Bryron Maxwell released

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
What if by the end of this week, Lane is traded to Miami for a condition 6th round pick that turns into a 5th if Lane is on the team after the new league year.

What if Byron Maxwell does get signed on as depth, and possibly a big NCB chess piece?

Maxwell might also come in and be asked to help mentor Quil. Maybe Lane hasn't been that guy. Not at least in the same way Sherm has.

Likely though, Maxwell will find a starting opportunity. Lane doesn't get traded.

getnasty

Reaction score
We aren't going to get anything for Lane when people like Maxwell are on the open market.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Erebus":3r0v6fox said:
Does anyone have any insight on why Maxwell was released? Looks like he played well last year. Did that not continue? I know the Dolphins aren't good, but at 4-2 and in the thick of a division race, there is no way they are getting rid of quality players just to save some money.

Maxwell being available definitely hurts Lane's trade value. If he's an upgrade over Lane like many of you suggest, why would any team trade for Lane when they can sign Maxwell for less money and give up no draft picks?

From what I've seen on reddit from Dolphins fans, Maxwell started out the season not playing very well and it's thought that he's had some type of nagging injury that forced him to the bench early on (I think the first couple games IIRC). They played rookie Cordrea Tankersley in his place and Tankersley has played well enough to hold onto the starting position since.

kidhawk

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":1h4amwyp said:
Erebus":1h4amwyp said:
Does anyone have any insight on why Maxwell was released? Looks like he played well last year. Did that not continue? I know the Dolphins aren't good, but at 4-2 and in the thick of a division race, there is no way they are getting rid of quality players just to save some money.

Maxwell being available definitely hurts Lane's trade value. If he's an upgrade over Lane like many of you suggest, why would any team trade for Lane when they can sign Maxwell for less money and give up no draft picks?

From what I've seen on reddit from Dolphins fans, Maxwell started out the season not playing very well and it's thought that he's had some type of nagging injury that forced him to the bench early on (I think the first couple games IIRC). They played rookie Cordrea Tankersley in his place and Tankersley has played well enough to hold onto the starting position since.

Still, you'd think there would be more than that. Under normal circumstances you'd be better off to pay him to be on the bench and release him in the offseason. Either way they still are paying his salary. There's just got to be something that isn't being said publicly.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
kidhawk":z8w6rnxl said:
JGfromtheNW":z8w6rnxl said:
Erebus":z8w6rnxl said:

Still, you'd think there would be more than that. Under normal circumstances you'd be better off to pay him to be on the bench and release him in the offseason. Either way they still are paying his salary. There's just got to be something that isn't being said publicly.

Agreed it's gotta be more than just on-field performance, so I did a little more digging and here's what I'm seeing from phins fans:

1) He doesn't contribute to special teams at all. So if he's riding the bench he's just a really expensive depth player.
2) Salary is too high. Cutting him this year will supposedly save them about $10MM next year.
3) Was virtually a lock to be a cap casualty at the end of the season anyway.
4) There are reports that he was playing whatever coverage/technique he wanted and not following game plans. Especially frustrating was that he was, reportedly, refusing to play any type of press technique and would line up 5+ yards off the LOS/WR every play.

kidhawk

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":2vb4dwp7 said:
kidhawk":2vb4dwp7 said:
JGfromtheNW":2vb4dwp7 said:
Erebus":2vb4dwp7 said:

Agreed it's gotta be more than just on-field performance, so I did a little more digging and here's what I'm seeing from phins fans:

1) He doesn't contribute to special teams at all. So if he's riding the bench he's just a really expensive depth player.
2) Salary is too high. Cutting him this year will supposedly save them about $10MM next year.

4) There are reports that he was playing whatever coverage/technique he wanted and not following game plans. Especially frustrating was that he was, reportedly, refusing to play any type of press technique and would line up 5+ yards off the LOS/WR every play.

Numbers 2 and 3 (Highlighted in green) make no sense. Just because he's going to be a cap casualty isn't a reason to cut him when you are going to have to pay him for this season either way. Cutting him at the end of the year is exactly the same as cutting him now, except you have someone who can step in for an injury (should one or more occur).

Number 1 really is kind of meaningless in my opinion because he's the same price on the bench as on the market.

The only one that makes any sense (if it's real) is number 4. If he's causing issues within the team dynamic that could be reason enough, even if it is merely to make a point to the rest of the team.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
kidhawk":34rqredu said:
JGfromtheNW":34rqredu said:
kidhawk":34rqredu said:
JGfromtheNW":34rqredu said:

Numbers 2 and 3 (Highlighted in green) make no sense. Just because he's going to be a cap casualty isn't a reason to cut him when you are going to have to pay him for this season either way. Cutting him at the end of the year is exactly the same as cutting him now, except you have someone who can step in for an injury (should one or more occur).

Number 1 really is kind of meaningless in my opinion because he's the same price on the bench as on the market.

The only one that makes any sense (if it's real) is number 4. If he's causing issues within the team dynamic that could be reason enough, even if it is merely to make a point to the rest of the team.

