Brian Schottenheimer

Exittium

Reaction score
There’s still nothing yet but speculation still sooo thats how I feel lol

toffee

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":32evpdpe said:
chris98251":32evpdpe said:
Prior to Petes run here you could say the same about him and his antiquated ideals of offense and Simple defense. Yet he made it work, Belichek failed in Cleveland so must be a retread also, most coaches fail before they succeed, many times it's the staff around them that help make them successful and not completely the Coach. Mora was pretty damn good in Atlanta for a while yet we seen what happened in Seattle, although he had a corrupt dealer at the table that set him up for failure before he got a chance really.
You keep making this comment, but I'm not seeing it. First of all, Mora only had one season in the NFL above .500. Each year he progressively got worse. Carroll had a record of success everywhere he went as defensive coordinator in the NFL, nobody ever called his defense "antiquated". Carroll was also regarded as one of the best secondary coaches/mentors. He had also built one of the most successful college programs. Carroll, as head coach had a record above .500 in the NFL as well. You keep making this comparison, it holds ZERO ground.

Lets compare Schottenheimers decade long cycle of failures. His most recent being the offensive coordinator of the Bulldogs, which was arguably his biggest failure -- especially when you consider how much the team dipped in offensive production while he was coordinator, and how it jumped back up after he was fired. Carroll, and yes even Belichick had some success in the NFL, Schottenheimer has had none. You're not giving any solid evidence that supports the guys, and that is because there is none. You're just holding out hope that he will magically "get it".

Unfortunately, we heard the warnings about Bevell, and we heard the warnings about Cable from Viking, and Raider fans. Now we are hearing the same kind of rumblings from other fans about Schotenheimer. What makes you think his tenure will be any different? Our head coach has already demonstrated that he has a streaky track record of hiring offensive coaches. You can be hopelessly optimistic, but I predict that you will be one of those screaming loudest of Schottenheimer's head come regular season.

+1

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Look, I don't think there's a fan in here that cares more about being proven right (About Schotty sucking)..than they care about us winning

But, can we at least all come to an agreement that it's really hard to be optimistic about Schotty? Like yea, we hope he does great. We hope he has a career year as a coordinator. We hope Russell throws for 40+ TDs. But if past success is a predictor of future success, can we at least admit there's not much to be optimistic about? That we're all just...Hoping?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1k26c7sx said:
Look, I don't think there's a fan in here that cares more about being proven right (About Schotty sucking)..than they care about us winning

But, can we at least all come to an agreement that it's really hard to be optimistic about Schotty? Like yea, we hope he does great. We hope he has a career year as a coordinator. We hope Russell throws for 40+ TDs. But if past success is a predictor of future success, can we at least admit there's not much to be optimistic about? That we're all just...Hoping?
Hoping is really all we got given his history as a coach. I'm just baffled as to why Pete Carroll is willing to give chances to people with such spotty track records. In Schottenheimers case, a man that couldn't even get it done in college, in one of the biggest programs. Why this guy? There were much better options out there, including the guy we let go. Yes -- Darrell Bevell had a better resume than Schottenheimer. Also yes, I am saying that Bevell, as bad as he was is a better coordinator than Schottenheimer.

Since we have watched this guy, I have been researching frantically trying to find a glimmer of hope. There is little to go on, the games I have watched of him, and the general consensus of fans and opposing fans about Schottenheimer is that he is horrible. The only reason why he has a job is by the virtue of his fathers reputation --- pure nepotism.

chris98251

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3jfm5ko4 said:
chris98251":3jfm5ko4 said:
Prior to Petes run here you could say the same about him and his antiquated ideals of offense and Simple defense. Yet he made it work, Belichek failed in Cleveland so must be a retread also, most coaches fail before they succeed, many times it's the staff around them that help make them successful and not completely the Coach. Mora was pretty damn good in Atlanta for a while yet we seen what happened in Seattle, although he had a corrupt dealer at the table that set him up for failure before he got a chance really.
You keep making this comment, but I'm not seeing it. First of all, Mora only had one season in the NFL above .500. Each year he progressively got worse. Carroll had a record of success everywhere he went as defensive coordinator in the NFL, nobody ever called his defense "antiquated". Carroll was also regarded as one of the best secondary coaches/mentors. He had also built one of the most successful college programs. Carroll, as head coach had a record above .500 in the NFL as well. You keep making this comparison, it holds ZERO ground.

Lets compare Schottenheimers decade long cycle of failures. His most recent being the offensive coordinator of the Bulldogs, which was arguably his biggest failure -- especially when you consider how much the team dipped in offensive production while he was coordinator, and how it jumped back up after he was fired. Carroll, and yes even Belichick had some success in the NFL, Schottenheimer has had none. You're not giving any solid evidence that supports the guys, and that is because there is none. You're just holding out hope that he will magically "get it".

Unfortunately, we heard the warnings about Bevell, and we heard the warnings about Cable from Viking, and Raider fans. Now we are hearing the same kind of rumblings from other fans about Schotenheimer. What makes you think his tenure will be any different? Our head coach has already demonstrated that he has a streaky track record of hiring offensive coaches. You can be hopelessly optimistic, but I predict that you will be one of those screaming loudest of Schottenheimer's head come regular season.

I look at the system he implements, I look at the track record of coaches who work and fine tune things till they have the pieces, I am optimistic now because the system if allowed to assemble the pieces has worked for 40 plus years, I at least will see what he brings to the table before I tar, feather, hang, and put his head on a pike like you and others are right now.

