Cap concerns going into 2018

scrummymustard

Reaction score
Jeremy517":17p3enjr said:
For people that want to bring Graham back, realize that he'd probably have to be tagged (and thus paid the tag amount) in order for that happen. I doubt he has much interest in re-signing with the offense that the Seahawks run.

Good point, but that certainly won't happen. The TE tag amount for Graham is $15.6 million in 2018.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
scrummymustard":3rhjz9tu said:
Jeremy517":3rhjz9tu said:
For people that want to bring Graham back, realize that he'd probably have to be tagged (and thus paid the tag amount) in order for that happen. I doubt he has much interest in re-signing with the offense that the Seahawks run.

Good point, but that certainly won't happen. The TE tag amount for Graham is $15.6 million in 2018.

That was my point. People that want to bring him back need to be aware of what it will probably take.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Don't bring back anyone and cut

Lane
Sherman
S Richardson
P Richardson

Resign:

Graham

Load up on a proven running back or draft one in first round OR Best available player.

Rebuild

AgentDib

Reaction score
We're nowhere near the jam that the Saints ended up in ($60mil dead money).

I do agree that we should stop kicking the can down the road in the pursuit of a fictional closing window. The Saints thought they were doing that in 2014, it didn't work out, and they had to dump a lot of their team and waste a couple of seasons. Now that their cap is under control they are 7-2 this season because they still have Drew Brees and Sean Payton, and added some youth who are doing well in Ramcyzk, Lattimore, Kamara and Williams. Drafting well will extend any window indefinitely while drafting poorly cannot be overcome by mortgaging your future via the cap.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
scrummymustard":r7ybrkvj said:
Jeremy517":r7ybrkvj said:

Where are you getting that figure from? That looks like the WR number not the TE number which in 2017 was at ~9.8 mil.

scrummymustard

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":n18th5so said:
scrummymustard":n18th5so said:
Jeremy517":n18th5so said:

Where are you getting that figure from? That looks like the WR number not the TE number which in 2017 was at ~9.8 mil.

The franchise tag amount is the greater of 1. the actual TE tag amount (around 10mil in 2018) or 2. 120% of the prior years cap hit ($10mil *120% =$12 mil). However, for this purpose, you have to include back the signing bonus proration from NO before he was traded. He had a $12 million signing bonus over 4 years, so $3 mil a year in proration.

2017 $10 mil cap hit + $3 mil proration= $13 mil * 120% = $15.6 million to Franchise > $10 mil TE tag.

kidhawk

Reaction score
scrummymustard":1vfdlhhe said:
Milehighhawk":1vfdlhhe said:
scrummymustard":1vfdlhhe said:
Jeremy517":1vfdlhhe said:

The franchise tag amount is the greater of 1. the actual TE tag amount (around 10mil in 2018) or 2. 120% of the prior years cap hit ($10mil *120% =$12 mil). However, for this purpose, you have to include back the signing bonus proration from NO before he was traded. He had a $12 million signing bonus over 4 years, so $3 mil a year in proration.

2017 $10 mil cap hit + $3 mil proration= $13 mil * 120% = $15.6 million to Franchise > $10 mil TE tag.

I may be wrong, and I'm sure there are league and player lawyers that would argue this both ways, but as his signing bonus pro-rated the day he was traded, it no longer counts, so he only has his $7.9 million base salary and his $2.1 million in bonuses making a 120% increase = $12 million.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Jimmy Graham has had his payday. The market is very different today for TEs he is probably looking at 6mil over 3 years for his next contract. I got this from a former agent who is now a writer for CBSsports.com so take it for what it is worth. Sounds more plausible than his current deal.

scrummymustard

Reaction score
kidhawk":9zg8m1s8 said:
scrummymustard":9zg8m1s8 said:
Milehighhawk":9zg8m1s8 said:
scrummymustard":9zg8m1s8 said:

I may be wrong, and I'm sure there are league and player lawyers that would argue this both ways, but as his signing bonus pro-rated the day he was traded, it no longer counts, so he only has his $7.9 million base salary and his $2.1 million in bonuses making a 120% increase = $12 million.

