Carroll: Onside kick wasn't called, ball was miss-hit

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Even if we'd kicked it deep they probably go down the field and score. They were moving the ball on us easily at that time.

They were better today

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Carroll is a disciple of Bill Walsh, among others. Walsh was one of the pioneers of the pooch kick, using it successfully to catch opponents by surprise, testing the hands of their blockers, and often pinning them deep in their own territory. In Super Bowl XVI, Walsh called for two pooch kicks: the first pinned the Bengals deep in their own territory, and after forcing a punt, the resulting good field position led to a 49ers field goal; the second led to the Bengals dropping the ball, which the 49ers recovered.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":3vwcf4v4 said:
Not saying I buy it, but Hauschka would normally be a lot better on his onside kick form than that. He didn't kick it into the ground, instead he kicked it right at a Rams player. The kick felt like it was halfway between a squib and an onside.

If it really was an onside kick and both Pete and Hauschka are lying, then it was a pretty bad kick.

Kind of like what happens when you decelerate on a golf shot. Maybe a chili dip.

SUhawk

Reaction score
A FLAT out lie or miscommuincation? I doubt hes lying..

RW92

Reaction score
nbk35zw":35aujzd3 said:
This I s a flat out lie.

You are right on the money. Too much bad karma going on here. Pete is lying to his team, the media, and his fans. That was the worst damage control I've seen in a long time. He literally threw his kicker under the bus and was very dismissive with his answer during the press conference. Someone has to press him on this. Because one lie will lead to another cover up and another. If he thinks we are to believe that the kick was supposed to land somewhere over the Rams heads and land around the 20 yard line because they saw a weakness in their formation and recover the ball; come on, try again. It just doesn't hold water. The same can be said on how he skirted around the question, "was Kam missed out there today?" Damn right he was missed. Just ask Dion Bailey.

Give me an honest coach any day. But I'm loosing my patience with Pete Carol after flat out not telling the truth. And if he is not careful he will start to loose the confidence of his team as well.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
RW92":1sulv52a said:
nbk35zw":1sulv52a said:
This I s a flat out lie.

You are right on the money. Too much bad karma going on here. Pete is lying to his team, the media, and his fans. That was the worst damage control I've seen in a long time. He literally threw his kicker under the bus and was very dismissive with his answer during the press conference. Someone has to press him on this. Because one lie will lead to another cover up and another. If he thinks we are to believe that the kick was supposed to land somewhere over the Rams heads and land around the 20 yard line because they saw a weakness in their formation and recover the ball; come on, try again. It just doesn't hold water. The same can be said on how he skirted around the question, "was Kam missed out there today?" Damn right he was missed. Just ask Dion Bailey.

Give me an honest coach any day. But I'm loosing my patience with Pete Carol after flat out not telling the truth. And if he is not careful he will start to loose the confidence of his team as well.

It's very possible there was a miscommunication with Hauschka, leading to him botching the kick.

RiverDog

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2uyx8fcb said:
RW92":2uyx8fcb said:
nbk35zw":2uyx8fcb said:
This I s a flat out lie.

It's very possible there was a miscommunication with Hauschka, leading to him botching the kick.

But I thought you said that both Hauchka and Carroll would both have to have been lying, which suggests to me that you heard Hauscka say that it was supposed to be a pooch kick.

No way was he intending to kick that ball 40 yards downfield. That was an onside kick attempt. Period. Pete is either mis-informed or lying. I don't know which is worse.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
RiverDog":zc7t0i6z said:
hawknation2015":zc7t0i6z said:
RW92":zc7t0i6z said:
nbk35zw":zc7t0i6z said:
This I s a flat out lie.

But I thought you said that both Hauchka and Carroll would both have to have been lying, which suggests to me that you heard Hauscka say that it was supposed to be a pooch kick.

No way was he intending to kick that ball 40 yards downfield. That was an onside kick attempt. Period. Pete is either mis-informed or lying. I don't know which is worse.

If Hauschka thought it was an onside kick, when it was actually a pooch kick, then that may have been Hauschka's mistake. Both Hauschka and Carroll are saying that he messed up the kick.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawknation2015":38as6g5y said:
WellmadeNeighboringAsianpiedstarling

JlESAXk

He really hit the ball gingerly, like he would on an onside kick . . . very strange. Even for an onside kick, it was too low.

I look at it like a golf shot where you're trying to lay it up. More often than not he probably hits it perfectly and it drops in the area they were hoping to expose, but today he whiffed on it.. and this is what happened.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RW92":2e6c2phd said:
nbk35zw":2e6c2phd said:
This I s a flat out lie.

You're "loosing" your patience with a coach that's gone 36-12 since 2012 with 2 conference championships and a 35-point Super Bowl win? Really?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Outfield

Reaction score
I know the emotions are running high and all... but Pete's not going to lie about this. If it was a failed onside kick, it's not like it was THAT BIG of a deal (in terms of the loss and the grand scheme of things) that Pete would go to the effort to lie about it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
It's hard for me to believe that he was trying to kick that ball the necessary distance for it to be considered a pooch kick. I'm not calling Pete and/or Hauschka liars, but even if he hit the ball square it doesn't carry 30 yards in the air. His leg wasn't going fast enough. He dinked it.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2xsc5p38 said:
jlESAXk.gif

He really hit the ball gingerly, like he would on an onside kick . . . very strange. Even for an onside kick, it was too low.

Dang, the more I look at it, the more I think an onside kick SHOULD have been called. But actually executed correctly. The Rams were playing so far back and not expecting an onside kick at all. If Hauschka kicks it only 10 yards instead of 15, the Seahawks have a good shot to catch that thing themselves. The ball would get to the 45 right as Lockette does.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Very good point, it only had to go to the 45, and there were 3 or 4 Hawks right there.
And I don't want to call anyone a liar, but does it really look like he's trying to kick the ball hard enough to get it back to the 20?? Looks like he's trying to do an onside kick.

Still don't get why they didn't just let him drill it to the back of the end zone, and make them earn it. They just got done forcing a couple big turnovers.

elmgrovegnome

Reaction score
One report said Pete Carroll wanted a pooch because he wanted to keep the ball out of Tavon Austin's hands. Austin has not returned kicks for the Rams in two years.

The ref tried to penalize the Rams because Marquez signaled a fair catch when the ball supposedly already touched the ground, which would make the signal illegal. Then the refs said it never hit the ground. So, then why didn't they penalize the Seahawks for tackling a player that made a fair catch?

Latest posts