Browner suspended a year for non-PED drug abuse per ESPN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I'm just kind of bewildered about the stupidity of Thurman and Browner. I "partook" before my current job 20 years ago at times, and LIKED it, as it was a better high than alcohol minus the hangover. Once I applied for my current job which due to the nature of the business I can be tested at any time for any reason per terms of my employment I STOPPED! If I fail a test even for pot even though it's LEGAL in this state I can and will be terminated, bye bye health/dental insurance, pension, paid vacation and job security. That's why I haven't touched the stuff in 20 years, not worth pissing away what I've worked 20 years for and my losing tens of thousands is peanuts compared to these bozos losing millions. SMH.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
A comment in addition to my previous post about how it's foolish to think that there are plenty more players on this team (any NFL team for that matter) that smoke weed.

Remember the training camp Real Rob Report where Christine Michael did a freestyle rap and rapped about smoking weed? And remember Chris Clemons telling him off for it?

Two things. One, Michael showed right there in a moment of stupidity and rookie ignorance that he thought it was ok to say. And why would he think it was ok if smoking weed was just something a couple of bad apples did in secret? Two, Clemons told him off because he was being stupid in publicizing something that is well known to the players, just not to fans. That A LOT of these dues smoke the stuff. They all know that they do. And they know many of them get away with it. Not saying Clemons smokes it. But he definitely knows a bunch of guys that do. Of course the vet wouldn't want the rookie bragging about it in front of cameras.

The rules are the rules. No way around it. No defense for guys failing tests when the stuff is against the league's rules. That said, I look forward to the day when the stuff is legal nationally (might be a while thanks to our friends in some of our more conservative states) and this isn't an issue for professional sports. Because given the culture these guys come from and the culture they play and live in as pro athletes, it's never going to change. These guys consider themselves in the same general line of work as rappers and movie stars. They aren't going to be changing their life styles any time soon. It will be nice when we don't have to give a crap if guys get high in their down time as opposed to being able to get drunk as they want and it being cool.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1cv1jmim said:
So do we have to wait till he is healthy before we can cut him?

I want the team to move on from him Pronto.
Exactly. Send a message. Obviously his suspension last year taught him jack shit.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
HawKnPeppa":uudm4w12 said:
MANUNITED23":uudm4w12 said:
After the season is over, regardless of superbowl win or not Paul Allen needs to seriously consider Pete's future as Seahawks head coach . These kind of things been happening for way too long and way too often under his leadership.

And the hate starts now....

Yes, Tim Ruskell. Isspoff

I know, right? Let's get Ruskell back here to draft his high-character guys. I sure do miss the days of LoJack!

chris98251

Reaction score
MANUNITED23":1tn60pr9 said:
After the season is over, regardless of superbowl win or not Paul Allen needs to seriously consider Pete's future as Seahawks head coach . These kind of things been happening for way too long and way too often under his leadership.

What more can he do, he had a meeting last season and this season about this stuff, he instituted a program for the players to have a mediator and person to talk to if players had issues, he has his leaders addressing the team about this stuff.

If you want to bail then bail on the team, were looking for a Superbowl, Pete and John have done nothing short of miracles here.

Look at the Cowboys and tell me that Irvin and others that had issues or the Raiders and that team in the 70's and 80's did not have thier problems. They weathered them and moved on. The Patriots have a history of bringing in guys with issues and molding them into a winner. Pete has showed us that he has little tolerance for not buying in, I have to beleive these situations are going to be part of it. He also understands the culture and background these players come from, not our suburbia mentality of everyone is a Thug from intercitys that seems to dominate things.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MANUNITED23":2zpy397p said:

You're joking...

DavidSeven

Reaction score
MANUNITED23":3epd1xju said:

Dumbest post of the week. Trumps your Andrew Luck-love posts.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SeaTown81":dqivtck2 said:
A comment in addition to my previous post about how it's foolish to think that there are plenty more players on this team (any NFL team for that matter) that smoke weed.

