Bucs sign OG J.R Sweezy

Fade

Reaction score
pehawk":2ktop77f said:
Fade":2ktop77f said:
pehawk":2ktop77f said:
Tom and Pete's running game is feast or famine, somewhat by design. It can make things look really good or really, really bad. Add in a QB who both holds the ball, and goes long, and you have a no good way to measure Hawks OL.

That is completely false. I watched a clinic video with Alex Gibbs when he was with ATL. (Tom Cable was with ATL too at the time.) And the #1 rule of the system is to never take a loss, at least always get positive yards.

I can see how you drew that conclusion though, because of how inconsistent the O-Line has been.

Every Seahawk fan should watch it. If you want to understand the Seahawks running game.
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/8/2/3215058/alex-gibbs-teaches-the-zone-blocking-scheme

Yes, I watched those too...back in 2006 on DVD. Chop blocks as a consistent technique leads to allt of linemen on the ground. That leads to alot of good and bad things.

Also, if we wanted an marked improvement you could always instill a Holmgren offense. That'd makes things alot better...but the pass game is also loss or big gain.

That is a lot of words to use when all you had to say "I was wrong".

mrt144

Reaction score
https://vine.co/v/e0KQx65a7BF
https://vine.co/v/e0Kt0mT56QD
2vE9EOQ.gif

ExcellentParallelAfricanaugurbuzzard.gif

I cant get the vines to work but believe me, they are bad. I'll try and mine for more but I was just googling sweezy whiffs.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I always liked Sweezy for what he was, warts and all. That said, no way in hell do I give him 7 Mill/yr.

pehawk

Reaction score
Haha...

By definition alot of linemen on the ground can lead to bad things. And what did you really expect from Gibbs "Hey, sometimes were going to lose yards, but that's cool"? Be real. By design it's less conservative/riskier than traditional power game.

Fade

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":1zlq6z5y said:
I always liked Sweezy for what he was, warts and all. That said, no way in hell do I give him 7 Mill/yr.
Exactly. A nice player to have on the team when he is making peanuts, but for big dollars, no thanks.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sweezy had a nasty side, ok a few penalties, but with no attitude you get looked at as soft, he would have Wilsons back while Okung would walk away. Screw the penalties in those situations. Better a 15 yarder then a 20 million dollar QB on IR from a cheap hit. Also our runs down field, who the hell do you think was blocking on the second level, Sweezy. One of the best in the league at hustle and getting hands on LB's and leading like a FB.

I will take a aggressive penalty that sends a message over a dumb not paying attention penalty like Offside every day.

Fade

Reaction score
pehawk":3pjom6b5 said:
Haha...

By definition alot of linemen on the ground can lead to bad things. And what did you really expect from Gibbs "Hey, sometimes were going to lose yards, but that's cool"? Be real. By design it's less conservative/riskier than traditional power game.

It's literally what Gibbs said in the vid. So you are not disagreeing with me, you are disagreeing with Gibbs.

Jville

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":16pqmlhp said:

Going from a conversion project to 6.5MIL/yr should be a powerful recruiting tool for Cable and company over the next couple of months. That's the follow on payoff.

pehawk

Reaction score
Fade":ojlysai6 said:
pehawk":ojlysai6 said:
Haha...

It's literally what Gibbs said in the vid. So you are not disagreeing with me, you are disagreeing with Gibbs.

Yes, I alluded to that in the post you referenced, via sarcasm. Fairly simple sarcasm. Maybe you disagree that ZBS is riskier than power/man scheme. If so, fair enough, pookie.

mrt144

Reaction score
Jville":2114nb5v said:
mrt144":2114nb5v said:
Jville":2114nb5v said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/707734523598000130[/tweet]

Congratulation JR Sweezy. And congratulations Tom Cable. It validates conversion projects as part of the mix.

Carry on!

I guess if we never want to sign a 2nd contract to OL yes, it validates it.

:177692: I get it. You do not like the program ..... that's just the way you feel.

I like the idea of it - treating OL as a dump stat and being capable of coaching dudes up but last seasons effort was terrible both in stats (relative to other teams and by themself) and in the results, especially the Rams games and almost the Lions.

