may be hope that Schottenheimer may not become our next OC: In the last two days, Pete let it known that Ken Norton is coming back as DC, and Solaris coming as OL coach but not a word about Schottenheimer. May be push back by 12 is causing Pete to rethink?

Nope, Pete knows more about who's going where than we can imagine. His personal relationship with Norton is 100% why he bailed on SF. He's cooking up something. Time for Pete to take a big risk.

HHawk121

Reaction score
Schottenheimer appears to get the most out of undertalented players. Bevell wasted highly talented ones. I'll take Schotty all day, every day over Bevell.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It's too bad that Graham is UFA. I think he's the perfect TE for Brian Schottenheimer offense. I've been reading up on Schottenheimer and Air Coryell offense. It's a philosophy that thrives on vertical and seam routes. Guess what Graham's strength is/was before he was in Cabevell offense? Yup, He thrived in the seam and vertical routes. I think he could do very well if Schottenheimer's offense performs as planned.

Good thing is there are some TE's in this draft that can work well - Andrews (OU), Hayden Hurst (NC St), Mike Gesicki (PSU), Ian Thomas (IU), and Fumangalli (Wisc).

Own The West

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":22205dn7 said:
If I'm trying to analyze this glass half full............Schottenheimer is coming from Georgia in 2015 where he did install a NASTY run game for Kirby Smart.

So if paired with the right line coach, I could see him making a positive impact on getting our run game back on track. Which was I imagine a big reason Pete likes him.

Wasn't it Jim Chaney that put in the Georgia running game? Chaney was Drew Brees' coach at Purdue too.

Let's interview him!

sdog1981

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1vsr2dql said:
I want 45 touchdowns and 30 FG = 405 points

Or .... 50 touchdowns and 20 FG = 410 points

Or 40 touchdowns and 40 field goals = 400 points (worst case scenario, ie, red zone struggles).

400 points a season is what an NFL offense should score in this era, so what is that? 25 PPG?

Let's go with that. 25 PPG on offense is what I expect an OC to accomplish. That way if our defense is good, it's playoffs, and if our defense is great , it's Superbowl.

Only 8 teams scored over 400 points last season and 7 of them won their division. So that is a good goal to aim for.

2012 Seahawks 412
2013 Seahawks 417
2014 Seahawks 397
2015 Seahawks 423
2016 Seahawks 354
2017 Seahawks 366

for fun

2005 Seahawks 452

chris98251

Reaction score
toffee":xju5w22l said:

Or they are waiting for the guys who assign parking lot spaces to find one big enough to put his name on and spell it correctly.

chris98251

Reaction score
Graham, Sefarian-Jenkins both would thrive in the passing game, but it also requires blocking and the want to remember this is running first still but with guys moving all over the field for passing attacks as well, Sefarian-Jenkins has learned that, Grahams heart is never in it.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I was cautiously optimistic.

Now I am skeptically optimistic, maybe more skeptical than optimist - but I am hopeful, if not a little jaded.

The stuff about Pete asserting control over the team worries me. It isn't like Pete is some strategic or tactical genius, so I was hoping we could find someone that is.

Pete is a motivational coach, that made it work in the NFL. But his X/O stuff is middling.

This kind of hire isn't helping things.

We will see.

Hustle_Wilson

Reaction score
Schotty went full Bevell on the biggest stage the Jets had - the 2011 AFC title game against the Stealers. That game as a whole was very similar to recent Hawks games - awful first half buried in a big hole and a furious 2nd half rally that came up short. A key part of it - 1st and goal at the 2 that ended up with a 4th down stuff thanks to getting too cute passing with Sanchez instead of pounding the rock with Shonn Greene, who had converted a 4th down earlier in the same drive!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/26/jets-tipped-their-plays-on-steelers-goal-line-stand/