It's similar to the Lane situation where cutting him this year would transfer some of his dead money (I think from signing bonus) to this year and thus creates a little more relief next year? I'm not 100% sure of the cap implications, though, so I'm just kinda regurgitating what I've read.

kidhawk

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":2ykztc8c said:
It's similar to the Lane situation where cutting him this year would transfer some of his dead money (I think from signing bonus) to this year and thus creates a little more relief next year? I'm not 100% sure of the cap implications, though, so I'm just kinda regurgitating what I've read.

Maxwell was traded from the Eagles to the Dolphins. The Eagles already ate the signing bonus. The dolphins were only on the hook for his salary. As soon as he made the active roster, they owed him $8.5 million this year whether he played or was on the bench or on the street. There's no money to shuffle. They took the hit for his current years salary when they cut him. They save nothing over waiting to cut him at the end of the year. If anything, they have to pay out a little more to fill the roster out with another body. This move had nothing to do with money. That's the only thing I'm sure of.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
kidhawk":28fd2k0e said:
JGfromtheNW":28fd2k0e said:

Maxwell was traded from the Eagles to the Dolphins. The Eagles already ate the signing bonus. The dolphins were only on the hook for his salary. As soon as he made the active roster, they owed him $8.5 million this year whether he played or was on the bench or on the street. There's no money to shuffle. They took the hit for his current years salary when they cut him. They save nothing over waiting to cut him at the end of the year. If anything, they have to pay out a little more to fill the roster out with another body. This move had nothing to do with money. That's the only thing I'm sure of.

Good info :2thumbs:

massari

Reaction score
Erebus":35nxs4gt said:

Byron Maxwell in the doghouse for good reason but not the one you think:
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-c ... 52871.html

Rotoworld:
Maxwell has not been active since Week 3 in part because of a hamstring injury but mostly because he fell out of favor with the coaching staff. Despite a disappointing start to the year, Maxwell should find another team quickly. The Dolphins will move forward with Xavien Howard and Cordrea Tankersley at corner.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Maxwell > Lane and they already know he can play well in the Seahawks scheme. FO could trade Lane and then bring in Maxwell.

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":p968glez said:
Maxwell > Lane and they already know he can play well in the Seahawks scheme. FO could trade Lane and then bring in Maxwell.

If your first statement is true than logic dictates your last statement to be false because if Maxwell is better than Lane another team could pick him up for less money and no draft capital

hawkfan68

Reaction score
kidhawk":2b51y6sr said:
hawkfan68":2b51y6sr said:

If your first statement is true than logic dictates your last statement to be false because if Maxwell is better than Lane another team could pick him up for less money and no draft capital

Not necessarily. Lane has only been in the Seahawk system so there's no guarantee he would fair better than Maxwell on a different team. Whether Maxwell gets signed by another team doesn't impact if he's better than Lane or not. Do other systems run the same defensive scheme the Seahawks do? Maxwell has played in the Seahawk scheme and was the starting CB for the superbowl winning team.

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2wy757cq said:
kidhawk":2wy757cq said:
hawkfan68":2wy757cq said:

Not necessarily. Lane has only been in the Seahawk system so there's no guarantee he would fair better than Maxwell on a different team. Whether Maxwell gets signed by another team doesn't impact if he's better than Lane or not. Do other systems run the same defensive scheme the Seahawks do? Maxwell has played in the Seahawk scheme and was the starting CB for the superbowl winning team.

If you comare Maxwell and Lane in the Seahawks system, Maxwell was the far better CB. Maxwell was overpaid for sure when the Eagles signed him, but his play last year in Miami was solid. He's already getting his full $8.5 million from the dolphins, so he doesn't need to sign a contract worth much to get through the season, so he'll come cheaper than the $2.5 million Lane will cost someone plus he doesn't have 2 years and $12 million left n a deal like Lane does. Right now, anyone looking for a corner would be wise to offer Maxwell a minimum contract and decide on a possible extension offer after he's played there. Once Maxwell is signed somewhere, then Lane becomes a more attractive offer, but until then, why give up a draft pick for a guy who is probably not going to be better than a guy you can get for no draft picks?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
kidhawk":24xvayeh said:
hawkfan68":24xvayeh said:
kidhawk":24xvayeh said:
hawkfan68":24xvayeh said:

If you comare Maxwell and Lane in the Seahawks system, Maxwell was the far better CB. Maxwell was overpaid for sure when the Eagles signed him, but his play last year in Miami was solid. He's already getting his full $8.5 million from the dolphins, so he doesn't need to sign a contract worth much to get through the season, so he'll come cheaper than the $2.5 million Lane will cost someone plus he doesn't have 2 years and $12 million left n a deal like Lane does. Right now, anyone looking for a corner would be wise to offer Maxwell a minimum contract and decide on a possible extension offer after he's played there. Once Maxwell is signed somewhere, then Lane becomes a more attractive offer, but until then, why give up a draft pick for a guy who is probably not going to be better than a guy you can get for no draft picks?

Ok. I understand your point better now. That makes sense.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Trade Lane for a conditional 7th and bring in Maxi.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk