Bronco's board Luck vs. Wilson debate

Phteven

Reaction score
Anthony!":37im3i6e said:
Phteven":37im3i6e said:
Just heard on the Colts v Broncos game that "no qb has ever been better in their first 2 years than andrew luck." What???

Yeah they forgot the stats and facts in that one obviously/
Exactly. He's a fine, young QB. But that's just crazy talk.

Anthony!

Reaction score
well it took less than 1 qtr for luck to throw his first Int, interesting you7 also are avg 4 ypc by your RB and yet a int and it was a bad pass.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
Luck has never finished a season in the top half of the league in passer rating. It is laughable for someone in this debate to claim that Seattle fans are ignoring Wilson's short comings (pun not intended). Everyone outside of Seattle goes along with the Luck is elite argument because they believe to go against that common narrative is to make oneself look like a fool. It is the same dynamic in the Emperor's New Clothes fable.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
Phteven":32u9prn3 said:
Just heard on the Colts v Broncos game that "no qb has ever been better in their first 2 years than andrew luck." What???

They were referring to total passing yards. The only stat a Luck fan has to hold on to.

Anthony!

Reaction score
pocketprotector":27zk7xbz said:
Phteven":27zk7xbz said:

They were referring to total passing yards. The only stat a Luck fan has to hold on to.

Yeah well once again Luck has put his team behind the 8 ball with a stupid int.

NINEster

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1nyo9icc said:
just .. never
Wilson in 6 games only had 3 ints. One of which was the BS call against the Cards where the ball "bounced" off Baldwins arm. The second one was @SF at the very end of the game when he was just launching it downfield hoping for something. Just like the Atlanta playoff game he didnt throw the interception until the defense let them score with barely any time left and he just chucked it up hoping for PI or a long catch. The third was where Tate actually fell down on a 3rd and long...yes he literally fell down against SF at Seattle. So really Wilson had ZERO ints against the NFC west unless you count any of those his fault

I'm struggling with the embedding but to the poster who said Wilson only threw 3 INTS against the NFC West last year:

Didnt he throw a pick to Eric Reid in week 2 last year?

Look, stats count in blowouts too. :mrgreen:

BlueTalons

Reaction score
pocketprotector":233xri52 said:
Phteven":233xri52 said:

Yeah...because his teams are always trying to play catch-up...

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
NINEster":3t6fa2rz said:
WilsonMVP":3t6fa2rz said:
just .. never
Wilson in 6 games only had 3 ints. One of which was the BS call against the Cards where the ball "bounced" off Baldwins arm. The second one was @SF at the very end of the game when he was just launching it downfield hoping for something. Just like the Atlanta playoff game he didnt throw the interception until the defense let them score with barely any time left and he just chucked it up hoping for PI or a long catch. The third was where Tate actually fell down on a 3rd and long...yes he literally fell down against SF at Seattle. So really Wilson had ZERO ints against the NFC west unless you count any of those his fault

I'm struggling with the embedding but to the poster who said Wilson only threw 3 INTS against the NFC West last year:

Didnt he throw a pick to Eric Reid in week 2 last year?

Look, stats count in blowouts too. :mrgreen:

He did mention it, it was when Tate fell down

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
I totally forgot this graphic from their rookie years...Lmao..cracks me up...

7KybN

HansGruber

Reaction score
I honestly don't care what other fans think about Wilson. At all. They don't even watch the Seahawks to know what the hell they're talking about, so who cares. Even if they said he was the greatest thing since sliced bread, I wouldn't care because they don't watch him play enough to have an informed opinion.

The best proof of this is all the ignorant excuses - like anyone could win with Seattle's defense and RB. Well, guess what? Anyone couldn't. We went through a number of QBs, and the best we had was Tarvaris Jackson leading us to a 7-9 record and missing the playoffs. The next year we went 11-5 with Wilson as a rookie, and won the Superbowl the following season. Whenever I hear that, I just know the person I'm talking to is just making up excuses because they don't want to admit how great Wilson is.