Meet the new OC...same as the old OC

Seymour

Reaction score
If he can bring a strong screen game, get run game to mid level, get oline to mid + level, and find a kicker we should hit 11+W's next year.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Hustle_Wilson":1x2j8vql said:
Schotty went full Bevell on the biggest stage the Jets had - the 2011 AFC title game against the Stealers. That game as a whole was very similar to recent Hawks games - awful first half buried in a big hole and a furious 2nd half rally that came up short. A key part of it - 1st and goal at the 2 that ended up with a 4th down stuff thanks to getting too cute passing with Sanchez instead of pounding the rock with Shonn Greene, who had converted a 4th down earlier in the same drive!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/26/jets-tipped-their-plays-on-steelers-goal-line-stand/

I don't think this happened the way you remember it.

The Steelers had the #1 run defense in 2010, unlike the Patriots who had one of the worst run defenses in the NFL in 2014.

1st and Goal at PIT 2
(8:39 - 4th) S.Greene up the middle to PIT 1 for 1 yard (J.Farrior, L.Timmons).

2nd and Goal at PIT 1
(7:56 - 4th) M.Sanchez pass incomplete short right to D.Keller. Coverage by #25 Clark.

3rd and Goal at PIT 1
(7:53 - 4th) M.Sanchez pass incomplete short right to S.Holmes (L.Woodley). Batted down near the line of scrimmage.

4th and Goal at PIT 1
(7:50 - 4th) L.Tomlinson up the middle to PIT 1 for no gain (B.Keisel, C.Hampton).

They attempted runs on first down and 4th down (against the best run defense in the NFL) . . . to no avail. That is balance.

On their next drive, Sanchez threw a TD pass to Cotchery from the four yard line to make it a five-point game.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":hri7rp8e said:
Hey, I'm just happy I don't have to log on Monday mornings anymore and see 50 fire Bevell posts.

They'll be replaced, probably during training camp or pre-season, with Schottenheimer's name attached.

My optimism runs high! :2thumbs:

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
hawkfan68":zps0ahk3 said:
It's too bad that Graham is UFA. I think he's the perfect TE for Brian Schottenheimer offense. I've been reading up on Schottenheimer and Air Coryell offense. It's a philosophy that thrives on vertical and seam routes. Guess what Graham's strength is/was before he was in Cabevell offense? Yup, He thrived in the seam and vertical routes. I think he could do very well if Schottenheimer's offense performs as planned.

Good thing is there are some TE's in this draft that can work well - Andrews (OU), Hayden Hurst (NC St), Mike Gesicki (PSU), Ian Thomas (IU), and Fumangalli (Wisc).

I wrote the following about Jimmy Graham a couple of weeks ago ...

The issue with Jimmy Graham coming back (in my mind) is twofold ...

#1 -- $10-15 Million (or whatever the actual contract number would happen to be) is just FAR too much for a 31 year old TE. There are a lot of other areas where that money can be allocated.

Much more importantly though it's about ...

#2 -- IDENTITY. So much of the questions we find ourselves asking about this team come down to questions of IDENTITY. Who are the Seattle Seahawks? What are they all about? At the heart of it, what are their core values? For the Hawks under Pete Carroll, the answer to that question has been all about ...

Hard Nosed In Your Face Defense
Toughness
Nastiness and "being the bully" -- punching other teams in the mouth until they cry uncle and submit.
Running the Football (Marshawn Lynch embodied what this team was all about). It's STILL what they value.

So, which part of that does Jimmy Graham truly support? I mean, he's a very talented pass catcher (that goes without saying). At 6'7" 265 lbs he's admittedly a match-up nightmare ... and Russell Wilson clearly came to rely upon him. There's a chemistry there.

BUT ... when you look at Jimmy Graham, does he really embody that "nastiness"? Is he a bully to opposing defenses? Does he shove them around? Is he a good, hard nosed, nasty run blocker?

