Bruce Irvin @ Hawks BB game 5/13/15 quote

kearly

Reaction score
Irvin has always been a speak before he thinks guy. Very emotional. He was very upset after his sitdown talk with Carroll when he was told they weren't picking up his option. This is just a continuation of that.

This does seem to be playing out a lot like the Golden Tate situation did. A year before Tate was a FA, Seattle traded for Harvin, and Tate kind of knew his time might be up. So he pleaded in a much more intelligent way, but was ultimately put in a situation by the Seahawks where he basically had to take Detroit's offer. And of course, Tate was VERY butthurt about the departure.

In the case of both Tate and Irvin, there is a bit of female logic going on. They talk about how bad they want to be somewhere else, when in reality what they really want is stay where they are and get more care and attention then they are currently receiving.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kearly":2tktvrds said:
Irvin has always been a speak before he thinks guy. Very emotional. He was very upset after his sitdown talk with Carroll when he was told they weren't picking up his option. This is just a continuation of that.

This does seem to be playing out a lot like the Golden Tate situation did. A year before Tate was a FA, Seattle traded for Harvin, and Tate kind of knew his time might be up. So he pleaded in a much more intelligent way, but was ultimately put in a situation by the Seahawks where he basically had to take Detroit's offer. And of course, Tate was VERY butthurt about the departure.

In the case of both Tate and Irvin, there is a bit of female logic going on. They talk about how bad they want to be somewhere else, when in reality what they really want is stay where they are and get more care and attention then they are currently receiving.

Good post, and I wouldn't call it so much a female logic, as much as immature and childish. Which let's face it, these players are pampered and coddled their entire lives doing no wrong and getting everything they want.

That's why they turn out to be 29 year old defensive lineman that throw tantrums when their team doesn't sign his brother, refuse to talk to reporters because they don't feel like it...........and in this case flop on the virtual floor of Twitter and act like a three year old that got told he's not getting the cookie.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
vin.couve12":27tmcda3 said:
At any rate, assuming this relationship can't be repaired it makes the most sense to trade him this offseason where we can get something in return.

One year of a guy playing in a contract year + a compensatory pick > his trade value now

vin.couve12

Reaction score
They aren't pampered and coddled their entire lives. Many live in relative ish until they get to College. That said, most never want to return to said ish and want to cash in.

These generalities that are said are right along the same lines that many players think about golden boy QBs who get a substantial amount of a teams cap.

Normal day to day person thinks every NFL player acts like they're royalty.

Average football player thinks QBs act like they're royalty.

Oddly enough, normal day to day person is generally very supportive of QBs acting like said royalty and then resort to name calling and other mess when it comes to the average NFL player.

There's a LOT of irony when it comes to things like this. And it's more closely related to a feminine logic all on sides, fans and players alike, than any other kind of thinking.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Tical21":hkzexxg4 said:
It's just that they should be loving us.

We've focused our whole gameplan around Marshawn, given him space to be himself, paid him quite well, and embraced his personality. There shouldn't be any anti-Hawk sentiment there.

Just last year we paid Michael Bennett a very fair contract. He just got to play in two Super Bowls. We move him around to let him make the most of his matchups. He should be loving us. Yet we get trade demands.

We took Bruce Irvin higher than anybody else ever dreamed, which paid him more money. We hung by him through his suspension and idiocy. He played in two Super Bowls with us. We groomed him into an every down player when he wasn't one before. He should be incredibly thankful for what we've done for him. Yet he comes out with this.

Something just doesn't feel right. Who is next?

We can learn from this -- don't believe everything we read.

There were numerous stories last season about the team being fed up with Marshawn and wanting to trade him . . . those stories were FALSE, according to Carroll.

There were stories about Michael Bennett wanting to be traded . . . those stories were FALSE, according to Bennett.

And there were stories about the team wanting to trade Irvin . . . those too were FALSE, according to Schneider.

There is a pattern here. We should be aware of it.

Giblien

Reaction score
After this quote, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Atlanta THIS season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
vin.couve12":ei6mnsjn said:
They aren't pampered and coddled their entire lives. Many live in relative ish until they get to College. That said, most never want to return to said ish and want to cash in.

These generalities that are said are right along the same lines that many players think about golden boy QBs who get a substantial amount of a teams cap.

Oddly enough, normal day to day person is generally very supportive of QBs acting like said royalty and then resort to name calling and other mess when it comes to the average NFL player.

There's a LOT of irony when it comes to things like this. And it's more closely related to a feminine logic all on sides, fans and players alike, than any other kind of thinking.

You're making a disconnect between childish behavior and being a bad person.

Even players who come from the most poor and bleak of situations are treated differently than other kids once parents, teachers, coaches, etc find out they're special athletes. It's why they get cars for free, homes rented for their families, other people taking tests for them, and an endless amount of women thrown at them.

