Brit Abroad-First Time NFL Game

Firsttimehawk

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Afraid you have a Brit infiltrating the board! Have slowly become a hug fan of NFL and am super excited to be going to my first game in October for my friends Bday. We're travelling over from the UK on Thursday 13th October and are taking in the Falcons v Seahawks game. Beyond excited to be in with the 12th Man!

So the reason I'm posting? I'm after tips..what's the best way to experience pre game and post game? best bars to go to? anyone fancy taking us under their wing??

Any tips on Seattle generally would be great
Thanks

Adam

SilkMonkey

Reaction score
There's no right or wrong way to do it.

Depending on where you're staying your game-day itinerary may be a little different.

My usual routine is drive to Tukwila and light rail down to Elysian (brewery) for a beer or two and then watch the morning games at Touchdown City. If you want to tailgate, there's usually folks from here who will be down in the area to connect with. You're welcome to hang out with my friends and I pregame if you like though if you want to do the tailgate thing there's probably some better folks to hang out with. :)

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Firsttimehawk":2xnftuos said:
Hey Guys,
Afraid you have a Brit infiltrating the board! Have slowly become a hug fan of NFL and am super excited to be going to my first game in October for my friends Bday. We're travelling over from the UK on Thursday 13th October and are taking in the Falcons v Seahawks game. Beyond excited to be in with the 12th Man!

So the reason I'm posting? I'm after tips..what's the best way to experience pre game and post game? best bars to go to? anyone fancy taking us under their wing??

Thanks

Adam

Where in UK are you from bud? I'm London based but originally from Derbyshire.

There are a few of us Brits on here, we like to advise the Yanks about gun control...

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Firsttimehawk":1ocpm2rc said:
Hey Guys,
Afraid you have a Brit infiltrating the board!

I must say I have had my suspicions,

The offensive line threads have certainly been suspiciously supportive of a certain center.

Wait, only one T.

Nevermind

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
:greetingsearthling:
Welcome! What an exciting trip.

That game is at 1:25, so you don't have a lot of wandering time before hand. Where to go depends on where you're staying and how you want to get around (how much walking you're willing to do, etc.). Green words below are links, FYI.

One option is the Owl n' Thistle, an Irish-style pub with grub and brews. It's an easy walk to the stadium (less than a mile south) and shows NFL games on a big projection screen. It's busy, but not a hyperactive, sense-overload, TV-screens-everywhere type of place. It'll be packed with Seahawks fans, with great 12th Man energy. The website in that link says they open at 11 am, but on game days in the past they were open earlier. If interested, check ahead of time to be certain.

Since it's your first visit, consider getting to Century Link an hour before kickoff, more if you want to explore Touchdown City in the adjacent convention center. You can roam the venue, take pictures, locate your section, seats, toilets, and refreshments anxiety-free. Soak in the atmosphere as the stadium fills and the excitement multiplies. En route and once there feel free to shout "Go Hawks!" and high-five any festive-looking passers by. It's a fun way to get into the spirit of things.

As for extra experiences, depending on how much time you have, here's way too much information:

Pike Place Market is about 2.5 miles north of the stadium. It's one of the oldest, largest farmers markets in the nation, with all kinds of shops, food & drink. Also the fish tossing you see on every Seahawks telecast.

Our top local fast-food burger joint is Dick's. There are 5 locations. If you plan to see the Space Needle, there's a Dick's across from Seattle Center in the Queen Anne neighborhood (4 miles from the stadium). You shouldn't leave Seattle without eating some Dick's.

If you're into music, KEXP and the EMP are also located at Seattle Center. KEXP is a non-commercial radio station with eclectic, DJ-run programming, along the lines of BBC 6 music (without the news inserts). They just opened a public space this past spring you can check out. EMP is a music and sci-fi museum with rotating exhibits and outstanding visuals & photo ops.

If you want to take a stroll along the piers, the ferry terminals are 2 blocks from the Owl n' Thistle. Amongst the sites are the Seattle Great Wheel (only 175 feet compared to the London Eye's 443), Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe, and Ivar's, a local seafood institution notable for the clam chowder.

Finally, if you have lazy recreation time, the Bainbridge ferry is an underrated non-touristy thing to do as a tourist. For less than $10 you can walk on and take a round trip in the sea-salt air of Puget Sound. Each way takes about 30 minutes. There's beer and snacks on board. Sometimes you can see whales along the way. The view of Seattle on the return is awesome. On good-weather days it's a nice, low-key break from the traffic and hubbub. After the game it'll be loaded with 12s.

