Cardale Jones is a fool...

JSeahawks

Reaction score
pmedic920":sy0dntv0 said:
I just listened to the press conference.
I am 100% impressed with the kid.
I think he truly made the best decision for him and his family.
Did not expect it at all but I'm impressed.

Be a backup in college or be a backup in the nfl and get paid for it and start to learn the nfl game. Personally I think he made the wrong decision, but more power to him.

Especially surprising when you consider this tweet from a few years ago. One of the best tweets ever.

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Asse ... 370329.png

pehawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":im1c6hf1 said:
pmedic920":im1c6hf1 said:

Be a backup in college or be a backup in the nfl and get paid for it and start to learn the nfl game. Personally I think he made the wrong decision, but more power to him.

Especially surprising when you consider this tweet from a few years ago. One of the best tweets ever.

In hindsight that tweet was pure trolling.

I also feel the same way, J. I always think someone should take care of themselves financially (if I was OSU RB Eliot, I'd sit next year), but if dude wants to go back to school...good for him. I mean, he does get to party and slay co-eds, right? Nothing wrong with that, at all.

Hopefully he meets Pmedic's daughter.

kearly

Reaction score
Must have gotten word for Urbs that he will keep the starting job. Anyone think those other QBs are better than him? I don't.

Interesting to me that the guy who made maybe the dumbest sounding athlete tweet ever actually turned out to be a smart QB.

This is a guy who's made three collegiate starts and is only a RS sophomore, playing some of the best teams in college football in ultra high leverage games, and yet he was showing the ability to make multiple reads with ease when he wants to and using his mobility to buy time to throw. He does stare down his first read too often, but that could very well be by the design of the offense. Meyer is a smart coach, he wouldn't put too much on Jones' plate in such extreme circumstances.

I buy the hype. There is a lot of natural talent in this QB. He has lot to learn it goes without saying, but the natural stuff is all there. He'll never be Aaron Rodgers but he could be a good enough QB in the NFL.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I was impressed by the value that he put on his education.

I also highly respect him going to that school for the press conference, I'm sure that a lot of young people heard what he said ("my education will take me farther than my athletic ability")

Awesome msg for young school kids to hear.
I hope he has a great year next year and ends up a 1st rounder.

Rat

Reaction score
kearly":p32wbtzk said:
Must have gotten word for Urbs that he will keep the starting job. Anyone think those other QBs are better than him? I don't.
As impressive as Cardale was in those last three games, I just don't see how you can bench JT Barrett if he's recovered. Cardale was amazing, but I think Barrett was on his own level by the end of the season. I imagine it'd also be difficult to keep a dynamic threat like Braxton Miller off the field, although I think there's a decent chance he'll transfer.

Another thing to consider too, is that Barrett was the only QB of the three that Urban himself recruited. Braxton and Cardale were Tressel's guys. I don't think it'll consciously be a deciding factor, but Barrett being "his guy" is definitely helpful to Barrett's chances. Barrett is also Wilson-esque in terms of his intelligence, study, and mental preparation for the games. He's going to be VERY hard to beat in a competition.

As a Buckeye fan, I'm happy Cardale is coming back. I too, was very impressed with the maturity he showed during the press conference. That being said, I don't think he made the right decision. He would have had no pressure to start right away in the NFL. He could have soaked up a few years of NFL coaching, earning good money now, and being closer to contract #2 than he will be when he does enter.

OP
OP
xgeoff

xgeoff

Reaction score
Rat":36n4jxhb said:
kearly":36n4jxhb said:
As impressive as Cardale was in those last three games, I just don't see how you can bench JT Barrett if he's recovered. Cardale was amazing, but I think Barrett was on his own level by the end of the season. I imagine it'd also be difficult to keep a dynamic threat like Braxton Miller off the field, although I think there's a decent chance he'll transfer.

Another thing to consider too, is that Barrett was the only QB of the three that Urban himself recruited. Braxton and Cardale were Tressel's guys. I don't think it'll consciously be a deciding factor, but Barrett being "his guy" is definitely helpful to Barrett's chances. Barrett is also Wilson-esque in terms of his intelligence, study, and mental preparation for the games. He's going to be VERY hard to beat in a competition.

As a Buckeye fan, I'm happy Cardale is coming back. I too, was very impressed with the maturity he showed during the press conference. That being said, I don't think he made the right decision. He would have had no pressure to start right away in the NFL. He could have soaked up a few years of NFL coaching, earning good money now, and being closer to contract #2 than he will be when he does enter.

Exactly, this kid was number three. And number one and two are coming back. Who knows what will happen. I just think that if the kid can be drafted highly, it's a better deal. You can always go back to school. School doesn't prepare you for life anyways.

I hope things work out for the kid, but we'll see if he wins the job.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Did he misspell his own name in his Twitter handle?

3370329.png

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JSeahawks":aqp1cjfu said:
pmedic920":aqp1cjfu said:

in his defense apparently he had just got a poor score on an exam he had been studying very hard for. it was frustration.

honestly dont think i wouldve survived high school and college with social media.

GCrow

Reaction score
kearly":zb8quaab said:

Interesting to me that the guy who made maybe the dumbest sounding athlete tweet ever actually turned out to be a smart QB.

This is a guy who's made three collegiate starts and is only a RS sophomore, playing some of the best teams in college football in ultra high leverage games, and yet he was showing the ability to make multiple reads with ease when he wants to and using his mobility to buy time to throw. He does stare down his first read too often, but that could very well be by the design of the offense. Meyer is a smart coach, he wouldn't put too much on Jones' plate in such extreme circumstances.

This is my hold up as well. Did guys like Ryan Tannehill, Andy Dalton or Brandon Weeden ever win three straight games away from home against ranked teams?

It's a moot point but are there people who'd rather draft Brett Hundley or Bryce Petty over Jones this year?

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
He has all the physical tools. You can't teach 6'5" 250 lbs. Plus a real strong arm. He could use more experience. But there is no denying he has some NFL tools there to work with. I have no idea if it will work out for him or not. But he has a chance someday in the NFL.

I don't blame him for wanting to return to college if that is what he wants. But you could argue to go pro too. He probably wants to go back and likes Ohio State. It may be his heart telling him that too.

CPHawk

Reaction score
GCrow":2y60fecn said:
kearly":2y60fecn said:

This is my hold up as well. Did guys like Ryan Tannehill, Andy Dalton or Brandon Weeden ever win three straight games away from home against ranked teams?

It's a moot point but are there people who'd rather draft Brett Hundley or Bryce Petty over Jones this year?

Neither did Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Andrew Luck or Russ Wilson. Winning college games doesn't predict future NFL success. Signed David Greene and Colt McCoy. And if your only talking title, there's a long list of guys who won titles in college and weren't worth a crap in the NFL.