Brian Schottenheimer

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
scutterhawk":15did5db said:
Sgt. Largent":15did5db said:
Seanhawk":15did5db said:
NJlargent":15did5db said:
Maybe DeFilippo saw our OL and the regression and decided he would wait for another team. Not that I would choose the Vikings with the QB situation.

You make it sound like he spurned the Hawks. Do we even know if the Hawks were interested and even contacted him?

I doubt it, Pete likes his coordinators to be yes men, and not so much independent thinkers that don't go with his philosophies and schemes.

I have no idea if Schottenheimer will do well, or not.............but if people think they're going to see some drastic scheme change away from how Bevell called games? Nope, this is Pete's team, Brian's going to playcall how Pete wants him to, just as Bevell did.

My guess is Defilippo would have wanted more autonomy.
LOL, What an imagination.
Where do you guys come up with this "Yes Men" crap? :lol:
You do understand what the word "Coordinator" means, right?
This. I don’t think Pete is the micromanager that some think, want, or need him to be.
I think he has a general sense of what he wants in his team. Run the ball well and play great defense.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
"
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Eagles have "no immediate plans to hire an offensive coordinator."

Coach Doug Pederson has run the offense since arriving in Philadelphia, but Frank Reich had the coordinator title. With Reich gone, RBs coach Duce Staley and WRs coach Mike Groh were believed to be the favorites for a promotion, but it looks like the Eagles will leave the position open. With Reich and ex-QBs coach John DeFilippo out the door, both Staley and Groh will have much more on their plates moving forward even if they are not given an official promotion."

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/688/duce-staley

Interesting insight into the Eagles offense. Looks like Pederson really is/was the brainchild of the Eagles offense. They may not even hire an OC. Will be really interesting to see how Reich and DeFilppo do making their own way.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pederson ran the offense that had variations of the WCO, Reich came from the K Gun, two very adept offenses, will be interesting to see what he brings, I think he will be successful if he gets the pieces he needs put into place.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":md5tlux2 said:
scutterhawk":md5tlux2 said:
Sgt. Largent":md5tlux2 said:
Seanhawk":md5tlux2 said:
You make it sound like he spurned the Hawks. Do we even know if the Hawks were interested and even contacted him?

I doubt it, Pete likes his coordinators to be yes men, and not so much independent thinkers that don't go with his philosophies and schemes.

I have no idea if Schottenheimer will do well, or not.............but if people think they're going to see some drastic scheme change away from how Bevell called games? Nope, this is Pete's team, Brian's going to playcall how Pete wants him to, just as Bevell did.

My guess is Defilippo would have wanted more autonomy.
LOL, What an imagination.
Where do you guys come up with this "Yes Men" crap? :lol:
You do understand what the word "Coordinator" means, right?
This. I don’t think Pete is the micromanager that some think, want, or need him to be.
I think he has a general sense of what he wants in his team. Run the ball well and play great defense.
Exactly
IF things are running smoothly, his coordinators are most likely given free rein.
Like yourself, I too believe that he's no micromanager, though I do think that If shit starts derailing, and because he is the HEAD COACH, I do believe that he might offer up some advice to getting back on track...That's what ALL good Head Coaches are suppose to do.
What I'm hearing with this "Yes Man" garbage, is that under Pete Carroll, there will be NO independence, NO freethinkers, or individuality, which kind of sounds like that's what some are trying to sell... Sorry, but I ain't buyin'.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
scutterhawk":22c6mohh said:
Exactly
IF things are running smoothly, his coordinators are most likely given free rein.
Like yourself, I too believe that he's no micromanager, though I do think that If shit starts derailing, and because he is the HEAD COACH, I do believe that he might offer up some advice to getting back on track...That's what ALL good Head Coaches are suppose to do.
What I'm hearing with this "Yes Man" garbage, is that under Pete Carroll, there will be NO independence, NO freethinkers, or individuality, which kind of sounds like that's what some are trying to sell... Sorry, but I ain't buyin'.

You don't have to go to the extreme to make your point, there is a gray area where most things exist............and that's what I'm talking about.

Of course Pete isn't going to be some sort of playcalling overlord not allowing Brian any freedom whatsoever. But make no mistake, just as he did with Bevell, Schottenheimer will have to work the offense within the scheme and philosophy that Pete wants............and that is a ball control pound the rock and use Russell's play action.

This entire conversation started as to why we hired Schottenheimer instead of Defilippo, and I'm telling you guys why. Because Schottenheimer is more pliable and doesn't have a problem not being an autonomous playcaller, because he has to run the offense how Pete wants it run.