The answer to all of that (of course) is No. When push comes to shove, he's a finesse player ... and this Seahawks team has never been about finesse. He's a square peg in a round hole whom we've tried to make fit ever since he's been here. IMO, that missing piece right there (Graham's lack of nastiness, poor run blocking, etc.) has been part of the problem. His lack of blocking ability and nastiness is part of what's ailed this team, in terms of the running game and also blocking for other receivers after the catch.

To me, I'd rather roll with Nick Vannett in there and see what he can do if you give him the reps that Jimmy Graham had. Vannett reminds me a lot of what this team used to have in Zach Miller. THAT'S more of the kind of TE that fits in this offense. And he's going to be a whole heck of a lot less expensive.

I'm firmly of the opinion that Graham is gone for all of the reasons noted above.
http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=145145&start=50

I stand firmly by those exact same comments. Nothing that's happened has changed that opinion. In fact, Pete bringing in Brian Schottenheimer has only cemented that opinion. I'm sorry, but I just don't believe Graham fits what the Seahawks intend to do with the offense moving forward.

chris98251

Reaction score
ASJ is a much better fit really, he has learned or learning more about blocking, is willing, has a nasty streak and is a good receiver. He had maturity issues that made people associate him with a Jeremy Stevens profile, but he seems to have grown up since that Tampa Bay situation.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":prr5m7r1 said:
I was cautiously optimistic.

Now I am skeptically optimistic, maybe more skeptical than optimist - but I am hopeful, if not a little jaded.

The stuff about Pete asserting control over the team worries me. It isn't like Pete is some strategic or tactical genius, so I was hoping we could find someone that is.

Pete is a motivational coach, that made it work in the NFL. But his X/O stuff is middling.

This kind of hire isn't helping things.

We will see.

Agree with all your statements and this is how I feel. Pete is a motivational and talent type coach. Use that strength then bring in innovators that can be productive with your vision. Nothing wrong with his philosophy either but if you hand the ball off and do not get yards or TDs that is not a running game.

OP
OP
Gio

Gio

Reaction score
fifty9fan":3k0grl5l said:
I remember a head coach that went 41-55 in his first 6 seasons. Dude's name is Bill Belichick.

I also remember Pete Carroll getting run out of the NFL on a rail after going 33-31 as a head coach with the Jets and Pats. Comes back in 2010 and has gone 79-48 since.

Bet the folks in Buffalo were just thrilled to get Marv Levy, who went 31-42 in 5 seasons with KC. 4 Superbowl appearances later, and a 112-70 record with the Bills created one of the NFL's great runs, and if the ball had bounced differently a couple of times, they may have been named among the dynasties of the late 80's/early 90's.

Point is, I don't think any of us have any idea what Schotty is gonna bring to the Seahawk table...just like the fans of the Pats, Seahawks and Bills had no clue either. And many of them cursed those hires, but in time, discovered the ability of humans to adapt, grow and succeed in new environments. Here's hoping the same thing happens to Schotty. I, for one, welcome his hire and hope for great results. And I can't wait to see what he does with Russ!!

It's certainly possible it may turn out to be a less than stellar hire, but right now, it's all good.

Go Hawks!!

I've read all comments in the thread and i have to say this is the best comment imo. Bevell wasn't coaching Russ but it looked like Russ was coaching Bevell. Let's hope this guy can change it and Russ learn from Brian. As for his past stats i dont care and thats why i quoted this message. Whining if he's good or not is not gonna help us , since most likely he will be our OC. So let's hope he's not Bevell , because i want to see something different offensively. Brian hasnt worked with a QB like Russ and that gives me hopes ! I also hope we bring a good OL coach , have no injuries in our roster and our starters to be healthy (injuries killed us this season) and bring a Defensive Coordinator that cant struggle in 3rd downs.

getnasty

Reaction score
Hustle_Wilson":3cb1nj0h said:

Let's not forget 2013 Rams/Seahawks when he decided to put the game in Kellen Clemens hands from the 1 yard line, Instead of Zac Stacey who killed us all day. That might have been the ugliest game in history.