Bucs sign OG J.R Sweezy

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2hpa3jbq said:
hawknation2016":2hpa3jbq said:
Scottemojo":2hpa3jbq said:
Sweezy had so many suitors because he is more respected by NFL people than Seahawk fans, by and large. Because he is a tough guy.

I do consider how OL players do outside Seattle to be a bit of a referendum on Cable. So far, Breno and Carpenter have been decent after leaving.

I will miss this guy and his attitude.

Breno Giacomini has played poorly for the Jets the last two seasons. He went from bad in 2014 to terrible last season. Both in run and pass pro, Breno has been a huge liability.

Carpenter is the one lineman who left the Seahawks and managed to play well. For the first season in his career, Carpenter stayed in shape and avoided injuries. I expect Sweezy to achieve something approaching that level of success with the Buccaneers, who certainly could use his help. Sweezy and Ali Marpet should form a physically imposing duo inside.

Still, there were more important ways for the Seahawks to spend that money than re-signing guards Carpenter or Sweezy. When you are trying to compete for a Super Bowl, you have to be smart about choosing whom to allocate the big bucks.
Weren't you the guy who pimped Nowak all the time? Grain of salt, taken.

Oh, and the Jets got Breno and Carpenter, and oddly became a good running team. PFF scores can suck it, they wanted attitude on their line and they got it.

As will the Bucs.

PS, I never said Seattle needed to keep him. I don't need a theoretical lesson about what you do "when you are trying to win a Super Bowl", I said I would miss his tough attitude.

I disagree entirely. You do need a lesson, Scottemojo. And I for one am glad HN2016 is here to give it.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
hawknation2016":52m2coy7 said:
After three years of below average play, the team needed to tear this unit down and build it back up with superior talent. Throwing millions of dollars at inconsistent players was never going to make this unit great. They need to develop the young talent they already have, scour the free agency market for veteran bargains, and draft extremely well. Then maybe we will have an offensive line we can be proud of.

I believe that is exactly what they are doing. I don't think we will be able to fully evaluate the success or failure of the project until the 2017 season. I believe that the ultimate goal is to have a stable of linemen on the practice squad who step up in their second and third year, then move on to their big second contract on other teams. Except for, perhaps, the LT position, I think the line will be a continually rotating group of guys on their first contract. Last year was the setup, the follow through starts this year, but it won't be until 2017 when we see if they can pull it off successfully.

They need somewhere to scrimp.

-bsd

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":25g8to0b said:
This really sucks. Sweezy is one of the toughest SOBs in the league. The few technique errors he made a game were greatly outweighed by the many positives he brought to his game. The offense became a bit softer today.

People's tendency to value pass protection over run protection (and their inability to tell when a sack is on the OL or the QB) is regrettable.

I really hope this doesn't become another instance of "Oh, crap, we really can get worse. Sweezy, come back!"

pehawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3jk0u2zn said:
hawknation2016":3jk0u2zn said:
After three years of below average play, the team needed to tear this unit down and build it back up with superior talent. Throwing millions of dollars at inconsistent players was never going to make this unit great. They need to develop the young talent they already have, scour the free agency market for veteran bargains, and draft extremely well. Then maybe we will have an offensive line we can be proud of.

I believe that is exactly what they are doing. I don't think we will be able to fully evaluate the success or failure of the project until the 2017 season. I believe that the ultimate goal is to have a stable of linemen on the practice squad who step up in their second and third year, then move on to their big second contract on other teams. Except for, perhaps, the LT position, I think the line will be a continually rotating group of guys on their first contract. Last year was the setup, the follow through starts this year, but it won't be until 2017 when we see if they can pull it off successfully.

They need somewhere to scrimp.

-bsd

Exactly. The entire OL is whatever CB is opposite Sherman. And I'm okay with that.

Largent80

Reaction score
HN 2016 posts way more than anyone around here, like in forever. Look at his join date and post count. And he know so much about EVERYTHING he post's in.
Dreamy.

kearly

Reaction score
pehawk":3nnovurb said:
I disagree entirely. You do need a lesson, Scottemojo. And I for one am glad HN2016 is here to give it.

It's fun seeing Scotte in smack-talk mode. I'm glad he's never gone after me I'm sure he'd tear me to shreds.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/TBBuccaneers/status/708002357758406656[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/JennaLaineBucs/status/708007096877518848[/tweet]

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/708010667266039808[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/TBBuccaneers/status/708009615460425728[/tweet]

sam1313

Reaction score
Is the league interest based on what Sweezy could be or what he was with the Hawks? Maybe under another line coach Sweezy can actually pass block, I don't know. Amazing how many failures he had at this last year though. I wasn't even that impressed with his run blocking last year. However, the guy has always been tough, mean and durable., and that does mean a lot, especially if he could be plugged into a more stable line.

Jville

Reaction score
Bashing linemen is a long standing tradition. It doesn't mean noisy critics actually know what they are talking about.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/710919670237278208[/tweet]

mrt144

Reaction score
Jville":1gc3d56z said:

Which is why I love our current O Line. If they're terrible, the Hawks have all the discretion in the world to fix it without worrying too much about the cap implications. Tabula Rasa

LegionHawk12

Reaction score
Great... now the Seahawks can move on from having his photo pop up on late night tv shows for being the creepiest man on the team.

LegionHawk12

Reaction score
Jville":242gfu66 said:

Wow, that's incredible. I can't believe it. I'm not sure what to think here....