Britt to center?

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Cleveland will pick him up and pay him 8 mill a year, seems to be the trend with our cast off linemen.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Jville":1r1bk57d said:
I don't know where Joey Hunt ranks athletically. I have not see anything posted along those lines. He is undersized so his NFL level durability figures to be tested.

I am not sure what to make of the perception that Drew Nowak was more athletic than Patrick Lewis. I thought they were similar athletically. I did think Nowak was longer and better at getting to the second level .... so maybe that had something to do with it.

I liked Patrick Lewis two years ago when he made his first appearances. I thought he brought a different, though more limited, look to the center position. However, he looked slower and heavy footed going into his second season in Seattle. Patrick is someone whose conditioning and movement needs to be at its best for 2016. And althought his range is limited and durability is questionable, they need him to compete regardless of his fate.

Hold over center project Will Pericak is the biggest unknown factor. Although, it's is my understanding that his athleticism is better than both Lewis and Novak.

There is also the often discussed Kristjan Sokoli project. The state of his development is a mystery for most of us.

And now added to the list is .net's designated 2016 punching bag ..... Justin Britt

All in all ... the competition at center appears to be wide open! That's never a bad thing. :th2thumbs:
I agree that the competition is a good thing, but only if it nets us a legitimate Center.
There have been undersize Centers that have gone on to become quite adequate, but they had the intelligence to make up for being less than the preferred size.
I think Tobeck was slightly undersize, but made great line calls, and it certainly didn't hurt having Hutch & Gray to either side....Holmgren was O-Line smart.

chris98251

Reaction score
Lewis has been the best we have had, things run more smoothly with him in there. Saying that it seems that Cable has a axe to grind with him, be it athletic or personality, the guy is on the bubble all the time and seems that the are willing to take chances to get him out of there. He is the smartest guy we have playing it to date after Unger, I hope they settle on someone, I know the consistency and call made there are the glue that keeps the offense clicking and are the safety net for Wilson.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I agree that this is probably more about his backup ability than him pushing for the starting gig. We want one of our two active backups to have center experience and so this probably pushes Sokoli the most.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Jville":kiwmivtx said:
I don't know where Joey Hunt ranks athletically. I have not see anything posted along those lines. He is undersized so his NFL level durability figures to be tested.

I am not sure what to make of the perception that Drew Nowak was more athletic than Patrick Lewis. I thought they were similar athletically. I did think Nowak was longer and better at getting to the second level .... so maybe that had something to do with it.

I liked Patrick Lewis two years ago when he made his first appearances. I thought he brought a different, though more limited, look to the center position. However, he looked slower and heavy footed going into his second season in Seattle. Patrick is someone whose conditioning and movement needs to be at its best for 2016. And althought his range is limited and durability is questionable, they need him to compete regardless of his fate.

Hold over center project Will Pericak is the biggest unknown factor. Although, it's is my understanding that his athleticism is better than both Lewis and Novak.

There is also the often discussed Kristjan Sokoli project. The state of his development is a mystery for most of us.

And now added to the list is .net's designated 2016 punching bag ..... Justin Britt

All in all ... the competition at center appears to be wide open! That's never a bad thing. :th2thumbs:

Id think Hunt would be more like the Russell Wilson of Center. For some reason the short and stout have the better injury luck.

My own thoughts on Britt, is thier 5 reasons this could work.

Reasoning:

1. Maybe its not Britt in the doghouse but Patrick Lewis once again. Or Both.

2. I feel like the team thinks Glowinski is the best OG on the team, but they are also adamant about starting Ifedi with Odhiambo, and probably Sokoli at that spot too.

3. And why not see what Britt has to offer at OC, its pretty much drafting Connor McGovern or Joe Dahl, except Britt has 36 starts of NFL experience out of 37 possible games, knows the system, playbook, QB, players as well as Cable.

Fits:

1. Not too long ago in 2009, the Seahawks drafted a 2nd round collegiate LT and immediately moved him RG with mixed results. In 2010, Carroll moved this player to OC but that player suffered a season ending injury. One could say that thus player wasnt valuable his first two years. In 2011, took a hold of this player and by 2012 this player was considered one of the best at his position. Obviously this player is Max Unger. Im just saying Unger took the long road as well before finding his way. Britt could be a similar player, he has experience at LT, LG, RG, RT. Hes played them the throughout his collegiate and Pro career. Thats experience that could be taught in a classroom but having a center that has lived it and understands all positions imo has much better chance of being a quality conductor

2. Britt has consistently excelled at only two things, 1. Combo Blocks, 2. Being a Hunter in the 2nd Level. Both are two things that are important traits in the ZBS especially at OC and Britt does them well. If Britts positives in Run Blocking is severely outweighed by his negatives in Pass-Protection then moving to OC will consistently help his flaws.

Im not rooting for Britt by any means but if OC can be his best position im rooting for that. Seahawks seem to be done with long-term projects at O-Line in Wilsons Franchise era they still have 3 in Sokoli, Perciak, and Schwenke. But they now seemed to be investing in short-term projects that have actual O-Line acumen.