Every other team's fans are going to make excuses about how he isn't the best, because it sucks to see the new generation of talent and realize your team doesn't have one of those guys. The 49ers are a perfect example. Last year, 49er fans would talk endlessly about how Kaepernick was a better qb than Wilson. Now, they don't make that argument because they realize it's totally ridiculous, but you'll never hear them admit that Wilson is as good as he really is.

The best thing about Wilson is that his talent isn't easily described. He can literally do it all, without making mistakes, and is NEVER out of the game. Even in his few losses, Seattle was either in position to score and take the lead, or they had already done so and the defense blew it.

I've seen a lot of quarterbacks play, and very few are on that same level with Russell Wilson when it comes to just straight-up winning. Tom Brady and Joe Montana both have that special ability, the way they'd lead their teams and just will those wins, just carve up defenses efficiently without the huge numbers, and just keep on putting up wins.

In 10 years, people will still be debating Luck vs Wilson the way they debate Brady vs Manning. And like those two, one of them will have a handful of Superbowl rings while the other guy has a bunch of yardage records and is beloved by fantasy geeks.

El Caliente

Reaction score
As a Saints fan I would take RW over Luck. Call it being swayed towards shorter qb's, but RW has that je ne sais quoi that we Saints fans have seen from Brees for nearly a decade.

My question is, how will the 'Hawks afford RW when his contract comes up. He deserved to be paid top 5 qb money. If Flacco, Dalton, and CK are making big time change, you have to pay RW more. So how do you keep him, and that defense?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1rvmk414 said:
AbsolutNET":1rvmk414 said:
Russ could win 5 super bowls, but as long as he has guys like Lynch, Sherman and Kam on his team he will never be considered the QB he is because he didn't do it single handed. It's a strange phenomenon with many fans, that a QB has to throw for 350 yards a game to be considered elite, even if he doesn't win games.
THIS is what fantasy football has done to the reality of football.

Completely off topic but what do you look like in REAL LIFE.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
El Caliente":1km00nku said:
As a Saints fan I would take RW over Luck. Call it being swayed towards shorter qb's, but RW has that je ne sais quoi that we Saints fans have seen from Brees for nearly a decade.

My question is, how will the 'Hawks afford RW when his contract comes up. He deserved to be paid top 5 qb money. If Flacco, Dalton, and CK are making big time change, you have to pay RW more. So how do you keep him, and that defense?

The FO has been budgeting the cap with paying Russell in mind, that's why players like Tate, Clemons, Big Red, Thurmond, etc were let go.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
El Caliente":y61qh22z said:

How do the Saints pay Brees and keep their defense?

The best teams find a way.

kpak76

Reaction score
Ramfan128":20d5ttk3 said:
I probably can't justify it.

It's all speculation, either way. Just opinions.

In my mind, some of what has been posted is why I rank Wilson below several QBs in the NFL. The easiest way for me to say it is, if I was starting a franchise and could pick any QB in the NFL, Wilson would be below several QBs. It's all a matter of opinion.

I'd wager that Seahawk fans are pretty much the only people that would actually call him elite right now.

The rest of the team being arguably the most dominant and most talented that the NFL has seen in years, with arguably the best defense of all time, certainly hurts him.

You have to use your imagination, but just think about it. Something unique I've noticed about the Seahawks that's different from most good teams is that when they get up, the defense still doesn't let down. If Rodgers/Brady/Manning/Brees were orchestrating the offense, and they had a D like Seattle, I think they would win games 50-0 all the time. Now, Seattle has won games like that with Wilson over the past two years - I just think it would happen more often.

Also, as a Rams fan and playing Seattle twice a year, I am just flat out not afraid of Wilson. And before I get flamed let me say, I know Bradford was worse than Wilson, and that I go into the games knowing that our offense wont score and that we will probably lose............but I'm just not afraid of Wilson.

