Carroll: Onside kick wasn't called, ball was miss-hit

12thMan

Reaction score
johnnyfever":3to9echc said:
http://www.seahawks.com/video/2015/09/13/seahawks-attempt-onside-kick-open-ot-rams-recover

Watch Burley and Lockette in the above link.
They sure don't look like they were expecting the traditional onside kick...maybe a pooch kick, as they were flying.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Should have kicked it out of the endzone and make them start at the 20, but what do I know?

kearly

Reaction score
Not saying I buy it, but Hauschka would normally be a lot better on his onside kick form than that. He didn't kick it into the ground, instead he kicked it right at a Rams player. The kick felt like it was halfway between a squib and an onside.

If it really was an onside kick and both Pete and Hauschka are lying, then it was a pretty bad kick.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
:187734: Regardless of why or how, it was a definite head scratcher with a bad result.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Seems pretty clear it was intended, by Pete, to be a "tweener" kick with the opportunity to recover it like an onside kick, and no opportunity for Austin to return it for a TD.

Pete wouldn't throw Hauschka under the bus that way. He would give an accurate answer on a question like that.
Hauschka himself acknowledged the mis-hit.

News flash: World-class soccer players all too often mis-hit a much more predictable *round* (spheroid) ball. It's not that far out of line to think that a pro football kicker could mis-hit a much less predictable oblate elliptical spheroid.

Heck, this issue of bad physical execution even affects NBA MVP-level players.
[youtube]0Vkq9BcZQqY[/youtube]

nanomoz

Reaction score
Lots of ego on the staff, for good and bad. Carroll wanted a special teams cookie against Fisher, would gets a few against the Hawks every year. The priority should have been to boot the damn ball outta the end zone like the Rams did several times, but maybe Hausch doesn't have the leg. Even in a dome.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Those of you who know so much that you can call Pete a liar need to find a new team to follow, as you are not football fans. Maybe drink water during the next game so you can keep your collective heads into the game...
Losers...!!

sc85sis

Reaction score
He didn't throw Hausch under the bus. He said "we" didn't hit it. Hausch is the one who said he kicked it wrong.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Pooch or squib is just as bad a call. Higher probability that something goes wrong there than simply trying to kick it out of the endzone. Also, we've kept all these marginal players on the team specifically to play ST coverage. Why exactly did we do that if we don't trust them to cover kick returners?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
DavidSeven":31cv36yi said:
Pooch or squib is just as bad a call. Higher probability that something goes wrong there than simply trying to kick it out of the endzone. Also, we've kept all these marginal players on the team specifically to play ST coverage. Why exactly did we do that if we don't trust them to cover kick returners?

A pooch kick to the 20, because they thought they could exploit some weakness in their blocking unit, would not be nearly as bad a call as an onside kick to start an overtime.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I mentioned this in Aros's thread. Danny O'Neil talked to somebody with the officiating crew or the people that review the officials' calls. That person told him that had the Hawks recovered that kick and then scored a field goal the game would have been over because the kick and turnover would have counted as the Rams' first try or possession in OT.

I think the plan was to avoid Austin, and also see if they could recover the kick deep in Rams territory.

RiverDog

Reaction score
HawkFan72":39zom0pp said:
If he meant to kick it onsides, then Hauschka kicked it way too far. On an onside kick, you want to kick it 10 yards so your guys can get it just past where they are allowed to touch the ball. That ball was kicked 15+ yards in the air. Even if it was supposed to be onsides, it was kicked way too far. If Hauschka had kicked it 10 yards, the Seahawks actually had a good chance to recover as the Rams were playing pretty far back.

That was my thought, too. Either you hit the top tip of the ball and make it bounce ala the NFCCG or you roll it on the ground. The first thing they teach and encourage the return team on onside kick attempts is that you can fair catch a kickoff as long as it doesn't hit the ground first.

I understand trying to keep the ball away from Austin, but in a domed stadium, there was a good chance that Hauschka could have kicked that out of the end zone. Plus our kickoff coverage wasn't that bad anyway.

I had a hard time believing Pete's story, too. Hauschka couldn't have missed it that badly. A pooch kick would need to cover over twice the distance that thing covered. A guy that kicks an absolutely perfect onside kick in the NFCCG misses a much easier pooch kick that badly? I say horse pucky.

RiverDog

Reaction score
hawknation2015":92pexb39 said:
nbk35zw":92pexb39 said:
This I s a flat out lie.

A lot of people jumped to conclusions. In hindsight, it was clearly a poor pooch by Hauschka.

Perhaps, but I wouldn't say that so conclusively. All Hauschka has to do in practices is to practice kicks like that, and as we saw in the NFCCG, he's damn good at it. What are the odds that in a dome and in perfect field conditions that he's going to miss a ball that is supposed to travel 40 yards so badly that it only goes 15?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
RiverDog":2llpwpng said:
hawknation2015":2llpwpng said:
nbk35zw":2llpwpng said:
This I s a flat out lie.

A lot of people jumped to conclusions. In hindsight, it was clearly a poor pooch by Hauschka.

Perhaps, but I wouldn't say that so conclusively. All Hauschka has to do in practices is to practice kicks like that, and as we saw in the NFCCG, he's damn good at it. What are the odds that in a dome and in perfect field conditions that he's going to miss a ball that is supposed to travel 40 yards so badly that it only goes 15?

The answer is it's more likely for Hauschka to miss that kick than it is for Hauschka and Carroll to lie about it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1g2bekx2 said:
RiverDog":1g2bekx2 said:
hawknation2015":1g2bekx2 said:
nbk35zw":1g2bekx2 said:
This I s a flat out lie.

The answer is it's more likely for Hauschka to miss that kick than it is for Hauschka and Carroll to lie about it.

Good point. Still rolling my eyes, though. I guess dogs do sometimes eat the homework.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Bailey meant to fall down while blocking the pass too.

Latest posts