And that means someone like Defilippo who's ready to take the next step into a more dynamic creative scheme with more playcalling authority would not be a good fit here.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":11cpwli2 said:
scutterhawk":11cpwli2 said:
Exactly

You don't have to go to the extreme to make your point, there is a gray area where most things exist............and that's what I'm talking about.

Of course Pete isn't going to be some sort of playcalling overlord not allowing Brian any freedom whatsoever. But make no mistake, just as he did with Bevell, Schottenheimer will have to work the offense within the scheme and philosophy that Pete wants............and that is a ball control pound the rock and use Russell's play action.

This entire conversation started as to why we hired Schottenheimer instead of Defilippo, and I'm telling you guys why. Because Schottenheimer is more pliable and doesn't have a problem not being an autonomous playcaller, because he has to run the offense how Pete wants it run.

And that means someone like Defilippo who's ready to take the next step into a more dynamic creative scheme with more playcalling authority would not be a good fit here.
Look Sarge, this is no skin off my teeth, (dentures) but When I read where someone/someone's is/are LABELING one of Pete's new coach hires as a "Yes Men" ( an insult), I feel obliged to correct the misnomer/mistake, eh?
I have my doubts that DeFilippo could or would have offered up ANY kind of guarantee for success.
There are SOOOOOO many name droppers in here that can be, and OFTEN ARE mistaken.
Some people like firing out their whazooo, even when they are shooting blanks.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Keep in mind that when Pederson's got hired, you could say the same thing about him as some here are saying about DeFillipo: Andy Reid was the mastermimd behind the KC offense. Pederson runs a very similar system and he innovated on top of it and it was fantastic.

The same can be said of DeFillipo. There was an article about how he approached reworking the offense with Foles where he talked about sitting down with Nick, Doug, and Frank and he asked Nick what he was most comfortable with and they went from there. He was clearly very involved with the offense and I'm sure he learned a lot from Pederson.

chris98251

Reaction score
adeltaY":3m7rr3mm said:
Keep in mind that when Pederson's got hired, you could say the same thing about him as some here are saying about DeFillipo: Andy Reid was the mastermimd behind the KC offense. Pederson runs a very similar system and he innovated on top of it and it was fantastic.

The same can be said of DeFillipo. There was an article about how he approached reworking the offense with Foles where he talked about sitting down with Nick, Doug, and Frank and he asked Nick what he was most comfortable with and they went from there. He was clearly very involved with the offense and I'm sure he learned a lot from Pederson.

Reich is going to run a K gun, no huddle and QB calls the shots on the field. Go back and watch Jim Kelly and the Bills, it will be updated with some modification but that's what it will be, not the spring no huddle of Chip Kelly.

OP
OP
Gio

Gio

Reaction score
Props to him. Game against TB was a pleasure to watch. I think as well that this was his best game of the year , but i want to see more from him. A great game won't define him as great coach. This offense is #4 in yrd/g , #6 in pts/g and #5 in total pts (unreal) and Flash hasn't even joined our squad (let's hope he stays healthy). Though it seems like D is our problem , when last years it was O. Like i said this guy should get props , even if RW has been THE major key in the O.

OP
OP
Gio

Gio

Reaction score
indeed , and it seems he knows how to use TEs unlike Bevell. Imagine having Graham under Scotty (but i prefer Will, he's such a great TE).

OP
OP
Gio

Gio

Reaction score
I was a bit worried yesterday with his play calling. Glad Eagles were crap at the first.

rcaido

Reaction score
Those 4th down calls were really really bad...

James in PA

Reaction score
rcaido":2xh3g4cg said:
The first one would have been a touchdown had DK made his block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
As I've said before. Look around the league, and I think you will find that most offensive coordinators are hated.

Schottenheimer is a gem, but he isn't perfect. Hard to argue that he hasn't helped unlock much of the potential of the offense, though.

Nunya

Reaction score
rcaido":2yeec1d0 said:

I had not issue with the calls....or even the plays that were called. However, the play execution was horrid on both plays.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
IMHO, Horrible play calls on the 2 4th down failures and if you are that indecisive and take so long getting the play in that you have to call a timeout, just kick the damn field goal.

The OC and Pete are falling back into old bad habits and into their “default modes” which while comfortable, is not a good thing.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I’m starting to think Carroll and Schottenheimer intentionally call bad plays just to “test” the probability of their success.

I mean if we know they are bad plays, why can’t they?

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Sports Hernia":8rqox84q said:
IMHO, Horrible play calls on the 2 4th down failures and if you are that indecisive and take so long getting the play in that you have to call a timeout, just kick the damn field goal.

The OC and Pete are falling back into old bad habits and into their “default modes” which while comfortable, is not a good thing.

I just said pretty much the same in another thread.