Best of luck!

Ambrose83

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2byktudn said:
Firsttimehawk":2byktudn said:
Hey Guys,

Thanks

Adam

There are a few of us Brits on here, we like to advise the Yanks about gun control...

Don't forget silly emotional based thoughts on hunting too!

ivotuk

Reaction score
Ambrose83":ubks8tdb said:
UK_Seahawk":ubks8tdb said:
Firsttimehawk":ubks8tdb said:
Hey Guys,

Thanks

Adam

Don't forget silly emotional based thoughts on hunting too!

Alirght guys, I'm watching ya'll so let's not get off track :twisted:

original poster

Reaction score
Where abouts are you based fella? I'm in Basingstoke, Hampshire.

Welcome!

chris98251

Reaction score
The British are coming, the British are coming!

Welcome to the Board, first time to a game and Seattle, there is so much to do and see, the list above is a great start.

OP
OP
F

Firsttimehawk

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":1ewgas9p said:
:greetingsearthling:
Welcome! What an exciting trip.

That game is at 1:25, so you don't have a lot of wandering time before hand. Where to go depends on where you're staying and how you want to get around (how much walking you're willing to do, etc.). Green words below are links, FYI.

One option is the Owl n' Thistle, an Irish-style pub with grub and brews. It's an easy walk to the stadium (less than a mile south) and shows NFL games on a big projection screen. It's busy, but not a hyperactive, sense-overload, TV-screens-everywhere type of place. It'll be packed with Seahawks fans, with great 12th Man energy. The website in that link says they open at 11 am, but on game days in the past they were open earlier. If interested, check ahead of time to be certain.

Since it's your first visit, consider getting to Century Link an hour before kickoff, more if you want to explore Touchdown City in the adjacent convention center. You can roam the venue, take pictures, locate your section, seats, toilets, and refreshments anxiety-free. Soak in the atmosphere as the stadium fills and the excitement multiplies. En route and once there feel free to shout "Go Hawks!" and high-five any festive-looking passers by. It's a fun way to get into the spirit of things.

As for extra experiences, depending on how much time you have, here's way too much information:

Pike Place Market is about 2.5 miles north of the stadium. It's one of the oldest, largest farmers markets in the nation, with all kinds of shops, food & drink. Also the fish tossing you see on every Seahawks telecast.

Our top local fast-food burger joint is Dick's. There are 5 locations. If you plan to see the Space Needle, there's a Dick's across from Seattle Center in the Queen Anne neighborhood (4 miles from the stadium). You shouldn't leave Seattle without eating some Dick's.

If you're into music, KEXP and the EMP are also located at Seattle Center. KEXP is a non-commercial radio station with eclectic, DJ-run programming, along the lines of BBC 6 music (without the news inserts). They just opened a public space this past spring you can check out. EMP is a music and sci-fi museum with rotating exhibits and outstanding visuals & photo ops.

If you want to take a stroll along the piers, the ferry terminals are 2 blocks from the Owl n' Thistle. Amongst the sites are the Seattle Great Wheel (only 175 feet compared to the London Eye's 443), Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe, and Ivar's, a local seafood institution notable for the clam chowder.

Finally, if you have lazy recreation time, the Bainbridge ferry is an underrated non-touristy thing to do as a tourist. For less than $10 you can walk on and take a round trip in the sea-salt air of Puget Sound. Each way takes about 30 minutes. There's beer and snacks on board. Sometimes you can see whales along the way. The view of Seattle on the return is awesome. On good-weather days it's a nice, low-key break from the traffic and hubbub. After the game it'll be loaded with 12s.

Best of luck!

Thanks so much- really useful overview. Will be sure to visit your recommendations.

To the UK guys I am based in kent

AlciG

Reaction score
Firsttimehawk":1q4mfwb4 said:
Hey Guys,

Thanks

Adam

I'm so jealous... Enjoy yourself and please post your experiences here. I'd love to read them.
I'm from the Netherlands myself. Sucks being a fan from abroad :(

uncle fester

Reaction score
Have a great time, but as HawkAroundTheClock says, keep one eye on the time before kickoff. One of the great things we still talk about of our trip over (2013) was savouring the atmosphere as you walk toward the stadium, (and then up the ramps if you're in the 300s). IMO, you don't want to do that bit in a hurry, as it's pretty special.

Also - ID. Keep some form of ID on you. You'll get asked regardless of age, but not all stadium beer stall staff will be familiar with, say, an EU driving license. If you're refused on that grounds, don't panic, just smile and find another beer stall. For every one we found that wouldn't serve us, (not many) the next one would.

