Carroll: Onside kick wasn't called, ball was miss-hit

ivotuk

Reaction score
They called it a Mortar Kick. There was a big guy that blocks at about the 20 that they didn't think could handle the ball and they were aiming for him.

Denver tried this kick in the SuperB Owl but Percy caught it on the great bounce and took it to the house anyway.

It was a great call, Hauschka screwed it up and caught the the ball stand with his foot.

ivotuk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2b9npqrn said:
hawknation2015":2b9npqrn said:
jlESAXk.gif

He really hit the ball gingerly, like he would on an onside kick . . . very strange. Even for an onside kick, it was too low.

Dang, the more I look at it, the more I think an onside kick SHOULD have been called. But actually executed correctly. The Rams were playing so far back and not expecting an onside kick at all. If Hauschka kicks it only 10 yards instead of 15, the Seahawks have a good shot to catch that thing themselves. The ball would get to the 45 right as Lockette does.

Maybe this was Hauschka thinking the same thing...

bigskydoc

Reaction score
elmgrovegnome":12vgk8on said:
. So, then why didn't they penalize the Seahawks for tackling a player that made a fair catch?

I was wondering if anyone else caught that. We should have been penalized. Even in correcting the call, the refs blew it big time.

- bsd

HOLLYWOOD

Reaction score
Why chance it? The end of the end zone with that kick is the safest bet imo. Let the defense sort it out with them at the 20 and hopefully get decent field position to set up the offense and Hauschka.

Rflagg

Reaction score
For those that think Pete is lying why would he lie about what would be a bad call in the first game of the year after taking full blame for the super bowl bad call?

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HOLLYWOOD":3f23w7ih said:
Why chance it? The end of the end zone with that kick is the safest bet imo. Let the defense sort it out with them at the 20 and hopefully get decent field position to set up the offense and Hauschka.

How many kickoffs did Hausch boom out the back of the EZ? I'm spacing it now.

The strategy actually makes a lot of sense if they're putting an OT out there on a return. Sucks we whiffed on the kick though.. just was one of those days.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Beat Green Bay next week and everyone will forget about this stupid kick.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Pete's covering for Hausch. Haushc decided to do the onside kick on his own, like secret like, you see? He sees those Ram players lining up so far back he thinks he can surprise everyone. Have another last minute glory moment like against GB. He just got a bit excited and messed up. Kicked it too far. Pete loves his players and would never hang them out to dry so he made up the story about a pooch kick.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Rflagg":88jsc8z8 said:
For those that think Pete is lying why would he lie about what would be a bad call in the first game of the year after taking full blame for the super bowl bad call?
Because people are angry and irrational and want to blame everyone and anyone when their team loses.

dbsn2420

Reaction score
It's plausible! AZ burned us with it a few years ago at Quest(at the time). Looking at the reply, there is an awful lot of room between the Rams front line and the second row. Damn Haush kicked the tee further down the field than the ball.

You'll throwing up the BS flag are making me laugh.

It makes completely more sense that Pete put that call on in that situation! :sarcasm_off:

Rex

Reaction score
Well it could have been much worse for the Seahawks on that play since the officials screwed up. Marquez signaled a fair catch yet he was blasted by the Seahawks. Should have been a 15 yard penalty against the Seahawks with the ball at the Seahawks 34 yard line.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Rex":1py3ce6b said:
Well it could have been much worse for the Seahawks on that play since the officials screwed up. Marquez signaled a fair catch yet he was blasted by the Seahawks. Should have been a 15 yard penalty against the Seahawks with the ball at the Seahawks 34 yard line.

If they let the fair catch penalty stand, Seattle would have just kicked off from the 20

Rex

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1ko4tx2p said:
Rex":1ko4tx2p said:

If they let the fair catch penalty stand, Seattle would have just kicked off from the 20

So if the officials got the call completely wrong. Seriously?

RW92

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":lpgq9qxa said:
RW92":lpgq9qxa said:
nbk35zw":lpgq9qxa said:
This I s a flat out lie.

You are right on the money. Too much bad karma going on here. Pete is lying to his team, the media, and his fans. That was the worst damage control I've seen in a long time. He literally threw his kicker under the bus and was very dismissive with his answer during the press conference. Someone has to press him on this. Because one lie will lead to another cover up and another. If he thinks we are to believe that the kick was supposed to land somewhere over the Rams heads and land around the 20 yard line because they saw a weakness in their formation and recover the ball; come on, try again. It just doesn't hold water. The same can be said on how he skirted around the question, "was Kam missed out there today?" Damn right he was missed. Just ask Dion Bailey.

Give me an honest coach any day. But I'm loosing my patience with Pete Carol after flat out not telling the truth. And if he is not careful he will start to loose the confidence of his team as well.

You're "loosing" your patience with a coach that's gone 36-12 since 2012 with 2 conference championships and a 35-point Super Bowl win? Really?

