Bronco game plan: Stack the box, stop the run, and dare Geno to carry the offense

toffee

Reaction score
Broncos will have 8 in the box to stop our running game, our OL is new with two rookie tackles and a new center, our RB1 Penny was stopped by Rams in game 15 last season when he was 11 attempts for 39 yards. The Broncos will definitely game plan to stop Penny and dare Geno to carry the team.

What would young Waldron do? He doesn't have KW3, and Geno's big game poise is suspected.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DK has to have a big game tonight if our offense has any chance of scoring more than 10 points.

For as much as I think Geno's a mediocre backup, the one thing he's good at that Russ had a hard time doing is hitting DK quickly on slants, outs and hooks. Has to be a LOT of that to get Denver's D to respect the pass to help open up the run game to keep this game close with some TOP and 3rd down conversions.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
DK has to have a big game tonight if our offense has any chance of scoring more than 10 points.

For as much as I think Geno's a mediocre backup, the one thing he's good at that Russ had a hard time doing is hitting DK quickly on slants, outs and hooks. Has to be a LOT of that to get Denver's D to respect the pass to help open up the run game to keep this game close with some TOP and 3rd down conversions.
Well said, they probably double on DK too. The lacking of a legit WR3 is going to hurt us.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Well said, they probably double on DK too. The lacking of a legit WR3 is going to hurt us.

Surprisingly Eskridge is a full go, and Goodwin is a solid vet.

Both can be helpful in stretching out Denver's D if they decide to zone double DK and Tyler.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Surprisingly Eskridge is a full go, and Goodwin is a solid vet.

Both can be helpful in stretching out Denver's D if they decide to zone double DK and Tyler.
sounded like Geno's ability to get the ball to Eskridge or Goodwin may be crucial? It seems like unless Geno could earn some respect from the defense, Penny won't get much, and we have no chance.

kidhawk

Reaction score
DK is basically the perfect specimen of a wide receiver, and I'm sure that they realize how dangerous he can be, but Locket is our true offensive weapon that I don't think the Broncos can stop through the air. My real concern here is that Geno hasn't had as much time with these two guys as he could have had as they really didn't get a lot of game minutes in the preseason.

Luckily, I don't think the Broncos defense is stout enough to stop our run game all night long.

My main concerns for tonight are:

1) timing with receivers. It doesn't take being off timing by much to turn a positive play into an INT

2) Communication on the defensive side of the ball. Lots of new guys who aren't really used to playing together yet, so communication may be an issue, especially if our crowd is as loud as it should be with Wilson on the field.

3) Our kicking game. Not so much because of the kickers, but because of the LS situation. Ott has been our guy for awhile now and suddenly they have to bring in someone new. An errant snap can make for poor punts and Field Goals.

With all that said, we are currently undefeated and I'm rooting hard to stay that way.

Go Hawks

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sounded like Geno's ability to get the ball to Eskridge or Goodwin may be crucial? It seems like unless Geno could earn some respect from the defense, Penny won't get much, and we have no chance.

That's going to be the story the entire year.

No team is going to respect Geno's dink and dunk safe style of QB play, so it's up to Waldron and Pete to come up with wrinkles and schemes that stretch the defense enough to have a successful run game.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
That's going to be the story the entire year.

No team is going to respect Geno's dink and dunk safe style of QB play, so it's up to Waldron and Pete to come up with wrinkles and schemes that stretch the defense enough to have a successful run game.
Dink and dunk is ok if they do not it consistently, of course occasional bombs are still needed to keep defense honest. So far, Penny despite his size over 233 lbs, he hasn't shown much in running up the guts breaking tackles. Penny and Carson was the perfect combo.

chris98251

Reaction score
Dink and dunk is ok if they do not it consistently, of course occasional bombs are still needed to keep defense honest. So far, Penny despite his size over 233 lbs, he hasn't shown much in running up the guts breaking tackles. Penny and Carson was the perfect combo.
Dink and dunk is frustrating for defenses, many of the Super Bowl HOF QB had dink and dunk types of games, Stabler and Montana, YAC is the key in those offesnes.