I guess it's just a gut feeling. He's had some good performances against us (300 yds and 2 TDs 2nd game his rookie year). But it's just not the same. I don't know how to explain it. When you don't have an elite defense (which the Rams haven't had in my generation, although hopefully we're getting close), you expect to lose when playing an elite QB. I never expect to lose to Seattle. I think we probably will - because of the defense. But it's completely different than if Green Bay was coming to town, because I know we wouldn't be able to stop them. All about match ups I guess.

First boled point. You're flat out wrong, tell that to Chris Collinsworth who was basically jizzing Wilson during the game. Tell that to John Clayton who moves him up towards the elite class every day. Tell that to some of the many NFLN and ESPN analysts are are on the Wilson bandwagon. Tell that to the rest of the NFL who named him the 5th best QB last year in their countdown. He is elite and if you don't think so its because your head is stuck under the sand.

About the second bolded point, I sure hope the Rams think like this also. It will be fun watching Wilsin abuse the shiet out of the Lambs because they thought Wilson won't win the Hawks games. For someone who has watched Wilson at least 4 times, you should be ashamed of your football acume.

El Caliente

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":15rfb8hc said:
El Caliente":15rfb8hc said:

How do the Saints pay Brees and keep their defense?

The best teams find a way.

We have an accountant for a gm. Beancounters find a way.

But we had to let guys walk in order for Brees to get paid, and others took discounts.

I am sure you guys will find a way, its just going to be interesting to see what big time player you guys let go to make it happen. For us it was Carl Nicks.

kpak76

Reaction score
rideaducati":1o57dovz said:
How is it possible for Russell to have better talent around him than Luck? The Seahawks have had the worst drafts in the league every year. It's sad that the same idiots argue both of these things. There is absolutely nothing that will change their minds until Russell retires.

I remember feeling the same way about Troy Aikman that opposing fans feel now about Russell. When all is said and done, I have a feeling that Russell will leave no doubt.

Did having Irvin, Emmitt, and the best defense in the league hurt Aikman's HOF bid? So he's not mentioned in the same way as Marino, but whose career would each of them rather have?

This Luck vs Wilson debate will be like Aikman vs Marino. Sure, Marino (Luck) had more yards, but Aikman (Wilson) won championships.

I say we let the Luck worshippers win fantasy leagues while Russell wins everywhere else.

The only people who believe we've had horrible drafts are draft idiots like Kiper who are but hurt that we messed up their precious mock drafts. Anyone who watches football knows we are the best drafting team out there.

kpak76

Reaction score
Jacknut16":251q1xbz said:
Wilson is better prepared and has a better supporting cast. Hence he is going to have an easier time of it for now anyway.
I think Luck has the higher upside, but if Wilson brings home another ring in the next 5 years I would take that in this championship starved city all day long.

I think that Wilson will be among the league best QBs as long as he has the quickness in his legs, which should be for the next 6-8 years.

Andrew Luck has a chance, if Indy does it right to be one of the greatest ever. There is a long way to go before you can have that conversation however.

LOL the hate with Wilson will never end with you will it? Even after we won the SB you say stuff like this LOL.

If a "Hawk fan" doesnt put him at elite then no one should.

MileHighFish

Reaction score
As a Broncos fan I would have said Luck last season. After seeing Wilson vs. Packers the other night, hands down Wilson. To me, it appears that he has improved A LOT over the off season. To me RW wasn't making good reads a critical times in 2013. Based off of one game thus far, it appears he has addressed his weak areas well. IMO Wilson's biggest asset is his head. He is a very intelligent player and has yet to come close to his ceiling in regards to his potential IMO.

Looking forward to the matchup in two weeks. It should really show how/if Denver has improved versus last season. Win or lose, the game will undoubtedly expose the deficiencies of each team. Only wish they were playing closer to mid-season so both teams would have a chance to get the rust off. Cheers!