Business Week - 49ers' new stadium is a dud

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Does anything about Levi's stadium even matter? Shit, I will be there this year and I certainly don't give a crap about what their traffic, wireless, food, beer or piss pot access is like. I will be there with 3 Niner fans who are used to the area. Fans will still show up and do the same thing fans do. Overpay for Beer and Food. Some will have commute arrangements and problems with it, but the only time I am ever disappointed in a commute home from a game is when the Hawks lose. Something that just doesn't happen enough to be a problem.

I just think it is funny that there are people crying about it on news sites and blogs like it is some sort of crisis. If you go to a football game, even for a CRAP team it is likely going to be a similar experience no matter where you go. Congestion has been at every football game I have ever attended, even at Edward Jones when it looked like half the place was missing. I get to home games so early that I wouldn't know about bad traffic. Same thing with leaving. Chill out, keep a cooler with a few cold ones in the rig so you can hang out and listen to the radio broadcast while the others are all rushing to get out of Dodge.

I do feel for the Niner fans trying to use rail. That is a town where people use it a ton, probably worth the infrastructure to/from the stadium. I dig the Sounder when I take it, but if I want to get out on the field while pre-game is happening I need to get there pretty early to get a wristband. The Sounder does not help me there, but if I was just going to straight to the seat I would take the rail in every time. I don't dig on having to race to the Sounder to leave either.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SonicHawk":zhsnff9v said:
HOLY CRAP YOU GET WIFI AT YOUR STADIUM. GOOD THING YOU SPENT 1.3BILLION NINEROOS TO GET WIFI AT YOUR STADIUM. THIS IS TOTALLY NOT SOMETHING YOU COULD RETROFIT FOR A FEW MILLION. YOU ALSO CAN'T BUILD A NEW SCOREBOARD EITHER (oh wait, the Mariners just spent $10M on a new one).

This stadium is disgusting and I'd be embarrassed if that was my team's place to play. It has nothing to do with it being a SF team (AT&T is one of my top 3 MLB stadiums). The Niners and SC had an opportunity to create a playground for the tech elite, instead they built a sandbox for the homeless.

ORDERING FOOD ON AN APP. HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS CAN'T POSSIBLY BE DONE ANYWHERE ELSE.

Riiiiiiight.....

...but please tell me another place that has a 40GB connection, the ability to host all 68,500 people SIMULTANEOUSLY and...OBTW....has its own in stadium studio that will offer multiple angles of every replay...from your phone.

If your curious...no stadium in the NFL supports more than 20K simultaneous connections...and NONE offer replays.

...that's on top of ticketless entry, ordering food, DELIVERING food to your seat, etc and numerous other features.

...and that's JUST the wireless. I haven't even mentioned the restaurant, Team Store, Team Museum, and everything else.

...but wait...its sucks. Don't ever come here...and tell all your friends not to come either.

irocdave

Reaction score
Lol, since you lobbed it up there. Yea, all that stuffs really cool, you guys should have that installed in your new stadium. From the reports doesn't sound like they did.

Marvin49

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":3fxp2q7n said:
Does anything about Levi's stadium even matter? Shit, I will be there this year and I certainly don't give a crap about what their traffic, wireless, food, beer or piss pot access is like. I will be there with 3 Niner fans who are used to the area. Fans will still show up and do the same thing fans do. Overpay for Beer and Food. Some will have commute arrangements and problems with it, but the only time I am ever disappointed in a commute home from a game is when the Hawks lose. Something that just doesn't happen enough to be a problem.

I just think it is funny that there are people crying about it on news sites and blogs like it is some sort of crisis. If you go to a football game, even for a CRAP team it is likely going to be a similar experience no matter where you go. Congestion has been at every football game I have ever attended, even at Edward Jones when it looked like half the place was missing. I get to home games so early that I wouldn't know about bad traffic. Same thing with leaving. Chill out, keep a cooler with a few cold ones in the rig so you can hang out and listen to the radio broadcast while the others are all rushing to get out of Dodge.

I do feel for the Niner fans trying to use rail. That is a town where people use it a ton, probably worth the infrastructure to/from the stadium. I dig the Sounder when I take it, but if I want to get out on the field while pre-game is happening I need to get there pretty early to get a wristband. The Sounder does not help me there, but if I was just going to straight to the seat I would take the rail in every time. I don't dig on having to race to the Sounder to leave either.

