OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
ZagHawk":3mxgqxhz said:
mikeak":3mxgqxhz said:
BlueBlood":3mxgqxhz said:
Im cheap even though i make very good money. Also I'm lurking on here everyday and even post sometimes!!! Did the OP assume only poor people that use the internet?

Not the OP but apparently the 2nd poster.....

No I'm saying the person who has $10-$40k of disposable income to spend on CSLs is probably not someone who lurks on internet forums. And I would consider having that kind of money to spend on CSLs being normal thus not being that being..."poor". If anything, that would be considered being "rich". If anything poor people (or those in poverty) don't have internet, middle income do and use it, and the 1% also do, but spend their time making money or living luxurious rather than wasting it on an internet forum. i.e. I don't think Paul Allen, Bill Gates, or heck even any of the Seahawks players ever visit these forums.

Hell is there anyone on here who has time to regularly post/read this forum makes over 300k/year? if so, then I want your job.

1) You don't need to make $300k / year to have $20k available.

2) Spending is different. One person eats lunch out every day and the other brings one to work - once you sum up these spending behaviors one person can be on internet forums and still have the savings to buy these.

OlyHawkFan

Reaction score
CSL = Charter Seat License, PSL = Personal Seat License, same think called by two different names.

http://seahawks.strmarketplace.com/Char ... enses.aspx

Is the official resale site for Seahawk CSL, just like Ticket Master is the official resale site for Seahawk Tickets.

I bought CSL's from the Seahawks directly many years ago, but they are all sold out now. So the only way to acquire them is it to purchase from someone is selling theirs. I sold a pair of 300 Loge CSL's last year on that site, the buyer and I went back and forth on offers and counter offers until we made a deal. I've also purchaseda pair on there before prices went crazy. You can look at e-bay also but I doubt you will find any better deals. Lastly you can try Craigslist. Best option is to just make a offer on the CSL's that are listed, if they don't like your offer with will just reject it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
mikeak":39um01qn said:
ZagHawk":39um01qn said:
mikeak":39um01qn said:
BlueBlood":39um01qn said:
Im cheap even though i make very good money. Also I'm lurking on here everyday and even post sometimes!!! Did the OP assume only poor people that use the internet?

No I'm saying the person who has $10-$40k of disposable income to spend on CSLs is probably not someone who lurks on internet forums. And I would consider having that kind of money to spend on CSLs being normal thus not being that being..."poor". If anything, that would be considered being "rich". If anything poor people (or those in poverty) don't have internet, middle income do and use it, and the 1% also do, but spend their time making money or living luxurious rather than wasting it on an internet forum. i.e. I don't think Paul Allen, Bill Gates, or heck even any of the Seahawks players ever visit these forums.

Hell is there anyone on here who has time to regularly post/read this forum makes over 300k/year? if so, then I want your job.

2) Spending is different. One person eats lunch out every day and the other brings one to work - once you sum up these spending behaviors one person can be on internet forums and still have the savings to buy these.

Getting them from the team tho they also offer financing options so the payment on the SBL is spread out over like 10 years...tho you are better paying early so you don't get hit with all the interest.

Its pricey, no doubt, but it doesn't require being rich.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
OlyHawkFan":2wf29p8u said:
CSL = Charter Seat License, PSL = Personal Seat License, same think called by two different names.

http://seahawks.strmarketplace.com/Char ... enses.aspx

Is the official resale site for Seahawk CSL, just like Ticket Master is the official resale site for Seahawk Tickets.

I bought CSL's from the Seahawks directly many years ago, but they are all sold out now. So the only way to acquire them is it to purchase from someone is selling theirs. I sold a pair of 300 Loge CSL's last year on that site, the buyer and I went back and forth on offers and counter offers until we made a deal. I've also purchaseda pair on there before prices went crazy. You can look at e-bay also but I doubt you will find any better deals. Lastly you can try Craigslist. Best option is to just make a offer on the CSL's that are listed, if they don't like your offer with will just reject it.

The only thing I will add is the best option is someone reasonable and smart listing on craigslist first then you do the sale privately on the STR market place. It cuts the fee from 10% to 5%.

Problem is the people are listing straight at the STR market place so you kind of get stuck.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
mikeak":15xv5k2m said:
ZagHawk":15xv5k2m said:
mikeak":15xv5k2m said:
BlueBlood":15xv5k2m said:

This reminds me of our house when I was in high school. We were solidly middle class, but we had a pool table and a hot tub. We never went on vacation, we ate out maybe once a month... it's all a matter of what you want to spend your money on.

I agree with some of the other analysis too... if you think you'll be able to sell the license later for similar money, and otherwise would have been buying second hand tickets at a sharp premium, well, you likely will save a LOT of money over time, which is basically like an investment type return.

I know in my section tickets pretty routinely go for $150-$250 more than face value, per game, and the playoffs can get pretty insanely expensive. If you bought a license for $15k, then saved $2k per season, and did that for a while, then sold the license later for $15k again, well, that would be pretty smart, you'd be getting basically a 13% return on your investment and only losing the rate of inflation which is probably about 3%, so a net gain of 10% which is as good as the stock market... and possibly less risky.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
^ finally someone that gets my logic. I had people say what if you pay off your house loan. I said 10-12% return is better than paying down a 4% interest loan (especially after accounting for tax deduction). They still didn't understand the math

Bocci - your numbers align 100% with my calculations and I have an agreement in place for tickets.

Now the issue is that my son said right away - 2 tickets what about grandpa....