So don't tell me they're not coddled, they absolutely are..........and coddled behavior turns into grown ass men who throw fits on social media when they don't get what they want. Most mature adults do not act like that, so why do they? Not all certainly, but a far higher percentage than any other walk of life or career.

Bruce is not a bad person, but he's an immature person, and his tweets prove me right.

Melencause

Reaction score
Why is everyone getting so pissed about this. We weren't going to pay him anywhere near what the market will pay him. He's from Atlanta. I'm fine with 1 more year of Irvin at 1.5 million. What value do you get from a trade anyways?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I hope Bruce has an excellent season and the team has to struggle to try to keep him. However, if not I hope he gets paid the $ he wants. I don't care where he goes as long as he isn't playing in our Division. if he gets paid what he wants I suspect the team will recoup a 3rd rd Comp pick for him.

Subzero717

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3s94ckp7 said:
Tical21":3s94ckp7 said:

We've focused our whole gameplan around Marshawn, given him space to be himself, paid him quite well, and embraced his personality. There shouldn't be any anti-Hawk sentiment there.

Just last year we paid Michael Bennett a very fair contract. He just got to play in two Super Bowls. We move him around to let him make the most of his matchups. He should be loving us. Yet we get trade demands.

We took Bruce Irvin higher than anybody else ever dreamed, which paid him more money. We hung by him through his suspension and idiocy. He played in two Super Bowls with us. We groomed him into an every down player when he wasn't one before. He should be incredibly thankful for what we've done for him. Yet he comes out with this.

There were numerous stories last season about the team being fed up with Marshawn and wanting to trade him . . . those stories were FALSE, according to Carroll.

There were stories about Michael Bennett wanting to be traded . . . those stories were FALSE, according to Bennett.

And there were stories about the team wanting to trade Irvin . . . those too were FALSE, according to Schneider.

I don't see the connection between rumors and a direct quote from person involved mouth???

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Melencause":1axegoim said:
Why is everyone getting so pissed about this. We weren't going to pay him anywhere near what the market will pay him. He's from Atlanta. I'm fine with 1 more year of Irvin at 1.5 million. What value do you get from a trade anyways?

You don't get anything for him in a trade, that's why he's not going anywhere.

Why trade a player in his contract year? That's a great time to get production. If Irvin wants to play in Atlanta, that's great, but he's gonna have to wait a year. Or hold out with zero leverage.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Tical21":1gmrfdyx said:
It doesn't feel right that the cool new trend is to be unhappy in Seattle. I know this isn't much in a vacuum, but the overall feel just doesn't seem right. There isn't a team in the league that would have picked up that option. He's whining for the sake of whining. Does it feel a bit like the first bricks are starting to fall off the castle, or am I reading way too much into this?
Are you a closet 9er fan? That is completely flippant.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3f9qjehj said:
hawknation2015":3f9qjehj said:
Tical21":3f9qjehj said:

I don't see the connection between rumors and a direct quote from person involved mouth???

I was speaking more to aftereffects of these false rumors. Looking at Irvin's reactions on twitter to the FALSE trade speculation, coupled with the team's decision to not exercise his fifth-year option, it appears he may have bought into the false speculation about his future status with the team.

The fact is Carroll/Schenider have never exercised a fifth-year option on any player, and Schneider has made clear that the team hopes to sign Irvin to a long-term deal after the Wilson contract negotiations are completed.

We all need to stop believing this false speculation and let the process play out before we jump to conclusions -- that includes the players themselves.

SirTed

Reaction score
Hawks46":21wu4v7z said:
SirTed":21wu4v7z said:
This doesn't bother me AT ALL.

As a previous poster said - he's in a contract year. I'm not worried about his on field performance, whatsoever.

Plus, just consider for a second - The Hawks have all but indicated that they're not planning on pursuing Bruce after this season by not picking up his option. That's fine. I love Bruce, but we can't keep em' all.

So, if the Hawks can express their intentions by not resigning, why can't Bruce?

I hope he has a phenomenal year, and either makes re-signing him a must, or drives his market value up, and he gets paid handsomely by some other team.

Well, that's incorrect. The only thing it means by the Hawks not picking up his option, is that they didn't want to pay him $7.8 million this year. No other team in the league would've either. Not saying he's not a good player, because I don't think he's hit his ceiling personally, but not with last year's production.

The one thing he would've done is hurt his trade value to Atlanta. The problem is, there is no trade value to Atlanta. Anyone know who Atlanta's 1st round draft pick was ? The Falcons don't need two of those players. He can whine all he wants, he's not going there for anything more than a value contract.

