Broncos very near deal for Colin Kaepernick

Marvin49

Reaction score
Honestly, I think Kaps "game on the line" performance is WAY overstated.

The guy was a part of a huge comeback IN Atlanta in the NFCCG the same year Seattle LOST to Atlanta, he very nearly pulled off the biggest comeback in SB history in his 10th career start and also recorded his first career 300 yard game, He threw a pick 6 to start the game vs GB and then proceeded to run and pass for over 440 combined yards and 4 TDs, he wnt into Green Bay in the feezing cold and delivered on a game winning FG drive, he went into Carolina and won a close game, and he is still 4-2 in the postseason and 3-1 on the road. Thats more wins on the road than Montana and Young. Combined.

This isn't to say "yay, hes and elite QB". Its to say his issue is not that he crumbles in big games. Lately, he's regressed for a number of reasons and he's crumbled PERIOD. In MOST games. I think his confidense is shot and the 49ers coaches have alot to do with that and he has no small part to play as well.

He was also playing hurt last year. Shoulder/Knee/thunmb on throwing hand...and under insane pressure.

He has also notoriously SUCKED against Seattle. In a really big way.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":27jbdpq6 said:
Wow. The Niner revisionist history in here is staggering.

I suppose you all think the South won the Civil War, too?

Really...what exactly did I get wrong?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":hjjw1noy said:
Maulbert":hjjw1noy said:

I don't think that was solely aimed at you but also aimed at Ninester and Popeye as well. But that's just a guess on my part.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":1ejoa9uy said:
Maulbert":1ejoa9uy said:

You became a Whiner fan.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
IMO Kaep was a great running QB, never anything more. Teams figured out how to contain him which us why I used the word "was". IMO, if Elway was smart he would look at someone else as a starting QB because like ducati, I don't think Kaep will ever give Denver a decent season.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Marvin is probaly right that the OL and Niner coaches did him in where his mojo is shot.This has happened in the past to others.I do agree however with others that the NFL has figured out ways to limit big run plays by QBs this hurts Kap more so than Wilson because Russ is a better passer and a smarter QB.I think Kap mental wise is done and you won't see him have the 2 years he had that were good again.

NINEster

Reaction score
Nope no denial.

Kap wasn't as good as I thought but not as bad as people here make. Winning in the postseason can be isolated from the team. Not for ONE game but a series of games, yes. Kap winning multiple playoff games on the road is significant.

In that aspect I give Wilson credit for getting it done because he has won a few playoff games himself but also criticism for the drop off. Kap never dropped off in postseason. If anything he had better stats except for playing Seahawks one time (and it was his best ever performance at the link, No?)

The only pill to swallow is that the hawk defense and run game will remain strong enough for the foreseeable future to allow Wilson to develop to his potential. Last year is probably a good example on how it has. Guys like Flacco, eli, Roethlisberger are other examples of slow to develop QBs.

Wilson being a good NFL QB has more to do with team than himself. Very, very few QBs can excel in a vacuum. All these teams can "kick themselves for not drafting Wilson" but none of them will have any Lombardis to show for it.

Bevell doesn't hurt, he helps. They gave in to the Wilson as pocket passer with Harvin as threat early in 2014 and found out Wilson wasn't ready yet. The Niners tried the same thing and found out it wasn't ideal yet. If you think Harbaugh and roman made Kap while Niner fans disagree then the same is true of the combo in Seattle.

One thing about NINER fans that is the fanbase constantly underrates our QBs. If we (the majority) can call for Steve youngs head for years then nobody is safe, LOL.

If any QB of ours wowed us with a blowout against a marginal team then proceed to barely win against them in a wildcard rematch based off a missed field goal we'd be calling for his head. If he then had a nice comeback a week later (but still losing) after being down 31 points we'd question why we needed that comeback to begin with.

Too harsh? Probably.

But we wouldn't be calling him clutch or putting blame on others as I suspect many hawk fans have.

I've seen a few do so here actually criticize him and they're being ignored. It would be the opposite on our board.

Cardinal fans will tire of Palmer if he doesn't produce in the postseason. His awesome stats won't mean anything at that point. Wilson may have a bunch of great seasons ahead but if he can't cut it in the post, what will that say of him?

We'll see what happens.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
this is really a dead issue now. Johnny 8 Ball has moved in with Von Miller...he is more likely to sign than Krapper being traded.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NINEster":2zlvted9 said:
Nope no denial.

Kap wasn't as good as I thought but not as bad as people here make. Winning in the postseason can be isolated from the team. Not for ONE game but a series of games, yes. Kap winning multiple playoff games on the road is significant.

In that aspect I give Wilson credit for getting it done because he has won a few playoff games himself but also criticism for the drop off. Kap never dropped off in postseason. If anything he had better stats except for playing Seahawks one time (and it was his best ever performance at the link, No?)