Remember the training camp Real Rob Report where Christine Michael did a freestyle rap and rapped about smoking weed? And remember Chris Clemons telling him off for it?

Two things. One, Michael showed right there in a moment of stupidity and rookie ignorance that he thought it was ok to say. And why would he think it was ok if smoking weed was just something a couple of bad apples did in secret? Two, Clemons told him off because he was being stupid in publicizing something that is well known to the players, just not to fans. That A LOT of these dues smoke the stuff. They all know that they do. And they know many of them get away with it. Not saying Clemons smokes it. But he definitely knows a bunch of guys that do. Of course the vet wouldn't want the rookie bragging about it in front of cameras.

The rules are the rules. No way around it. No defense for guys failing tests when the stuff is against the league's rules. That said, I look forward to the day when the stuff is legal nationally (might be a while thanks to our friends in some of our more conservative states) and this isn't an issue for professional sports. Because given the culture these guys come from and the culture they play and live in as pro athletes, it's never going to change. These guys consider themselves in the same general line of work as rappers and movie stars. They aren't going to be changing their life styles any time soon. It will be nice when we don't have to give a crap if guys get high in their down time as opposed to being able to get drunk as they want and it being cool.
Good points! Pot should have never been illegal in the first place. Also hope someday like you where pot is no big deal.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2n9zzj7r said:
MANUNITED23":2n9zzj7r said:

Dumbest post of the week. Trumps your Andrew Luck-love posts.
yep, +1

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
MANUNITED23":1phwuypu said:

This whole thread is filled with ridiculous overreaction which is slightly understandable but this takes the cake. Word to the wise, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Crabhawk

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":3k12f006 said:
MANUNITED23":3k12f006 said:

This whole thread is filled with ridiculous overreaction which is slightly understandable but this takes the cake. Word to the wise, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
FIFY

drdiags

Reaction score
The article on Sam Hurd gives a little peep into the the life of a player that speaks about close to 50% of players on any one team smoking weed due to pain tolerance and other reasons. Though it most likely isn't that high, I would imagine 20-30% might not be unreasonable. Plus it depends on what type of hanger-ons you have as a player and where they priorities are at.

All Pete and John can do is tighten up their scales for the type of players they bring in. I am not in with the fire Pete/John thinking. Bring in some experts in the field to help them but giving them the boot is an over-reaction. Ruskell ran out folks but he did also bring in Leroy Hill, so how did that work out? And Lofa. Give it a break ManUnited. Your post is not a solution.

getnasty

Reaction score
MANUNITED23":13q5n1pv said:

I trying to figure out if I'm high right now after reading this.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3clv6oy4 said:
HawKnPeppa":3clv6oy4 said:
MANUNITED23":3clv6oy4 said:

Yes, Tim Ruskell. Isspoff

I know, right? Let's get Ruskell back here to draft his high-character guys. I sure do miss the days of LoJack!

Yeah, that reasoning (fire Pete) is so off base. Pete gave BB a chance, because that's what Pete does. Now that BB is showing a trend of poor choices, Pete will cut him loose. He's history. Should Allen have fired Holmgren for giving multiple chances to Jeremy Stevens, Koren Robinson and Leroy Hill? Also, seems like a double standard is applied when the issue is alcohol-related. We're talking about a subtance that is legal in more than one state, but certain forum label him as a'druggie.' Wake up.

MANUNITED23

Reaction score
I didn't say he should get fired, but a conversation must take place about his handling of this situation.

CPHawk

Reaction score
This may not be a popular thing to say, but I've been around guys who do roids. Guess what their favorite calming drug is? Yep, weed. In my book 1+1=2, he can say whatever he wants but he didn't test positive last year for some stupid ADD drug.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":2m1a4bwg said:
How big of a distraction is this for the rest of the team do you suppose?
We'll find out soon enough but I'd like to think they have strong enough leadership to deal with it and still perform at their usual level.

Status
Not open for further replies.