If thats the plan to stabilize the O-line long term , im all for it.

We'll see how it shakes out.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing he may lose his roster spot. Starting spot, absolutely. Seems strange that they would send him all the way off the team rather than make him a backup.

They've never straight up benched him that i can remember. I know Novak pretty much went from starter to off the team, but he doesn't have any draft capital invested in him.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":323kg4gk said:
Jville":323kg4gk said:

Id think Hunt would be more like the Russell Wilson of Center. For some reason the short and stout have the better injury luck.

Reasoning:

2. I feel like the team thinks Glowinski is the best OG on the team, but they are also adamant about starting Ifedi with Odhiambo, and probably Sokoli at that spot too.

3. And why not see what Britt has to offer at OC, its pretty much drafting Connor McGovern or Joe Dahl, except Britt has 36 starts of NFL experience out of 37 possible games, knows the system, playbook, QB, players as well as Cable.

Fits:

1. Not too long ago in 2009, the Seahawks drafted a 2nd round collegiate LT and immediately moved him RG with mixed results. In 2010, Carroll moved this player to OC but that player suffered a season ending injury. One could say that thus player wasnt valuable his first two years. In 2011, took a hold of this player and by 2012 this player was considered one of the best at his position. Obviously this player is Max Unger. Im just saying Unger took the long road as well before finding his way. Britt could be a similar player, he has experience at LT, LG, RG, RT. Hes played them the throughout his collegiate and Pro career. Thats experience that could be taught in a classroom but having a center that has lived it and understands all positions imo has much better chance of being a quality conductor

2. Britt has consistently excelled at only two things, 1. Combo Blocks, 2. Being a Hunter in the 2nd Level. Both are two things that are important traits in the ZBS especially at OC and Britt does them well. If Britts positives in Run Blocking is severely outweighed by his negatives in Pass-Protection then moving to OC will consistently help his flaws.

Im not rooting for Britt by any means but if OC can be his best position im rooting for that. Seahawks seem to be done with long-term projects at O-Line in Wilsons Franchise era they still have 3 in Sokoli, Perciak, and Schwenke. But they now seemed to be investing in short-term projects that have actual O-Line acumen.

Great post but I don't believe the comparison of the situation between Unger and Britt fits here. Yes, Unger played multiple positions on the OL at Oregon but Max Unger ended up as a center at Oregon. Actually he was rated an elite center along with Alex Mack in the 2009 draft. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/520658.

It was Jim Mora who drafted him and I thought it was also Mora who shifted him to guard. Center seemed to be Unger's natural position from the get go. http://old.seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2010527177_hawk17.html.
Not sure if Britt ever played center in college.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
hawkfan68":ccehnj96 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":ccehnj96 said:
Jville":ccehnj96 said:

Reasoning:

Fits:

Great post but I don't believe the comparison of the situation between Unger and Britt fits here. Max Unger was a center at Oregon. Actually he was rated an elite center along with Alex Mack in the 2009 draft. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/520658. It was Jim Mora who drafted him and I thought it was also Mora who shifted him to guard. Center seemed to be Unger's natural position from the get go. Not sure if Britt ever played center in college.

No matter how many times people point this fact out -- that Unger was a DOMINANT center in college -- in just never seems to stick in people's minds.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Expanding on that, IIRC there was a report a few years back about Cable really liking Unger in college and wanting him as Oakland's center. Then the Seahawks drafted him in the second and put him at RG, but as soon as Cable came over his first step was moving Unger back to center. That's really the first Cable influence and it's worth remembering how successful it was since people love to focus on the stuff that hasn't worked recently.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Britt has never played center before. This is going to be another huge challenge for him in changing positions for the 3rd time in three years: first moving from LT in college to starting 18 games at RT in the NFL, then moving from RT to starting 18 games at LG even though he had never played in the interior before, and now moving from LG to center even though he has never snapped the ball.

To add to the challenge, he is competing against two seasoned centers who have played center for the bulk of their football careers. Britt does not mirror well in pass pro and he does not target well at the 2nd level.

I only see two ways to look at this decision: they are moving Britt in order to open up more playing time for Glowinski and Odhiambo at LG and/or they are further expanding Britt's versatility at the expense of continuity by not allowing him to learn at one position.

I would have to downgrade Britt's chances of making the roster to 50/50. It's still possible that he earns a spot as an experienced and versatile backup, i.e. Bailey, but I don't believe they view him as a realistic candidate to become a starter at any single position.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Mojambo":37s7q0uu said:
hawknation2016":37s7q0uu said:
Britt has never played center before.

Is this true? I have read otherwise.

If he has played center before, it was only in practice.

In HS, Britt was a LT. He redshirted at Missouri in 2009 and played as a reserve in 2010, alternating between LT, LG, and RG. He then started for the next three seasons (2011-13) at LT. In 2014, he started 18 games at RT for the Seahawks. And in 2015, he started 18 games at LG. He has never started a game as a center in college or the NFL.

Cable said, "The issue for him will be getting him comfortable and confident snapping.” When and where do you think he has played center before?

