Browner given pay raise.. Not an extension

OP
OP
Barthawk

Barthawk

Reaction score
I believe this means someone with a decent size salary gets cut during TC. Although, Miller and Rice are prime targets for release after the season, both carry huge cap numbers next year but little guaranteed money left on their deals.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Barthawk":1akowwck said:
I believe this means someone with a decent size salary gets cut during TC. Although, Miller and Rice are prime targets for release after the season, both carry huge cap numbers next year but little guaranteed money left on their deals.
In that case you can cut them in the offseason. Browner has a year left in his deal, so this extension shouldn't have an effect on the Hawks' current salary cap. Besides, if Harvin is out for an extended period, you need those receiving threats.

sutz

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2os9vq0y said:
Didn't John Schneider and John Idzik sit down and work out a plan/budget to re-sign all of these core players on offense and defense that they drafted or picked up off the scrap-heap? I thought that I had heard that somewhere.
I don't know that they ever formally announced something like that. But they'd be stupid to not have a plan. I know they're not stupid. Sure, there will be contingencies, but I'm sure they have a plan. I can see how it's working.
:)

GawksAtHawks

Reaction score
This is great news! Browner took a risk coming here to play, has played extremely well (pro bowler), and deservers to be paid. Not to mention the message this sends to not only our team but the league as well.

:thirishdrinkers: cheers to the Legion of boom

kearly

Reaction score
A pay raise?

Maybe they are just being nice, but GMs usually don't burn cap space out of goodwill, especially given the cap hell Seattle has coming over the horizon. I wonder how much this pay raise had to do with the Clemons episode last year? Seattle would have been better off not signing Clemons to that extension, but they really had no choice at the time. Clemons had them by the balls. Maybe they were afraid of Browner pulling a similar tactic? You have to admit, the timing of this pay raise is pretty suspicious. I don't think Seattle wanted to be forced to extend Browner, so making a gesture of goodwill might be a way of nipping that problem in the bud.

m0ng0

Reaction score
well deserved ! Congrats to BB and hope to see more bodyslams this season !

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I think they will let Browner hit FA next year and test the waters. At some point you can't re-sign everyone. However this was a little nudge saying, come back, we'll take care of you.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I hope it's an extension for the big guy, but I'll be happy for him if its just a raise

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
where's the link regarding it being a raise rather than an extension?

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Other than creating goodwill with his teammates and showing that this organization will reward its players for a job well done, why would the team want to increase his salary without adding any more years to his deal?

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":2ae77wbj said:
Other than creating goodwill with his teammates and showing that this organization will reward its players for a job well done, why would the team want to increase his salary without adding any more years to his deal?
It's probably incentives laden. This "raise" might not be guaranteed.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
It sounds like a raise was given as he earned it. I think this move is as much a demonstration to the rest of the team that hard work is rewarded.

This I suspect will help others stay put down the road as well as attract free agents which I suspect have incentive rich contracts

JSeahawks

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3kwfw5ug said:

Maybe we'll give you a little bit more now while we have salary cap room, if you'll be willing to take a little less later when things are tight.

nategreat

Reaction score
I always thought we should sign the Legion of Boom to a single contract. All 4 guys, one contract. $32 million a year or something. That would be great! They would have to ask each other permission to take money out of the account, preventing any misjudged spending. :th2thumbs:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
This is called doing right.

We should applaud this deal, even if not an extension. It tells players that the Seahawks do right if a player earns it.

Latest posts