The only pill to swallow is that the hawk defense and run game will remain strong enough for the foreseeable future to allow Wilson to develop to his potential. Last year is probably a good example on how it has. Guys like Flacco, eli, Roethlisberger are other examples of slow to develop QBs.

Wilson being a good NFL QB has more to do with team than himself. Very, very few QBs can excel in a vacuum. All these teams can "kick themselves for not drafting Wilson" but none of them will have any Lombardis to show for it.

Bevell doesn't hurt, he helps. They gave in to the Wilson as pocket passer with Harvin as threat early in 2014 and found out Wilson wasn't ready yet. The Niners tried the same thing and found out it wasn't ideal yet. If you think Harbaugh and roman made Kap while Niner fans disagree then the same is true of the combo in Seattle.

One thing about NINER fans that is the fanbase constantly underrates our QBs. If we (the majority) can call for Steve youngs head for years then nobody is safe, LOL.

If any QB of ours wowed us with a blowout against a marginal team then proceed to barely win against them in a wildcard rematch based off a missed field goal we'd be calling for his head. If he then had a nice comeback a week later (but still losing) after being down 31 points we'd question why we needed that comeback to begin with.

Too harsh? Probably.

But we wouldn't be calling him clutch or putting blame on others as I suspect many hawk fans have.

I've seen a few do so here actually criticize him and they're being ignored. It would be the opposite on our board.

Cardinal fans will tire of Palmer if he doesn't produce in the postseason. His awesome stats won't mean anything at that point. Wilson may have a bunch of great seasons ahead but if he can't cut it in the post, what will that say of him?

We'll see what happens.
:34853_doh: :177692:
You are wrong on so many points, SMDH. Typical Niner fan tripe, I had hope for you..... too bad you cannot see past your red and gold glasses. Oh well, enjoy the rebuild and turnstyle at head coach.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3txrbsl4 said:
this is really a dead issue now. Johnny 8 Ball has moved in with Von Miller...he is more likely to sign than Krapper being traded.

One Texas A&M legend is helping out another get his life together.

We know that Von Miller wants Manziel to be a Bronco. But I really doubt Elway is eager to blow the last couple years of his SB window on a QB who's gone AWOL to party in Las Vegas and shows all the tell tale signs of battling addiction issues.

Personally I'd love the circus it would create. But I don't think Elway is as big a fan of the circus as I am.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":2iarz5x1 said:
Cyrus12":2iarz5x1 said:

One Texas A&M legend is helping out another get his life together.

We know that Von Miller wants Manziel to be a Bronco. But I really doubt Elway is eager to blow the last couple years of his SB window on a QB who's gone AWOL to party in Las Vegas and shows all the tell tale signs of battling addiction issues.

Personally I'd love the circus it would create. But I don't think Elway is as big a fan of the circus as I am.

If I were Elway, this would freak me out. Von has had his own drug issues.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2vofod0k said:
If I were Elway, this would freak me out. Von has had his own drug issues.

Apparently Manziel had previously been living with Josh Gordon.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1i6b91xj said:
TAB420":1i6b91xj said:
Stats are great. But I would rather have that player who can make the plays when the game is on the line. This is where RW shines and CK struggles.

I don't want to belabor this point too hard or debate, but you do know that non-Hawks fans have started to question Wilson's big game performance, right?

He basically single handidly gave away the divisional round game agaisnt the Panthers on turnovers, did everything he could to give away the NFC championship game against the Packers with turnovers (4 picks and a fumble; the hawks got bailed out by their defense and an onside kick recovery), and threw away the Super Bowl on an interception at the 1 yard line.

One hundred times out of one hundred I'd still take him over Kap with the game on the line (simply because he's a better player, and very, very good QB, whereas Kap is not), but that Wilson is a big game player who makes big plays with games on the line just isn't something that's really believed off of Seahawks fan forums.

Everyone can now criticize me for saying something that's plainly obvious despite being an unpopular thing to acknowlede. :th2thumbs:

(before you get too worked up though, just remember: "One hundred times out of one hundred I'd still take him over Kap with the game on the line (simply because he's a better player and very, very good QB, whereas Kap is not)"

I'd agree with you Popeye, but only for the post season. Hell, I've questioned Wilson in the playoffs, he typically plays worse than in the regular season. But there's a trend. Wilson usually starts out playoff games playing badly and having turn overs, but he plays well in the 4th quarter. That's what people remember.

It also helps his "clutch" persona that he has quite a few amazing come backs in the regular season, dating all the way back to his rookie year. He's imbued the entire team with a mentality to keep fighting and that it's never over. That's huge.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2rhwerz5 said:
I don't want to belabor this point too hard or debate, but you do know that non-Hawks fans have started to question Wilson's big game performance, right?

He basically single handidly gave away the divisional round game agaisnt the Panthers on turnovers, did everything he could to give away the NFC championship game against the Packers with turnovers (4 picks and a fumble; the hawks got bailed out by their defense and an onside kick recovery), and threw away the Super Bowl on an interception at the 1 yard line.

