Canfora reporting Payton wants to move on from ME3

keasley45

Reaction score
Actually, Denver's offensive line isn't all that bad. Ahead of Week 9, PFF has them ranked 13th in pass blocking, 10th in run blocking:

And Russ was still pummelled. This is what supporters dont get. Pete could have sunk half the cap into the O line and it wouldnt have mattered. Russ cant read defense. It would have been wasted and he'd have been running Russball anyway.

And, i think i read somewhere in another Denver based article, speculating that he will be benched after their upcoming loss, that despite numbers (tds) that looked 'not terrible' against the Chiefs, that 9 of the 12 passes he completed were caught behind the line of scrimmage. That means that for the entirety of the game, he completed 3 passes that travelled passed the LOS. How do you even do that?

Payton is used to Brees running his ship. Not this. Can you imagnie a universe where Brees puts up the numbers Russ has wit Payton? I dont think T Hill was as bad as that when he started for SP. J Winston certainly wasnt.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Actually, Denver's offensive line isn't all that bad. Ahead of Week 9, PFF has them ranked 13th in pass blocking, 10th in run blocking:

Wait, so you’re telling me that Russell Wilson’s sack rate CAN’T be blamed on the offensive line? 🤯

RiverDog

Reaction score
Wait, so you’re telling me that Russell Wilson’s sack rate CAN’T be blamed on the offensive line? 🤯
LOL!

Yeah, unless one wants to discredit PFF, the gold standard when it comes to analyzing raw player and position group performances, it's a little hard to rationalize Russell's very high sack rate and his offensive line's ranking as being something other than that of his own doing.

The more likely cause of Wilson's high sack rate is his time to throw number (TT), especially when you contrast his age, turns 35 this month, and that of those quarterbacks in that same TT range, ie Deshaun Watson 26, Justin Fields 24, Jalen Hurts 25, et al.

GemCity

Reaction score
Summary:

At one point, most of us liked Russ. By the he was traded, most of us disliked Russ.

I fall into the latter…mostly because he’s a goofball and hindered the Hawks for several seasons before they finally unloaded him.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Summary:

At one point, most of us liked Russ. By the he was traded, most of us disliked Russ.

I fall into the latter…mostly because he’s a goofball and hindered the Hawks for several seasons before they finally unloaded him.
When he first broke in with us, I loved the guy. I have a friend of a friend who had his 6 year (?) old son in Children's Hospital in Seattle during Russell's rookie year when all of a sudden, in walks RW, by himself, to serve a meal to their son. He wasn't doing it for the publicity, he genuinely wanted to do something to help. It's not something I could handle, having to look at those terminally ill kids. That seems so far away now.

I wouldn't characterize my feelings towards Russell as disliking him, at least not when you contrast him to his peers. There are still plenty of other athletes out there who evoke a much stronger, negative response from me than RW, Aaron Rodgers and Deshaun Watson to name a couple. The way I would put it is that I have lost a lot of respect for him, that I think he's disingenuous, that stardom went to his head and that he's become too big for his britches.

Although I don't dislike him for it, he's a strange dude, talks in cliches, parades his old lady around in a skanky dress, names his child "Win", doing knee highs on a flight while his teammates slept, and so on. It's the type of behavior that is more comical than it is objectionable. And he seems so tone deaf about it.

As far as his football ability goes, I agree that he hindered the Hawks in his final few years with us, that he does not have the ability for self-reflection, that he has not taken steps to adjust his play to compensate for his diminishing skill set, and that we were wise to trade him.

keasley45

Reaction score
I dislike how he went about slandering the team, throwing his teammates and coaches under the bus, etc, etc, etc. That's Russ the person.