Couldn't agree more with the bolded.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Iroc, next time you're going to change your post, do it more quickly so my quote of your post doesn't look completely off the wall. I have a hard enough time making sense. Don't need you making it any worse.

irocdave

Reaction score
Laloosh":3vcarboh said:
Iroc, next time you're going to change your post, do it more quickly so my quote of your post doesn't look completely off the wall. I have a hard enough time making sense. Don't need you making it any worse.

Lol, I changed mine because of a previous post. Sorry dude. I suck at typing.

Laloosh

Reaction score
irocdave":1yv0sh2c said:
Laloosh":1yv0sh2c said:

Lol, I changed mine because of a previous post. Sorry dude. I suck at typing.

No worries. Nobody reads my posts anyway.

Marvin49

Reaction score
irocdave":8lv03wsh said:
This thread cracks me up. Niner fans on typical autodefense about their precious and Hawk fans picking away at them. Like everything else, the truth is found in the middle. 1.2 billion is just crazy though. What was the LEED status achieved? You do know that basically the tax payers paid for a feather in the architects hat right? Green roof on a stadium? WTF, how much rain does that area get a year? Didn't see large roof areas in the pics.Green roof means it is uninhabitable and has plants on it. Plants, dirt, tree roots all things you want to keep off of a surface that is occupied below if your paying for it long term. LEED....LEED Silver, gold, platinum? How much rebar was sourced local? Better yet how much wood was sourced local, I mean FSC wood? Probably not much used in the finished product but half a forest was cut down for the concrete formwork materials.
Reuse of 85 % of claimed water, OK, back to my statement about little to no roof and very little rainfall. Is the storm water from the parking lots used by stadium parking being reused?

Do you know what is involved with LEED certification or are you just tossing this out because the PR pamphlet in your season ticket package mentioned it? I'm betting the latter....

Even the niner fans that try to not come across as passive aggressive cant hide it for long. The commonality of the webzone group ignorance complimented by arrogance always shines through. And you guys wonder why Hawk fans generally don't like you.

Just to answer a few of your questions that I know the answer to....

1) 1.2 Billion has a lot to do with simply being in the Bay Area. Expensive as hell to live here. Labor ain't cheap.

2) It's a LEED Gold Cert. It was achieved in a number of different ways.
a) Green Roof. Just lower cooling and heating costs for the Suite stack. Its only on the roof of the Suite Stack.
b) Solar Power. Solar panels in a number of different areas that make the stadium grid neutral...IE, if you add up the power it consumed on gamedays and compare it to the power it generates over a full year...it evens out (Assuming you already know this...just spelling it out).
c) Low consumption toilets and recycled water that drains through the field and back into the sprinklers.
d) Specific type of grass that requires less watering so saves even more water.

3) Dunno about rebar....I know it was all US Steel though.

4) Not sure where all of the wood came from, but a large portion of it used in suites and clubs etc was repurposed from a famous old Bay Area Hangar at Moffett Field.

Those are the ones I know the answer to. Not sure on the rest.

EDIT:
Just pics of the aforementioned hangar before and after the wood was removed. It was set to be demolished until a few rich Bay Area tech guys decided to preserve it for histories sake.

When I was a kid I remember Orion Sub Hunters taking off from Moffett. Pretty cool.

Moffett_Field_Hangar_1,_1992.jpg

Marvin49

Reaction score
irocdave":1ojm54hi said:
Lol, since you lobbed it up there. Yea, all that stuffs really cool, you guys should have that installed in your new stadium. From the reports doesn't sound like they did.

Reports are in regards to a soft opening that was meant as a test run. Anyone in IT will tell you sh*t never works right out of the gate. This is no different.

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":29ctzh7r said:
Sourdough #49":29ctzh7r said:
Guys place is terrible, I highly recommend any Hawks fans should do themselves a favor and just avoid the place like the plague.

*holds up mic*

How insecure does it make you feel to have the urge to try and prevent Seahawks fans from attending your home games in hopes of producing crowd noise that'll get the Seahawks offense to eventually realize they're playing a road game?

*Grabs Mic and puffs up shoulders and looks into the camera with intensity *

Don't you ever talk at me with a comment like that after that mediocre attempt to keep our Bay area faithful fans out of C-link for the NFC Championship.

*Hands mic back to Erin Roland Andrews*

Lulz... ok in all seriousness I am just glad the amount of violence should drop. I think all the would be thugs are priced out of the venue. Sadly I am in Connecticut and I doubt I'll make it out to Cali before it sinks into the ocean. Hope at some point I can make the trek. Perhaps once they put up the Montana Hotel I can find an excuse and lure my fiance to Napa for the vineyards and then out to Silicon Valley.