And I think it could work but 2015 is poor supporting evidence. Novak starting at center apparently wasn't the right choice but it took what, 7 weeks to figure it out? I don't think we really have taken time to appreciate that maybe Max Unger was a pretty effing good. But here we are with some people lamenting the loss of JR FREAKING SWEEZY! Boggles the mind.

But dude, I would obviously be very happy if our coaching and drafting was good enough that we could churn the OL every single year and not miss a beat - I don't think that's the current situation though. Britt was a draft whiff.

I'm on this ride whether I like it or not, impotently whining about it on the internet is the least I can do.

Fade

Reaction score
pehawk":1v3lu6lj said:
Fade":1v3lu6lj said:
pehawk":1v3lu6lj said:
Haha...

Yes, I alluded to that in the post you referenced, via sarcasm. Fairly simple sarcasm. Maybe Alex Gibbs disagrees that ZBS is riskier than power/man scheme. If so, fair enough, pookie.

Fix'd bruh.

Jville

Reaction score
mrt144":30abn9vu said:
Jville":30abn9vu said:
mrt144":30abn9vu said:
Jville":30abn9vu said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/707734523598000130[/tweet]

Congratulation JR Sweezy. And congratulations Tom Cable. It validates conversion projects as part of the mix.

Carry on!

I guess if we never want to sign a 2nd contract to OL yes, it validates it.

:177692: I get it. You do not like the program ..... that's just the way you feel.

I like the idea of it - treating OL as a dump stat and being capable of coaching dudes up but last seasons effort was terrible both in stats (relative to other teams and by themself) and in the results, especially the Rams games and almost the Lions.

And I think it could work but 2015 is poor supporting evidence. Novak starting at center apparently wasn't the right choice but it took what, 7 weeks to figure it out? I don't think we really have taken time to appreciate that maybe Max Unger was a pretty effing good. But here we are with some people lamenting the loss of JR FREAKING SWEEZY! Boggles the mind.

But dude, I would obviously be very happy if our coaching and drafting was good enough that we could churn the OL every single year and not miss a beat - I don't think that's the current situation though. Britt was a draft whiff.

I'm on this ride whether I like it or not, impotently whining about it on the internet is the least I can do.

:177692: Maybe you missed my acknowledgement ...... I get it ..... I really really do ....... you do not like the program ..... that's just the way you feel.

mrt144

Reaction score
Jville":2tdr8w8p said:
:177692: Maybe you missed my acknowledgement ...... I get it ..... I really really do ....... you do not like the program ..... that's just the way you feel.

I need more and a cookie and a pat on the head and a 'go get em sport'

hawknation2016

Reaction score
After three years of below average play, the team needed to tear this unit down and build it back up with superior talent. Throwing millions of dollars at inconsistent players was never going to make this unit great. They need to develop the young talent they already have, scour the free agency market for veteran bargains, and draft extremely well. Then maybe we will have an offensive line we can be proud of.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2016":19pd2zz5 said:
After three years of below average play, the team needed to tear this unit down and build it back up with superior talent. Throwing millions of dollars at inconsistent players was never going to make this unit great. They need to develop the young talent they already have, scour the free agency market for veteran bargains, and draft extremely well. Then maybe we will have an offensive line we can be proud of.
iu

Pete alluded to this in his end of the season presser.

mrt144

Reaction score
hawknation2016":vnq3om5p said:

I would settle for serviceable like 2013's :p

Tempest_Crow

Reaction score
You glossed over the points I was trying to make so that you could repeat your schtick from previous posts. Here's the info:

Seattle Seahawks RB Marshawn Lynch is averaging 1.6 yards before contact, which ranks 47th of 50 running backs, according to ESPN Stats and Information.

http://fantasy.usatoday.com/news/marsha ... tact-early

Yea, that's GREAT run blocking.[/quote]

Not disputing your observation or opinion, but I have a question. How or why did Rawls do so well with the same Oline? Running technique? Change of scheme?

LolaRox

Reaction score
hawknation2016":39lm7fjr said:

I agree with you but unfortunately I have no confidence that this can get done with Cable leading the efforts and there is no evidence to suggest he can.

Latest posts