Cardiff fans stand up for the coach

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":3m8hpd4i said:
I guess if there is an incident during a Soccer match or any other sport then it's every other reason other then fan responsibility. Got ya.

Fan responsibility is not the issue...
Saying the sport is the cause is..

Look if you think rioting in an Egyptian soccer stadium as part of a purge of religious conflict, or the battles between Celtic and Ranger fans are similar to Cardiff fans singing at their owner then sure...go on.

Just look a bit deeper is all..

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3iiy4fkz said:
chris98251":3iiy4fkz said:
I guess if there is an incident during a Soccer match or any other sport then it's every other reason other then fan responsibility. Got ya.

Fan responsibility is not the issue...
Saying the sport is the cause is..

Look if you think rioting in an Egyptian soccer stadium as part of a purge of religious conflict, or the battles between Celtic and Ranger fans are similar to Cardiff fans singing at their owner then sure...go on.

Just look a bit deeper is all..

There are no battles between Celtic and Rangers fans in the stadium. There was once in 1980 and they banned alcohol in the stadium after it. Games are well policed. Outside the stadium in rougher parts of town, at the wrong time is where the trouble happens.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Before I come to the UK I was weary of football violence. I have since been to at least 50 games in a variety of stadiums and never encountered any violence or even been threatened. Part of that is because the fans are separated, but, thst said, in Stoke and Fulham, for example, my friends and I were able to drink with opposing fans in the opposing fans' pubs while wearing our Spurs shirts and had a great time. The reactions to the violence of the 80s have made English grounds very safe. I have seen worse at rugby games in New Zealand and frequently hear of much worse at NFL games. Heck, 4 people were stabbed last week at a game,weren't they?

There are certain places I wouldn't go to support Spurs: Rome being an example. But, without doing any research, I'd guess that the UK, Germany, France, Spain, Portugal can go for seasons, if not decades, with barely an incident.

As Glasgow says, violence in the stadium is almost unheard of.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
My point is that a lot of the violence associated with soccer matches aren't necessarily about the sport. The teams become symbols of deeper social/cultural identifiers...the games opportunities to pitch battle.

I know where chris is coming from... Just don't see the Cardiff fans as a reflection of those deeper issues

chris98251

Reaction score
I'll say this and leave it at that, people using sports to promote a political or social statement because of the audience involved whether it's a violent riot or a group of people on the podium of a Olympic event are grandstanding and it doesn't belong there. If the cause your promoting is one that is important the people know about it, especially in this day and age of overwhelming media and communication. Too many innocent people are hurt with the staging of these demonstrations for a cause they have nothing to do with.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":2rlkurf6 said:
I'll say this and leave it at that, people using sports to promote a political or social statement because of the audience involved whether it's a violent riot or a group of people on the podium of a Olympic event are grandstanding and it doesn't belong there. If the cause your promoting is one that is important the people know about it, especially in this day and age of overwhelming media and communication. Too many innocent people are hurt with the staging of these demonstrations for a cause they have nothing to do with.

No argument here Chris.... Its a social phenomenon... And soccer has a history of it, some of which you have read. Its really quite fascinating.

The Cardiff fans are just hard working Welsh folk supporting their small club and its manager in song against a foreign owner.

Not a fair comparison to what you're alluding to. But yes it does exist... Politics, race, religion, economics all have been battled about at the expense of a soccer match. We've been lucky in the US.

British Hawk

Reaction score
Vincent Tan is a total loon. Literally a guy who has acquired a new toy that he doesn't know how to use. This is the problem with obscure owners that no one really knows about - the exact same can be said for the Blackburn Rovers owners (Venkys).

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I bet Cardiff fans weren't complaining when they got a new stadium and promoted to the PL. I remember them playing at Ninian Park in front of 5k and they were always a nasty bunch. Sod em.

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Smurf":idk7lroh said:
chris98251":idk7lroh said:
So threats of riots is ok for fans?

Yes.

Stating passion via rash statements is sort of what soccer fans are known for.

now when they carry out what they say they will do...then thats bad...

I mean, the Sounders fans sing a song about taking the other team, lining them up on against a wall and shooting them....

I agree with Smurf on this. A lot of clubs supporters have chants that aren't exactly "PG".

Gatehawk

Reaction score
British Hawk":1lwqdbez said:
Vincent Tan is a total loon. Literally a guy who has acquired a new toy that he doesn't know how to use. This is the problem with obscure owners that no one really knows about - the exact same can be said for the Blackburn Rovers owners (Venkys).

Vincent Tan seems to think he knows what he's doing, but he really doesn't. I'd say he's acting like a retarded monkey. Who changes an entire image of a club because he doesn't like the way it looked before? He changed the badge to have a dragon, cause he claimed it would be lucky. He changed the club's primary kit color to red, cause he thought it'd be lucky. And recently there was a rumor that he only wants to bring in players who's birth year has an 8 in it, cause he thinks it's lucky. I swear it seems like Tan is using fortune cookies to run this club.