Cam Thomas To Visit Seahawks

Fade

Reaction score
It appears Seattle is finding an exploitative point in the market. Rubin last off-season was a 2-Gapping Lineman that could shine in a 1-Gap scheme. Now the two targets we've heard about (Thornton & Thomas) both come from 2-Gap schemes. I like it.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
themunn":18l9dlo7 said:
TeamoftheCentury":18l9dlo7 said:
themunn":18l9dlo7 said:
TeamoftheCentury":18l9dlo7 said:
from the link in the OP...

"he’s played every game over the last five seasons — and had 29 tackles while making 10 starts."

It's also incorrect, I looked at his NFL.com page

He played in every game over the last 5 years - but had tackles in his 2 years at the Steelers where he started 10 games. In the three years prior at the Chargers he started 15 games total and had 44 tackles.

By comparison, Mebane had 25 tackles in 25 starts over the past 2 years. I'm not saying he's going to be better than Mebane of course, only that A: the stat is wrong, and that B: you can't judge players at that position by their tackle numbers.

I agree that he's exactly the type of player we should be trying to bring in though. Probably for under 2.5m per year and as a rotational player. Then we find our future stars in the draft. The Bennetts and Avrils of this world are the exception, not the rule. FA is about your Clinton McDonalds, Tony McDaniels Anthony Hargroves and Jason Jones type players.
Sure. I got no problem with what you said. I'm not hinging my opinion on the possible move on whether or not certain stats are exactly accurate. Like you reiterated, he's the kind of player to bring in. That's all I'm saying rather than drawing distinctions without much or really any difference.

Sorry, the first half of my post was just drawing attention to the fact, the second half is kind of a completely separate post that wasn't supposed to draw any any of your commentary!
Yup, no problem here. :th2thumbs: Great to have some actual NFL news to be discussing.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2dzee89b said:
Tackle statistics for space eaters are misleading. Guys like Thomas take on blocks so guys like Bobby Wagner come in and finish the play.

He's not splashy, but neither was Mebane or Rubin last season.. yet .. they got the job done.

Exactly. Rob Staton pointed out in his blog that Pittsburgh limited opponents to 3.4 YPC when Thomas was on the field.
Every player has a role, and that role doesn't always show up on the stat sheet. A DT doesn't need to be Aaron Donald or JJ Watt to be doing their job well.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I've followed him since he was a high school recruit. He never lived up to potential at UNC or in San Diego. If we just need some one to be fat and get in the way then I guess he'd be okay at a very low price. Cam isn't going to pressure the QB much though unless some one hypnotizes him to think the football is a pizza.

McGruff

Reaction score
brimsalabim":q5k7hpul said:
I've followed him since he was a high school recruit. He never lived up to potential at UNC or in San Diego. If we just need some one to be fat and get in the way then I guess he'd be okay at a very low price. Cam isn't going to pressure the QB much though unless some one hypnotizes him to think the football is a pizza.

Our base tackles aren't asked to pressure the QB. They are asked to clog lanes.

I get the feeling Thomas was miscast in the 3-4 in Pittsburgh, much like Rubin. That doesn't mean he'll be a revelation like Rubin, but it may mean he can be a servicable base NT on 1st and 2nd down.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Agree he was miscast in Pitt. Thomas is a solid run stopper and 2 down DT. The Hawks are onto something here with Thomas and Thornton.

If they add one of the above 2 and Sowell the draft opens up considerably for the BAP regardless of need.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1t1vofym said:
Ron Burgundy":1t1vofym said:
Don't get excited. He ain't that good.

Like stated above, it should be noted that other players to receive the "he ain't that good" disclaimer when they first came to Seattle were Rubin, Clinton McDonald, Tony McDaniel, Chris Clemons, and more!

I'll reserve judgement until I see what they look like after Pete Carroll has had a chance to work with them.

Ha, remember the absolute meltdown that happened here when we traded Darryl Tapp for Clemons and a 4th rounder? :mrgreen:

Basis4day

Reaction score
McGruff":252pdckf said:

Quoting to stress this.

OP
OP
Ron Burgundy

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
brimsalabim":39gqibv4 said:

As mentioned, he is Just A Guy. On a good day he is adequate. Steeler D is more designed for the DL to occupy the OL and let the LB's make the plays, so the DL doesn't put up huge stats here, but regardless Thomas is what he is. if he can get a pay raise somewhere else then more power to him.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Ron Burgundy":2w1vzo05 said:
brimsalabim":2w1vzo05 said:

As mentioned, he is Just A Guy. On a good day he is adequate. Steeler D is more designed for the DL to occupy the OL and let the LB's make the plays, so the DL doesn't put up huge stats here, but regardless Thomas is what he is. if he can get a pay raise somewhere else then more power to him.
That said, what exactly did you think of Casey Hampton?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thornton is now signed by Dallas so this player appears to be the first candidate. Perhaps a few more tires will be kicked before a decision is made.

two dog

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1i2li48w said:
Ron Burgundy":1i2li48w said:
Don't get excited. He ain't that good.

Like stated above, it should be noted that other players to receive the "he ain't that good" disclaimer when they first came to Seattle were Rubin, Clinton McDonald, Tony McDaniel, Chris Clemons, and more!

I'll reserve judgement until I see what they look like after Pete Carroll has had a chance to work with them.

Speaking of Tony McDaniel, Is big amigo still out there in free agent land ?

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I'd prefer Al Woods. He could actually be very good here. Think a lot of Titans fans wanted him back. Forgot he spent time with us, though it was hardly memorable.

Note: At 310 pounds, Woods vert jumped 37" at his combine. Pretty cool.

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3c41lykt said:
I'd prefer Al Woods. He could actually be very good here. Think a lot of Titans fans wanted him back. Forgot he spent time with us, though it was hardly memorable.

Note: At 310 pounds, Woods vert jumped 37" at his combine. Pretty cool.

Damn that's impressive. I'd love to see him dunk, he'd bring some serious thunder.

That is some serious power being generated in his legs

Smellyman

Reaction score
Basis4day":1ac8ngvb said:
McGruff":1ac8ngvb said:

Quoting to stress this.

Well they want them to be lane cloggers, run suffers, but they would love them to be pass rushers too.