Yeah, I stand by what I said. They didn't pick up his option. Remember this post when Bruce hits the market. I promise he's going to get on / around that money. Just like Kearly said, this smells of Bruce being hurt. He's the odd man out. He'd love to stay, I'm sure but we can't afford it. So, I'm hoping he shows out this season. I'm not sure what the trade value is for a starting caliber LB making 1.5mil, but I think he's just as valuable to us for this one upcoming season. I hope he plays well enough to get paid handsomely, either by the Seahawks or another team.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Hawks46":o7gkf6g1 said:
Well, that's incorrect. The only thing it means by the Hawks not picking up his option, is that they didn't want to pay him $7.8 million this year. No other team in the league would've either. Not saying he's not a good player, because I don't think he's hit his ceiling personally, but not with last year's production.

The one thing he would've done is hurt his trade value to Atlanta. The problem is, there is no trade value to Atlanta. Anyone know who Atlanta's 1st round draft pick was ? The Falcons don't need two of those players. He can whine all he wants, he's not going there for anything more than a value contract.

Everyone here agrees that his "rant" that he wants to play in Atlanta next year was a "stupid move".

Has anybody here concluded that perhaps he was "under the influence" when he posted that? He's probably regretting that post big time!

kidhawk

Reaction score
SirTed":132p0jk8 said:
Hawks46":132p0jk8 said:
SirTed":132p0jk8 said:
This doesn't bother me AT ALL.

As a previous poster said - he's in a contract year. I'm not worried about his on field performance, whatsoever.

Plus, just consider for a second - The Hawks have all but indicated that they're not planning on pursuing Bruce after this season by not picking up his option. That's fine. I love Bruce, but we can't keep em' all.

So, if the Hawks can express their intentions by not resigning, why can't Bruce?

I hope he has a phenomenal year, and either makes re-signing him a must, or drives his market value up, and he gets paid handsomely by some other team.

Yeah, I stand by what I said. They didn't pick up his option. Remember this post when Bruce hits the market. I promise he's going to get on / around that money. Just like Kearly said, this smells of Bruce being hurt. He's the odd man out. He'd love to stay, I'm sure but we can't afford it. So, I'm hoping he shows out this season. I'm not sure what the trade value is for a starting caliber LB making 1.5mil, but I think he's just as valuable to us for this one upcoming season. I hope he plays well enough to get paid handsomely, either by the Seahawks or another team.

Bruce may well have had his feelers hurt by us not picking up the option, and that may keep him from re-signing here, but that doesn't mean in any sense that we didn't want to keep hiim. Pete has said that they want to keep him around for the long term. IMO the best way to do that is not forcing him to stay under an additional year to his rookie contract, but by offering a fair contract that gets him paid sooner, yet under a more cap friendly deal. It's generally a win win. Of course if his feelers are really that hurt, then he won't see that, but he may well change his mind if they make a decent offer. Sometimes just getting back on the field with your teammates can do wonders for your morale.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Tical21":5qsyc3zc said:
It doesn't feel right that the cool new trend is to be unhappy in Seattle. I know this isn't much in a vacuum, but the overall feel just doesn't seem right. There isn't a team in the league that would have picked up that option. He's whining for the sake of whining. Does it feel a bit like the first bricks are starting to fall off the castle, or am I reading way too much into this?
Guys don't like hearing that they're not a "core" player.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":vv9rjfm1 said:
vin.couve12":vv9rjfm1 said:

You're making a disconnect between childish behavior and being a bad person.

Even players who come from the most poor and bleak of situations are treated differently than other kids once parents, teachers, coaches, etc find out they're special athletes. It's why they get cars for free, homes rented for their families, other people taking tests for them, and an endless amount of women thrown at them.

So don't tell me they're not coddled, they absolutely are..........and coddled behavior turns into grown ass men who throw fits on social media when they don't get what they want. Most mature adults do not act like that, so why do they? Not all certainly, but a far higher percentage than any other walk of life or career.

Bruce is not a bad person, but he's an immature person, and his tweets prove me right.
You're taking a smaller sample and applying the context to every single player.

EDIT: With a "IT'S NOT FAIR! IT'S NOT FAIR!" rant like that....you're not a cop, are you?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
IMO, Bruce is acting like a baby. But he is obviously entitled to his opinion and he can say whatever he wants. I just can't stand players who take the sports business to personal. It's a business. I personally think Bruce took it very personal that we didn't pick up his option, when he saw most of his teammates get deals.

If he wants to go play for the Falcons and be 8-8 next year, fine by me. He can sit back in february 2017 and watch us win the superbowl.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Players know when they're playing up to their draft pick level.. or not.

Bruce is an idiot if he thinks he's been playing up to the 15th pick overall.

He's just not.

It's a matter of economics... you don't pay a player 1st round money on his 2nd contract if he's been playing at a 3rd round level.

Latest posts