NorCal

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1sodsx4v said:
NorCal":1sodsx4v said:
Nor most of the Hawks fans and their annual predictions of the decline of the 49ers.

Now you're just being a hater when facts dictate otherwise. Go read the "Will the 49ers make the playoffs?" thread where almost everyone says yes and they ridicule the few that say no.

Sorry to burst your bubble. :)

FIne. Maybe not "most" of Hawks fans. But then you should acknowledge that not most of 9er fans think SEA will go 8-8.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I would think that Sundays should be fairly seamless, especially after car drivers wise up and take the train. Sucks if you want to tail gate though.

I would imagine the real pain in the ass will be Thursday and Monday night games. More local traffic, more commuters using the trains to go home...

But It has to be better than going to the stick.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Sourdough #49":39k30sf2 said:
*Grabs Mic and puffs up shoulders and looks into the camera with intensity *

LMAO

And on a serious note you do have a point regarding the violence factor. I never actually had anything happen to me at The Stick, but I have only been there twice and once was in 82. I did see some action going on between a Raider fan and a group of Niner fans outside (why a Raider jersey was worn during a Niners/Hawks game is beyond me) and that definitely wasn't pretty. The Raider fan damaged a couple Niner fans pretty good before his own bloody fate, but no law enforcement around to do anything. Dude got up and limped his way into the game.

Plus Hunter's point (I think) is near and driving through there made me want to get a CA conceal carry. I don't think the fellas there even cared about football as much as they did harassing other folks walking through.

rigelian

Reaction score
Marvin49":c3t4muqa said:
Sarlacc83":c3t4muqa said:
Marvin49":c3t4muqa said:
Sarlacc83":c3t4muqa said:
Marvin49 said:
You are so right. I don't know what I was thinking. Stay home. Worst Stadium in the NFL.

Straw man. You haven't actually given a real opinion of the stadium; it would have been easy to display your awe through description. If you really liked it, that would've been your first recourse.

I know. I'm so disappointed. You nailed it. I'm masking my disappointment by saying I hate the place.

You sir are smart one. Can't get anything past you.

It must embarrass you to have been so easily caught lying if this is how you're going to react. You could have at least tried to convey where the 1.3 billion went. But you couldn't even offer a token defense. Either you haven't been there or you've gotten your impression spoon fed to you.

Sad.

LOL....

uh.....what exactly am I lying about? I don't have the first clue what you're talking about.

EDIT: oh...misread. I just got that last part. Do you really wanna see my defense? If you want it I'll post it. I was just having fun with it to "convince" (not really) you guys to never buy a ticket and ensure nothing but red and gold in the stands. :)

You don't understand Seahawks fans. If it were a pit we'd go there just to laugh at the 49ers organization.

I've read various accounts about the stadium and my conclusions, not loud like the Clink, traffic and parking issues will be hard to fix, and the other issues are mostly resolvable.

Others refer to the stadium's appearance as nothing special (49ers fans at that), but that is something up to individual taste. As far as architectural style, I like CenturyLink better. You look at it and you know it's Seattle. Not so much Levi.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I don't care if it is a pit. I want to go just for the chance at being there for a potential win. I totally dig the walk out of a venue wearing a Seahawks jersey and cheering the boys as they walk off the field.

I have only done it once, but that was GREAT.

Marvin49

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":mhfaohsg said:
I don't care if it is a pit. I want to go just for the chance at being there for a potential win. I totally dig the walk out of a venue wearing a Seahawks jersey and cheering the boys as they walk off the field.

I have only done it once, but that was GREAT.

Damn. Hrmmm....uh.....

So what WOULD make you never attend a game? Just asking. No particular reason no ulterior motive whatsoever. Promise. Ok maybe not. Ok I'm lying. MY STADIUM!! MINE!!!

....my precious....

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2voalbw6 said:
Marvin49":2voalbw6 said:
So what WOULD make you never attend a game? Just asking.

Filling it with 49ers fans already puts you most of the way there.

Right...

Um, so yeah....I heard they won't allow anyone not from the state of California to buy a ticket. Crazy, right?

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":o2ln0h54 said:
I heard they won't allow anyone not from the state of California to buy a ticket. Crazy, right?

From, or in? Most of your fans wouldn't be eligible if the requirement was that you're FROM California. :lol:

Latest posts