Can Shaq play nickel?

getnasty

Reaction score
Seems fast but not quick enough to play inside just wondering what others think?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
getnasty":opqdkry1 said:
Seems fast but not quick enough to play inside just wondering what others think?
You need discipline to play in the slot, which he doesn't have. You no longer have the sideline as the extra defender and you're often on an island and again, that island doesn't have a wall (sideline) on one side. Zone has other complications as well. True that you may need to come off your initial read as a CB1, particularly if theh run flood concepts at you, but there is all sorts of traffic in the slot crossing your face. They're different positions in some big ways, but I don't think Shaq is mentally sharp enough for slot, let alone outside. Dude was one brain fart after another last year.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
He would be worse at nickel imo.

I'd be curious to see him and Flowers flip sides. If Shaq can't play on the left side, it's time to move on

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Shaq isn't quick enough for the slot.

His lack of development last season - especially when being coached by the renowned "CB Whisperer" himself, Pete Carroll - was a MAJOR letdown.

Not only lack of progress, but he is kind of a liability tbh. He had one great game (Chicago) where he had two picks, but other than that...not a lot to hang a hat on. He only had 8 passes defensed all SEASON. That was half of what he had playing in his rookie year (of course, he got picked on more so more opportunities). It's not like QBs are scared to throw his way, either.

We need a huge bounce forward from him in his third season. I have to wonder if having his twin brother around was too much of a distraction? I don't know. His brother didn't exactly set the world on fire, either, although he gets a pass being a rookie and kind of not having a natural position fit in the NFL.

toffee

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1bgwq8ub said:

His lack of development last season - especially when being coached by the renowned "CB Whisperer" himself, Pete Carroll - was a MAJOR letdown.

Not only lack of progress, but he is kind of a liability tbh. He had one great game (Chicago) where he had two picks, but other than that...not a lot to hang a hat on. He only had 8 passed defensed all SEASON. That was half of what he had playing in his rookie year (of course, he got picked on more so more opportunities). It's not like QBs are scared to throw his way, either.

We need a huge bounce forward from him in his third season. I have to wonder if having his twin brother around was too much of a distraction? I don't know. His brother didn't exactly set the world on fire, either, although he gets a pass being a rookie and kind of not having a natural position fit in the NFL.

May be returning him to his old position, and move Tre Flowers to the left side.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
toffee":2cbxm5dp said:
FlyingGreg":2cbxm5dp said:

Not only lack of progress, but he is kind of a liability tbh. He had one great game (Chicago) where he had two picks, but other than that...not a lot to hang a hat on. He only had 8 passed defensed all SEASON. That was half of what he had playing in his rookie year (of course, he got picked on more so more opportunities). It's not like QBs are scared to throw his way, either.

May be returning him to his old position, and move Tre Flowers to the left side.

Might be worth a shot. I have way more faith in Flowers at this point.

Elemas

Reaction score
I'd like to see him and Tre switch. Shaq's sophomore season was a tremendous letdown.

I don't want a CB in our first two picks but...some healthy competition may be necessary to relight the fire..

chris98251

Reaction score
You have a player still learning how to play CB in Flowers, you want to mess him up too? Btter to take time with Shaq and have him get comfortable and adapt. a CB is about confidence and just playing and reading, if he has had to switch he also has had to work on his steps and back peddle looking the other way. Pete system is all about their technique.

Better to leave Flowers and have Shaq challenge him if someone steps up to play the Left.

depecheSeahawk

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2r0bj0f9 said:
I'd be curious to see him and Flowers flip sides. If Shaq can't play on the left side, it's time to move on

I was saying that to my brother during last season. Maybe going back to where he started will help.

lukerguy

Reaction score
He's still so young and could bounce back but I believe you have to draft a CB in the top 4 rounds to compete for the position. If Shaq wins it, then great, but if someone like FLowers 2.0 steps up in his spot, i think the team could be better off.

Shaq got beat on a go route when we had the lead late in his first season, and I thought to myself, "this kid just doesn't have the make up".. If you've been playing football your whole life, and you can't understand situational football enough to know not to get beat over the top... you've got a problem.

vigilantgrrl

Reaction score
If he can't improve over the next 2 years....he will not get a second contract. I was underwhelmed with him when he was a rookie, and the he got worse in his second year.
What pisses me off....was that he was drafted by us in a year loaded with great secondary prospects. Same thing with Tedric Thompson.......We could have had Budda Baker.....Instead we got at the best "serviceable" picks in Thompson and ShaQ....and I am afraid that we blew it in this year's draft which is the best draft for DE prospects in years.....

dopeboy206

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":8j26jo5s said:
If he can't improve over the next 2 years....he will not get a second contract. I was underwhelmed with him when he was a rookie, and the he got worse in his second year.
What pisses me off....was that he was drafted by us in a year loaded with great secondary prospects. Same thing with Tedric Thompson.......We could have had Budda Baker.....Instead we got at the best "serviceable" picks in Thompson and ShaQ....and I am afraid that we blew it in this year's draft which is the best draft for DE prospects in years.....
2 years is too long. He better come through this upcoming season. Dudes been ass all year last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mad Dog

Reaction score
You guys have been spoiled. Griffin is mediocre. Flowers is mediocre. Not much different than Thurmond or Maxwell. We seem to expect Sherman level competence from mid round picks. That’s a once in a lifetime scenario.

Given today’s rules, DBs are much less important. DL is where it’s at. Worry about that position group. The Eagles SB victory demonstrated that building great lines is more important than the fast guys behind them.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3rordmss said:
You guys have been spoiled. Griffin is mediocre. Flowers is mediocre. Not much different than Thurmond or Maxwell. We seem to expect Sherman level competence from mid round picks. That’s a once in a lifetime scenario.

Given today’s rules, DBs are much less important. DL is where it’s at. Worry about that position group. The Eagles SB victory demonstrated that building great lines is more important than the fast guys behind them.
Griffin is mediocre, anyone who doesn’t see that is lying [emoji23]

chris98251

Reaction score
Curious as to how many here dismissing him have played Corner and then asked to switch sides?

Get back to me when you have done that and tell me how well you have done while learning a new technique or having to change your steps 180 degrees.

Shaq I think will be fine with a year of time, off season and getting confidence. All the skill in the world doesn't matter as a CB if you don't have confidence as well.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
dopeboy206":1wcsvx50 said:
Mad Dog":1wcsvx50 said:

Griffin is mediocre, anyone who doesn’t see that is lying [emoji23]

And from a 3rd round pick should we not expect mediocrity? Half the first round corners drafted end up being mediocre.

Sherman spoiled us.

Griffin is not bad but he's not yet good. Maybe he'll be good this year. I'd rather hope for that than rag on the guy.

Latest posts