Also agree that it is less risky than the stock market and also my p2p investing

Riley12

Reaction score
mikeak":189wiwex said:

I completely agree with this. While I also agree that there are probably very few, if any people in the $300k salary range posting on a message board of any type, you don't need an income in the 90th percentile to afford a PSL, season tickets or even a trip to the Super Bowl. It is all about priorities or how you use 'disposable' income.

As a family, we rarely go anywhere that isn't within the PNW, and may eat out once a week at most. We just went to the cinema last night for the first time since the last Hobbit movie came out. It is just our lifestyle, one that we settled into when my wife and I were less-than-dirt-poor grad students.

On the other hand, I know people that seem to be off to Mexico, Hawaii, Europe, ... every chance they get. That is what they save for and the joy they get from life. They are flabbergasted that we spend money to go to Seahawks games when they show them on television. My argument back is that they show Hawaii, Mexico and the Eiffel Tower on cable all the time, probably more than they show the Seahawks.

OrFan

Reaction score
Riley12":ehd8y9av said:
mikeak":ehd8y9av said:

I completely agree with this. While I also agree that there are probably very few, if any people in the $300k salary range posting on a message board of any type, you don't need an income in the 90th percentile to afford a PSL, season tickets or even a trip to the Super Bowl. It is all about priorities or how you use 'disposable' income.

As a family, we rarely go anywhere that isn't within the PNW, and may eat out once a week at most. We just went to the cinema last night for the first time since the last Hobbit movie came out. It is just our lifestyle, one that we settled into when my wife and I were less-than-dirt-poor grad students.

On the other hand, I know people that seem to be off to Mexico, Hawaii, Europe, ... every chance they get. That is what they save for and the joy they get from life. They are flabbergasted that we spend money to go to Seahawks games when they show them on television. My argument back is that they show Hawaii, Mexico and the Eiffel Tower on cable all the time, probably more than they show the Seahawks.

Very true, Garth.

Having had seats that were within "high five" range of yourself, I will also say that people on this board are just cheap.

After the 05 season I sold our CSL's for face value to our friends that now own them, and why I have been able to go to a few games sitting in the same seats I used to own. I listed them at face value that we paid when the stadium opened, and a lot of people here accused me of trying to be a rip off, they thought I should have given a discount to anyone here that was interested. I sold them for $3000 each and was treated like dirt for doing so. Karma for those who had to pay 3 to 4 times as much later.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
OrFan":2y5jcg91 said:
Riley12":2y5jcg91 said:
mikeak":2y5jcg91 said:

Very true, Garth.

Having had seats that were within "high five" range of yourself, I will also say that people on this board are just cheap.

After the 05 season I sold our CSL's for face value to our friends that now own them, and why I have been able to go to a few games sitting in the same seats I used to own. I listed them at face value that we paid when the stadium opened, and a lot of people here accused me of trying to be a rip off, they thought I should have given a discount to anyone here that was interested. I sold them for $3000 each and was treated like dirt for doing so. Karma for those who had to pay 3 to 4 times as much later.

Well and while we're bringing it up, there were a number of years there where the Seahawks had CSL still available at face value, admittedly in more expensive or less desirable parts of the stadium, no one was buying them, and if you owned CSL and were forced to sell for some reason you were pretty happy if you got out of it getting what you paid for them... depending on the seat location you might actually have to take a loss. It really isn't all that long ago that the CSL finally sold out, and then there became a market for the secondary sale of CSL... that and of course now that there's a long waiting list, buying a CSL is really the only way of getting season tickets in a timely fashion, at least it seems unlikely that things will change, given the size of the list. Then again, I remember 2006, it was nuts, everyone wanted to see games that year, but by 2008 or so, it wasn't nearly the same.

zelter

Reaction score
I do see your logic of buying the CSLs as an investment and save on buying marked up secondary tickets.
But as an investment they do seem like the price may have peaked. The team is coming off two superbowl appearances and great success. I like everyone else here hope the team will have a Patriot-like run where the team wins the division and makes the playoffs every year. If that happens the CSLs will pay-off long term. BUT if the team starts to slip and starts having some losing seasons the Investment will drop pretty fast just like the waiting list. All it takes is a couple of injuries and a poor draft and things can go sideways pretty quickly. Sorry to be negative but $12k a seat is a lot of money to dish out.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
zelter":15px4pxm said:
I do see your logic of buying the CSLs as an investment and save on buying marked up secondary tickets.
But as an investment they do seem like the price may have peaked. The team is coming off two superbowl appearances and great success. I like everyone else here hope the team will have a Patriot-like run where the team wins the division and makes the playoffs every year. If that happens the CSLs will pay-off long term. BUT if the team starts to slip and starts having some losing seasons the Investment will drop pretty fast just like the waiting list. All it takes is a couple of injuries and a poor draft and things can go sideways pretty quickly. Sorry to be negative but $12k a seat is a lot of money to dish out.

I agree and understand the risk but only spent $10k / seat :)

I figure - worst case they go down to about $5k. The NFL is bigger for every year that goes and while things are superhot now some of that will remain.

Then I look at the team and see RW, Sherman, Thomas, Richardsson (I think he is future star) and all the other players and I say to myself - sure an injury here or there and they don't have a great year BUT they will be in contention the next year for several years to come and that will keep prices up.

So the way I look at it over the next 5-6 years if the value goes down to half then I still come out positive. Maybe not much but enough

If the team continues to stay on top the price of the asset will rise

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Riley12":xc5kblt4 said:
mikeak":xc5kblt4 said:

Typical Garth.

Always spot on.