Russ, the player I began to question after watching him on Monday night in person against the Lions in 2016. And with the exception of 2019 and the start of 2020 the guy that I was amazed to see just not executing plays that Monday night is the same dude I see today. Difference is, his coach makes him check it down and run the play instead of running improv all day. Schotty created the absolute best version of Russ in 2019. Best thing to ever happen to #3.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
I liked him early on and expected a gradual progression of play at the necessary things QB have to be able to do. I remember thinking that if he could just get to the point where he could be effective on 3rd down throwing the ball, we'd be scary. It never happened, and for a few of those early years it was easy to pin the blame on the poor O-Line performance. RWs people co-opted that narrative hard in the ensuing years. It's easy to convince fans. They only see the broadcast angle. They don't know what progressions are let alone which are the QBs 1st read from play to play or which side of the field the first read should be according to defensive alignment. So, it was easy to feed that beast.

I went from loving Russell early, to being Luke warm on him around the first contract extension, to absolutely loathing him when it was clear his operation was in full propaganda mode. I'd put it officially at the time he started acting like Rico Suave. As soon as he let his inner douche bag out, he was on the hate list. I personally think he's a terrible person. Everything from day 1 has been carefully scripted to mold the image. He doesn't have a genuine bone in his body

NINEster

Reaction score
I liked him early on and expected a gradual progression of play at the necessary things QB have to be able to do. I remember thinking that if he could just get to the point where he could be effective on 3rd down throwing the ball, we'd be scary. It never happened, and for a few of those early years it was easy to pin the blame on the poor O-Line performance. RWs people co-opted that narrative hard in the ensuing years. It's easy to convince fans. They only see the broadcast angle. They don't know what progressions are let alone which are the QBs 1st read from play to play or which side of the field the first read should be according to defensive alignment. So, it was easy to feed that beast.

I went from loving Russell early, to being Luke warm on him around the first contract extension, to absolutely loathing him when it was clear his operation was in full propaganda mode. I'd put it officially at the time he started acting like Rico Suave. As soon as he let his inner douche bag out, he was on the hate list. I personally think he's a terrible person. Everything from day 1 has been carefully scripted to mold the image. He doesn't have a genuine bone in his body

I like to joke that Tua is the actual nice guy, underrated smaller QB that Wilson wishes he could be.

After seeing how much of a bond Richard Sherman has had with Seahawk and 49er teammates, his disgust with Wilson just HAD TO BE for the right reasons.

One of the few joys in the Niner down years was reading that Wickersham article where Wilson was quoted as saying "YOU ******* SUCK!!" to Wilson after picking him off in practice.

And BTW, for Sherman to go from loathed to beloved in the Niner fanbase just goes to show you what really matters in the end with football players and people.

Wilson could never.

Xxx

Reaction score
Russ is quietly having a great year 16 touchdowns, 4 picks, 102 passer rating etc lol. This anti Russ stuff is goofy. Hell he's having a much better year than Geno with a worse supporting cast. There are probably 3-4 guys playing objectively better or on par as Russ this year. I just don't get this obsession with him or seeing him fail. I have my theories why its the case
I would have been glad to keep Russ. I actually got to talk to John Clayton on air shortly before he passed away and asked him if the hawks should trade Russ and he said no way. I think the broncos suck and Wilson doesn’t fit in that well, but russ doesn’t suck at least at football. Geno sucks

keasley45

Reaction score
I would have been glad to keep Russ. I actually got to talk to John Clayton on air shortly before he passed away and asked him if the hawks should trade Russ and he said no way. I think the broncos suck and Wilson doesn’t fit in that well, but russ doesn’t suck at least at football. Geno sucks
Clayton was the biggest Russ fan boy. Dave Wyman would always get him to trip over himself trying to defend ME3 against virtually any criticism.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
I'm glad Russ is gone. Seattle needed a change because RussBall isn't sustainable.

I'm looking forward to seeing PC/JS chose the next QB, and no I don't mean a 1st round guy. I think they'll pick someone in the 2nd/3rd round and we'll all be surprised how good the QB is. Everyone is fixated on pie in the sky guys like Penix. Not gonna happen here.