Edit- It appears Britt was "tried out briefly at center" as a freshman reserve in 2010 at Missouri, before being moved to LT full-time.
http://www.lebanondailyrecord.com/sport ... f6878.html

Hawks46

Reaction score
RichNhansom":g87zugtg said:
I can't shake the feeling this guy is going to become a good lineman. Definitely makes sense as an all around backup if he can learn the center position. He would have extensive training at tackle and guard and be able to use that experience to learn the center position.

I get the feeling Lewis and Nowak both struggled with either attitude or personality problems that make them a potential liability. Britt while struggling to take advantage of the opportunities he has had, does seem to have the favor of the coaches and they genuinely seem to want him to succeed.

I'm still pulling for the guy and will until I have a good reason not to. Would hate to see him cut and then catch on another team just as he gets it figured out.

Yea I actually have that same feeling.

He was viewed as raw coming into the league coming from a spread offense.

He got 1 year at Tackle, then got moved inside to Guard. He gets one year at Guard, then gets moved to Center. That's really not enough time to develop.

Jville

Reaction score
Tom Cable framed the announcement today as follows .......

“The thing I love about it is we’re going to be spaced right in our level of maturity in the system and our background of it,” Cable said, “and then we plug in some young guys with it. It should be fantastic.” ..........................

............................ Cable said it was Britt’s experience with the Seahawks that led the move.

“I think that’s what enables us to do it, the fact that he is well-versed in our system two years now,” Cable said. “He’s played tackle, he’s played guard, kinda understands it. The issue for him will be getting him comfortable and confident snapping.” link >>> [urltargetblank]http://sports.mynorthwest.com/124408/seahawks-shifting-justin-britt-to-center-from-right-guard/[/urltargetblank]

Furthermore ..... candidate right tackle Webb played every snap last year. And ...... candidate left tackle Gilliam played all but 21 snaps last year. And candidate center Britt played all but one snap last year. That features some nice experience and durability for young guards trying to establish themselves in the NFL.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Jville":2tbjdjbx said:

“The thing I love about it is we’re going to be spaced right in our level of maturity in the system and our background of it,” Cable said, “and then we plug in some young guys with it. It should be fantastic.” ..........................

............................ Cable said it was Britt’s experience with the Seahawks that led the move.

“I think that’s what enables us to do it, the fact that he is well-versed in our system two years now,” Cable said. “He’s played tackle, he’s played guard, kinda understands it. The issue for him will be getting him comfortable and confident snapping.” link >>> [urltargetblank]http://sports.mynorthwest.com/124408/seahawks-shifting-justin-britt-to-center-from-right-guard/[/urltargetblank]

Furthermore ..... candidate right tackle Webb played every snap last year. And ...... candidate left tackle Gilliam played all but 21 snaps last year. And candidate center Britt played all but one snap last year. That features some nice experience and durability for young guards trying to establish themselves in the NFL.

The difference, of course, is that Gilliam and Webb are being slotted in with the first team as tackles. Britt is way behind Lewis in showing a command of the center position. And until he proves he can snap the ball and pass protect, he will probably be behind Hunt, as well.

chris98251

Reaction score
The biggest knock on Lewis is his leadership ability, he is a very reserved guy from what I have read and the staff wants him to come out of his shell as a leader, I know there was an article on this last year and he was working on it, but it is hard to change a guys personality if he is a introvert normally.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
This basically just confirms Glowinksi has beat out Britt as the presumptive staring LG.

He will not start at Center. If he does, then we really learned absolutely nothing last year.

Jville

Reaction score
hawknation2016":1n6tf22n said:
Jville":1n6tf22n said:

The difference, of course, is that Gilliam and Webb are being slotted in with the first team as tackles. Britt is way behind Lewis in showing a command of the center position. And until he proves he can snap the ball and pass protect, he will probably be behind Hunt, as well.

Cable was clear about how he sees the challenge Britt is facing. I was only pointing out the snap counts as an attempt at enhancing the remarks of Cable.

This is very early in the process of putting together a 2016 roster. Nothing is set in stone. This is just day two of a very fluid competition.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Jville":2h0jpieo said:
hawknation2016":2h0jpieo said:
Jville":2h0jpieo said:

Cable was clear about how he sees the challenge Britt is facing. I was only pointing out the snap counts as an attempt at enhancing the remarks of Cable.

This is very early in the process of putting together a 2016 roster. Nothing is set in stone. This is just day two of a very fluid competition.

You should include Lewis in there, too, as someone who has shown maturity in the system with 15 games as a starter at center over the last two seasons. He is not a high-level talent, but he has demonstrated confidence in snapping the ball.

In addition, I think his close relationship with their First Round pick should help both players become better.

Willyeye

Reaction score
After Britt screws up our season at Center this year, they're going to give him one last chance next year. They're going to switch him to TE and get rid of Vannett. Then they can pretend he wasn't a bust and pray that some poor schmuck team is dumb enough to give him a second contract...they'll run an ad: "Please sign this guy- Britt can play Tackle, Guard, Center and Tight End...1 year experience at each position".