Yes, really. They have a chance to win another Super Bowl and their letting pride and egos get in the way. And if you think he was truthful with the answer he gave for the onside kick then your fooling yourself. Hey I love the team as much as you do. I acknowledge his accomplishments. But don't run from the truth of what is happening today. The past won't win any championships. If Kam were there, we win that game, despite the play calling and poor play by the O-line. If I'm wrong I'll own up to it. But Pete and John feel they can win without Kam. No way that happens. You know it and I know it. Bottom line is you can't hide from the truth. But next Sunday evening has me worried. And if Rodgers sees the weakness in Bailey that I see, he will exploit it. Somehow I just hope I'm wrong.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RW92":1ujmxzgq said:
Yes, really. They have a chance to win another Super Bowl and their letting pride and egos get in the way. And if you think he was truthful with the answer he gave for the onside kick then your fooling yourself. Hey I love the team as much as you do. I acknowledge his accomplishments. But don't run from the truth of what is happening today. The past won't win any championships. If Kam were there, we win that game, despite the play calling and poor play by the O-line. If I'm wrong I'll own up to it. But Pete and John feel they can win without Kam. No way that happens. You know it and I know it. Bottom line is you can't hide from the truth. But next Sunday evening has me worried. And if Rodgers sees the weakness in Bailey that I see, he will exploit it. Somehow I just hope I'm wrong.

536749_friends-iron-man-tony-stark-avengers-eye-roll.gif

1. Yes, he was telling the truth. The plan was to pooch kick it at an offensive lineman the Rams had been using on kickoffs. They wanted to force that player to try to field the equivalent of a knuckleball. Hauschka whiffed on it. It was a fluke play, in much of the same manner Nick Foles flipped a pass over his head seconds before he was about to be sacked on a big 3rd down. Sometimes these things happen.

2. Kam played in St. Louis last season, where you know.. the Rams won. Kam played in St. Louis in 2013, where the Rams were a yard away from forcing OT. Kam played in St. Louis in 2012, where the Rams won. So.. no.. you cannot say with 100% certainty that Kam Chancellor's presence on the football field reverses what happens yesterday.

3. Worry all you want about Sunday evening. If we lose, there are still 14 games left in the season. However, in the same manner the Rams are a thorn in our ass.. the Seahawks are a thorn in the Packers ass. Some teams just match up better with others. Still it's absolutely hilarious you are quote .. again your words here .. "loosing (sic) patience with Pete Carroll"

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2015":cp58dyvm said:
The answer is it's more likely for Hauschka to miss that kick than it is for Hauschka and Carroll to lie about it.

That's my gut feeling as well. That plus any of the other 10 players who lined up for that play would have known it was an onside kick and Pete would have ran the risk that one of those players would contradict his story in a post-game interview, which they didn't. It's just easier to believe Pete's story than to believe he's lying.

RW92

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":20fnffby said:
RW92":20fnffby said:

536749_friends-iron-man-tony-stark-avengers-eye-roll.gif

1. Yes, he was telling the truth. The plan was to pooch kick it at an offensive lineman the Rams had been using on kickoffs. They wanted to force that player to try to field the equivalent of a knuckleball. Hauschka whiffed on it. It was a fluke play, in much of the same manner Nick Foles flipped a pass over his head seconds before he was about to be sacked on a big 3rd down. Sometimes these things happen.

2. Kam played in St. Louis last season, where you know.. the Rams won. Kam played in St. Louis in 2013, where the Rams were a yard away from forcing OT. Kam played in St. Louis in 2012, where the Rams won. So.. no.. you cannot say with 100% certainty that Kam Chancellor's presence on the football field reverses what happens yesterday.

3. Worry all you want about Sunday evening. If we lose, there are still 14 games left in the season. However, in the same manner the Rams are a thorn in our ass.. the Seahawks are a thorn in the Packers ass. Some teams just match up better with others. Still it's absolutely hilarious you are quote .. again your words here .. "loosing (sic) patience with Pete Carroll"

Hey I was hoping to go at least 1-1 in the first two games. 0-2 isn't insurmountable but a tough task to overcome early in the season. You can keep quoting me all you want, but sooner or later reality will have to be faced if Kam doesn't return. And the reason I was loosing patience with Pete was his elusive description on what happened during overtime, the run from the shot gun on 4th and two, and the lack of acknowledging that Dion is having a difficult time and may still have a tough time this Sunday. It's just the facts. Hey I was just as frustrated as you with that loss, and yes admittedly a little hard on our coach. But damn, just tell me the truth. Don't sugar coat it.
And whether or not that was an onside kick, the point is mute now. I just didn't like the explanation, but I'm willing to move on. Last Sunday is over. The Packers are the next team in line, and if the Hawks win I will give you your props Mr. Hasselbeck. Talk to you on Monday.

Latest posts