The signing bonus proration gets added back in, 100% positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scrummymustard

Reaction score
HawkerD":1p0o3n6m said:
Jimmy Graham has had his payday. The market is very different today for TEs he is probably looking at 6mil over 3 years for his next contract. I got this from a former agent who is now a writer for CBSsports.com so take it for what it is worth. Sounds more plausible than his current deal.

I think it's too early to tell honestly, how he finishes the year will be a large factor.

I would be surprised if he only received $6 per annum because of the recent TE deals I stated earlier in the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scrummymustard

Reaction score
kidhawk":37ldgvoo said:
scrummymustard":37ldgvoo said:
Milehighhawk":37ldgvoo said:
scrummymustard":37ldgvoo said:

Per the CBA (article 10):

"For the purposes of this Article, “Salary” means the total of the Para- graph 5 Salary (reduced proportionately if the contract is entered into after the first regular season game), roster and reporting bonuses, pro-rata portion of signing bonus, and other payments to players in compensation for the playing of professional football for the applicable year of the player’s most recently negotiated Player Contract, except for performance bonuses other than roster and reporting bonuses. Salary shall also in- clude any unrepaid loans made, guaranteed or collateralized by a Team or its Team Affiliate to a player or Player Affiliate. “Prior Year Salary” means the Salary (as defined in this Subsection) for the last League Year of the player’s most recently negotiated Player Contract."

Since the contract has not been changed, just merely transferred to the hawks, the SB gets added in. Also, it appears that the $100k workout bonus gets subtracted out, therefore it would be $12.9 million * 120% = $15.48 million to tag 88.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
scrummymustard":2njac9t7 said:
kidhawk":2njac9t7 said:
scrummymustard":2njac9t7 said:
Milehighhawk":2njac9t7 said:

Per the CBA (article 10):

"For the purposes of this Article, “Salary” means the total of the Para- graph 5 Salary (reduced proportionately if the contract is entered into after the first regular season game), roster and reporting bonuses, pro-rata portion of signing bonus, and other payments to players in compensation for the playing of professional football for the applicable year of the player’s most recently negotiated Player Contract, except for performance bonuses other than roster and reporting bonuses. Salary shall also in- clude any unrepaid loans made, guaranteed or collateralized by a Team or its Team Affiliate to a player or Player Affiliate. “Prior Year Salary” means the Salary (as defined in this Subsection) for the last League Year of the player’s most recently negotiated Player Contract."

Since the contract has not been changed, just merely transferred to the hawks, the SB gets added in. Also, it appears that the $100k workout bonus gets subtracted out, therefore it would be $12.9 million * 120% = $15.48 million to tag 88.

Interesting and a bit more complicated than I first thought. If true, its a no brainier that the tag wouldn't be used on him. Thanks for the additional details. If I were to guess, based on his age, a new deal might be somewhere around the 8 mil per he is at today, but of course that is just a wild guess.

purpleneer

Reaction score
QuickLightning":17t2wli2 said:
I think Jimmy is an easy decision to let walk. He's been a lot better recently, but no where near worth $9 million.
I'd amend this with the qualifier "to the Seahawks." He and his agent had a case in their argument that he should have been considered as a WR. His value goes down when used more like a TE. As much as he has been productive in stretches with the Hawks, I remember that the 2 years prior to his arrival were the most successful and the SB win was with a lesser RW and an old Zach Miller as the main TE (yes, dominated by the defense, but with an offense that more consistently helped make things easier for the D). I'd be more flexible in valuing him for this team if the staff were less stubborn and went away from Cable and his stale run-game principles and valued moving the chains instead of being so eager to try for the big play downfield.
I think his age and history hurt his overall value, but there's no doubt in my mind that he is worth more to another team than he is to the Hawks.