Cam Thomas To Visit Seahawks

McGruff

Reaction score
Smellyman":2na2vjf2 said:
Basis4day":2na2vjf2 said:
McGruff":2na2vjf2 said:
Our base tackles aren't asked to pressure the QB. They are asked to clog lanes.

Quoting to stress this.

Well they want them to be lane cloggers, run suffers, but they would love them to be pass rushers too.

Well, of course. But you just described maybe 2 or 3 DT's in the league right now.

It would be great to have Cortez Kennedy. But usually you are just happy to have Sam Adams.

Smellyman

Reaction score
McGruff":1xbhjaf3 said:
Smellyman":1xbhjaf3 said:
Basis4day":1xbhjaf3 said:
McGruff":1xbhjaf3 said:
Our base tackles aren't asked to pressure the QB. They are asked to clog lanes.

Quoting to stress this.

Well they want them to be lane cloggers, run suffers, but they would love them to be pass rushers too.

Well, of course. But you just described maybe 2 or 3 DT's in the league right now.

It would be great to have Cortez Kennedy. But usually you are just happy to have Sam Adams.

I know I was stating the obvious (I thought), but to say they aren't asked to be pass rushers and even stress that fact. It's completely false.

McGruff

Reaction score
Smellyman":2kgkxz92 said:
McGruff":2kgkxz92 said:
Smellyman":2kgkxz92 said:

I know I was stating the obvious (I thought), but to say they aren't asked to be pass rushers and even stress that fact. It's completely false.

Not completely or even remotely false. Player evaluation and acquisition is always based on priorities and compromises. It's based on the awareness that while the ideal candidate is someone who can do absolutely everything at an extremely high level, in the real world very few people fit that ideal. So the task is to determine what is the primary task that cannot be compromised and what are the secondary responsibilities that can be compromised.

In Seattle, base tackles MUST stop the run by occupying as many linemen as possible. They must be strong and stout and powerful. The coaches will compromise pass rush to get this from their base tackles. Pass rush is secondary.

That doesn't mean it doesn't matter, but it does mean that they will take the poor pass rusher, great run stuffer over the good pass rusher, good run stuffer. They will always err on the side of stopping the run. Always.

Captain

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has made light of the fact his name is Cam Thomas.... Maybe if it was Kam Thomas he'd be perfect for us!