One other thing. Some folks have ear plugs, and yes it does get loud during the game. But to get the full experience, leave those earplugs behind and stand right next to the jet engine ;) You'll survive, and your soul will thank you for it.

Seattle is an amazingly friendly place, you'll have the best time and ...dammit we need to go back.

OP
OP
F

Firsttimehawk

Reaction score
uncle fester":1s28be0g said:
Have a great time, but as HawkAroundTheClock says, keep one eye on the time before kickoff. One of the great things we still talk about of our trip over (2013) was savouring the atmosphere as you walk toward the stadium, (and then up the ramps if you're in the 300s). IMO, you don't want to do that bit in a hurry, as it's pretty special.

Also - ID. Keep some form of ID on you. You'll get asked regardless of age, but not all stadium beer stall staff will be familiar with, say, an EU driving license. If you're refused on that grounds, don't panic, just smile and find another beer stall. For every one we found that wouldn't serve us, (not many) the next one would.

One other thing. Some folks have ear plugs, and yes it does get loud during the game. But to get the full experience, leave those earplugs behind and stand right next to the jet engine ;) You'll survive, and your soul will thank you for it.

Seattle is an amazingly friendly place, you'll have the best time and ...dammit we need to go back.

No earplugs will be worn. Both fairly fit 30 somethings so we're good for walking.

We have a few days to explroe the city, hopefully do a bit of partying. I have heard Seattle is more chilled bars than clubs?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I highly recommend ear plugs. I developed tinnitus during the 2013 regular season matchup against the Niners. Granted, it was the final hit in a lifetime of unprotected/ poorly protected exposure to loud noise (equipment, chainsaws, sporting events etc), but it can happen.

There is a sticky thread in the classifieds, started by HansGruber, with some great gameday info. I'm not sure why it is there and not here, but here is the link.

Quick Guide to Attending the Game for Visitors to Seattle

ivotuk

Reaction score
arrghh...every time I read the thread title I think "What is Justin Britt doing abroad?" must....wake...up....

uncle fester

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2aquikat said:
I highly recommend ear plugs. I developed tinnitus during the 2013 regular season matchup against the Niners. Granted, it was the final hit in a lifetime of unprotected/ poorly protected exposure to loud noise (equipment, chainsaws, sporting events etc), but it can happen.

Having done a fair few years on construction sites I can totally understand why it'd be a final straw for your ears - we were there for that game and the noise *was* insane - but having been to the Jags game the week after, I don't think the Falcons game Firsttimehawk is aiming for will be as raucous. Loud, yes, but not that same all-out bedlam. There was a definite "Let's ruin Kaepernick's day" atmosphere that day, I can't see the same treatment being planned for Matt Ryan.

I have heard Seattle is more chilled bars than clubs?

From what we saw? Yes, (compared to London/big South East towns) but we were aiming for those places, rather than going clubbing. Seattle/the wider area has a really great local beer brewing scene, which we heartily embraced, so were less inclined to stay up all night... (Side note: Lost track of all the good beers. Spire cider, as I recall, was particularly good for removing the ability to speak/care about tomorrow/remember yesterday. The black version is even more lethal. Looks like Guinness, tastes like nectar, smacks you over the head half an hour later. We had a pint of it before kickoff for the Jags game, and neither of us could remember the first half later, so stuck to drinking water!!)

I'm sure there's plenty of folks here who could advise you on later-night places to be :)

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I'll be attending that same game with my buddy who is flying in from Atlanta. (Yes I'm taking a Falcons fan to a game. Don't kill me.) I haven't been to a game since 2013.

To add into HawkAroundTheClock's recommendations, I suggest if you want an awesome view of the city, check out the Columbia Tower (the tallest building.) They have an observation deck on the top for about $13 iirc, a fraction the price of the space needle. Before the tragic accident that happened last year, I would've recommended the Ride the Ducks tour. I'd still recommend it, lots of fun.

They also provide stadium tours. I'll be taking my Falcons bud on the tour the Saturday before the game. Very affordable, about $8 per adult, the tickets are at the stadiums pro shop. See ya there mate!

kev007

Reaction score
Hi fellow 12's!

Another Brit here, been a fan since the mid 80s. Not yet been to a game but would love to go one day, maybe next year...! Seattle looks such a cool place to visit. Thanks for all the info already posted, to all Brits going to a game this year, have an awesome time :D

Kev

Latest posts