One hundred times out of one hundred I'd still take him over Kap with the game on the line (simply because he's a better player, and very, very good QB, whereas Kap is not), but that Wilson is a big game player who makes big plays with games on the line just isn't something that's really believed off of Seahawks fan forums.

Everyone can now criticize me for saying something that's plainly obvious despite being an unpopular thing to acknowlede. :th2thumbs:

(before you get too worked up though, just remember: "One hundred times out of one hundred I'd still take him over Kap with the game on the line (simply because he's a better player and very, very good QB, whereas Kap is not)"

People said Wilson was a game manager, sure. But his ability to win big games has not escaped the attention of the national media. He made it two SBs in his first three seasons, and started his career 10-0 against future HoF QBs. Wilson has been talked about as a "winner" on national sports coverage constantly.

As far as Wilson's postseason resume, he's been outstanding in the postseason with the exception of four games:

New Orleans 2013 - Raining cats and dogs
Green Bay 2014 - Raining cats and dogs
Minnesota 2015 - One of the coldest games in NFL history
Carolina 2015 - Brand new turf that had the entire Seahawks team playing on roller skates for the first 20 minutes.

When he has normal game conditions, Wilson is excellent. This same trend proves equally true in the regular season. Unfortunately, under adverse game conditions Wilson tends to falls apart.

NINEster

Reaction score
kearly":3jmgsmto said:
Popeyejones":3jmgsmto said:

People said Wilson was a game manager, sure. But his ability to win big games has not escaped the attention of the national media. He made it two SBs in his first three seasons, and started his career 10-0 against future HoF QBs. Wilson has been talked about as a "winner" on national sports coverage constantly.

As far as Wilson's postseason resume, he's been outstanding in the postseason with the exception of four games:

New Orleans 2013 - Raining cats and dogs
Green Bay 2014 - Raining cats and dogs
Minnesota 2015 - One of the coldest games in NFL history
Carolina 2015 - Brand new turf that had the entire Seahawks team playing on roller skates for the first 20 minutes.

When he has normal game conditions, Wilson is excellent. This same trend proves equally true in the regular season. Unfortunately, under adverse game conditions Wilson tends to falls apart.

Wilson's 2013 NFCCG was average, or maybe slightly above average at best. Adjusted for the ground game from their respective RBs, Kaepernick did more in that game to score points than Wilson. Wilson's only TD pass was off a free play, and the opening play of that game was brutal. Neither QB played particularly well in that game, but to suggest that the home QB did would be silly.

BTW, Kap played in frozen tundra two years prior to Wilson in Minnesota and did a lot more.

NINEster

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":d2wcvi5a said:
NINEster":d2wcvi5a said:
Nope no denial.

Too harsh? Probably.

We'll see what happens.
You are wrong on so many points, SMDH. Typical Niner fan tripe, I had hope for you..... too bad you cannot see past your red and gold glasses. Oh well, enjoy the rebuild and turnstyle at head coach.

It's such a time tested way to win a debate......just tell the other person that they are simply wrong.....not a bad strategy when you have home field advantage, no? :th2thumbs:

You can't see past your green and blue glasses to see just how damn good your starting 52s have been to complement Wilson (along with the coaching).

Wilson drafted by most other teams would have done far, far less.

Don't take for granted all of the pieces of the seahawk puzzle.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NINEster":ir8vqcjr said:
Sports Hernia":ir8vqcjr said:
NINEster":ir8vqcjr said:
Nope no denial.

Too harsh? Probably.

We'll see what happens.

It's such a time tested way to win a debate......just tell the other person that they are simply wrong.....not a bad strategy when you have home field advantage, no? :th2thumbs:

You can't see past your green and blue glasses to see just how damn good your starting 52s have been to complement Wilson (along with the coaching).

Wilson drafted by most other teams would have done far, far less.

Don't take for granted all of the pieces of the seahawk puzzle.
You just don't get it.
A debate is useless when the other person is stubborn and their mind is already made up.
Do you think any point I was to bring up would change your mind??? The answer is NO.

Your bias is blinding you. Enjoy the rebuild.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jeez, I guess that team Montana and Young worked with was just average then and had no impact on their success as well.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
NINEster":d9gfqali said:
Wilson's 2013 NFCCG was average, or maybe slightly above average at best. Adjusted for the ground game from their respective RBs, Kaepernick did more in that game to score points than Wilson. Wilson's only TD pass was off a free play, and the opening play of that game was brutal. Neither QB played particularly well in that game, but to suggest that the home QB did would be silly.

BTW, Kap played in frozen tundra two years prior to Wilson in Minnesota and did a lot more.

A 104.6 passer rating, especially going up against an elite defense, is not average no matter how you try to spin it.

I agree that Kaep plays better in bad weather conditions. It is a problem for Wilson.