Can Lockett hold up as slot receiver?

Reaction score
You can't hurt what u can't catch! I think Lockett would b fine in the slot! As far as putting up AB type numbers I doubt that tho totally different offense and although we had success in the past our short passing game is disappearing in this offense.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Lockett has a great skill for tracking deep balls and getting late separation. You don't take that off the table by moving him to the slot.
He also is great at finding the gap near the sideline on scramble drills.

I think you mix it up with him and give him snaps on outside and inside.

massari

Reaction score
scutterhawk":10n6l421 said:
IF Baldwin hangs up his cleats, the Seahawks will need to FIND a suitable replacement, and PRONTO!
Nelson Agholor of the Eagles seems to be available atm, but the problem is he carries a $9.3M cap hit for this season and it's the last year on his contract. Not sure they wanna go there even for a late rd pick, but they would get a comp pick back if he were to sign elsewhere after the season.

sdog1981

Reaction score
He is a slot receiver he is built like a slot receiver, he looks like a slot receiver. The crazy thing was how good he was playing on the outside.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":1sqlbp4x said:
Lockett is not a slot receiver. He could play a few snaps there sure but he's an outside and curl type WR.

He played 60% of the snaps inside when Baldwin was out last year, he'll be just fine inside.

You guys act like playcalling is rigid. It's not, it's fluid. Receivers line up inside, outside, off the line, on the line, in motion.............it's all fluid.

We shouldn't get fixated on who lines up where. Tyler's a very smart quick receiver that knows the entire playbook, so of course Pete and Schotty are going to lean on him to play the slot in certain formations. This will be especially true this year with so many rookie WR's still learning the playbook.

D

DomeHawk

I don't care where you line him up but I think playing him as an actual slot receiver would be a huge mistake.

mrt144

Reaction score
How do you get hurt running Gos and Posts from the slot? ;)

Largent80

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":bp6ulf1e said:
Largent80":bp6ulf1e said:
Lockett is not a slot receiver. He could play a few snaps there sure but he's an outside and curl type WR.

He played 60% of the snaps inside when Baldwin was out last year, he'll be just fine inside.

You guys act like playcalling is rigid. It's not, it's fluid. Receivers line up inside, outside, off the line, on the line, in motion.............it's all fluid.

We shouldn't get fixated on who lines up where. Tyler's a very smart quick receiver that knows the entire playbook, so of course Pete and Schotty are going to lean on him to play the slot in certain formations. This will be especially true this year with so many rookie WR's still learning the playbook.

Isn't that what I said? Except you redacted my post...are you (redacted)?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":o1djvrm8 said:
Sgt. Largent":o1djvrm8 said:
Largent80":o1djvrm8 said:

Isn't that what I said? Except you redacted my post...are you (redacted)?

I didn't redact your post, it's all you wrote.

Largent80

Reaction score
So?.....Lockett is NOT a true slot WR. In a league full of roll players he is a Swiss army knife. There is no reason at all to assign HIM as a slot receiver only when he's been an outside guy. Especially since he is slight in physicality.

My contention is play a few snaps there, move outside and let the rookies get bruised over the middle.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":15ams6fg said:
So?.....Lockett is NOT a true slot WR. In a league full of roll players he is a Swiss army knife. There is no reason at all to assign HIM as a slot receiver only when he's been an outside guy. Especially since he is slight in physicality.

My contention is play a few snaps there, move outside and let the rookies get bruised over the middle.

He's both ...and we will need him as both this year. Since when can't a small, quick smart receiver with great hands play inside?

It's silly to pigeonhole him as only an outside receiver, as evident by him playing inside plenty last year with success.

toffee

Reaction score
Lockett had success playing slot and outside, he can do it all. Not sure at which position he was most productive though, anyone knows?

Tical21

Reaction score
The concern for me is that we use the post a lot for crossers and skinny posts, and he hasn't been able to consistently win those routes. His best routes are deep posts and post corners, and you don't get to run those from the slot.

mrt144

Reaction score
Tical21":2xex0jir said:
The concern for me is that we use the post a lot for crossers and skinny posts, and he hasn't been able to consistently win those routes. His best routes are deep posts and post corners, and you don't get to run those from the slot.

Imagination is dangerous though.

Largent80

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3emnqvqi said:
Largent80":3emnqvqi said:

He's both ...and we will need him as both this year. Since when can't a small, quick smart receiver with great hands play inside?

It's silly to pigeonhole him as only an outside receiver, as evident by him playing inside plenty last year with success.
Crap dude, can you actually read an entire post before responding?...Your response WAS my post.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I just finished rewatching the Vikings game where Doug was a scratch before the game. Below is how the Seahawks used Lockett in the first half with no Doug Baldwin. There are plenty of ways to skin a cat in the NFL and we only used him in the traditional "Edelman slot" role on one comeback route. If we only need something short then we're a lot more likely to send him on sweeps and out routes than we are crossing routes into traffic.

X right
Z left
Y left motion - flat out
Z right - go (wide open)
Y left motion - flat out (catch)
Z right motion - flat out
Z right - post
Y left motion - flat out
Y right
Z right motion - flat out
Z left motion - out (catch)
Y right - sweep handoff (1 yard)
Y right - go (sort of open)
Z left
Z right
X right
X left - go
Z left
Y right - corner
Z left motion
X right - go
Y left - comeback
X left - go (wide open)
Z right - flat (catch)
Y left motion
Y left
Y right
Z right
Z right

D

DomeHawk

Largent80":1cufkfwf said:
Sgt. Largent":1cufkfwf said:
Largent80":1cufkfwf said:

Crap dude, can you actually read an entire post before responding?...Your response WAS my post.

So? You're upset that he agrees with you?

That's rarefied air around here dude, lol.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":1w9egdd1 said:
Sgt. Largent":1w9egdd1 said:
Largent80":1w9egdd1 said:

Maybe don't start off your take with "Lockett is not a slot receiver" and I won't get confused next time.

A couple times in the slot? Only some times? He's not a slot receiver? He's not a traditional slot receiver (what does that even mean) but then he's a Swiss army knife?

Yeah dude I'm the one who's all over the road and confused.

We're saying the same thing, I'm the only one who's being clear and not putting limitations on how often he can play in the slot. How often should he be in the slot? As often as we need him to be, that's the answer.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ue7jqthp said:
Largent80":ue7jqthp said:
Sgt. Largent":ue7jqthp said:
Largent80":ue7jqthp said:

Maybe don't start off your take with "Lockett is not a slot receiver" and I won't get confused next time.

A couple times in the slot? Only some times? He's not a slot receiver? He's not a traditional slot receiver (what does that even mean) but then he's a Swiss army knife?

Yeah dude I'm the one who's all over the road and confused.

We're saying the same thing, I'm the only one who's being clear and not putting limitations on how often he can play in the slot. How often should he be in the slot? As often as we need him to be, that's the answer.

Slot receivers ON THIS TEAM are expected to block for the run game, Locketts size makes this prohibitive or risky, yeah he can run routes there but it stifles some other offensive aspects, Pete likes the run game, he wants blocking.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
With core we have wouldnt be surprised to see him drop into slot position on certain plays but not run slot routes but more to open other areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk