Broncos and John Fox "Part Ways"

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Looks like a complete overhaul, at least according to this tweet. The entire staff has permission to seek employment elsewhere

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/status/554773909883469824[/tweet]

kearly

Reaction score
You would never fire a coach who just got his team to a SB, but IMO Fox's spectacularly poor preparation for XLVIII was a fireable offense. I think that performance put him on thin ice.

I think John Fox is basically the same coach as Mike Smith. Watch him talk to his players and you can easily tell that he's not a leader of men. I don't think Falcon's players respected Mike Smith and I don't think Fox's players really respect him either. I'm sure they are okay with him, but he's not the kind of coach that players would bleed for.

Smith and Fox are both coaches with defensive backgrounds who posted winning records despite mediocre game preparation thanks to having a franchise QB. At least Fox can point to some good defenses over his tenure, but he's mostly felt like a figurehead, not a difference maker.

As far as letting the whole staff go, that's probably evidence of John Elway being hormonal and desperate. However, it is possible that Elway is angling for a major coaching hire. Maybe he'll make a push for Urban Meyer. Mike Shanahan would be an intriguing possibility, He was Elway's coach when he won the SB and Elway was not the GM when Shanahan was fired.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
That's pretty bush league of Elway. Why shoot down Gase and Del Rio's prospects? Let them interview around and replace 'em once the new HC is hired.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Amazing they're tearing it down around their ears. Broncos and Seahawks have had almost identical trajectories the last two years, except for that one game. Does anyone here think for a second we'd be firing Pete and all the assistant coaches if the situations were reversed? Not a chance.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":3pxg80uh said:
Good news is Demaryius Thomas probably won't be resigned.

If we have anything left over for free agency, lets make a run at him.

Speaking of which....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DemaryiusT/status/554775393392402432[/tweet]

hieroglyphics":3pxg80uh said:
Entire Broncos staff reportedly let go.

Elway is just absolutely burning it down

https://twitter.com/VicLombardi/status/554772586442133504

I am hearing they weren't fired, just told they were free to find other employment. They remain under contract, which allows the new coach to make decisions, but it's likely that the new coach will want his own staff, so by letting them look now, it gives them the opportunity to apply for positions and not rely on the new coach to keep them around.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
So does this mean next seasons NE playoff loss will see the departure of Belichick?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
kidhawk":2m4u9tc4 said:
hieroglyphics":2m4u9tc4 said:
I really hope though Manning doesn't go shopping for a new team.

St Louis is a QB away from being damn good, I hope he's steering clear of the NFC West.

He retires or stays in Denver. I don't see the Broncos letting him go.

He's due $19 million in 2015 & 2016 and according to spotrac his 2015 salary became guaranteed by being on the roster at the end of this season. The same clause goes for next year, so it's expensive for the Broncos to release him during the off season.
Only $5 million in dead cap space if he's cut though

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3sffuayt said:
kidhawk":3sffuayt said:
hieroglyphics":3sffuayt said:

St Louis is a QB away from being damn good, I hope he's steering clear of the NFC West.

He retires or stays in Denver. I don't see the Broncos letting him go.

He's due $19 million in 2015 & 2016 and according to spotrac his 2015 salary became guaranteed by being on the roster at the end of this season. The same clause goes for next year, so it's expensive for the Broncos to release him during the off season.
Only $5 million in dead cap space if he's cut though

That number is the amount of his pro-rated bonus that is still on the books. His 2015 salary just became guaranteed. They are now on the hook for $19,000,000.00 + $5,000,000.00 in dead money. If they release him, they take a $24,000,000.00 cap hit and still have to pay him. Manning has to retire or restructure to make it viable to release him.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":xsl6gpod said:
FearTheBeak":xsl6gpod said:
Donkey fans are hot 'n heavy for Quinn according to their message boards.

Fans hot 'n heavy to hire the guy behind the defense that beat their asses? Yep, I could see that.

Looks like it's not JUST the fans

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/554785044053909504[/tweet]

chris98251

Reaction score
Pey Pey want's to play play with new toys, told you Elway would back him before his staff, seeking employment elsewhere is like getting that message in your email about a organzation announcement, leaving to spend more time with the family.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":4a60vq2v said:

Manning going to the Rams would be almost the dumbest moves that Dis-Organization could make.
He has NO mobility, and that's his undoing, and would be the undoing for the Rams.
Pey-Pey needs to consider retirement, and then take over for Fox as Head Coach.