Every system needs the players and support of the GM and coach to work. That is the key to any Coach, DC or OC.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":5hdot6fj said:
Why is there 10 pages on this topic. Give the guy a chance you nutsos.
I suspect that a lot of people are feeling stupid now that it's proven that Bevell's worthless and his next job will probably be at a 7-11, so now they're trying to play Nostradamus; because God forbid we base our opinions on evidence in a new environment when we can just look at past bodies of work and selectively decide his future outcome from the comfort of our chairs.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2r5ktf6z said:
Hasn't coached a down here and he already sucks. Aaaah, gotta' love the positivity on dot net :lol:

I never had Mary Kay Letourneau as a teacher, but that doesn't mean that I didn't know that I would have liked to have "had her". :twisted:

xgeoff

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2u0s0zhk said:

So yeah, I'm pretty much with you on this, hoping rather than feeling confident or comfortable. But what really helps me is my belief that Darell Bevell wasn't the big problem with the offense. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we replaced him and he certainly wasn't the solution, but with Bevell and a decent kicker we go 11-5 last year.

you know who's offense I just loved watching recently? The Eagles. The Eagles and Doug Pederson came up with a scheme and a series of plays that maximized Nick Foles' abilities and seemingly gave their offense a number of creative options on every play. And one of those (less creative) options was always run the ball up the gut, if it's there. I loved it, the Vikings and the Falcons never really knew what was going to happen on any given play, and those two D's are damn good.

I would so love to see some creativity and flexibility instituted in our offense. When the time came for the Eagles to run out the clock, where they needed to convert 3rd downs, the Eagles had some safe and subtle short passing plays that broke the Vikings back. This is one of the things we needed this year. The times we failed on 3rd and short at critical moments in the game was beyond frustrating.

Please, Schotty, please just be creative with the offense. I think part of the problem with the Seahawks offense was that they were telegraphing their plays. Malcolm Butler said as much after the SB. In the NFL, making a DB or LB take one momentary step in the wrong direction can be the difference between the success or failure of a play.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
xgeoff":3um8hk99 said:
you know who's offense I just loved watching recently? The Eagles. The Eagles and Doug Pederson came up with a scheme and a series of plays that maximized Nick Foles' abilities and seemingly gave their offense a number of creative options on every play.

Who wants to tell him that the Eagles used...bubble screens?

xgeoff

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2oy3cfdn said:
xgeoff":2oy3cfdn said:
you know who's offense I just loved watching recently? The Eagles. The Eagles and Doug Pederson came up with a scheme and a series of plays that maximized Nick Foles' abilities and seemingly gave their offense a number of creative options on every play.

LOL! Nooooooo!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
xgeoff":3ffhywcu said:
MontanaHawk05":3ffhywcu said:
xgeoff":3ffhywcu said:

LOL! Nooooooo!

Yep. :)

But the difference is that they used well-blocked bubble screens. They actually have an OL, blocking TE's, and WR's who can block.

The downfield and lateral blocking is something that really took a nosedive on this team since 2014, and nobody's been talking about it.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1gmrdssu said:

That's exactly it. I hope the guy succeeds. I truly do. I WANT to eat crow on this one.

But if we're pointing out facts, it's hard to be optimistic about this guy. He literally has produced NOTHING to hang our hopes on. That's all we're saying.

xgeoff

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2fztx4te said:
xgeoff":2fztx4te said:
MontanaHawk05":2fztx4te said:
xgeoff":2fztx4te said:

LOL! Nooooooo!

But the difference is that they used well-blocked bubble screens. They actually have an OL, blocking TE's, and WR's who can block.

The downfield and lateral blocking is something that really took a nosedive on this team since 2014, and nobody's been talking about it.

Yeah, and this meshes with what I said about Bevell, which is that he was not really the problem. Do I think that Pederson would be hampered if Tom Cable was his run coordinator? Yep.

Seymour

Reaction score
xgeoff":3sqb3zd6 said:
MontanaHawk05":3sqb3zd6 said:
xgeoff":3sqb3zd6 said:
MontanaHawk05":3sqb3zd6 said:

LOL! Nooooooo!

Yeah, and this meshes with what I said about Bevell, which is that he was not really the problem. Do I think that Pederson would be hampered if Tom Cable was his run coordinator? Yep.

I don't believe he was the major problem myself, but he sure was a part of it. Teaching the WR's how to block the bubble screens properly and throwing it to the right WR at the right time is a big part of making this work. Oh....and if you threw it 3 times for -5 and you continue to "test them", you are now the idiot.

HansGruber

Reaction score
If Shotty fails, so does Pete. So I'm not that worried about it. Paul Allen is going to give Pete a chance to shake things up, and run things his way. If it succeeds, then so be it. If it fails, Allen will let Carroll go and start over. So I'm not too worried about it.

I get a pretty big kick out of some of the posters on here, though. You're ready to trash Shotty because you're angry we didn't hire DeFillipo. Thing is, DeFillipo doesn't have a resume either. He's just the flavor of the week.

Reminds me of when we hired Carroll and over half of this forum was seething with anger and calling Paul Allen a fool for not hiring John Gruden. Which is pretty amusing. I never wanted Gruden. He was never that great of a coach in the NFL. But there are a lot of people here who buy whatever they hear on the radio or TV, whatever the flavor of the week is, that's what they want.

I'm glad that Paul Allen knows better, and I'm glad that Carroll doesn't give a crap about fads. I'm confident that we will improve and if we don't, that Paul Allen will take the necessary steps to make sure we do.

It's great being a Seahawks fan.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":179idnxw said:
NFSeahawks628":179idnxw said:
Why is there 10 pages on this topic. Give the guy a chance you nutsos.
I suspect that a lot of people are feeling stupid now that it's proven that Bevell's worthless and his next job will probably be at a 7-11, so now they're trying to play Nostradamus; because God forbid we base our opinions on evidence in a new environment when we can just look at past bodies of work and selectively decide his future outcome from the comfort of our chairs.
Bingo! Nailed it! :2thumbs: